Subject: Document Action: 'Requirements for an IETF Draft Submission Toolset' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 09:55:56 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Requirements for an IETF Draft Submission Toolset '
   <draft-ietf-tools-draft-submission-09.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Brian Carpenter.

Technical Summary
 
This document specifies requirements for a toolset to support Internet-Draft
submission, validation and posting.
 
TOOLS Team Summary
 
This is the result of discussion in the TOOLS team and significant public
comment during IETF Last Call. The requirements and their priorities represent
rough consensus among the participants.

Technical Quality
 
Brian Carpenter reviewed the specification. It has not been implemented but
appears to be implementable.

Note to RFC Editor
 
In Section 6.  Overall Toolset operation:

OLD:

   The Toolset sources should be publicly available (R152/b) under a
   license certified by the Open Source Initiative [OSI] (R144/a), with
   an interface to report bugs and request enhancements (R145/b).  These
   requirements are meant to enable the Toolset transfer from one
   management team to another and to allow for public review and
   contribution.  To meaningfully satisfy these availability
   requirements, the Toolset has to implement the required functionality
   without relying on software with different availability conditions.

NEW:

   It must be possible to transfer the Toolset from one management
   team to another, to incorporate work by volunteers, and to allow
   for public review of the developed code. To meet these goals, the Toolset
   source codes should be publicly available (R152/b) and there
   should be an interface to report bugs and request enhancements (R145/b).
   Development should be structured to avoid lock-in to proprietary
   platforms or backends. The tools team believes that developing
   the Toolset sources under one or more open source licenses
   following the Open Source Definition [OSD] would provide an
   effective way of meeting these requirements at reasonable
   cost.  Care should be taken that the licenses selected allow code
   from different implementers to be mixed.

Under Informative References:

OLD:

   [OSI]      "Open Source Licenses Approved by the Open Source
              Initiative", 2004.

NEW:

   [OSD]      "The Open Source Definition, version 1.9", Open
              Source Initiative, 2005, available at
              http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce