Subject: Update on AdminRest activities -- consultant hired

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:00:37 -0400

I'm pleased to announce that Harald, Lynn and I have had
a successful search for the consultant position I outlined
in last month's report (copied below).

Carl Malamud has signed on as of June 21, for a six month
contract.  Many of you will know Carl from his extensive 
business experience, including the Internet Multicasting 
Service and the Internet Software Consortium.  Carl has
also worked as a consultant to the Board of Governors
of the Federal Reserve Board, and headed an independent
project resulting in the free availability of SEC EDGAR and other 
US Government documents.  Of course, you will also 
recognize him from his many years of work in the IETF.
We're confident that this range of experience will be most
helpful as we continue to review and refine the recommendations
for the administrative support of the IETF.

I'd like to thank everyone who offered their input to
the search.

Leslie.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Update on AdminRest activities
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 15:59:43 -0400
From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>

Since the Seoul plenary meetings, Harald and I have been
working on our take-away action items.  We had the opportunity
to talk with the ISOC Board in mid-May.  We reviewed briefly the
trajectory set in motion from the AdvComm document, and outlined the
framework that we presented in plenary in Seoul (the "AdminRest"
framework, draft-daigle-adminrest).  Following up on our statements
in Seoul, we asked for support to address some of the cross-organization
and specific organization tasks for current operational needs,
and to support the task of exploring the AdminRest framework to the
extent of producing more of a concrete proposal.  I'm happy to
report that the ISOC BoT was indeed very supportive of this
effort.  The specifics (i.e., ISOC Board resolution) will be
published as part of the ISOC Board meeting minutes.

The highlights of that support include the allocation of
an ISOC budget sum, not to exceed $250,000,  to be spent over a six
month period for personnel, incidental expenses, and legal and
accounting fees to hire and manage a consultant who will complete the
analysis started in RFC 3716 and make recommendations regarding the
organizational requirements and potential organizational models of the
IETF.

The first step, clearly, is to find and hire the appropriate
person.  We have a few people in mind to talk to, but as we can
always use pointers to people we may not have thought of, here's
an outline of the characteristics and expectations we're using
as guidelines:

This is a support function is not intended as a policy-making role,
but intended to execute and clarify the policy set forth by the
IETF leadership, reporting to the ISOC president (as an ISOC project).
Essentially, we are looking for someone we can work with; the
kinds of deliverables and requiremed skills are as outlined below.

Deliverables for the project will include:

     Data Flow:  a set of requirements for implementing appropriate
     tracking of IETF documents and reporting of status across the
     support organizations.

     RFC Editor contract:  a negotiated contract that is agreeable to
     all concerned parties.

     Administrative restructuring:  documentation and support as
     appropriate to the continued evolution of the restructuring
     effort, which is continuously reviewed by the IAB, IESG and the
     rest of the IETF community.

Types of activities/tasks this will include:

 - Assist in drafting the proposed structure/bylaws for the IETF
administrative entity
 - Revising proposed structure/bylaws based on the public review,
including reviews by competent counsel
 - Negotiate the contracts for RFC Editor as a model for eventual use
by the IETF administrative entity
 - Interacting with the RFC Editor, IANA and Secretariat to determine
the requirements for inter-organizational document flow matched to
overall IETF process needs

So from this, we have the required skill set:

- understanding inter-organizational relationships and document flows
- ability in contract negotiation
- insight into organization formalization
- experience with the creation of organizations (preferably nonprofits)
- understanding of the legal aspects of such an organization
- understanding of the financial aspects of such an organization

(all of this with the understanding that specific other expertise,
e.g., financial and legal advice, can be brought in on an as-needed
basis).

We hope to identify a suitable candidate in the upcoming weeks.

Leslie.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reality:
     Yours to discover."
                                -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reality:
     Yours to discover."
                                -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce