Subject: Protocol Action: 'Embedding the Rendezvous Point (RP) Address in an IPv6 Multicast Address' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:43:21 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Embedding the Rendezvous Point (RP) Address in an IPv6 Multicast Address '
   <draft-ietf-mboned-embeddedrp-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the MBONE Deployment Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Kessens and Bert Wijnen.

RFC Editor Note:

Please replace in section 3:
OLD:
   R = 1 indicates a multicast address that embeds the address on the
   RP.  Then P MUST be set to 1, and consequently T MUST be set to 1, as
   specified in [RFC3306].  In effect, this implies the prefix
   FF70::/12.
                                                                                
NEW:
   R = 1 indicates a multicast address that embeds the address on the
   RP.  Then P MUST be set to 1, and consequently T MUST be set to 1, as
   specified in [RFC3306].  In effect, this implies the prefix
   FF70::/12.  In this case, the last 4 bits of the previously reserved
   field are interpreted as embedding the RP interface ID, as specified
   in this memo.
                                                                               
And delete the second-to-last paragraph in Section 3:                           

   In the case that R = 1, the last 4 bits of the previously reserved
   field are interpreted as embedding the RP interface ID, as specified
   in this memo.

Technical Summary
 
 This memo defines an address allocation policy in which the address
 of the Rendezvous Point (RP) is encoded in an IPv6 multicast group
 address.  For Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM),
 this can be seen as a specification of a group-to-RP mapping
 mechanism.  This allows an easy deployment of scalable inter-domain
 multicast, and simplifies the intra-domain multicast configuration as
 well.  This memo updates the addressing format presented in RFC 3306.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 This document is a product of the mboned working group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 David Kessens reviewed this document for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce