Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB (hubmib)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:31:23 -0400

The charter of the Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB (hubmib) working group 
in the Operations and Management Area of the IETF has been updated.  
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or 
the working group Chairs.

Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB (hubmib)
----------------------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>
David Kessens <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe your_email_address
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hubmib/index.html

Description of Working Group:
The Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB WG is Chartered to define
a set of managed objects that instrument devices, MAUs and
interfaces that conform to the IEEE 802.3 standard for Ethernet.
This set of objects should be largely compliant with, and even
draw from IEEE 802.3, although there is no requirement that any
specific object be present or absent.

Close coordination with hardware standards development in
IEEE 802.3 will be followed. The WG chair will support the
communication with IEEE 802.3. When objects are added that
require hardware support, IEEE 802.3 shall be informed,
so that they consider to add them to their draft/standard.

The MIB object definitions produced will be for use by SNMP and
will be adequately consistent with other SNMP objects, standards
and conventions.

The working group will work on the following MIB modules
for the IEEE 802.3ah (Ethernet First Mile) interfaces and
devices:

- Ethernet First Mile (EFM) MIB
common attributes, OAM operations and statistics

- Copper EFM MIB

- Ethernet Passive Optical Networks (EPON) MIB

The base for the definition of the managed objects in these
MIB modules will be the management-related clauses in IEEE
802.3ah specification. The working group will also take
into consideration management objects defined by other
Working Groups in the IETF (ADSL MIB for example), or other
standard bodies (G.983.2), will avoid work duplication,
and describe the relationship with these specifications.

The working group will also work on a revision of the MAU MIB
so that it refers a IANA maintained TC for MAU types. This
will allow to add new MAU types in the future as the Ethernet
evolution requires without re-opening the MAU MIB RFC each time.

Goals and Milestones:
Done Meet at the 41st IETF to discuss implementation experience
of RFC 2108 and RFC 2239, and to consider future extensions
for Full Duplex operation and 1 Gigabit Ethernet Speeds
Done Gather implementation experience feedback concerning RFC 2108
and RFC 2239
Done Post Internet-Draft(s) for Full Duplex and 1 Gigabit Ethernet
MIB extensions
Done Meet at the 42nd IETF to discuss the Internet-Draft(s) and
issue recomendations concerning advancement of RFC 2108 and
RFC 2239 on the standards track
Done Post revised Internet-Draft(s)
Done Conduct WG Last Call on Internet-Draft(s)
Done Submit final version of the Internet-Draft(s) to the IESG for
consideration as Proposed Standards
Done Submit revised version of the Internet-Drafts, following the
Area Directorate review
Done Submit final versions of the MAU MIB and Ethernet-like
Interfaces MIB Internet-Draft(s) to the IESG for consideration
as Proposed Standards
Done Submit the Ethernet Chipsets document to IESG for consideration
as an Informational RFC
Done Begin identifying new work items for future work
Done Issue WG Drafts for MIBs for P802.3ae & P802.3af
Done Issue revised WG Drafts for MIBs for P802.3ae/P802.3af
Done Gather implementation experience concerning WG documents already
on the standards track
Done WG Last Call All documents
Done Issue revised WG drafts for existing stds track documents if so
required by the implementation reports
Done Forward Internet-Drafts to the AD/IESG Stds track considerations
Done Power Ethernet MIB Last Call
Done Submit Power Ethernet MIB to AD/IESG for Standards track consideration
Done Individual submissions for the EFM MIB modules
Done First round of WG Internet-Drafts for the EFM MIB modules
Done WG Last Call
Oct 04 Second Working Group Last Call for (3) EFM MIB documents
Nov 04 Submit (3) EFM MIB Internet-Drafts to the IESG for
consideration as Proposed Standards
Oct 04 Initial Draft for updated MAU MIB document
Dec 04 WG Last Call for updated MAU MIB document
Jan 05: Submit updated MAU MIB document to the IESG for consideration as
a Proposed standard, replacing RFC 3636.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce