Subject: Protocol Action: 'Rapid Commit Option for DHCPv4' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 14:58:04 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Rapid Commit Option for DHCPv4 '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-rapid-commit-opt-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
This specification defines a new mechanism for DHCPv4, modeled on the
DHCPv6 Rapid Commit option and mechanism, for obtaining IP address and
configuration information using a 2 message exchange instead of the
usual 4 message exchange.

Working Group Summary
There was consensus in the WG for approval of the DHCPv4 rapid commit
option and associated mechanism.  It has been thoroughly reviewed by
the dhc WG and discussed in WG meetings and on the dhcwg mailing
list.  Samsung has published an IPR claim, in which it promises to
provide zero-cost licensing, related to this specification.

Protocol Quality
This extension to the DHCPv4 protocol and its specification is of high
quality and had been thoroughly reviewed by the dhc WG.  Several
vendors have expressed interest in implementing this extension to
DHCPv4.

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce