Subject: Document Action: 'SMTP Service Extension for Indicating the Responsible Submitter of an E-mail Message' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:24:58 -0400

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'SMTP Service Extension for Indicating the Responsible Submitter of an E-mail
   Message '
   <draft-katz-submitter-01.txt> as an Experimental RFC
- 'Sender ID: Authenticating E-Mail '
   <draft-lyon-senderid-core-01.txt> as an Experimental RFC
- 'Purported Responsible Address in E-Mail Messages '
   <draft-lyon-senderid-pra-01.txt> as an Experimental RFC

In so doing the IESG wishes to draw the community's attention to the IESG note
to be inserted in each of these documents.  That note says:

"The following documents  (draft-schlitt-spf-classic, draft-katz-submitter, 
draft-lyon-senderid-core, draft-lyon-senderid-pra) are published simultaneously
as Experimental RFCs, although there is no general technical consensus and
efforts to reconcile the two approaches have failed.  As such these documents
have not received full IETF review and are published "AS-IS" to document the
different approaches as they were considered in the MARID working group.

The IESG takes no position about which approach is to be preferred and
cautions the reader that there are serious open issues for each approach
and concerns about using them in tandem. The IESG believes that documenting the
different approaches does less harm than not documenting them.

The community is invited to observe the success or failure of the
two approaches during the two years following publication, in
order that a community consensus can be reached in the future."

The IESG has discussed these documents and circumstances at great
length, and it has heard many cogent objections to these documents
appearing as standards.  Given that implementations of both are present in the
Internet, however, the IESG has decided that their availability as open
specifications is sufficiently valuable to warrant their publication as
Experimental RFCs and with the above note.

The IESG contact person is Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-katz-submitter-01.txt

Technical Summary
 
Please see the IESG note.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This was originally part of the work of MARID, which was unable to come
to consensus on the appropriate set of scopes and facilities for DNS-based
email authentication.  Because of that lack of consensus, this work is
targeted at Experimental, rather than standards track status.  It is hoped
that additional deployment will help demonstrate which among the proposed
scopes and facilities is useful, and that those can later proceed to standards
track status.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie and by the
DEA Directorate for the Applications Area Directors.

RFC Editor Note
 
Please subsitute RFC numbers for the draft document names in the IESG
Note.

IESG Note

"The following documents  (draft-schlitt-spf-classic, draft-katz-submitter, 
draft-lyon-senderid-core, draft-lyon-senderid-pra) are published simultaneously
as Experimental RFCs, although there is no general technical
consensus and efforts to reconcile the two approaches
have failed.  As such these documents have not received full IETF review
and are published "AS-IS" to document the different approaches as
they were considered in the MARID working group.

The IESG takes no position about which approach is to be preferred and
cautions the reader that there are serious open issues for each approach
and concerns about using them in tandem. The IESG
believes that documenting the different approaches does less harm
than not documenting them.

The community is invited to observe the success or failure of the
two approaches during the two years following publication, in
order that a community consensus can be reached in the future."

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce