Subject: RFC 3883 on Detecting Inactive Neighbors over OSPF Demand Circuits (DC)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:19:49 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3883

        Title:      Detecting Inactive Neighbors over OSPF Demand
                    Circuits (DC)
        Author(s):  S. Rao, A. Zinin, A. Roy
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 13100
        Updates:    1793

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ospf-dc-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3883.txt

OSPF is a link-state intra-domain routing protocol used in IP
networks.  OSPF behavior over demand circuits (DC) is optimized in RFC
1793 to minimize the amount of overhead traffic.  A part of the OSPF
demand circuit extensions is the Hello suppression mechanism.  This
technique allows a demand circuit to go down when no interesting
traffic is going through the link.  However, it also introduces a
problem, where it becomes impossible to detect an OSPF-inactive
neighbor over such a link.  This memo introduces a new mechanism
called "neighbor probing" to address the above problem.

This document is a product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce