Subject: BCP 97, RFC 3967 on Clarifying when Standards Track Documents may Refer Normatively to Documents at a Lower Level

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:19:58 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3967

        Title:      Clarifying when Standards Track Documents may
                    Refer Normatively to Documents at a Lower Level
        Author(s):  R. Bush, T. Narten
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       December 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 12251
        SeeAlso:    BCP 97

        I-D Tag:    draft-ymbk-downref-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3967.txt

IETF procedures generally require that a standards track RFC may not
have a normative reference to another standards track document at a
lower maturity level or to a non standards track specification (other
than specifications from other standards bodies).  For example, a
standards track document may not have a normative reference to an
informational RFC.  Exceptions to this rule are sometimes needed as
the IETF uses informational RFCs to describe non-IETF standards or
IETF-specific modes of use of such standards.  This
document clarifies and updates the procedure used in these
circumstances.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce