Subject: Protocol Action: 'Vendor-Specific Information Suboption for the DHCP Relay Agent Option' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 17:57:22 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Vendor-Specific Information Suboption for the DHCP Relay Agent Option '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-vendor-suboption-00.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Mark Townsley.

RFC Editor Note

Dear RFC Editor,

   (1) Please change the spelling of IPsec throughout:

   OLD:
   IPSEC

   NEW:
   IPsec
   ---

   (2) At the end of section 3, change:

   OLD:
   The Vendor-specific data are of course provider-specific.

   NEW:
   The Vendor-specific data are of course vendor-specific.
   ---

   (3) Remove the following text:

   OLD:
   DHCP server vendors are encouraged to offer their administrators some
   means of configuring the use of data from incoming Vendor-Specific
   suboptions in DHCP decision-making.

   NEW:
   <Nothing>

  - Technical Summary

This document defines a suboption for the Dynamic Host Configuration
Protocol (DHCP) relay agent information option (RFC 3046). The
Vendor-Specific Information suboption allows a DHCP relay agent to
include vendor-specific information in DHCP messages it forwards, as
configured by its administrator.  The definition of a suboption that
carries vendor-specific information allows vendors and network
administrators to carry additional information in options that have
not been accepted as an Internet Standard.  This relay agent
information option suboption is similar to the Vendor Identifying
Vendor Option defined in RFC 3925.

  - Working Group Summary

As noted above, there was no response to the initial last WG on this
document.  There was good response and consensus during the second WG
last call.

  - Protocol Quality

This specification is a simple extension of the Vendor Identifying
Vendor Option defined in RFC 3925. We have no information about
current or planned implementations.  Vendors in the dhc WG expressed
support that the new sub-option would be generally useful.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce