Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Permanent Identifier' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:18:35 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Permanent Identifier '
   <draft-ietf-pkix-pi-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Steve Bellovin.

Technical Summary

  This document define a new form of name, called permanent identifier,
  that may be included in the subjectAltName extension of an X.509
  version 3 public key certificate.  The permanent identifier is an
  optional feature that may be used by a Certification Authority (CA) to
  indicate that the certificate relates to the same entity even if the
  name or the affiliation of that entity stored in the subject or
  another name form in the subjectAltName extension has changed.  The
  subject name, carried in the subject field, is only unique for each
  subject entity certified by the one CA as identified by the issuer
  name field.  Also, the new name form can carry a name that is unique
  for each subject entity certified by a CA.

Working Group Summary

  The Working Group came to consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Jeffrey I. Schiller and Russ Housley
  for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce