Subject: Protocol Action: 'Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications: ABNF' to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:35:53 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications: ABNF '
   <draft-crocker-abnf-rfc2234bis-00.txt> as a Draft Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Scott Hollenbeck.

Technical Summary
 
Internet technical specifications often need to define a format
syntax.  Over the years a modified version of Backus-Naur Form (BNF),
called Augmented BNF (ABNF), has been popular among many Internet
specifications.  The current specification documents ABNF.  It
balances compactness and simplicity, with reasonable representational
power.  The differences between standard BNF and ABNF involve naming
rules, repetition, alternatives, order-independence, and value
ranges.  This specification also supplies additional rule definitions
and encoding for a core lexical analyzer of the type common to
several Internet specifications.

This document obsoletes RFC 2234.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This document is the work of individual submitters.  It was produced
to address comments received from the IESG when the IESG was asked
to elevate RFC 2234 to Draft Standard status.  An IETF last call on
the request to elevate RFC 2234 was completed in June 2004.
 
Protocol Quality
 
Harald Alvestrand, Bill Fenner, and Scott Hollenbeck evaluated this
specification for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note:

Abstract and Section 1, first sentence:
OLD:
"Internet technical specifications often need to define a format"
                                                          ^^^^^^

NEW:
"Internet technical specifications often need to define a formal"
(change "format" to "formal")

Section 1:
OLD:
"Changes in the latest version of this Internet Draft:"

NEW:
"Changes Since RFC 2234:"

Section 3.1:
OLD:
NOTE:

  NOTE: This specification for ABNF does not provide for implicit
  specification of linear white space.

NEW:
  NOTE: This specification for ABNF does not provide for implicit
  specification of linear white space.
(remove frist instance of "NOTE")

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce