Subject: Document Action: 'Extensions to support efficient carrying of multicast traffic in Layer-2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:00:35 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Extensions to support efficient carrying of multicast traffic in Layer-2 
   Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) '
   <draft-ietf-l2tpext-mcast-05.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Extensions 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Margaret Wasserman.

Technical Summary
 
  The Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) provides a standard method
  for tunneling PPP packets.  When IP multicast is used, the
  forwarding of multicast data within L2TP sessions may impact the
  throughput of L2TP tunnels because the same traffic may be sent
  multiple times within the same L2TP tunnel, but in different
  sessions. This document describes an extension to L2TP, in order to
  have an efficient use of L2TP tunnels within the context of
  deploying multicast services whose data will have to be conveyed by
  such tunnels.

Working Group Summary
 
 There was support for this in the WG.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce