Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:33:55 -0500

The charter of the Mobility for IPv4 (mip4) working group in the Internet Area 
of the IETF has been updated. For additional information, please contact 
the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)
------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Pete McCann <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):
Thomas Narten <[email-masked]> ,
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

Mailing list: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked] ;
In Body or Subject: subscribe
Archive: https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/mip4/current/

DESCRIPTION:

IP mobility support for IPv4 nodes (hosts and routers) is specified in
RFC3344. RFC 3344 mobility allows a node to continue using its
"permanent" home address as it moves around the internet. The Mobile IP
protocols support transparency above the IP layer, including maintenance
of active TCP connections and UDP port bindings. Besides the basic
Mobile IPv4 (MIPv4) protocols, several other drafts deal with concerns
such as optimization, security, extensions, AAA support, and deployment
issues.

Mobile IPv4 is currently being deployed on a wide basis (e.g., in
cdma2000 networks). The scope of the deployment is on a fairly large
scale and accordingly, the MIP4 WG will focus on deployment issues and
on addressing known deficiencies and shortcomings in the protocol that
have come up as a result of deployment experience. Specifically, the
working group will complete the work items to facilitate interactions
with AAA environments, interactions with enterprise environments when
Mobile IPv4 is used therein, and updating existing protocol
specifications in accordance with deployment needs and advancing those
protocols that are on the standards track.

Work expected to be done by the MIP4 WG as proposed by this charter is
as follows:

1. MIPv4 has been a proposed standard for several years. It has been
adopted by other standard development organizations and has been
deployed commercially. One of the next steps for the WG is to advance
the protocol to draft standard status. As part of advancing base
Mobile IP specs to DS, the Mobile IPv4 NAI RFC (2794) will be revised
to reflect implementation experience.

2. A mechanism for home agent assignment at the time of mobile-ip registration,
rather than preconfigured for the mobile node, has been proposed.
The WG will take on the task of completing this. The ability to switch
the home agent assigned to a mobile node while registered will also be
considered as part of this task.

3. Work items that are pending from the previous Mobile IP WG, which
will be completed by the MIP4 WG, are:

- RFC3012bis (Challenge-response mechanism)
- low-latency handover draft to experimental status
- completion of the MIB for the revised base Mobile IP
specification (2006bis)
- regional registration draft.

4. The MIP4 WG will also complete the work on Mobile IPv4 interactions
in VPN scenarios. This work will involve identifying the requirements
and a solution development for Mobile IPv4 operation in the presence
of IPsec VPNs.

5. Some issues have been raised with respect to RFC3519. These will be
identified and addressed as appropriate, through errata, revision
of RFC 3519, and/or supplemental documents as needed.

Other potential work items may be identified in the future but will
require an appropriate re-charter.

Goals and Milestones:

Done AAA Keys for MIPv4 to IESG
Done MIPv4 VPN interaction problem statement to IESG
Done Low latency handover to experimental
Done Experimental MIPv4 message and extensions draft to IESG
Done Dynamic Home Agent assignment protocol solution to IESG
Jan 05 Revised MIPv4 Challenge/Response (3012bis) to IESG
Jan 05 Regional registration document to IESG
Feb 05 Revised rfc2794bis (NAI extension specification) to the IESG
Jun 05 Revised MIB for MIPv4 to IESG
Apr 05 Revised MIPv4 specification to IESG for Draft Standard
Sep 05 MIPv4 VPN Solution to IESG

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce