Subject: Protocol Action: 'File Format for Internet Fax' to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:58:42 -0400

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'Tag Image File Format (TIFF) - image/tiff MIME Sub-type Registration '
  RFC 3302 as a Draft Standard
- 'File Format for Internet Fax '
   <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-14.txt> as a Draft Standard
- 'Tag Image File Format Fax eXtended (TIFF-FX) - image/tiff-fx MIME Sub-type 
   Registration '
   <draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-reg-v2-01.txt> as a Draft Standard

These documents are products of the Internet Fax Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Scott Hollenbeck and Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary
 
This document is a revised version of RFC 2301.  The revisions are
based on discussions and suggestions for improvements that have
been made since RFC 2301 was issued in March 1998, and on the
results of independent implementations and interoperability testing.

This RFC 2301 revision describes the TIFF (Tag Image File Format)
representation of image data specified by the ITU-T Recommendations
for black-and-white and color facsimile. This file format
specification is commonly known as TIFF-FX. It formally defines
minimal, extended and lossless JBIG profiles (Profiles S, F, J) for
black-and-white fax, and base JPEG, lossless JBIG and Mixed Raster
Content profiles (Profiles C, L, M) for color and grayscale fax. 
These profiles correspond to the content of the applicable ITU-T
Recommendations.  In addition, two MIME sub-type registration
documents are part of this request for advancement to draft standard:

draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-reg-v2 (image/tiff-fx) updates RFC 3250.
RFC 3302 (image/tiff).
 
Working Group Summary
 
These documents are products of the Internet Fax Working Group.  There
has been an ongoing discussion about the validity of the implementation
testing, specifically to confirm that at least two independent
implementations of Profile M have been developed and demonstrated.
 
Protocol Quality
 
These documents have been reviewed for the IESG by Scott Hollenbeck.
Implementation reports can be found on the IETF web site:

http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Implementations/rfc2301-implementation-report.txt
(also describes implementations of RFC 3250 as updated by
draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx-reg-v2)

http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Implementations/RFC3302-implementation-report.txt

RFC Editor Note:

Please remove section 1.4 of draft-ietf-fax-tiff-fx and replace with
standard IETF IPR boilerplate in an appropriate location.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce