Subject: RFC 3824 on Using E.164 numbers with the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:24:46 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3824

        Title:      Using E.164 numbers with the Session Initiation
                    Protocol (SIP)
        Author(s):  J. Peterson, H. Liu, J. Yu, B. Campbell
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       June 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 36535
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipping-e164-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3824.txt

There are a number of contexts in which telephone numbers are
employed by Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) applications, many of
which can be addressed by ENUM.  Although SIP was one of the primary
applications for which ENUM was created, there is nevertheless a need
to define procedures for integrating ENUM with SIP
implementations.  This document illustrates how the two protocols
might work in concert, and clarifies the authoring and processing of
ENUM records for SIP applications.  It also provides guidelines for 
instances in which ENUM, for whatever reason, cannot be used to
resolve a telephone number.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Proposal
Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce