Subject: Protocol Action: 'Multicast Router Discovery' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:12:05 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Multicast Router Discovery '
   <draft-ietf-magma-mrdisc-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multicast & Anycast Group Membership 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Mark Townsley.

Technical Summary

  The concept of Internet Group Membership Protocol (IGMP) and
  Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) snooping requires the ability
  to identify the location of multicast routers.  Since snooping
  is not standardized, there are many mechanisms in use to
  identify the multicast routers.  However, this can lead to
  interoperability issues between multicast routers and snooping
  switches from different vendors.
  This document introduces a general mechanism that allows for the
  discovery of multicast routers.  This new mechanism, Multicast
  Router Discovery (MRD), introduces a standardized means of
  identifying multicast routers without a dependency on particular
  multicast routing protocols.

Working Group Summary

The working group strongly supports the advancement of the
Multicast Router Discovery draft.

Protocol Quality

There were review comments for this document during WG discussion
in both IDMP and MAGMA and clarification comments during WG last
call.

This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce