Subject: 61st IETF - Guided Tour of U.S. Capitol Building

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:14:39 -0400

The Washington DC chapter of ISOC has arranged for VIP
guided tours of the U.S. Capitol building during IETF61.

The tour is planned to pack as much as possible in three
hours away from the IETF meeting. In addition to a guided
tour of the Capitol, you will have the option of:

  (1) visiting a U.S. Congressman's office,
  (2) a brief tour of National Mall, for a look at the
      major national monuments and museums.

If you are interested in taking the tour, please REPLY
to this email (mailto:[email-masked]).  We will
email you a choice of tour dates.

We will schedule tours to conflict as little as possible
with IETF sessions, on several days between Monday, Nov. 8
and Saturday, Nov. 13.

The tour group will travel from the hotel to the Capitol
building by taxi, cost about $10 per person round trip, the
only cost involved. Family members welcome.

Capitol and National Mall links:

- U.S. Capitol building:
     http://www.aoc.gov/cc/capitol/capitol_overview.htm
- Overview of the U.S. Capitol area:
     http://www.aoc.gov/cc/cc_overview.htm
- Details of rooms in the Capitol the tour will visit:
     http://www.aoc.gov/cc/cc_features.htm
- Map of the National Mall, museuma:
     http://www.si.edu/visit/infocenter/mallmap.htm

The U.S. Capitol, the home of the legislative branch of the
United States of America, is located on the National Mall in the
District of Columbia, a federal area on the banks of the Potomac
River between the states of Maryland and Virginia.

The Capitol building serves as a remarkable living record of
the history of the United States of America, its growth and
evolution as a country from 1793, when George Washington rode
out into what then was farmland to select the location. He
visited the site often to watch the small first Capitol building
being constructed. Both houses of the U.S. Congress moved from
Philadelphia into the new building in November of 1800, with
essentially all branches of the federal government squeezed into
the little structure.

The U.S. Congress still meets in the much-expanded Capitol
today, and the building provides a wealth of paintings,
statuary, illuminated rooms and furnishings that are a visual
record of the history of the country.

Tour schedule:

 8:30 a.m. Assemble at IETF61 meeting hotel.
              (If you are staying at another hotel, we can
              provide written instructions to the Capitol.)
              
 8:45 a.m. Taxi to the Capitol Building (a short distance, be
              prepared to pay about $5 each way, assuming 3
              persons share a taxi.)

 9:15 a.m. VIP guided tour of the Capitol building.  You will
              visit the major Capitol spaces, and be able to
              walk through the original 1880 entrance to the
              Capitol building, a rare treat.

10:45 a.m. Depart Capitol to return to hotel.  You will have the
              option to take a short taxi tour going back to the
              hotel to view the National Mall, the major national
              museums, and the major monuments.
              
11:45 a.m. Back at IETF61 meeting hotel.

Note: Family members including children are welcome. Assistance
gladly provided to any infirm or handicapped persons, including
wheelchairs and other assistance. Please let us know in advance
to the tour date of any special services needed . You will be
able to take photographs in the Capitol building.

You will be asked to provide your name, identification and home
address. Be prepared to go through security similar to that at
an airport; no liquids may be brought into the building.

Gene Gaines
[email-masked]
Sterling, Virginia
+1 703-433-2081 

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:29:12 -0600

Please sign me up for the tour.

- James M Snell
  [email-masked]
  http://www.ibm.com
  (877) 511-5082 / Office
  930-1979 / Tie Line

[email-masked] 
Sent by: [email-masked]
10/26/2004 11:14 AM

To
[email-masked]
cc
[email-masked]
Subject
61st IETF - Guided Tour of U.S. Capitol Building

- U.S. Capitol building:

Tour schedule:

 

Gene Gaines