Subject: Protocol Action: 'Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax' to Full Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:07:22 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax '
   <draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-07.txt> as a Full Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary
 
This document advances the URI specification to Full Standard.
It defines the generic syntax for URIs and describes a process for resolving 
URI references that are in relative form. It also contains guidelines for the 
use 
of URIs on the Internet and security considerations which are
common to the use of URIs.  The grammar it defines is a superset
of valid URIs, so that a common parser or similar component
can be built without scheme-specific data.
  
Working Group Summary
 
The URI working group is not active at this time, but the mailing list
([email-masked]) remains active.  Members of the mailing list reviewed
this document extensively, and a comprehensive issues list was
maintained, with recorded resolutions of each of the issues raised.
The document also received editorial comments during Last Call;
a new version of the document with additional explanatory text
was generated in response to the issues raised.  URIs are
widely in used many Internet context, and there has been no
dissent that a Full Standard updating RFC 2396 would be valuable.

Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.

RFC Editor Note: 

OLD: URI comparison is performed in respect to some particular purpose,
  and implementations with differing purposes will often be subject to
  differing design trade-offs in regards to how much effort should be
  spent in reducing aliased identifiers. 

NEW:   URI comparison is performed in respect to some particular purpose,
  and protocols or implementations comparing for purposes will often be 
  subject to differing design trade-offs in regards to how much effort 
  should be spent in reducing aliased identifiers.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce