Subject: Protocol Action: 'Vendor-Identifying Vendor Options for DHCPv4' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:30:16 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Vendor-Identifying Vendor Options for DHCPv4 '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-vendor-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

The DHCP options for Vendor Class and Vendor-Specific Information can
be limiting or ambiguous when a DHCP client represents multiple
vendors.  This document defines two new options, modeled on the IPv6
options for vendor class and vendor-specific information, which
contain Enterprise Numbers to remove ambiguity.

Working Group Summary

The WG agrees that these options are a useful extension to DHCPv4.
The corresponding options in DHCPv6 were based on deployment
experience with the vendor type (option 60) and vendor-specific
information (option 43) options.

Protocol Quality

The protocol in this standard is not currently implemented.  We expect
implementation in new DHCP clients, especially in dedicated devices
like DOCSIS modems and RFID readers, which may require class and
option information based on both the type of device and the vendor of
the device.  We don't have any specific information about
implementation plans.  

This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce