Subject: RFC 3987 on Internationalized Resource Identifiers (IRIs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:33:19 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3987

        Title:      Internationalized Resource Identifiers (IRIs)
        Author(s):  M. Duerst, M. Suignard
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      46
        Characters: 111190
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-duerst-iri-11.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3987.txt

This document defines a new protocol element, the Internationalized
Resource Identifier (IRI), as a complement to the Uniform Resource
Identifier (URI).  An IRI is a sequence of characters from the
Universal Character Set (Unicode/ISO 10646).  A mapping from IRIs to
URIs is defined, which means that IRIs can be used instead of URIs,
where appropriate, to identify resources.

The approach of defining a new protocol element was chosen instead
of extending or changing the definition of URIs.  This was done in
order to allow a clear distinction and to avoid incompatibilities with
existing software.  Guidelines are provided for the use and deployment
of IRIs in various protocols, formats, and software components that
currently deal with URIs.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce