Subject: Protocol Action: 'Securing FTP with TLS' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:21:49 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Securing FTP with TLS '
   <draft-murray-auth-ftp-ssl-16.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary
 
This document describes a mechanism that can be used by FTP clients
and servers to implement security and authentication using the TLS
protocol defined by RFC 2246 and the extensions to the FTP protocol
defined by RFC-2228.  It describes the subset of the extensions
which are required and the parameters to be used.  It discusses some of
the policy issues that clients and servers will need to take.  It also 
considers some of the implications of those policies and discusses
some expected implementation behavior. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
This document is an individual submission. Its authors argue that, though TLS 
is not the only mechanism for securing file transfer, it provides good 
flexibility,
is associated with known key management tools, and will be familiar to
implementors because of its use in HTTPS and SMTP.  A concern raised during
community review was the appropriateness of using TLS in a two channel
protocol like FTP; the authors believe that the document adequately describes
how to tie the two channels together and why this is required.

Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.  An earlier version
was reviewed by Eric Rescorla.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce