Subject: RFC 3833 on Threat Analysis of the Domain Name System (DNS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:57:39 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3833

        Title:      Threat Analysis of the Domain Name System (DNS)
        Author(s):  D. Atkins, R. Austein
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       August 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 39303
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsext-dns-threats-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3833.txt

Although the DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC) have been under
development for most of the last decade, the IETF has never written
down the specific set of threats against which DNSSEC is designed to
protect.  Among other drawbacks, this cart-before-the-horse situation
has made it difficult to determine whether DNSSEC meets its design
goals, since its design goals are not well specified.  This note
attempts to document some of the known threats to the DNS, and, in
doing so, attempts to measure to what extent (if any) DNSSEC is a
useful tool in defending against these threats.

This document is a product of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the
IETF.  

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce