Subject: RFC 4054 on Impairments and Other Constraints on Optical Layer Routing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:15:53 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4054

        Title:      Impairments and Other Constraints on Optical Layer
                    Routing
        Author(s):  J. Strand, Ed., A. Chiu, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       May 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 73327
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipo-impairments-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4054.txt

Optical networking poses a number challenges for Generalized
Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS).  Fundamentally, optical
technology is an analog rather than digital technology whereby the 
optical layer is lowest in the transport hierarchy and hence has an
intimate relationship with the physical geography of the network.
This contribution surveys some of the aspects of optical networks
that impact routing and identifies possible GMPLS responses for each:
(1) Constraints arising from the design of new software controllable
network elements, (2) Constraints in a single all-optical domain
without wavelength conversion, (3) Complications arising in more
complex networks incorporating both all-optical and opaque
architectures, and (4) Impacts of diversity constraints.

This document is a product of the IP Over Optical Working Group of the
IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce