Subject: Document Action: 'Renumbering Requirements for Stateless DHCPv6' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:01:13 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Renumbering Requirements for Stateless DHCPv6 '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-stateless-dhcpv6-renumbering-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

   IPv6 hosts using Stateless Address Autoconfiguration are able to
   automatically configure their IPv6 address and default router
   settings.  However, further settings are not available.  If such
   hosts wish to automatically configure their DNS, NTP or other
   specific settings the stateless variant of the Dynamic Host
   Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) could be used.  This
   combination of Stateless Address Autoconfiguration and stateless
   DHCPv6 could be used quite commonly in IPv6 networks.  However, hosts
   using such a combination currently have no means by which to be
   informed of changes in stateless DHCPv6 option settings, e.g.  the
   addition of a new NTP server address, changes in DNS search paths, or
   full site renumbering.  This document is presented as a problem
   statement from which a solution should be proposed in a subsequent
   document.
Working Group Summary

   This document is a work item of the DHC WG.

Protocol Quality

   This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce