Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet Printing Protocol (IPP): Event Notifications and Subscriptions' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:36:45 -0400

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'Internet Printing Protocol (IPP): Event Notifications and Subscriptions '
   <draft-ietf-ipp-not-spec-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Internet Printing Protocol (IPP): The 'ippget' Delivery Method for Event 
   Notifications '
   <draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Internet Printing Protocol: Requirements for IPP Notifications '
   <draft-ietf-ipp-not-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

These documents are products of the Internet Printing Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Scott Hollenbeck and Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary

These documents describe extensions to the Internet Printing Protocol/1.1:
Model and Semantics (RFC 2911, RFC 2910). The first extension allows a
client to subscribe to printing related Events.  Subscriptions are modeled
as Subscription Objects.  The Subscription Object specifies that when one
of the specified Events occurs, the Printer delivers an asynchronous Event
Notification to the specified Notification Recipient via the specified
Push or Pull Delivery Method (i.e., protocol).

The second extension is the 'ippget' Pull Delivery Method for use with the
Event Notifications extension. This IPPGET Delivery Method is REQUIRED for
all clients and Printers that support ipp-ntfy.  The Notification Recipient,
acting as a client, fetches (pulls) Event Notifications using the
Get-Notifications operation.

The final document in this set provides a statement of the requirements for
notifications as part of an IPP service.

Working Group Summary

These documents are products of the Internet Printing Protocol Working
Group of the IETF. The Working Group originally developed a general
printer notification framework and three notification schemes, two
based on IPP operations and one based on email. However, a previous
IESG review pass caused the Working Group to eliminate two of the
schemes and move forward with ippget alone.

Protocol Quality

Ned Freed and Scott Hollenbeck reviewed the specification for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce