Subject: Protocol Action: 'Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:28:35 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-reclassify-options-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

The DHCPv4 option codes defined for public use in RFC 2131 and RFC
2132, option codes 1-127, are nearly all assigned to DHCP
options.  Efforts such as the reclamation of unused DHCP option codes
in RFC 3679 help to extend the life of the option code space, but
ultimately the space is expected to be exhausted.

This document reclassifies much of the site-specific option range,
option codes 128-254, which has not been widely used for its original
intended purpose, to be used as option codes for publicly defined DHCP
options.' 

There are known to be some devices that use options in the range of
128-254 in undocumented ways.  This document defines a process through
which an option code is provisionally marked as a candidate for
assignment to a DHCP option and subject to public review and comment
before actual assignment.  Vendors will be encouraged to bring
forward specifications for options that currently use option codes that
are reclassified by this document.

Working Group Summary

The dhc WG reviewed several alternative mechanisms for extending the
option code space before choosing the mechanism specified in this
document.  The other mechanisms were described in earlier drafts of
the document.  The WG reviewed the alternatives in two WG meetings and
on the WG mailing list.

Protocol Quality

The mechanism for review and reclassification of option codes in this
document allows for public review of reclassifed option codes to
avoid conflict with the use of DHCP option codes by existing and
deployed devices.

This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce