Subject: Document Action: 'The 'application/soap+xml' media type' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:57:41 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The 'application/soap+xml' media type '
   <draft-baker-soap-media-reg-06.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product 
of an IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Scott Hollenbeck.

Technical Summary
 
This document defines the "application/soap+xml" media type which can
be used to describe SOAP 1.2 messages serialized as XML 1.0.
 
Working Group Summary

This document is an individual submission.  It is not the product of
an IETF working group.  The SOAP specification is a product of the
World Wide Web Consortium.
 
Protocol Quality
 
Scott Hollenbeck has reviewed the spec for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note:

In section 3, change:

--8<--
"action": This optional parameter can be used to specify the URI that 
identifies the intent of the message. In SOAP 1.2, it serves a similar 
purpose as the SOAPAction HTTP header field did in SOAP 1.1. Namely, 
its value identifies the intent of the message.

The value of the action parameter is an absolute URI-reference as 
defined by RFC 2396 [RFC2396]. SOAP places no restrictions on the 
specificity of the URI or that it is resolvable. Although the purpose 
of the action parameter is to indicate the intent of the SOAP message 
there is no mechanism for automatically computing the value based on 
the SOAP envelope. In other words, the value has to be determined out 
of band. It is recommended that the same value be used to identify sets 
of message types that are logically connected in some manner, for 
example part of the same "service". It is strongly RECOMMENDED that the 
URI be globally unique and stable over time.

The presence and content of the action parameter MAY be used by servers 
such as firewalls to appropriately filter SOAP messages and it may be 
used by servers to facilitate dispatching of SOAP messages to internal 
message handlers etc. It SHOULD NOT be used as an insecure form of 
access authorization. Use of the action parameter is OPTIONAL. SOAP 
Receivers MAY use it as a hint to optimize processing, but SHOULD NOT 
require its presence in order to operate.
-->8--

to

--8<--
"action": This optional parameter can be used to specify the URI that 
identifies the intent of the message. In SOAP 1.2, it serves a similar 
purpose as the SOAPAction HTTP header field did in SOAP 1.1. Namely, 
its value identifies the intent of the message.

The value of the action parameter is an absolute URI-reference as 
defined by RFC 2396 [RFC2396], which MUST be non-empty. SOAP places no 
restrictions on the specificity of the URI or that it is resolvable. 
Although the purpose of the action parameter is to indicate the intent 
of the SOAP message there is no mechanism for automatically computing 
the value based on the SOAP envelope. In other words, the value has to 
be determined out of band. It is recommended that the same value be 
used to identify sets of message types that are logically connected in 
some manner, for example part of the same "service". It is strongly 
RECOMMENDED that the URI be globally unique and stable over time.

Use of the action parameter is OPTIONAL. SOAP Receivers MAY use it as a 
hint to optimize processing, but SHOULD NOT require its presence in 
order to operate.
-->8--

Add the following to the end of the Security Considerations section
of the registration template found in section 3:

--8<--
The action parameter is not a security mechanism, and SHOULD NOT be 
used for authentication. If the action parameter is used to make 
decisions (e.g., dispatch, filtering), it is RECOMMENDED that the basis 
for such decisions should be confirmed by examining the SOAP Envelope.
-->8--

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce