Subject: RFC 4088 on Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) Scheme for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:47:33 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4088

        Title:      Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) Scheme for the
                    Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
        Author(s):  D. Black, K. McCloghrie, J. Schoenwaelder
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       June 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 43019
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-black-snmp-uri-09.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4088.txt

The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) and the Internet
Standard Management Framework are widely
used for the management of communication devices, creating a need to
specify SNMP access (including access to SNMP MIB object
instances) from non-SNMP management environments.  For example,
when out-of-band IP management is used via a separate management
interface (e.g., for a device that does not support in-band IP
access), a uniform way to indicate how to
contact the device for management is needed.  Uniform Resource
Identifiers (URIs) fit this need well, as they allow a single text
string to indicate a management access communication endpoint for a
wide variety of IP-based protocols.

This document defines a URI scheme so that SNMP can be designated
as the protocol used for management.  The scheme also allows a URI
to designate one or more MIB object instances.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce