Subject: WG Review: Calendaring and Scheduling Standards Simplification (calsify)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:25:34 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area. The IESG has not 
made any determination as yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is 
provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing 
list ([email-masked]) by July 6th.

+++

Calendaring and Scheduling Standards Simplification (calsify)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):
TBD

Applications Area Director(s):
Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Scott Hollenbeck <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify
Archive: http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/

Description of Working Group:

The Calendaring and Scheduling standards, defined in RFC's 2445, 2446, and
2447 were released in November 1998, and further described in RFC 3283.
They were designed to progress the level of interoperability between
dissimilar calendaring and scheduling systems. The Calendaring and
Scheduling Core Object Specification, iCalendar, succeeded in establishing
itself as the common format for exchanging calendaring information across
the Internet. On the other hand, only basic interoperability as been achieved
between different scheduling systems.

The Calsify working group is chartered to:

(1) Publish the interoperability issues that have arisen between
calendaring and scheduling systems, as well as document the usage of
iCalendar by other specifications.

(2) Revise the Calendaring and Scheduling standards to advance the
state of interoperable calendaring and scheduling by addressing
the published interoperability issues. As far as it is possible, the
working group will ensure backwards compatibility with widely deployed
implementations and other specifications that use it.

(3) Clarify the registration process for iCalendar extensions (i.e.,
the current core object specification only provides a template
to register new properties).

(4) Advance the Calendaring and Scheduling standards to Draft Standard.

(5) Work on transition (upgrade or versioning) mechanisms for calendar
data exchange.

Proposing an XML representation or transformation of iCalendar
objects is out of the scope of this working group.

Goals and Milestones:

Jul 05 - Submit draft documenting interoperability issues for use in
progressing RFCs to Draft Standard.
Sep 05 - Submit iCalendar bis draft 00, with formatting changes from RFC2445.
Sep 05 - Submit iTIP bis draft 00
Sep 05 - Submit iMIP bis draft 00
Oct 05 - Submit revised interoperability issues draft version based on WG
discussion.
Dec 05 - WG decision on what document(s) require transition mechanisms and
hopefully rough idea what these will look like (and add new goals if needed)
Mar 06 - WG last call on interoperability issues draft.
May 06 - Submit interoperability issues document to IESG for Informational RFC.
May 06 - Submit version of iCalendar bis draft that addresses known
interoperability issues from interop events.
Jun 06 - Submit versions of iTIP and iMIP that address known
interoprability issues.
Jul 06 - Submit version of iCalendar draft that addresses WG open discussions.
Sep 06 - Submit version of iCalendar draft ready for WG last call.
Nov 06 - Complete WG last call of iCalendar and submit new draft.
Nov 06 - Submit versions of iTIP and iMIP ready for last call.
Jan 07 - Submit iCalendar (bis) to IESG for Draft Standard.
Jan 07 - Complete WG last call of iTIP
Feb 07 - Complete WG last call of iMIP
Mar 07 - Submit iTIP to IESG for Draft Standard.
Apr 07 - Submit iMIP to IESG for Draft Standard. 

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce