Subject: RFC 4076 on Renumbering Requirements for Stateless Dynamic HostConfiguration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 17:31:41 -0500

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4076

        Title:      Renumbering Requirements for Stateless
                    Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6
                    (DHCPv6)
        Author(s):  T. Chown, S. Venaas, A. Vijayabhaskar
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       May 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 15745
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-stateless-dhcpv6-renumbering-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4076.txt

IPv6 hosts using Stateless Address Autoconfiguration are able to
configure their IPv6 address and default router
settings automatically.  However, further settings are not available.
If these hosts wish to configure their DNS, NTP, or other
specific settings automatically, the stateless variant of the Dynamic
Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) could be used.  This 
combination of Stateless Address Autoconfiguration and stateless
DHCPv6 could be used quite commonly in IPv6 networks.  However, hosts
using this combination currently have no means by which to be
informed of changes in stateless DHCPv6 option settings; e.g., the
addition of a new NTP server address, a change in DNS search paths,
or full site renumbering.  This document is presented as a problem
statement from which a solution should be proposed in a subsequent
document.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce