Subject: Re: New tool prototypes

From: Ólafur Guðmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:52:32 -0500

At 07:08 04/03/2005, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

>    2. Workgroup status pages showing the current status of the drafts
>    belonging to a workgroup: http://tools.ietf.org/wg/

<snip>

>As these are prototypes, they are not expected to be perfect or complete,
>but they are expected to be useful to the community as-is, and comments
>on functionality, missing features and bugs are welcome!
>
>Comments will be taken as input to specification of full-fledged versions
>of similar tools, and may also be fed back into the prototypes.

I think we need at least one more status state.
In my working group we encourage people to write up their ideas as
discussion platform. After 2-5 ideas are presented and discussed they
morph into one final product.
Frequently the first and second versions of these drafts
are draft-<editor>-<wg> (our suggested notation) before making it
to draft-ietf-<wg>.

The status: "Expired" to me means the draft has been dropped
but that is frequently not accurate.
I would like to be able to indicate that a draft has
been "Replaced by" another draft.

Example: on DNSEXT page in the Expired category are drafts:
         draft-ietf-dnsext-parent-stores-zone-keys
         draft-ietf-dnsext-parent-sig
These two[1] drafts motivated and gave way to
         draft-ietf-dnsext-delegation-signer  RFC 3658

 From historical perspective I would like to somehow acknowledge
the people that contributed to the process and how they did that.

I realize this is a larger issue than just the tool, as the
back end database does not have this information.

         Olafur

[1] At least one of these draft was had a draft-<editor> draft
before it became a WG draft.  

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:08:31 +0100

Two prototypes of new tools for the IETF community are now available from
the Tools-team website, http://tools.ietf.org/ : 

    1. Workgroup agenda pages with embedded html links to all drafts and URLs
    referred to in the agendas: http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/62/

There are links from the html-ized agenda page to both the html-ized WG
agendas and to the WG status pages, and links from the WG status pages to the
WG agendas.

	Henrik