Subject: Checking of boilerplate for Internet-Drafts

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:10:47 -0400

Hello,

A bit before the August IETF, we announced that it was time to use the new 
boilerplate from RFC 3667 in internet-drafts, and instructed the secretariat to 
heck that boilerplate.
Due to some confusion, and the impending meeting, we asked them to stop checking
after a while.

But we have to move on.... it is now almost a year since RFC 3667 was 
published, and the legal issues that the document was set to address ARE 
important to the continued operation of the IETF.

I have therefore instructed the secretariat to check some items of the 
boilerplate again, starting from September 28, 2004.

On the particular issue of the boilerplate that got changed between RFC 3667 
and the "fixed" draft-ietf-ipr-subm-rights-fix, I have asked them to check that 
 statement is present, and that it contains words that indicate that it was 
intended to be a conformant boilerplate - we will make those instructions 
tighter once draft-ietf-ipr-subm-rights-fix is published, but not now.

Instructions for making conformant drafts can be found at the usual URL:
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt

Pay particular attention to the section "Notices required in internet-drafts".

(Note: Any recent version of xml2rfc should be compatible with these rules, 
provided you use the "rfc ipr=full3667" directive)

If the secretariat finds a violation of the rules, the secretariat is to return
the wording of the violated rule to the submitter; this should eliminate 
ambiguity about WHAT is wrong with a submission.

With the hope of being able to go forward without worrying,

                            Harald

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce