Subject: RFC 3930 on The Protocol versus Document Points of View in Computer Protocols

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:22:29 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3930

        Title:      The Protocol versus Document Points of View in
                    Computer Protocols
        Author(s):  D. Eastlake 3rd
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       October 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 36892
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-eastlake-proto-doc-pov-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3930.txt

This document contrasts two points of view: the "document" point of
view, where digital objects of interest are like pieces of paper
written and viewed by people, and the "protocol" point of view where
objects of interest are composite dynamic network messages.  Although
each point of view has a place, adherence to a document point of view
can be damaging to protocol design.  By understanding both points of
view, conflicts between them may be clarified and reduced.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce