Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: IP Over Resilient Packet Rings (iporpr)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 10:57:43 -0400

The charter of the IP Over Resilient Packet Rings (iporpr) working group 
in the Internet Area of the IETF has been updated. For additional information, 
please contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

IP Over Resilient Packet Rings (iporpr)
=========================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Glenn Parsons <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):
W. Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
W. Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe iporpr
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/iporpr/index.html

Description of Working Group:

Resilient Packet Rings (RPR), developed within the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG, provides
substantial enhancements in both efficiency and flexibility over current
bi-directional ring topologies. Benefits of resilient packet rings include
spatial re-use (full utilization of both counter-rotating rings) while
maintaining protection switching during media faults, as well as defined
mechanisms for topology discovery, congestion control, and protection switching.
Reference the IEEE 802.17 RPR WG at http://www.ieee802.org/17/ for further
information. IEEE 802.17-2004 is currently published and work is in progress on
bridging enhancements.

The IPORPR Working Group will produce two documents:

1) An IPORPR definition of how to transport IP/MPLS over 802.17 RPR in
"basic mode". This document will cover encapsulation formats
(e.g., IPv4/IPv6), how to perform address resolution (e.g., ARP/ND), IP
multicast transmission, priority mapping to the RPR
"serviceClass", etc.

2) An IPORPR framework that goes beyond "basic mode," describing some
of the features and characteristics of 802.17 RPR, and how they
might be exploited by, e.g., IP or MPLS. For example, an RPR ring
can be accessed in a number of ways: it can be viewed as a "dumb"
LAN supporting traditional broadcast like Ethernet ("basic mode"),
or its advanced features could be exploited.

The IPoRPR WG will coordinate its activities with other appropriate
standards bodies and encourage cross participation with those
bodies. Coordination will take place with the following bodies in
particular: IEEE 802.17 (http://www.ieee802.org/17/) - ITU-T SG15 Q9,
11, 12 (http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com15/sg15.html)

Goals and Milestones:

May 05 Publish draft IPoRPR definition for "basic mode"
Jun 05 Publish draft IPoRPR framework document.
Aug 05 Submit final draft of definition to the IESG for
Proposed Standard Status.
Sep 05 Submit final draft of framework to the IESG for
Informational Status.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce