Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using IGMPv3 and MLDv2 For Source-Specific Multicast' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:37:30 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Using IGMPv3 and MLDv2 For Source-Specific Multicast '
   <draft-holbrook-idmr-igmpv3-ssm-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multicast & Anycast Group Membership 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
The Internet Group Management Protocol Version 3 (IGMPv3) and the
Multicast Listener Discovery Protocol Version 2 (MLDv2) are protocols
that allow a host to inform its neighboring routers of its desire to
receive IPv4 and IPv6 multicast transmissions, respectively.  Source-
Specific Multicast (SSM) is a form of multicast in which a receiver is
required to specify both the network-layer address of the source and the
multicast destination address in order to receive the multicast
transmission.  This document defines the notion of an "SSM-aware" router
and host, and clarifies and, in some cases, modifies the behavior of
IGMPv3 and MLDv2 on SSM-aware routers and hosts to accomodate source-
specific multicast.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This document was produced by the MAGMA WG and represents the
consensus of that group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce