Subject: RFC 3817 on Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) Active Discovery Relay for PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:08:08 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3817

        Title:      Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) Active Discovery
                    Relay for PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)
        Author(s):  W. Townsley, R. da Silva
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       June 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 37765
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-dasilva-l2tp-relaysvc-08.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3817.txt

The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) provides a standard method for
transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links.
Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP), facilitates the tunneling of PPP
packets across an intervening packet-switched network.  And yet a
third protocol, PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) describes how to build PPP
sessions and to encapsulate PPP packets over Ethernet.

L2TP Active Discovery Relay for PPPoE describes a method to relay
Active Discovery and Service Selection functionality from PPPoE over
the reliable control channel within L2TP.  Two new L2TP control
message types and associated PPPoE-specific Attribute Value Pairs
(AVPs) for L2TP are defined.  This relay mechanism provides enhanced
integration of a specific feature in the PPPoE tunneling protocol
with L2TP.

This document is a product of the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol
Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce