Subject: RFC 3913 on Border Gateway Multicast Protocol (BGMP): Protocol Specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:05:00 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3913

        Title:      Border Gateway Multicast Protocol (BGMP):
                    Protocol Specification
        Author(s):  D. Thaler
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       September 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      41
        Characters: 97443
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bgmp-spec-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3913.txt

This document describes the Border Gateway Multicast Protocol (BGMP),
a protocol for inter-domain multicast routing.  BGMP builds shared
trees for active multicast groups, and optionally allows receiver
domains to build source-specific, inter-domain, distribution branches
where needed.  BGMP natively supports "source-specific multicast"
(SSM).  To also support "any-source multicast" (ASM), BGMP requires
that each multicast group be associated with a single root (in BGMP it
is referred to as the root domain).  It requires that different ranges
of the multicast address space are associated (e.g., with 
Unicast-Prefix-Based Multicast addressing) with different domains.
Each of these domains then becomes the root of the shared domain-trees
for all groups in its range.  Multicast participants will generally
receive better multicast service if the session initiator's address
allocator selects addresses from its own domain's part of the space,
thereby causing the root domain to be local to at least one of the
session participants.

This document is a product of the Border Gateway Multicast Protocol
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce