Subject: Protocol Action: 'Clarifying when Standards Track Documents may Refer Normatively to Documents at a Lower Level' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:36:13 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Clarifying when Standards Track Documents may Refer Normatively to Documents 
   at a Lower Level '
   <draft-ymbk-downref-03.txt> as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Harald Alvestrand.

Technical Summary

   IETF procedures generally require that a standards track RFC may not
   have a normative reference to a document at a lower standards level.
   For example a standards track document may not have a normative
   reference to an informational RFC.  There are needs for exceptions to
   this rule, often caused by the IETF using informational RFCs to
   describe non-IETF standards, or IETF-specific modes of use of such
   standards. This document clarifies the procedure used in these
   circumstances.

Working Group Summary
 
   This document has been developed based on IESG experience with
   reference issues. It has been discussed in the IESG and with the RFC Editor

   There was one (positive) Last Call comment.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Harald Alvestrand.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce