Subject: Server Problems

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:01:27 -0400

The main server that supports the IETF has had a disk failure that caused 
the server to malfunction. The server was unreachable since around 1:00 am 
ET this morning.

The server is now up and running, but it is still performing a rebuild of 
its RAID array.  As a result, performance on this machine will be very slow 
for the next hour or two.

The server is in need of a memory upgrade as well.  Even after the RAID 
repair is complete, this server will still see some slow and sluggish 
behavior until the memory is upgraded.  A memory upgrade has been attempted 
once before; however, the first attempt failed.

We will be shutting this machine down again on Friday morning at 6:00 am ET 
for repairs.  At that time we will be adding an extra hard disk to act as a 
fail-over for any future disk problems.  We will also be upgrading the 
firmware on the RAID and memory controllers.  This firmware upgrade should 
lessen the possibility of future problems occurring.  Finally, we will also 
add 2GB of system memory to try to alleviate some of the slowness this 
server has been experiencing lately.

Thank you for your patience.

The IETF Secretariat

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce