Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:47:45 -0500

A modified charter has been submitted for the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet) 
working group in the Routing Area of the IETF. The IESG has not made any 
determination as yet. The following description was submitted, and is 
provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to 
the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by December 30th.

+++

Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)
===================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Description of Working Group:

The purpose of the MANET working group is to standardize IP routing protocol
functionality suitable for wireless routing application within both static
and dynamic topologies with increased dynamics due to node motion or other
factors.

Approaches are intended to be relatively lightweight in nature, suitable for
multiple hardware and wireless environments, and address scenarios where
MANETs are deployed at the edges of an IP infrastructure. Hybrid mesh
infrastructures (e.g., a mixture of fixed and mobile routers) should also be
supported by MANET specifications and management features.

Using mature components from previous work on experimental reactive and
proactive protocols, the WG will develop two Standards track routing
protocol
specifications:

- Reactive MANET Protocol (RMP)
- Proactive MANET Protocol (PMP)

If significant commonality between RMRP and PMRP protocol modules is
observed, the WG may decide to go with a converged approach. Both IPv4 and
IPv6 will be supported. Routing security requirements and issues will also
be addressed.

The MANET WG will also develop a scoped forwarding protocol that can
efficiently flood data packets to all participating MANET nodes. The primary
purpose of this mechanism is a simplified best effort multicast forwarding
function. The use of this protocol is intended to be applied ONLY within
MANET routing areas and the WG effort will be limited to routing layer
design issues.

The MANET WG will pay attention to the OSPF-MANET protocol work within the
OSPF WG and IRTF work that is addressing research topics related to MANET
environments.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce