Subject: New BOF in Internet Area - AUTOCONF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 02:28:54 -0500

Ad hoc Network Autoconfiguration BOF (autoconf)

Monday, March 7 at 0900-1130
============================

CHAIRS: Shubhranshu Singh <[email-masked]>
        Thomas Clausen  <[email-masked]>  

AGENDA:

- Agenda bashing
  (Shubhranshu/Thomas Clausen, The BOF chairpersons) - 5 minutes    

- Background & Status (bar-bof meetings in DC, mailinglist discussion, etc) 
  (Shubhranshu/Thomas Clausen) - 15 minutes    

- Connectivity scenarios for MANET
  (Simone Ruffino, Telecom Italia Lab) - 15 minutes    

- Summary of existing proposals followed by individual solution presentations: 
       
  + Summary of Existing proposals
    (Shubhranshu / Thomas Clausen) - 10 minutes

  + Individual solution
    (Ryuji Wakikawa, Keio University, Japan) - 15 minutes 
   
  + Individual solution
    (Mase/Jaehoon Jeong, University of Minnesota) - 15 minutes 
   
  + Individual solution
    (Christophe Jelger, Universit? Louis Pasteure) - 15 minutes    
    
- Draft of the charter
  (Shubhranshu/Thomas Clausen) - 10 minutes
         
- Open Discussion - 20 mints 
  + evaluation metric
  +"Should a WG exist"-concensus-question.

DESCRIPTION:

A group of mobile wireless nodes capable of spontaneously forming network 
and support multi-hop communications constitutes a mobile ad hoc network 
(MANET). One of the main reason for popularity of manet is that it does 
not rely on any existing infrastructure.  Several manet routing protocol 
specifications have been developed by IETF's MANET WG. However, currently 
there is no standard specification that can be used by manet nodes to 
auto-configuring its IP address and other network parameters. For IP-based 
infrastructure network there are several specifications for this purpose 
such as RFCs 2461, 2462,3315 etc. However, considering the unique properties 
of ad hoc networks such as multi-hop packet forwarding, absence of 
infrastrastructure e.g. DHCP server, these specifications cannot be directly 
used by nodes constituting ad hoc network.  
 
The main goal of the MANET AUTOCONF is to develop solutions for IPv4 and 
IPv6 address auto-configure that are either manet-local scope i.e. valid 
only within a particular ad hoc network or global scope i.e. addresses that 
are routable on the global Internet.     
     
Stand-alone ad hoc network:    
Such ad hoc networks are not connected to any external network e.g. 
Conference network, battlefield network, surveillance network, etc. For 
such manet, solutions for IPv4 and IPv6 address auto-configuration, 
duplicate address detection  and resolution will be developed considering 
situation where nodes may be added or removed randomly. Any address 
autoconfiguration mechanism for such networks should take care of the lack 
of any pre-established and reliable address or prefix allocation agency.    
   
Ad hoc network at the edge of infra-structure network:
Stand-alone network connected to the Internet via one or more Internet 
gateways i.e nodes sitting in between the two networks comes under this 
scenario. Internet  gateway may be either fixed or mobile, single or 
multiple, equipped with wired and/or wireless interfaces and should be 
able to provide global addressing as well as bidirectional connectivity 
to those manet nodes connected to it either directly (1-hop) or through
one or more intermediate nodes. Manet nodes may use Internet gateway for 
prefix allocation. Presence of Internet gateway may make address 
configuration mechanism comparatively simple but introduces other issues 
such as how manet nodes receive or Internet gateway provides topologically 
correct routing prefix to the manet nodes, how to select gateway, etc.
Hence, for such network sufficient detail about Internet gateway will be 
provided, along with address autoconfiguration solution. 
     
The third scenario where ad hoc network may be stand-alone for most of the 
time but temporarily connected to the infrastructured network e.g. car 
network connected while parked and disconnected otherwise, will also be 
considered.      
     
Two or more ad hoc network may join together or single ad hoc network may 
get partitioned into two or more separate networks, at any moment of time. 
While network partitioning may not cause any severe problem to the node 
functioning, network merging may create problem by introducing more than 
one node in a MANET with the same address.  Hence, appropriate mechanism 
should be provided in order to ensure uniqueness of the configured interface 
addresses after network merger. Any other problem arising due to network
merger and partitioning should also be taken appropriate care.      

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce