Subject: WG Review: Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks (l1vpn)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:33:30 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Routing Area. The IESG has not 
made any determination as yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is 
provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG 
mailing list ([email-masked]) by June 22nd.

+++

Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks (l1vpn)
----------------------------------------

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):
TBD

Routing Area Director(s):
Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
TBD

Secretary(ies):
TBD

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/l1vpn/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The L1VPN Working Group's task is to specify mechanisms necessary for
providing layer-1 VPN services (establishment of layer-1 connections
between CE devices) over a GMPLS-enabled transport service-provider network.

The following two service models will be addressed:

1. Basic mode: the CE-PE interface's functional repertoire is limited to
path setup signalling only. Provider's network is not involved in
distribution of customer network's routing information.

2. Enhanced mode: the CE-PE interface provides the signaling capabilities
as in the Basic mode, plus permits limited exchange of information
between the control planes of the provider and the customer to help such
functions as discovery of reachability information in remote sites,
or parameters of the part of the provider's network dedicated to
the customer.

The WG will work on the following items:

1. Framework document defining the reference network model, L1VPN service
model, fundamental assumptions, and terminology.

2. Specification of the L1VPN signaling functionality between the
customer and the provider network to support the basic mode.

3. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality within
the provider network to support the basic mode.

4. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the basic
mode.

5. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality between
the customer and the provider network to support the extended mode.

6. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality within
the provider network to support the extended mode.

7. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the
extended mode.

8. Applicability guidelines to compare the basic and extended modes.

At this point the WG will address the single-AS scenario only. The
multi-AS/provider scenario may be considered in future.

Protocol extensions required for L1VPN will be done in cooperation with
MPLS, CCAMP, OSPF, IS-IS, IDR, L3VPN, and other WGs where necessary.

L1VPN WG shall also cooperate with ITU-T SG13 through the established IETF
process, and use documents Y.1312 and Y.1313 (describing L1VPN
requirements and network architectures) as input to its design process.
The documents will be available at the IETF liaison web-site.

Milestones:

Sep 05 Submit first Internet Draft of L1VPN framework
Sep 05 Submit first Internet Drafts of basic mode specifications
Dec 05 Submit first Internet Drafts of MIB modules for basic mode
Apr 06 Submit basic mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
Jun 06 Submit first Internet Drafts of enhanced mode specifications
Aug 06 Submit MIB modules for basic mode to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
Dec 06 Submit enhanced mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
Dec 06 Submit L1VPN framework to IESG for publication as Informational RFC
Aug 07 Submit MIB modules for enhanced mode to IESG for publication as Proposed 
        Standard
Dec 07 Recharter or disband

Related Documents:

draft-takeda-l1vpn-framework-03.txt
draft-takeda-l1vpn-applicability-02.txt
draft-ouldbrahim-ppvpn-gvpn-bgpgmpls-06.txt
draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-overlay-05.txt 

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce