Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Extensible Markup Language (XML) Configuration Access Protocol (XCAP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:53:03 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Extensible Markup Language (XML) Configuration Access Protocol (XCAP) '
   <draft-ietf-simple-xcap-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence 
Leveraging Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Scott Hollenbeck.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-xcap-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
In many communications applications, such as Voice over IP, instant
messaging, and presence, it is necessary for network servers to
access per-user information in the process of servicing a request.
While this per-user information resides on servers within the network, it
is managed by the end user themselves.  Management can be done through
many access points, including the web, a wireless handset, or a PC application.
Among these per-user information stores are presence lists and authorization
policiies, requirements for which have been specified by the SIMPLE working
group.
This specification describes a protocol that can be used to
 manipulate this per-user data.   XCAP is essentially a set
of conventions for mapping XML documents and document components into
HTTP URLs, rules for how the modification of one resource affects
another, data validation constraints, and authorization policies
associated with access to those resources.  Because of this
structure, normal HTTP primitives can be used to manipulate the data.
XCAP is meant to support the configuration needs for a multiplicity of
applications, rather than just a single one.  It is not, however, a general
purpose XML search protocol or XML database update protocol.

Working Group Summary
 
The working group came to consensus on this approach after significant
discussion  of the  trade-offs.  Adoption of an existing specification, 
like XPATH, was considered, but the balance of capabilities did not seem 
right to the working group; insteada more restricted set of capabilities 
tuned to this specific use case was agreed.  There were comments during 
the Last Call period, and this document reflects changes made to handle 
the issues raised.

Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce