Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Codecs Parameter for "Bucket" Media Types' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:32:58 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Codecs Parameter for "Bucket" Media Types '
   <draft-gellens-mime-bucket-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Allison Mankin.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-mime-bucket-04.txt

Technical Summary
 
    Several MIME type/subtype combinations exist which can contain
    different media formats (audio/3gpp, video/3gpp, and pending
    audio/3gpp2, video3gpp2). 

    A receiving agent receiving these needs to examine
    the details of such media content to determine if the specific
    elements can be rendered given an available set of codecs.
    Especially when the end system has limited resources, or the
    connection to the end system has limited bandwidth, it would be
    helpful to be informed from the Content-Type alone if the content 
    can be rendered.
    
    This document adds a new parameter, "codecs", to several
    type/subtype combinations to allow for unambiguous specification of
    the codecs indicated by the media formats contained within. 

Working Group Summary
 
  This is an independent submission, but it was reviewed for structure
  and overall content by the Audio Video Transport Working Group,
  and it received review comments on the IETF types mailing list.  
  There were revisions of the draft for both reviews.  The four week
  review of the document for IETF Last Call did not elicit further comments.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 Allison Mankin was the IESG reviewer.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce