Subject: Document Action: 'MIME Sub-type Registrations for FITS' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:03:05 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'MIME Sub-type Registrations for FITS '
   <draft-allen-fitsmime-00.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Scott Hollenbeck.

Technical Summary
 
This document describes the registration of the Multipurpose Internet
Mail Extensions (MIME) sub-types to be used by the international
astronomical community for the interchange of FITS files.  The
encoding is defined by the published FITS standard documents.  The
FITS format has been in use since 1979, and almost all data from
astronomical observations are interchanged using FITS.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This document is an individual submission that has not been developed
by an IETF working group.  MIME types review was completed without
any issues being raised.
 
Protocol Quality
 
Scott Hollenbeck has reviewed the spec for the IESG.  Multiple
implementations have been under development for several years.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce