Subject: Protocol Action: 'Connection-Oriented Media Transport in the Session Description Protocol (SDP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:35:15 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Connection-Oriented Media Transport in the Session Description Protocol 
   (SDP) '
   <draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-comedia-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Allison Mankin.

Technical Summary

Traditionally, the Session Description Protocol (SDP) is used to set up
connectionless media that runs over UDP or DCCP. When bidirectional media is set
up with SDP, it is in fact established as a pair of unidirectional sockets. This
specification describes how to express media transport over connection-oriented
protocols in SDP. It defines the SDP TCP protocol identifier, the SDP setup
attribute, which describes the connection setup procedure, and the SDP
connection attribute, which handles connection reestablishment.

Working Group Summary

The MMUSIC WG supported the advancement of this specification, though for some
time its applicability was in question. There are known implementations of this
mechanism in the field.

Protocol Quality
 
This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce