Subject: Protocol Action: 'MPLS/BGP Layer 3 Virtual Private Network Management Information Base' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:48:31 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'MPLS/BGP Layer 3 Virtual Private Network Management Information Base '
   <draft-ietf-l3vpn-mpls-vpn-mib-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Mark Townsley and Margaret Wasserman.

Technical Summary
 
This memo defines an portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for use
with network management protocols in the Internet community.  In particular, it
describes managed objects to configure and/or monitor Multi-protocol Label
Switching Layer-3 Virtual Private Networks on a Multi-Protocol Label Switching
(MPLS) Label Switching Router (LSR) supporting this feature.
 
Working Group Summary (From Ron Bonica)

Around this time last year (April 2004) there was significant contraversy
regarding one particular item in the VPN MIB. See the thread
"draft-ietf-l3vpn-mpls-vpn-mib drop counter" in the (l3vpn mailing list)
archive. This issue was resolved in early summer (2004) and there has been
general consensus since then. 
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed by (MIB Doctor) Bert Wijnen and Mark Townsley.

RFC Editor Note:

There are 3 items that the IESG requests the RFC Editor to correct before
publication of this document.

1. In section 18, please change:

'Each of the following "IANA Considerations" subsections requests'

to:

'The following subsection requests'

2. Note that the "9999" in the text below is not an the actual number, it is a
number that needs to be assigned by IANA. It would have been much better to have"xxxx" or "nnnn" here, but that is not case this time.

>    MIB OID assignment of:
>    ::= { mplsStdMIB 9999 } -- assigned by IANA, see section
>                              18.1 for details

3. Please make the various references consistent with respect to hyphen usage
as in the example below:

>    The MODULE is named: MPLS-L3VPN-STD-MIB
>    And then in the one MODULE-COMPLIANCE he speaks of "L3 MPLS VPN MIB"
>    and in the 2nd MODULE-COMPLIANCE he speaks of "L3-MPLS-VPN-STD-MIB"
>    which is inconsistent and confusing.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce