Subject: Protocol Action: 'Default Router Preferences and More-Specific Routes' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 20:27:01 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Default Router Preferences and More-Specific Routes '
   <draft-ietf-ipv6-router-selection-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Mark Townsley.

Technical Summary

  This document describes an optional extension to Router
  Advertisement messages for communicating default router preferences
  and more-specific routes from routers to hosts. This improves the
  ability of hosts to pick an appropriate router, especially when the
  host is multi-homed and the routers are on different links. The
  preference values and specific routes advertised to hosts require
  administrative configuration; they are not automatically derived
  from routing tables.

Working Group Summary

The IPv6 working group has done extensive review of this document and
this document reflects the consensus of the group.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed by members of the [email-masked]
mailing list and by the working group chairs.  This document has been
reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

RFC Editor Note

Dear RFC Editor, 

Please make the following change in section 1 (Introduction):

OLD:

    This document describes an optional extension to Neighbor Discovery
    Router Advertisement messages for communicating default router
    preferences and more-specific routes from routers to hosts. This
    improves the ability of hosts to pick an appropriate router for an
    off-link destination.

NEW:

    This document describes an optional extension to Neighbor Discovery
    Router Advertisement messages for communicating default router
    preferences and more-specific routes from routers to hosts. This
    improves the ability of hosts to pick an appropriate router for an
    off-link destination.

    Note that since these procedures are applicable to hosts only, the
    forwarding algorithm used by the routers (including hosts with enabled IP
    forwarding) is not affected.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce