Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4)' to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:55:08 -0500

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'Definitions of Managed Objects for the Fourth Version of Border Gateway 
   Protocol (BGP-4) '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'BGP Security Vulnerabilities Analysis '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-vuln-01.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'BGP-4 Protocol Analysis '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-analysis-07.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'Experience with the BGP-4 Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-experience-protocol-05.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'BGP MIB V1 implementation survey '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-mibagent-survey-02.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'Standards Maturity Variance Regarding the TCP MD5 Signature Option (RFC 
   2385) and the BGP-4 Specification '
   <draft-iesg-tcpmd5app-01.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'BGP 4 Implementation Report '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-implementation-02.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4) '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-26.txt> as a Draft Standard

These documents are products of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alex Zinin and Bill Fenner.

Technical Summary
 
 The documents included in this package provide the technical specification,
 the MIB module description and the supporting documentation for the revision
 of the BGPv4 protocol. BGPv4 is a path-vector routing protocol currently used
 in the Internet for classless IPv4 inter-domain routing. The protocol allows 
 a certain degree of policy routing among the domains.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 The WG has been working on the revised version of the protocol specification
 for the last few years. Discussions on specific issues and related consensus
 assessment have been documented. Documents in the package have passed the WG
 LC, and are now ready for the IESG review.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 BGPv4 is widely implemented and deployed. The implementations are tested for
 interoperability between different vendors on a regular basis. The
 specification has been reviewed thoroughly my numerous WG participants,
 members of the Routing Area directorate, and Area Directors.

RFC Editor Note

draft-ietf-idr-bgp-analysis-06.txt:

Abstract:

OLD:
   The purpose of this report is to document how the requirements for
   advancing a routing protocol from Draft Standard to full Standard
   have been satisfied by Border Gateway Protocol version 4 (BGP-4).

NEW:
   The purpose of this report is to document how the requirements for
   publication of a routing protocol as an Internet Draft Standard
   have been satisfied by Border Gateway Protocol version 4 (BGP-4).

Section 1 "Introduction"

OLD:
    BGP-4 is an inter-autonomous system routing protocol designed for
    TCP/IP internets. Version 1 of the BGP-4 protocol was published in
    [RFC1105]. Since then BGP versions 2, 3, and 4 have been developed.
    Version 2 was documented in [RFC1163]. Version 3 is documented in

NEW:
    BGP-4 is an inter-autonomous system routing protocol designed for
    TCP/IP internets. Version 1 of the BGP protocol was published in
    [RFC1105]. Since then BGP versions 2, 3, and 4 have been developed.
    Version 2 was documented in [RFC1163]. Version 3 is documented in

draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-experience-protocol:

Abstract:

OLD:
   The purpose of this memo is to document how the requirements for
   advancing a routing protocol from Draft Standard to full Standard
   have been satisfied by Border Gateway Protocol version 4 (BGP-4).

NEW:
   The purpose of this memo is to document how the requirements for
   publication of a routing protocol as an Internet Draft Standard
   have been satisfied by Border Gateway Protocol version 4 (BGP-4).

Change all instances of "Potatoe" to "potato"

draft-iesg-tcpmd5app-01.txt:

Section 6 "Security Considerations"

OLD:
    The IESG believes that the variance described here will not affect
    the security of the Internet.

NEW:
    The IESG believes that the variance described here will not adversely
    affect the security of the Internet.

draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-26.txt:

Move the following reference--

   [RFC2474] Nichols, K., et al.,"Definition of the Differentiated
   Services Field (DS Field) in the IPv4 and IPv6 Headers", RFC2474,
   December 1998

--to the non-normative part.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce