Subject: Protocol Action: 'Teredo: Tunneling IPv6 over UDP through NATs' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:14:07 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Teredo: Tunneling IPv6 over UDP through NATs '
   <draft-huitema-v6ops-teredo-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Margaret Wasserman.

Technical Summary
 
   We propose here a service that enables nodes located behind one or
   more IPv4 NATs to obtain IPv6 connectivity by tunneling packets over
   UDP; we call this the Teredo service. Running the service requires
   the help of "Teredo servers" and "Teredo relays"; the Teredo servers
   are stateless, and only have to manage a small fraction of the
   traffic between Teredo clients; the Teredo relays act as IPv6
   routers between the Teredo service and the "native" IPv6 Internet;
   the relays can also provide interoperability with hosts using other
   transition mechanisms such as "6to4".
 
Working Group Summary
 
   Teredo is an AD-sponsored individual submission, however it was
   originally an NGTRANS WG work item and the current draft has 
   been reviewed by the V6OPS WG.
 
Protocol Quality

   Jonathan Rosenberg reviewed this draft to ensure that it met the 
   IAB UNSAF considerations, and several people provided useful last
   call comments:  Eric Klein, Jeroen Massar, Pekka Savola, Jonne 
   Soininen, Karen Nielsen, Francis Dupont, Paul Hoffman, Joe Abley,
   Markku Ala-Vannesluoma and Henrik Levkowetz.

   This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce