Subject: Protocol Action: 'Registration of the text/red MIME Sub-Type' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:17:28 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Registration of the text/red MIME Sub-Type '
   <draft-ietf-avt-text-red-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary

 This specification defines the text/red MIME sub-type.  The actual RTP
 packetization for this MIME type is specified in RFC 2198.   In this
 protocol, multiple redundant payloads of text are carried in RTP;   the
 recently approved revision of the "RTP Payload for Text Conversation"
 (RFC 2793bis) is an example of a beneficiary of this protocol.

 Working Group Summary

 The Working Group supported this specification.  During IETF Last
  Call, there was a high-energy community discussion about
  the use of the top-level "text" type here.  It led to agreeing on an
  approach that media type registration for a strongly restricted domain
  use of a top-level such as text be defined in a Restrictions on Usage
  section.

 Protocol Quality

  The type text/red is implemented and deployed, due to the original
  RFC 2793, but since it is not of exclusive use to text conversation,
  when it was noted that registration had never been done, a separate
  registration draft was called out.
  
  The review for the IESG was conducted by Allison Mankin.  The revised
  media type registration with the Restrictions on Usage section was
  sent for review to the ietf-types list, and comments were addressed.

RFC Editor Notes

Abstract

OLD:
    This document defines the text/red MIME sub-type.  The actual RTP
    packetization for this MIME type is specified in RFC 2198

NEW:

    This document defines the text/red MIME sub-type.  "Red" is short for
    redundant.  The actual RTP packetization for this MIME type is specified
    in RFC 2198.

Section 3

OLD:
Optional parameters: ptime, maxptime

NEW:
Optional parameters: ptime, maxptime (these attributes
 are originally defined in RFC 2327 and RFC 3267 respectively)

[Add normative reference to RFC 3267]

-------

OLD:
          Encoding considerations:
          This type is only defined for transfer via RTP.
NEW:

         Restrictions on Usage:
          This type is defined only for transfer via RTP.
          It shall not be defined for a storage format.

         Encoding considerations:
          See Restrictions on Usage above; this section is
          included per the requirements in RFC 3555.

[A new Restrictions on Usage section is added before 
 a modified Encoding consideration]

-------

OLD:

         Author                             / Change controller:
         Paul E. Jones                     | IETF avt WG
         [email-masked]     |

NEW:

       Author:
         Paul E. Jones
         [email-masked]

       Change Controller:
         AVT Working Group delegated from the IESG

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce