Subject: NomCom 2004/05 Call for Volunteers

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 16:46:59 -0400

This is a call for volunteers to participate in the 2004/05
IETF Nominations Committee, the committee that will select
this year's nominees for the IAB and IESG. Details about
the Nominations Committee process can be found in RFC
3777.

The NomCom is the IETF's way of choosing its leadership.
Typically, half of the IAB and half of the IESG is selected
each year. It is possible that the NomCom will have to
fill more or fewer slots than this, due to the creation or
elimination of positions by the IESG, resignations, transfers,
etc..

IESG members whose terms are up are:

Harald Alvestrand -- IETF Chair
Bill Fenner -- Routing Area
Ted Hardie -- Applications Area
Russ Housley -- Security Area
David Kessens -- Operations & Management Area
Thomas Narten -- Internet Area
Jon Peterson -- Transport Area

IAB members whose terms are up are:

Bernard Aboba
Rob Austein
Sally Floyd
Jun-ichiro Itojun Hagino
Mark Handley
Geoff Huston

For the NomCom to work as it should, the pool from which
the volunteers are chosen should be as large as possible. The
more people who volunteer, the better chance we have of
choosing a random yet representative cross section of the IETF
population. Volunteering for the NomCom is also a great way
of serving the IETF community -- so please volunteer!

NomCom members are barred from nomination during the year
they serve, even if they later resign. Therefore, being selected
for NomCom provides complete immunity against selection for the
IAB or IESG during that year.

People who volunteer should be sure that they can afford the
time, several hours per week for the next 4-5 months. The
task basically involves the following activities:

- Reading candidates statements
- Participating in a weekly 2 hour conference call
- Attending the IETF meetings held during the selection process
- Conducting interviews with candidates
- Speaking to IETF participants about the candidates, the job
requirements and the process

All NomCom deliberations and supporting information that relates
to specific nominees, candidates, and confirmed candidates is
confidential. The NomCom members will be exposed to
confidential information as a result of their deliberations, their
interactions with those they consult, and those who provide
requested supporting information. All members are expected to
handle this information in a manner consistent with its
sensitivity.

To qualify as a volunteer, a person needs to have attended 3
out of the last 5 IETF meetings. Anyone who meets this
requirement is invited to volunteer by emailing your name,
telephone number(s), email address and primary affiliation to
[email-masked] no later than Tuesday, October 5, 2004. Please
put "NOMCOM VOLUNTEER" in the subject line.

Once the list of volunteers closes it will be announced and
published at the following URL:

http://www.ietf.org/nomcom/index.html

We will then run the selection process and announce results the
week of October 11, 2004. Ten (10) NomCom voting members
will be chosen from the pool of volunteers according to the
procedures described in RFC 2777 "Publicly Verifiable Nomcom
Random Selection". The source of randomness will be based on
the number of shares traded in the following 12 stocks.

The official shares traded numbers (denoted in 000s) will be
drawn from the October 13, 2004 Wall Street Journal which
reports the sales figures from the previous trading day - October
12, 2004. If trading in any of the shares is suspended, then
the shares traded will be assumed to be 0.

Please volunteer!

Thanks!

Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>

STOCKS USED IN THE NOMCOM SELECTION PROCESS

Cisco Systems (CSCO)
Google (GOOG)
Gymboree (GYMB)
Harley-Davidson (HDI)
Juniper Networks (JNPR)
Microsoft Corp (MSFT)
The New York Times (NYT)
Nokia (NOK)
Nortel Networks (NT)
Qwest Communications International (Q)
Symantec (SYMC)
Yahoo! (YHOO)

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 07:35:10 -0400

I'm writing to volunteer for the upcoming nomcom...

Ralph Droms
(o) 978-976-1674
(c) 978-376-3731
[email-masked]
Cisco Systems, Inc.