Subject: Protocol Action: 'A model for IETF Process Experiments' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:47:50 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A model for IETF Process Experiments '
   <draft-klensin-process-july14-02.txt> as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Harald Alvestrand.

Technical Summary
 
 This document proposes a way to change IETF processes that provides
 notice to the community (via Last Call), a permanent record (via RFCs)
 and a reasonable expectation that the process changes will be evaluated
 for whether they worked or not, and rolled back if they did not work.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 This document was discussed on the [email-masked] mailing list,
 and the idea was presented at the Seoul IETF, in the Gen-Area meeting.
 The Last Call comments were positive to the idea.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Harald Alvestrand.

NOTE TO RFC EDITOR:

Please replace the abstract with the following:

    The IETF has designed process changes over the last ten
    years in one of two ways: announcement by the IESG
    (sometimes based on informal agreements with limited
    community involvement and awareness), and formal use of
    the same mechanism as is used for protocol
    specification.

    This document proposes a middle-ground approach to the system of
    making changes to IETF process, one that employs three steps.  First,
    propose and carry out an experiment.  Second, evaluate the experiment.
    Finally, establish permanent procedures based on operational experience.

Please delete the following text from the end of section 1:

  We note that, if the procedures the IESG has adopted (and procedural
  exceptions it has made) over the last decade are legitimate, then the
  IESG has the authority to institute the changes proposed here by
  bootstrapping the proposed process.

Please make RFC 2026 a normative reference, and all other references 
informational.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce