Subject: Protocol Action: 'Procedures for Modifying RSVP' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:00:47 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Procedures for Modifying RSVP '
   <draft-kompella-rsvp-change-02.txt> as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Allison Mankin.

Technical Summary

This document specifies procedures for modifying the Resource Reservation
Protocol (RSVP), with respect to RFC documentation of  changes.  The goal is
to ensure that RSVP changes are coordinated technically.  The document
also includes an IANA Considerations section that lays out new assignment 
guidelines for number spaces for RSVP messages, object classes, class-types 
and sub-objects.  It obsoletes pre-existing, incomplete IANA Considerations 
for RSVP.

Working Group Summary

The document was not the product of a Working Group.  It was reviewed 
originally by the Transport Working Group (tsvwg), since RSVP was 
originally developed in the Transport Area.  Last Call comments were 
requested specifically from the mpls, ccamp and nsis working groups, and 
were received from some  participants, indicating support in most cases.  
One negative comment was received from a
ccamp participant, expressing concern at the requirement 
for standards track RFC for object classes and class-types, 
stating this to be a problem for other standards bodies.
Last Call comments were also requested specifically
from a peer SDO body with a strong interest in RSVP extension, SG 15, 
question 14/15.  Their response as well was to question the 
requirement for standards track documentation  It is, however,
the intent of this memo to cause major extensions of RSVP
to have organization-based SMI prefixes, in which case
no RFC is required, to have IETF standardization, or to have
one of  a very limited set of experimental assigned numbers.

Protocol Quality

The document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.  The IANA 
Considerations number ranges have been used to guide some assignments
ahead of the approval of the document (in an advisory fashion), thus
it can be said there has been some testing of the ranges.   Thomas Narten
conducted an extremely detailed additional review of this document.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce