Subject: BCP 93, RFC 3933 on A Model for IETF Process Experiments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:28:38 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 93
        RFC 3933

        Title:      A Model for IETF Process Experiments
        Author(s):  J. Klensin, S. Dawkins
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       November 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 14409
        SeeAlso:    BCP 93

        I-D Tag:    draft-klensin-process-july14-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3933.txt

The IETF has designed process changes over the last ten years in one
of two ways: announcement by the IESG, sometimes based on informal
agreements with limited community involvement and awareness, and
formal use of the same mechanism used for protocol specification.  The
first mechanism has often proven to be too lightweight, the second too
heavyweight.

This document specifies a middle-ground approach to the system of
making changes to IETF process, one that relies heavily on a "propose
and carry out an experiment, evaluate the experiment, and then
establish permanent procedures based on operational experience" model
rather than those previously attempted.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce