Subject: Document Action: 'BinaryTime: An alternate format for representing date and time in ASN.1' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:13:07 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'BinaryTime: An alternate format for representing date and time in ASN.1 '
   <draft-housley-binarytime-02.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Steve Bellovin.

Technical Summary
  This protocol provides a means to represent time in ASN.1 as an integral
number of seconds since the epoch (00:00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970).  This avoids
the well-known problems with comparison of timestamps that are given with
respect to some particular timezone. 

Protocol Quality
 
 Steve Bellovin has reviewed this document for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note:

Section 2, old text:
      BinaryTime ::= INTEGER

New text:
       BinaryTime ::= INTEGER (0..MAX)
OLD:

    The integer value is the number of seconds after midnight UTC,
    January 1, 1970.

NEW:

    The integer value is the number of seconds, ignoring leap seconds,
    after midnight UTC, January 1, 1970.

Appendix A, old text:
      BinaryTime ::= INTEGER

New text:
       BinaryTime ::= INTEGER (0..MAX)

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce