Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet Storage Name Service (iSNS)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:01:23 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Internet Storage Name Service (iSNS) '
   <draft-ietf-ips-isns-22.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Storage Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary

   iSNS allows the administrator to go beyond a simple device-by-device
   management model, where each storage device is manually and
   individually configured with its own list of known initiators and
   targets.  Using the iSNS, each storage device subordinates its
   discovery and management responsibilities to the iSNS server.  The
   iSNS server thereby serves as the consolidated configuration point
   through which management stations can configure and manage the
   entire storage network, including both iSCSI and Fibre Channel
   devices.   This specification records consensus that iSNS is optional
   to implement for iSCSI and mandatory for iFCP.

    The specification includes server authentication among other security 
    services, as well as a security analysis.

   Working Group Summary

    The working group conducted thorough review of this document 
    and had strong consensus to advance this document.

   Protocol Quality

    The specification was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce