Subject: Tool support work - forming the TOOLS team

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:11:49 -0400

Hi All,

With major tool support for the IESG's document reviews in place, in
form of the ID-tracker, tool support is now being planned for other
IETF functions.

Since the whole community is the user of these tools, rather than
primarily the IESG, guidance in the development of these tools should
also come from a wider segment of the community than just the IESG.

We are forming a small team, to be called TOOLS, to guide the
development of these tools.  The first tool the team will consider is an
I-D submission tool for the community and Secretariat. With this in
place, other tools will  follow;  under consideration are issue tracking
tools for workgroups and other tools that support the community
interface with the Secretariat.

Secretariat-related tools are developed by the Secretariat's developers.
The key point about the Secretariat developers is that they are not
directly part of the IETF community, so they need requirements and
structure at the starting points, and as changes/fixes are needed.  The
team will be the voice for this.

Other tools may be adaptations of existing open source tools, ideally in
cooperation with the original developers/maintainers of the tools.
Again, the TOOLS team will be responsible for communicating IETF
specific needs to the developers.

Guidance may be done by specification, but other methods like
storyboarding or prototyping may be just as appropriate.  This would be
up to the team, in cooperation with tool developers.

The Chair will report to the IETF community regularly.

If you are interested in volunteering for this team, please contact:
Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]> or Allison Mankin
<[email-masked]> by Tuesday, July 20th.  Henrik will Chair the TOOLS
Team.  Team members will be selected by the Chair with the advice of
Allison Mankin and Bill Fenner (both ex officio), and with the IETF
Chair's consent.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce