Subject: STD 66, RFC 3986 on Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:32:09 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        STD 66
        RFC 3986

        Title:      Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax
        Author(s):  T. Berners-Lee, R. Fielding, L. Masinter
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      61
        Characters: 141811
        Updates:    1738
        Obsoletes:  2732, 2396, 1808

        I-D Tag:    draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3986.txt

A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact sequence of
characters that identifies an abstract or physical resource.  This
specification defines the generic URI syntax and a process for
resolving URI references that might be in relative form, along with
guidelines and security considerations for the use of URIs on the
Internet.  The URI syntax defines a grammar that is a superset of all
valid URIs, allowing an implementation to parse the common
components of a URI reference without knowing the scheme-specific
requirements of every possible identifier.  This specification does
not define a generative grammar for URIs; that task is performed by
the individual specifications of each URI scheme.

This is now a Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the
Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the "Internet
Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the standardization state
and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce