Subject: New BOF in Applications Area - SLRRP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 02:21:33 -0500

Simple Lightweight RFID Reader Protocol BOF (slrrp)

Tuesday, March 8 at 1300-1500
=============================

CHAIRS: Scott Barvick <[email-masked]>
        Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>

AGENDA:

- Welcome and agenda bashing
- Review of proposed WG history, mailing list activity, and progress
  update on SLRRP I-D
- Discussion of proposed WG charter with goal of quantifying critical
  interest and achieving consensus on the WG charter
- Milestone discussions with development of next steps and assignment 
  of owners.
- Remaining time will be devoted to technical discussion of SLRRP and
  development of open item list for further discussion on mailing list.

DESCRIPTION:

Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) is a technique whereby a device,
known as an RFID 'reader', can remotely sense the presence of, and
access embedded memory on, a transponder, known as a 'tag'. Tags may be
affixed to objects as a means to track the location and movement of said
objects within facilities equipped with readers. Tags may also include
environmental sensors that may capture and report conditions to which
the tag has been subjected. The tags can be stationary (attached to
fixed locations in a facility) or mobile (attached to things moving
about the facility). The readers can be stationary (attached to doors,
walls, shelving, or scaffolding) or mobile (handheld, or vehicle-
mounted).

Recently, as a result of the development of standard RF (air) protocols
and through the application of low-cost embedded computing technology,
the implementation of RFID readers has evolved from peripherals,
typically connected to a host computer via a serial port; to standalone
devices supporting TCP/IP stacks, connected via wired (Ethernet) or
wireless (802.11) LAN technology to enterprise computing resources
supporting RFID-enabled client applications. 

We envision a typical RFID deployment comprising of a network of RFID
readers controlled by one or more reader network controller elements
(which may be software in a server, embedded software in a
router/switch, or a standalone device). These controller elements in
turn are connected to hosts/servers running client applications that
ultimately consume the acquired tag data and management applications
that monitor the operation of the reader network.

This working group will specify a controller-to-reader protocol, the Simple
Lightweight RFID Reader Protocol, or SLRRP (pronounced 'slurp') for use
in an IP-based network to convey configuration, control, status, and tag
information to and from readers. This will be the initial priority of
the working group.  In the future, the working group may specify 
a set of cooperating functions and possibly protocols that achieve the
level of operations support and management expected of devices in today's
IP network infrastructure.  

It is possible that work undertaken in other working groups and even 
other standards bodies (e.g. MIBs, discovery protocols) will be 
referenced by this working group.  It is even possible that entire
deliverables could be satisfied by the work of other working groups 
(e.g. discovery protocols).  This working group will seek to maximize
the use of existing specifications where applicable.  

SLRRP Interaction With Other Standards Bodies:

There are currently two organizations that develop specifications for 
RFID air protocols, ISO and EPCGlobal.  Because the IETF will not define a 
specific RFID air protocol, it is an appropriate venue for the development
of an air protocol-independent framework for RFID reader communications and
management.  This is the goal of SLRRP. 

Because this working group seeks to develop operations and protocols based
on RFID operations defined in publically available documents, there is no 
need for a formal liason between this working group and other organizations.
  
Members of the working group are encouraged to participate in the other
standards development forums so that the proper awareness of dependencies and
cooperating functions can be maintained.

Goals and Milestones:

November 04   Post draft-krishna-slrrp-00.txt and draft working group charter 
              (Complete)
Jaunary  05   Post updates to draft-krishna-slrrp-00.txt
              (Complete)
Febrary  05   Plan for BoF at 62nd IETF
March    05   BoF at 62nd IETF 
April    05   Complete required charter actions
Sept.    05   Submit SLRRP to IESG as Proposed Standard

Internet-Drafts:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-krishna-slrrp-01.txt

Informational Links:
http://www.iso.org
http://www.epcglobalinc.org
http://www.rfidjournal.com

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce