Subject: RFC 4042 on UTF-9 and UTF-18 Efficient Transformation Formats of Unicode

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:13:17 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

         RFC 4042

         Title:      UTF-9 and UTF-18 Efficient Transformation Formats
                     of Unicode
         Author(s):  M. Crispin
         Status:     Informational
         Date:       1 April 2005
         Mailbox:    [email-masked]
         Pages:      9
         Characters: 19123
         Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4042.txt

ISO-10646 defines a large character set called the Universal
Character Set (UCS), which encompasses most of the world's writing
systems.  The same set of codepoints is defined by Unicode, which
further defines additional character properties and other
implementation details.  By policy of the relevant standardization
committees, changes to Unicode and amendments and additions to
ISO/IEC 646 track each other, so that the character repertoires and
code point assignments remain in synchronization.

The current representation formats for Unicode (UTF-7, UTF-8, UTF-16)
are not storage and computation efficient on platforms that utilize
the 9 bit nonet as a natural storage unit instead of the 8 bit octet.

This document describes a transformation format of Unicode that takes
advantage of the nonet so that the format will be storage and
computation efficient.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce