Subject: RFC 3890 on A Transport Independent Bandwidth Modifier for the Session Description Protocol (SDP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:59:10 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3890

        Title:      A Transport Independent Bandwidth Modifier
                    for the Session Description Protocol (SDP)
        Author(s):  M. Westerlund
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 49894
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bwparam-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3890.txt

This document defines a Session Description Protocol (SDP) Transport
Independent Application Specific Maximum (TIAS) bandwidth modifier
that does not include transport overhead; instead an additional packet
rate attribute is defined.  The transport independent bit-rate value
together with the maximum packet rate can then be used to calculate
the real bit-rate over the transport actually used.

The existing SDP bandwidth modifiers and their values include the
bandwidth needed for the transport and IP layers.  When using SDP with
protocols like the Session Announcement Protocol (SAP), the Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP), and the Real-Time Streaming Protocol
(RTSP), and when the involved hosts has different transport overhead,
for example due to different IP versions, the interpretation of what
lower layer bandwidths are included is not clear.

This document is a product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session
Control Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce