Subject: Announcement: IETF-TV BOF

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 08:47:00 -0800 (PST)

Date and Time: Monday, November 8, 1300-1500
Location: TBA --- see final agenda on-site.

*** This BOF will be Multicast ***

The Future of IETF Multicast/Unicast Services
---------------------------------------------

With recent changes in the IETF and ways in which interested parties
participate, there is a new push to re-evaluate the mechanisms that are
provided for remote participation and working group meeeting archiving.

For the past several years, two sessions have been multicast at two bit
rates (low and high). These sessions have also been recorded and made
available relatively soon after the meeting. More recently, experiments
have been conducted in an attempt to add additional rooms with unicast
support but only audio.

At this point, we are at a cross-roads. Because of perceived changes in
remote participant needs and funding availability, the IETF needs to
decide what is required in terms of service to users. Furthermore, an
analysis needs to be done on what this service will cost and whether
there is budget to support it.

This BOF is a chance for the IETF community to discuss these issues in
an open forum and help decide what our next steps should be in providing
these services for future IETF meetings.

To kick off the discussion, we will present a summary of the effort and
resources involved in prior audio and video support and describe a few
service options which might be provided in the future.

We particularly would like to hear from past and current users of the
IETF multicast/unicast services.

Note that while Jabber use has become much more prevalent recently and its
use affects how distance participation works, using instant messaging in
IETF meetings is NOT the focus of this BOF.

Some further background:
------------------------

 "The March [1992] IETF meeting in San Diego was an exciting one for those
 interested in teleconferencing. In addition to several sessions on
 teleconferencing topics, we managed to pull off a "wild idea" suggested
 by Allison Mankin from MITRE: live audio from the IETF site was "audiocast"
 using IP multicast packet audio over the Internet to participants at 20
 sites on three continents spanning 16 timezones.

...

 "We hope [this] will be expanded at future IETF meetings to reach more
 destinations and to include video, images and "shared whiteboards" along
 with audio. This is a step toward a more distributed IETF, a goal Dave
 Farber and Jack Haverty challenged the IET community to pursue during a
 discussion on the IETF mailing list last fall."

--- Steve Casner and Steve Deering, "First IETF Internet Audiocast,"
    ConneXions--The Interoperability Report, Volume 6, No. 6, June, 1992.

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Academic Research and Technology Initiatives, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce