Subject: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option

From: IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:12:53 -0400

The IESG received a request from the IANA on April 7, 2005
to review a request for a hop-by-hop option number assignment,
under the terms of RFC 2780. The request is appended, for
reference.

The IESG declines Dr. Roberts's request for a hop-by-hop option for
QOS purposes. The proposal includes significant changes to the
Internet architecture including a new TCP congestion control
algorithm, new requirements for IPsec security gateways and new
behavior for routers. Adopting the changes to the Internet
architecture contemplated by this proposal would require review and
consensus within the IETF; it would be inappropriate for another
standards organization to modify IETF protocols as contemplated by
this proposal. Within the NSIS working group, the IETF is already
actively working on solutions to QOS and to other problems identified
in this specification. We believe that these efforts will lead to a
preferable solution to the problems identified in this proposal.
Reviewing this proposal within the IETF as an alternative to the
ongoing work would be a multi-year endeavor. The IESG is pessimistic that
this effort would ever achieve consensus. So, the IESG
declines the assignment request and recommends against pursuing this
proposal within the IETF.

We encourage any interested parties to review the ongoing work within NSIS.

------------------------------------------------
From: "iana" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:06:42 -0700
Subject: FW: General Request for Assignments (Roberts)

IESG:

The IANA has received the following request.
It is possible that what Larry is looking for is a registration in section
5b of the following registry:
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-parameters>

Currently the registration rules for this registry are described in RFC
2780. Is this something we can request get "IESG Approval" via the telechats?

Please advise.

Thank you,

Michelle Cotton
IANA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 9:12 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: General Request for Assignments

Contact Name :
Lawrence Roberts

Contact Email :
[email-masked]

Type of Assignment :
hop-by-hop option number assignment

Registry :
options

Description :
A protocol for QoS signaling has been prliminarly approved by the TIA and
the ITU that does in-band QoS signaling including preemption (for 911 ,
military, etc.). It needs an option assigned of the form 011xxxxx. It must
be a hop-by-hop option to be seen by the routers durring encryption.

Additional Info :
The ITU version has been sent to IESG (Brian Carpenter, An early draft is at
http://www.packet.cc/IPv6Q-IETF-2A.htm

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce