Subject: Protocol Action: 'A UUID URN Namespace' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:22:48 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A UUID URN Namespace '
   <draft-mealling-uuid-urn-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary
 
   This specification defines a Uniform Resource Name namespace for
   UUIDs (Universally Unique IDentifier), also known as GUIDs (Globally
   Unique IDentifier). A UUID is 128 bits long, and requires no central
   registration process.   One of the main reasons for using UUIDs is that 
   no centralized authority is required to administer them.  As a result, 
   generation on demand can be automated, and they can be used for a
   wide variety of purposes. The UUID generation algorithm described
   here supports very high allocation rates: 10 million per second per
   machine if necessary, so that they could even be used as transaction
   IDs.

Working Group Summary
 
This document was not the product of an IETF working group.
UUIDs were originally used in the Network Computing System (NCS) 
and later in the Open Software Foundation's (OSF) Distributed Computing 
Environment. This specification is derived from the latter specification.
There were comments during the IETF Last Call, and the Authors have
addressed those comments.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce