Subject: Document Action: 'Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Digest Authentication Using Authentication and Key Agreement (AKA) Version-2' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:22:10 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Digest Authentication Using 
   Authentication and Key Agreement (AKA) Version-2 '
   <draft-torvinen-http-digest-aka-v2-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Allison Mankin.

RFC Editor Note

Abstract

OLD:

  HTTP Digest as specified in [4] is known to be vulnerable to
   man-in-the-middle attacks if the client fails to authenticate the
   server in TLS, or if the same passwords are used for authentication
   in some other context without TLS.  This is a general problem that
   exist not just with HTTP Digest but also with other IETF protocols
   that use tunneled authentication.  This document specifies version 2
   of the HTTP Digest AKA algorithm [6].  This algorithm can be
   implemented in a way that it is resistant to the man-in-the-middle
   attack.

NEW:

   HTTP Digest as specified in RFC 2617 is known to be vulnerable to
   man-in-the-middle attacks if the client fails to authenticate the
   server in TLS, or if the same passwords are used for authentication
   in some other context without TLS.  This is a general problem that
   exist not just with HTTP Digest but also with other IETF protocols
   that use tunneled authentication.  This document specifies version 2
   of the HTTP Digest AKA algorithm (RFC 3310).  This algorithm can be
   implemented in a way that it is resistant to the man-in-the-middle
   attack.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce