Subject: WG Action: Kitten (GSS-API Next Generation) (kitten)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 16:24:22 -0500

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Security Area.  
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Kitten (GSS-API Next Generation) (kitten)
=========================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>

Security Area Director(s):
Russell Housley <[email-masked]>
Steven Bellovin <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:
Russell Housley <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten
Archive: http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/kitten/current/index.html

Description of Working Group:
The Generic Security Services API [RFC 2743, RFC 2744] provides an API
for applications to set up security contexts and to use these contexts
for per-message protection services. The Common Authentication
Technology Next Generation Working Group (Kitten) will work on
standardizing extensions and improvements to the core GSSAPI
specification and language bindings that the IETF believes are necessary
based on experience using GSSAPI over the last 10 years. Extensions may
be published as separate drafts or included in a GSSAPI version 3. While
version 2 of the GSSAPI may be clarified, no backward incompatible
changes will be made to this version of the API.

This working group is chartered to revise the GSSAPI v2 RFCs for the
purpose of clarifying areas of ambiguity:
o Use of channel bindings
o Thread safety restrictions
o C language utilization clarifications and recommendations
(e.g., type utilization, name spaces)
o Guidelines for GSS-API mechanism designers
o Guidelines for GSS-API application protocol designers

This working group is chartered to specify a non-backward compatible
GSSAPI v3 including support for the following extensions:
o Clarify the portable use of channel bindings and better specify
channel bindings in a language-independent manner.
o Specify thread safety extensions to allow multi-threaded applications
to use GSSAPI
o Definitions of channel bindings for TLS, IPSec, SSH and other
cryptographic channels based on work started in the NFSV4 working
group.
o Define a GSSAPI extension to allow applications to store credentials.
Discussions to be started based upon:
o draft-williams-gss-store-deleg-creds-xx.txt
o Extensions to solve problems posed by the Global Grid Forum's GSSAPI
extensions document.
o Extensions to deal with mechanism-specific extensibility in a
multi-mechanism environment.
o Extend the GSS-API to support authorization by portable GSS
applications while also supporting mechanisms that do not have a
single canonical name for each authentication identity.
o Specify a Domain-based GSS service principal name consisting of:
service name, host name, and domain name for use by application
services hosted across multiple servers.
o Extensions to support stackable GSSAPI mechanisms.
o Define a Psuedo-Random Function for GSSAPI

This working group is chartered to perform the following GSSAPI
mechanism specification work:

o Specify a GSSAPI v2/v3 Channel Conjunction Mechanism
o Revise RFC 2748 (SPNEGO) to correct problems that make the
specification unimplementable and to document the problems
found in widely-deployed attempts to implement this spec.
o Update the GSSAPI Java Language Bindings to match actual implementation

This working group is chartered to perform the following new GSSAPI
Language Binding specification work:

o Specify a language binding for C#

DELIVERABLES

Either: 
o Clarifications to GSSAPIv2 (May 2005 to IESG)Informational
[editor: TBD]
Or:
o Generic Security Service Application Program Interface Version 2, Update 2
[editor: TBD]
o Generic Security Service API Version 2, Update 1 : C-bindings
[editor: TBD]
End:

o The Channel Conjunction Mechanism (CCM) for the GSSAPI
[editors: Mike Eisler/Nicolas Williams]
(based on draft-ietf-nfsv4-ccm, which has been discussed previously in
the NFSv4 WG)

o On the Use of Channel Bindings to Secure Channels
[editor: Nicolas Williams]
(based on draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings, which has been discussed
previously in the NFSv4 WG)

o GSSAPIv3
[editor: to be determined]

o Stackable Generic Security Service Pseudo-mechanisms
[editor: Nicolas Williams]
draft-williams-gssapi-stackable-pseudo-mechs

o GSS-APIv2 Extension for Storing Delegated Credentials
[editor: Nicolas Williams]
draft-williams-gssapi-store-deleg-creds

o GSSAPI Mechanisms without a Unique Canonical Name
[editor: Sam Hartman]
draft-hartman-gss-naming

o SPNEGO (RFC 2478) Revisions
[editor: Wyllys Ingersoll / Larry Zhu]
draft-zhu-spnego-2478bis

o Guide to the GSS-APIv3
[editor: Nicolas Williams]
draft-williams-gssapi-v3-guide-to

o Namespace Considerations and Registries for GSS-API Extensions
[editor: Nicolas Williams]
draft-williams-gssapi-extensions-iana

o GSS-API Domain-Based Service Names and Name Type
[editor: Nicolas Williams]
draft-williams-gssapi-domain-based-names

o GSS-API Domain-Based Service Names Mapping for the Kerberos V GSS
Mechanism
[editor: Nicolas Williams]
draft-williams-krb5-gssapi-domain-based-names

o A PRF API extension for the GSS-API
[editor: Nicolas Williams]
draft-williams-gssapi-prf

o A PRF for the Kerberos V GSS-API Mechanism
[editor: Nicolas Williams]
draft-williams-krb5-gssapi-prf

o Generic Security Service API Version 2 : Java & C# Bindings
[editors: Larry Zhu / Corby Morris]
draft-morris-java-gssapi-update-for-csharp

Goals and Milestones:
Nov 04    First Meeting  
Mar 05    First drafts of either 'Clarifications to GSSAPIv2' as Informational 
	ORsubmit 'Generic Security Service Application Program Interface 
	Version 2, Update 2' and 'Generic Security Service API Version 2, 
	Update 2 : C-bindings' to the IESG as Proposed Standard  
Jul 05    Submit either 'Clarifications to GSSAPIv2' as Informational OR submit
	'Generic Security Service Application Program Interface Version 2, 
	Update 2' and 'Generic Security Service API Version 2, Update 2 : 
	C-bindings' to the IESG as Proposed Standard  
Jul 05    Submit 'The Channel Conjunction Mechanism (CCM) for the GSSAPI' to 
	the IESG as Proposed Standard  
Jul 05    Submit 'On the Use of Channel Bindings to Secure Channels' to the 
	IESG as Proposed Standard  
Jul 05    Submit 'The Simple and Protected GSS-API Negotiation Mechanism 
	(Revised)' to the IESG as Proposed Standard  
Nov 05    Submit 'GSSAPI Mechanisms without a Unique Canonical Name' to the 
	IESG as Proposed Standard  
Jul 06    Submit 'Generic Security Service Application Program Interface 
	Version 3' to the IESG as Proposed Standard  
Jul 06    Submit 'Generic Security Service API Version 3 : C-bindings' to the 
	IESG as Proposed Standard  
Jul 06    Submit 'Generic Security Service API Version 3 : Java and C# 
	bindings' to the IESG as Proposed Standard  
Nov 06    Charter Review  

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce