Subject: Impending publication: draft-iab-dns-assumptions-02.txt

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:46:27 -0500

The IAB is ready to ask the RFC-Editor to publish

          What's in a Name: False Assumptions about DNS Names
                      draft-iab-dns-assumptions-02

as an Informational RFC. This document reviews the potential
assumptions that may be made based on domain names, as well
as the potential implications (and pitfalls) of those assumptions.

The IAB solicits comments by March 29, 2005. Please send
comments to the IAB ([email-masked]), or to [email-masked].

The document can be found at

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-dns-assumptions-02.txt

>From the Abstract:

   The Domain Name System (DNS) provides an essential service on the
   Internet, mapping structured names to a variety of data, usually IP
   addresses.  These names appear in email addresses, URIs, and other
   application layer identifiers that are often rendered to human users.
   Because of this, there has been a strong demand to acquire names that
   have significance to people, through equivalence to registered
   trademarks, company names, types of services, and so on.  A danger of
   this trend is that the humans and automata which consume and use
   these identifiers will make assumptions about the services that are
   or should be provided by the hosts associated with these identifiers.
   This document discusses this problem in more detail and makes
   recommendations on how it can be avoided.

Leslie Daigle,
      For the IAB.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce