Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Formats for European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) European Standard ES 202 050, ES 202 211, and ES 202 212 Distributed Speech Recognition Encoding' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:22:57 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RTP Payload Formats for European Telecommunications Standards Institute 
   (ETSI) European Standard ES 202 050, ES 202 211, and ES 202 212 Distributed 
   Speech Recognition Encoding '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-dsr-codecs-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary
 
    Distributed speech recognition (DSR) technology in this architecture
    uses remote device acting as a thin client, also known as the front-end,
    to communicate with a speech recognition server, also called a speech
    engine, over a network connection, to obtain speech recognition
    services.  More details on DSR over Internet can be found in RFC 3557

    To achieve interoperability with different client devices and speech
    engines, the first ETSI standard DSR front-end ES 201 108 was
    published in early 2000 and an RTP packetization for ES 201 108
    frames is defined in RFC 3557 by IETF.

    In ES 202 050, ETSI issues another standard for an Advanced DSR
    front-end that provides substantially improved recognition
    performance when background noise is present.  The codecs in ES 202
    050 use a slightly different frame format from those of ES 201 108
    and thus the two do not inter-operate with each other.

    The RTP packetization for ES 202 050 front-end defined in this
    document uses the same RTP packet format layout as that defined in
    RFC 3557.  The differences are in the DSR codec frame bit
    definition and the payload type MIME registration.

    The two further standards, ES 202 211 and ES 202 212, for which this
    document offers payloads, provide extensions to the each of the
    DSR front-end standards.  These respective extensions allow the
    speech waveform to be reconstructed for human audition and they
    can also be used to improve recognition performance for tonal
    languages.  This is done by sending additional pitch and voicing
    information for each frame along with the recognition features.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   The document was sent to the ietf-types list for MIME type review and did
   not surface any concerns.   The DSR issues were reviewed by the SPEECHSC
   WG at the time of RFC 3557, and the Area Director viewed this document as
   having no new issues.   The working group supported advancing this 
   document. 
 
Protocol Quality
 
  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Magnus Westerlund and 
  Allison Mankin.

RFC Editor Notes

Section 4
OLD:

Author/Change controller:

       *  [email-masked]

       *  IETF Audio/Video transport working group

NEW:

Author:

*  [email-masked]

Change controller:

*  IETF Audio/Video transport working group delegated by the IESG

Section 5

The following paragraph should be moved out of Section 5, and become
Section 4.3 Congestion Control: 

    Congestion control for RTP MUST be used in accordance with RFC 3550
    [9], and any applicable RTP profile, e.g.  RFC 3551 [10].

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce