Subject: Document Action: 'F-RTO: An Algorithm for Detecting Spurious Retransmission Timeouts with TCP and SCTP' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:47:52 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'F-RTO: An Algorithm for Detecting Spurious Retransmission Timeouts with TCP 
   and SCTP '
   <draft-ietf-tcpm-frto-02.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Allison Mankin.

Technical Summary
 
This document describes an algorithm for detecting spurious TCP retransmission
timeouts called F-RTO. In contrast to alternative algorithms proposed for
detecting unnecessary retransmissions, F-RTO does not require any TCP options
for its operation, and it can be implemented by modifying only the TCP sender;
however, F-RTO detects only unnecessary retransmissions after an RTO, not
retransmissions caused by events such as packet reordering.  This document does
not describe the response to spurious timeout, merely the detection algorithm.
The mechanisms described in this document are also applicable to SCTP.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This document is one of several approaches to the detection of spurious
retransmissions that have been considered in the TSVWG and TCPM working groups.
The community believes that the publication of more than one experimental
approach to this problem will help to expose the pros and cons of the respective
methods.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce