Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for Uncompressed Video' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:33:34 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RTP Payload Format for Uncompressed Video '
   <draft-ietf-avt-uncomp-video-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

         *    Technical Summary

This RTP payload format specifies a packetization scheme for 
encapsulating uncompressed video. It supports a range of standard- and 
high-definition video formats, including common television formats such 
as ITU BT.601, and standards from the Society of Motion Picture and 
Television Engineers (SMPTE), such as SMPTE 274M and SMPTE 296M. The 
format is designed to be applicable and extensible to new video 
formats as they are developed.

Uncompressed video formats may produces very high bandwidth streams
and therefore this format specifies a mandatory congestion control
procedure.  

         *    Working Group Summary

The WG supported the publication of this specification.

         *    Protocol Quality

This RTP payload format builds on the high bit-rate knowledge learned 
through RFC 3497 and otherwise uses common methods for RTP payload 
format design. The format has been implemented and also interoperability 
tested in the process of development. The document has been reviewed by
Philippe Gentric and Magnus Westerlund, and for the IESG by Allison Mankin.

    *   RFC Editor Notes
 
Section 6.1 MIME Type Registration

Encoding Considerations
OLD:
     Uncompressed video can be transmitted with RTP as specified in RFC
     XXXX. No file format is defined at this time.
NEW:
     Uncompressed video is only transmitted over RTP as specified in RFC
     XXXX. No file format media type has been defined to go with this 
     transmission media type at this time.

OLD:
   Magic number(s): None

   File extension(s): None

   Macintosh File Type Code(s): None
NEW:
   Delete these three lines.

OLD:
Author/Change controller: Ladan Gharai <[email-masked]>
NEW:
Author: Ladan Gharai <[email-masked]>
Change Controller:  IETF AVT Working Group
      delegated from the IESG

Section 3, 1st paragraph:
OLD:

    Each scan line of digital video is packetized into one or more RTP
    packets.  If the data for a complete scan line exceeds the network
    MTU, the scan line SHOULD be fragmented into multiple RTP packets,
    each smaller than the MTU. A single RTP packet MAY contain data for
    more than one scan line. Only the active samples are included in the
    RTP payload: inactive samples and the contents of horizontal and
    vertical blanking SHOULD NOT be transported.  Scan line numbers are
    included in the RTP payload header, along with a field identifier for
    interlaced video.

NEW:

    Each scan line of digital video is packetized into one or more RTP
    packets.  If the data for a complete scan line exceeds the network
    MTU, the scan line SHOULD be fragmented into multiple RTP packets,
    each smaller than the MTU. A single RTP packet MAY contain data for
    more than one scan line. Only the active samples are included in the
    RTP payload: inactive samples and the contents of horizontal and
    vertical blanking SHOULD NOT be transported.  In instances where
   ancillary data is being transmitted the sender and receiver can  
   disambiguate  between ancillary and video data via scan line numbers.
   That is, the  ancillary data will use scan line numbers that are not within 
  the scope of the  video frame.

    Scan line numbers are included in the RTP payload header, along with  
   a field identifier for interlaced video.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce