Subject: Protocol Action: 'Network News Transfer Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:15:14 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Network News Transfer Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-nntpext-base-27.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the NNTP Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Scott Hollenbeck and Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-base-27.txt

Technical Summary

The Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) has been in use in the
Internet for a decade and remains one of the most popular protocols (by
volume) in use today.  This document is a replacement for RFC 977 and
officially updates the protocol specification.  It clarifies some
vagueness in RFC 977, includes some new base functionality, and
provides a specific mechanism to add standardized extensions to NNTP.

Working Group Summary

The NNTPEXT WG achieved consensus on this document.  The working group
revised the document significantly after IESG review took place in April,
2004.  A second IETF last call was requested in May 2005 to review the
working group's revisions.

Protocol Quality

Scott Hollenbeck reviewed this specification for the IESG.

This document was reviewed by Russ Allbery, comparing it against the
existing INN NNTP implementation.  INN intends to make the necessary
changes to fully implement this protocol.  It has also been reviewed by
other NNTP server and client authors in the NNTPEXT WG group and by
participants in the news.software.nntp Usenet newsgroup.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce