Subject: Protocol Action: 'Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) Scheme for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:33:25 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) Scheme for the Simple Network Management 
   Protocol (SNMP) '
   <draft-black-snmp-uri-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Bert Wijnen.

Technical Summary

   SNMP and the Internet Standard Management Framework are widely
   used for management of communication devices, creating needs to
   specify SNMP access (including access to SNMP MIB object
   instances) from non-SNMP management environments.  For example,
   when out-of-band IP management is used via a separate management
   interface (e.g., for a device that does not support in-band IP
   access) there is a need for a uniform way to indicate how to
   contact the device for management.  URIs fit this need well, as
   they allow a single text string to indicate a management access
   communication endpoint for a wide variety of IP-based protocols. 

   This document defines a URI scheme so that SNMP can be designated
   as the protocol used for management.  The scheme also allows a URI
   to designate one or more MIB object instances.

Working Group Summary
 
  This document is not the productof any IETF Working Group. 
  Yet it has had review on the MIB Doctors list, on the SNMPv3 
  mailing list and on the [email-masked] mailing list.

Protocol Quality
 
  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.

RFC-Editor note:

- In Section 6. Security Considerations, make the following change.

  OLD:
      By itself, the presence of a securityName in an SNMP URI MUST NOT
      authorize use of that securityName to access management
      information.  Instead the SNMP manager SHOULD match the
      securityName in the URI to an SNMP securityName and associated
      security information that have been pre-authorized for use by the
      manager.  If an SNMP URI contains a securityName that the SNMP
      manager is not authorized to use, SNMP operations for that URI
      SHOULD NOT be generated.

   NEW:
      By itself, the presence of a securityName in an SNMP URI does
      not authorize use of that securityName to access management
      information.  Instead the SNMP manager SHOULD match the
      securityName in the URI to an SNMP securityName and associated
      security information that have been pre-configured for use by the
      manager.  If an SNMP URI contains a securityName that the SNMP
      manager is not provisioned to use, SNMP operations for that URI
      SHOULD NOT be generated.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce