Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Eifel Response Algorithm for TCP' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:21:18 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Eifel Response Algorithm for TCP '
   <draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-response-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group Working 
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Allison Mankin.

Technical Summary
 
This document recommends a way for a sender to respond to a spurious TCP 
timeout, provided that one has been detected (such detection mechanisms are ou
of scope of this document). Furthermore, it adapts the retransmission timer to 
avoid additional spurious timeouts, and restores congestion state in such a wa
that packet bursts are avoided.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The TSVWG working group supports the advancement of this document. It describe
a building block for a complete system that avoids spurious TCP 
retransmissions. Although there are a number of different philosophies for 
overall approaches to this problem, this document provides a modular component 
that could be integrated into several such approaches.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce