Subject: Document Action: 'State Machines for Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Peer and Authenticator' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 16:36:24 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'State Machines for Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Peer and 
   Authenticator '
   <draft-ietf-eap-statemachine-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Extensible Authentication Protocol 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   This document describes a set of state machines for EAP peer, EAP
   standalone authenticator (non-pass-through), EAP backend
   authenticator (for use on Authentication, Authorization and
   Accounting (AAA) servers), and EAP full authenticator (for both local
   and pass-through). This set of state machines shows how EAP can be
   implemented to support deployment in either a peer/AP or peer/AP/AAA
   Server environment. The peer and standalone authenticator machines
   are illustrative of how the EAP protocol defined in
   [I-D.ietf-eap-rfc2284bis]  may be implemented.  The backend and full/
   pass-through authenticators illustrate how EAP/AAA protocol support
   defined in [RFC3579] may be implemented. Where there are differences
   [I-D.ietf-eap-rfc2284bis]/[RFC3579] are authoritative.

   This document describes a state machine based on an EAP "Switch"
   model. This model includes  events and actions for the interaction
   between the EAP Switch and EAP methods. A brief description of the
   EAP "Switch" model is given in the Introduction section.

   The State Machine and associated model are informative only.
   Implementations may achieve the same results using different methods.

Working Group Summary
 
   This document is the work of the EAP WG.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce