Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:44:01 -0500

The Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet) working group in the Routing Area of the IETF 
has been rechartered. For additional information, please contact the Area 
Directors or the working group Chairs.

Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)
================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Joseph Macker <[email-masked]>
Ian Chakeres <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):
Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe manet
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The purpose of the MANET working group is to standardize IP routing protocol
functionality suitable for wireless routing application within both static
and dynamic topologies with increased dynamics due to node motion or other
factors.

Approaches are intended to be relatively lightweight in nature, suitable for
multiple hardware and wireless environments, and address scenarios where
MANETs are deployed at the edges of an IP infrastructure. Hybrid mesh
infrastructures (e.g., a mixture of fixed and mobile routers) should also be
supported by MANET specifications and management features.

Using mature components from previous work on experimental reactive and
proactive protocols, the WG will develop two Standards track routing
protocol
specifications:

- Reactive MANET Protocol (RMP)
- Proactive MANET Protocol (PMP)

If significant commonality between RMRP and PMRP protocol modules is
observed, the WG may decide to go with a converged approach. Both IPv4 and
IPv6 will be supported. Routing security requirements and issues will also
be addressed.

The MANET WG will also develop a scoped forwarding protocol that can
efficiently flood data packets to all participating MANET nodes. The primary
purpose of this mechanism is a simplified best effort multicast forwarding
function. The use of this protocol is intended to be applied ONLY within
MANET routing areas and the WG effort will be limited to routing layer
design issues.

The MANET WG will pay attention to the OSPF-MANET protocol work within the
OSPF WG and IRTF work that is addressing research topics related to MANET
environments.

Goals and Milestones:

[all current milestones are DONE]

Mar 05 Submit initial ID of RMP for WG review

Mar 05 Submit initial ID of PMP for WG review

Mar 05 Submit inital ID of generalized MANET flooding approach

Jun 05 Revise WG documents and review

Nov 05 Document initial implementation progress and experience
Revise documents based upon implementation experience

Feb 06 Submit RMP specification and supporting documentation to IESG for
publications as Proposed Standard

Feb 06 Submit PMP specification and supporting documentation to IESG for
publications as Proposed Standard

Feb 06 Submit MANET flooding specification to IESG for publication as
Experimental Standard

Mar 06 Review and update milestones

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce