Subject: RFC 3892 on The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Referred-By Mechanism

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:59:17 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3892

        Title:      The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
                    Referred-By Mechanism
        Author(s):  R. Sparks
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 52441
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sip-referredby-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3892.txt

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) REFER method provides a
mechanism where one party (the referrer) gives a second party (the
referee) an arbitrary URI to reference.  If that URI is a SIP URI, the
referee will send a SIP request, often an INVITE, to that URI (the
refer target).  This document extends the REFER method, allowing the
referrer to provide information about the REFER request to the refer
target using the referee as an intermediary.  This information
includes the identity of the referrer and the URI to which the
referrer referred.  The mechanism utilizes S/MIME to help protect this
information from a malicious intermediary.  This protection is
optional, but a recipient may refuse to accept a request unless it is
present.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce