Subject: WG Action: Operational Security Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure (opsec)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:47:02 -0400

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Operations and Management Area.  
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Operational Security Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure (opsec) 
=======================================================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
Pat Cain <[email-masked]>
Ross Callon <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>
David Kessens <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
David Kessens <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:
Steven Bellovin <[email-masked]>

Technical advisor:
George Jones <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://ops.ietf.org/lists/opsec/

Homepage:

http://www.port111.com/opsec/

Description of Working Group:

Goals

The goal of the Operational Security Working Group is to codify
knowledge gained through operational experience about feature sets
that are needed to securely deploy and operate managed network
elements providing transit services at the data link and IP
layers.

It is anticipated that the codification of this knowledge will be
an aid to vendors in producing more securable network elements,
and an aid to operators in increasing security by deploying and
configuring more secure network elements.

Scope

The working group will list capabilities appropriate for
devices use in:

* Internet Service Provider (ISP) Networks
* Enterprise Networks

The following areas are excluded from the charter at this time:

* Wireless devices
* Small-Office-Home-Office (SOHO) devices
* Security devices (firewalls, Intrusion Detection Systems,
Authentication Servers)
* Hosts

Methods

Framework Document

A framework document will be produced describing the scope,
format, intended use and documents to be produced.

Current Practices Document

A single document will be produced that attempts to capture
current practices related to secure operation. This will be
primarily based on operational experience. Each entry will
list:

* threats addressed,

* current practices for addressing the threat,

* protocols, tools and technologies extant at the time of writing
that are used to address the threat.

Individual Capability Documents

A series of documents will be produced covering various groupings
of security management capabilities needed to operate network elements
in a secure fashion. The capabilities will be described in terms that allow
implementations to change over time and will attempt to avoid requiring any particular
implementation.

The capabilities documents will cite
the Current Practices document where possible for justification.

Profile Documents

Profiles documents will be produced, which cite the capabilities
relevant to different operating environments.

Operator Outreach

Much of the operational security knowledge that needs to be
codified resides with operators. In order to access their
knowledge and reach the working group goal, informal BoFs will be
held at relevant operator fora.

RFC3871 will be used as a jumping off point.

Goals and Milestones:

Sep 04 Complete Charter
Sep 04 First draft of Framework Document as Internet Draft
Sep 04 First draft of Standards Survey Document as Internet Draft
Oct 04 First draft of Packet Filtering Capabilities
Oct 04 First draft of Event Logging Capabilities
Nov 04 First draft of Network Operator Current Security Practices
Jan 05 First draft of In-Band management capabilities
Jan 05 First draft of Out-of-Band management capabilities
Jan 05 First draft of Configuration and Management Interface
Capabilities
Feb 05 First draft of Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting
(AAA) Capabilities
Feb 05 First draft of Documentation and Assurance capabilities
Feb 05 First draft of Miscellaneous capabilities
Mar 05 First draft of Deliberations Summary document
Mar 05 Submit Framework to IESG
Mar 05 Submit Standards Survey to IESG
May 05 Submit Network Operator Current Security Practices to IESG
June 05 Submit Packet Filtering capabilities to IESG
June 05 Submit Event Logging Capabilities document to IESG
July 05 Submit In-Band management capabilities to IESG
July 05 Submit Out-of-Band management capabilities to IESG
Aug 05 Submit Configuration and Management Interface Capabilities
to IESG
Aug 05 Submit Authentication, Authorization and Accounting (AAA)
capabilities document to IESG
Sept 05 Submit Documentation and Assurance capabilities to IESG
Sept 05 Submit Miscellaneous capabilities document to IESG
May 05 First draft of ISP Operational Security Capabilities Profile
May 05 First draft of Enterprise Operational Security Capabilities
Profile
Dec 05 Submit ISP Operational Security Capabilities Profile to IESG
Dec 05 Submit Large Enterprise Operational Security Capabilities
Profile to IESG
Dec 05 Submit OPSEC Deliberation Summary document to IESG

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce