Subject: Protocol Action: 'T11 Network Address Authority (NAA) naming format for iSCSI Node Names' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:30:20 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'T11 Network Address Authority (NAA) naming format for iSCSI Node Names '
   <draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-name-ext-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Storage Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary
 
   The INCITS (International Committee of Information
   Technology Standards) T11 organization defines a format called the
   Network Address Authority (NAA) format for constructing worldwide
   unique identifiers using various identifier registration authorities.
   This identifier format is used by the Fibre Channel (FC) and Serial
   Attached SCSI (SAS) transport protocols.  Since most existing 
   networked SCSI ports are either FC or SAS, the NAA format is
   the most commonly used identifier format for SCSI transports.
       
   If iSCSI included a naming format that allowed direct 
   representation of a NAA-format name, it would facilitate 
   construction of a target device name that translated easily 
   across multiple namespaces for a SCSI storage device containing 
   ports served by different transports. 
    
   This document defines an NAA type iSCSI naming format so that
   one NAA identifier can be assigned as the basis for the SCSI  
   device name for a SCSI target with both SAS ports and iSCSI ports. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
 The working group was very deliberate about adding  this naming
  format for iSCSI.  It is a deliberate choice in the iSCSI specification
  that iSCSI naming formats are not extensible, but rather need to be
  deliberated on a case-by-case basis.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 This naming format is deployed.  Allison Mankin reviewed this specification
 for the IESG.  Elizabeth Rodriguez shepherded the Area Director comments,
 and David Black shepherded the IESG comments.

RFC Editor Note:

OLD:
  InterNational Committee of Information Technology Standards is
  the primary U.S. focus of standardization in the field of
  Information and Communications Technologies (ICT), encompassing
  storage, processing, transfer, display, management, organization,
  and retrieval of information. As such, INCITS also serves as
  ANSI's Technical Advisory Group for ISO/IEC Joint Technical
  Committee 1. JTC 1 is responsible for International
  standardization in the field of Information Technology.  See
  www.incits.org

NEW:
  InterNational Committee of Information Technology Standards
  (INCITS) has broad standardization scope within the field of
  Information and Communications Technologies (ICT) encompassing
  storage, processing, transfer, display, management, organization,
  and retrieval of information. INCITS serves as
  ANSI's Technical Advisory Group for ISO/IEC Joint Technical
  Committee 1 (JTC 1).  See www.incits.org.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce