Subject: Protocol Action: 'Entity State MIB' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:43:23 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Entity State MIB '
   <draft-ietf-entmib-state-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Entity MIB Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and David Kessens.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-entmib-state-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
  This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
  for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
  In particular, it describes extensions to the Entity MIB to
  provide information about the state of physical entities.

Working Group Summary
 
  This document is a work item of the Entity MIB WG.  This document
  was carefully reviewed by the members of the Entity MIB WG and
  the group has consensus to publish this document.

Protocol Quality
 
  Bert Wijnen reviewed this document for the IESG. Also, 
  Juergen Shoenwaelder carefully reviewed several versions of this
  document and made comments that improved the document.

Notes to RFC Editor

- Please add one paragraph to the abstract:

   In addition this memo defines a set of Textual Conventions to represent
   various states of an entity. The intent is that these textual conventions
   will be imported and used in MIB modules that would otherwise define their
   own representations.

- Pls change sect 6, first para into 2 paragraphs:

  OLD:

   There is one management object - entStateAdmin - defined in this MIB
   that has a MAX-ACCESS clause of read-write. The object may be
   considered sensitive or vulnerable in some network environments.
   The support for SET operations in a non-secure environment without
   proper protection can have a negative effect on network operations.

  NEW:

   The ENTITY-STATE-TC-MIB defined in section 4  does not define any
   management objects.  Instead, it defines a set of textual conventions
   which may be used by other MIB modules to define management objects.
   Meaningful security considerations can only be written in the MIB
   modules that define management objects.  The  ENTITY-STATE-TC-MIB 
   has therefore no impact on the security of the Internet.

   The ENTITY-STATE-MIB defined in section 5 defines on management object
    - entStateAdmin - that has a MAX-ACCESS clause of read-write. The object
   may be considered sensitive or vulnerable in some network environments.
   The support for SET operations in a non-secure environment without
   proper protection can have a negative effect on network operations.

- Section 11.1 pls correct section title

  OLD:
   11.1  Normative
  NEW:
   11.1  Normative References

- update IANA Considerations Section.

  As per the "Note to IANA", pls ensure that both OID assignments for
  the 2 MIB modules get documented.

Note to IANA

  Pls make sure to record the assignment of an OID to both MIB modules
  in the IANA Considerations Section. Current text suggests that there
  is only one MIB modules, but as you have noticed (according to your
  IETF Last Call review comments) there are actually 2 MIB modules in
  this document.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce