Subject: Document Action: 'Basic Network Media Services with SIP' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:20:29 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Basic Network Media Services with SIP '
   <draft-burger-sipping-netann-11.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Allison Mankin.

Technical Summary
 
 This document describes informationally a basic set of media services
  for SIP: media announcements, voiceXML dialogues, and the simplest
  conference mixing.  The approach to providing these uses special
  Request-URIs and URI parameters.  The approach does not provide
  a general framework or extensibility, though the authors have paid 
  attention to compatibility with the SIPPING working group's conferencing
  approaches.

Working Group Summary
 
 This document received a number of discussions in the SIPPING WG
  as to whether it should become an IETF work item.  The WG did not
  choose to develop this document, nor to work on this area.

  RFC 3969 describes the registry for SIP URI parameters.  It has an erratum
  and states both that RFC 2434 Specification Required and Standards Track
  RFC policies are needed to registry these parameters.  The working group
  was determined by AD/Chair re-review to not want Standards Track RFC, so 
  there is not a conflict for this document.  The IANA in the process of
updating
  the registry information to reflect this (see correspondence in the tracker
log).
  
Protocol Quality
 
 The document was given Expert Review on its SIP aspects by SIPPING.  
 A URI review was given by Larry Masinter.  Allison Mankin shepherded
 it for the IESG.    The authors report interoperating implementations.

RFC Editor Note:

OLD:
   To date, none of the IETF audio MIME registrations have parameters.
   Vendor-specific registrations, such as audio/x-wav, do have
   parameters.  However, they are not strictly needed for prompt
   fetching.

   On the other hand, the prevalence of parameters may change in the
   future.  In addition, existing video registrations have parameters,
   such as video/DV.  To accommodate this,

NEW:
   A number of MIME registrations which could be used here have parameters,
   for instance, video/DV.  To accommodate this,

RFC Editor Note/IANA Note

OLD:
6.  IANA Considerations

   None.

NEW:
6.  IANA Considerations

IANA will register the following parameters in the SIP/SIPS URI Parameters
registry, following the specification required policy of RFC 3969:

Parameter Name     Predefined Values         Reference
--------------     -----------------     ---------
play                         no                               <This RFC>
repeat                      no                               <This RFC>
delay                        no                               <This RFC>
duration                   no                               <This RFC>
locale                       no                               <This RFC>
param[n]                  no                               <This RFC>
extension                 no                               <This RFC>

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce