Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Audio/Video Transport (avt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:50:53 -0400

The charter of the Audio/Video Transport (avt) working group in the Transport
Area of the IETF has been updated. For additional information, please contact 
the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

Audio/Video Transport (avt)
============================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Director(s):
Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Advisor:
Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman//listinfo/avt
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/index.html

Description of Working Group:
The Audio/Video Transport Working Group was formed to specify a
protocol for real-time transmission of audio and video over unicast
and multicast UDP/IP. This is the Real-time Transport Protocol, RTP,
together with its associated profiles and payload formats. The
current aims of the working group are:  

- to review and revise existing payload formats to advance those
  which are useful to Draft Standard, and to declare others
  as Historic. Milestones will be established as a champion for
  each payload format is identified.

- to develop payload formats for new media codecs, and to
  document best-current practices in payload format design.
  The group continues to be precluded from work on codecs
  themselves because of overlap with the other standards
  bodies, and because the IETF does not have the ability
  to effectively review new codecs. An exception was made
  for the freeware iLBC codec on a highly experimental basis,
  but acceptance of new codec work is unexpected and subject
  to rechartering.

- to complete the forward error correction work to update 
  RFC 2733 in the form of the ULP payload format

- to investigate and if suitable develop a framework for advanced 
  FEC codes and their usage for RTP, possibly with alignment to
  the RMT WG's FEC building block. 

- to extend RTP to work with Source-Specific Multicast sessions
  with unicast feedback

- to provide a framing mechanism for RTP over TCP and TLS

- in collaboration with the MPLS and ROHC WGs, to develop a solution
  for header compression of RTP across MPLS networks that avoid
  decompression and compression at each MPLS node.

- to develop a new RTP profile as the combination of the SRTP
  profile and the Extended RTP Profile for RTCP-based Feedback
  (RTP/SAVPF)

- to develop a new RTP profile for usage of TFRC (RFC 3448) with
  RTP over UDP to allow application developers to gain experience 
  with TCP friendly congestion control.
  
- to develop a MIB for RTCP XR (RFC 3611).

- to update the RTP MIB, including aligning it with RFC 3550.

The longer term goals of the working group are to advance the
SRTP Profile, the Extended RTP Profile for RTCP-based Feedback,
the Compressed RTP framework, and the RTP MIB to Draft Standard.

The group has no plans to develop new RTP profiles beyond those
listed above, but will consider rechartering to produce profile
level extensions if appropriate.

Goals and Milestones:
Done    Review DCCP including prototypes and API; feedback to DCCP WG  
Done    Initial draft requirements for ECRTP over MPLS; discuss with MPLS WG  
Done    Submit iLBC payload format for Proposed Standard  
Done    Submit iLBC codec specification for Experimental  
Done    Advance RTP specification and A/V profile to Full Standard  
Sep 05    Submit RTP/SAVPF profile for Proposed Standard  
Sep 05    Submit RTCP/SSM draft for Proposed Standard  
Nov 05    Submit ULP Payload Format for Proposed Standard  
Nov 05    Finished investigation of advanced FEC codes for RTP, update plan  
Nov 05    Submit update of RTP MIB for Proposed or Draft Standard  
Nov 05    Submit Framing of RTP for TLS for Proposed Standard  
Nov 05    Submit RTP Profile for TFRC for Proposed Standard  
Nov 05    Submit RTCP XR MIB for Proposed Standard  
Dec 05    Submit any extensions for RTP HC on MPLS networks for Proposed Standard  
Mar 06    Submit SRTP for Draft Standard  
Sep 06    Submit RTP/AVPF for Draft Standard  

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce