Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Camellia Cipher Algorithm and Its Use With IPsec' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:51:53 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Camellia Cipher Algorithm and Its Use With IPsec '
   <draft-kato-ipsec-ciph-camellia-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

Technical Summary
 
  This document describes the use of the Camellia block cipher
  algorithm in Cipher Block Chaining Mode, with an explicit IV,
  as a confidentiality mechanism within the context of the IPsec 
  Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP).
 
Working Group Summary
 
  This is an individual contribution, but it was reviewed by the
  IPsec Working Group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note

  Please remove some of the marketing hype from the introductory
  material.  The goal is to preserve the facts, give credit to the
  developers, but eliminate the marketing hype.

  OLD:

    Camellia was jointly developed by NTT and Mitsubishi Electric
    Corporation in 2000. It was carefully designed to withstand all
    known cryptanalytic attacks and even to have a sufficiently large
    security leeway. It has been scrutinized by worldwide
    cryptographic experts.

    Camellia was also designed to have suitability for both software
    and hardware implementations and to cover all possible encryption
    applications that range from low-cost smart cards to high-speed
    network systems.  Compared to the AES, Camellia offers at least
    comparable encryption speed in software and hardware. Camellia has a
    Feistel structure, which is different from AES. It is rich for the
    IPsec community that has block cipher in which was well verified by
    the cryptographic expert with another structure. In addition, a
    distinguishing feature is its small hardware design.

    The Camellia homepage, http://info.isl.ntt.co.jp/camellia/,
    contains a wealth of information about camellia, including
    detailed specification, security analysis, performance figures,
    reference implementation, test vectors, and intellectual property
    information.

  NEW:

    Camellia is a symmetric cipher with a  Feistel structure.
    Camellia was jointly developed by NTT and Mitsubishi Electric
    Corporation in 2000. It was designed to withstand all known
    cryptanalytic attacks, and it has been scrutinized by
    cryptographic experts. Camellia is suitable for implementation
    in software and hardware, offering encryption speed in
    software and hardware implementations that are comparable
    to AES.
 
    The Camellia homepage, http://info.isl.ntt.co.jp/camellia/,
    contains a wealth of information about camellia, including
    detailed specification, security analysis, performance figures,
    reference implementation, test vectors, and intellectual property
    information.

  The last sentence in section 2.1 is irrelevant to this document.
  Please delete it.

  OLD:

    For the use of CBC mode in ESP with 64-bit ciphers, please see [CBC].

  The sentence deleted above is the only reference to [CBC].  Please
  delete the [CBC] reference too.

  OLD:

   [CBC]       Pereira, R. and R. Adams, "The ESP CBC-Mode Cipher
               Algorithms," RFC 2451, November 1998.

  Please replace the [ESP] reference with the recently approved update,
  which is already in the RFC Editor queue.

  OLD:

   [ESP]       Kent, S. and R. Atkinson, "IP Encapsulating Security
               Payload (ESP)", RFC 2406, November 1998.

  NEW:

   [ESP]       Kent, S., "IP Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP)",
               draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-v3-09.txt.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce