Subject: Monthly Report for the IAOC for June, 2005

From: Brian Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:24:15 -0400

Monthly Report for the IAOC for June, 2005.

(posted for Lucy Lynch, IAOC Chair)

The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) was formed 

    to provide appropriate direction to the IAD [IETF Administrative Director],
 
    to review the IAD's regular reports, and to oversee IASA functions to ensure
 
    that the administrative needs of the IETF community are being properly met."

The IAOC is charged by BCP 101 with providing regular reports to the IETF
community; this monthly report is intended to serve as part of this reporting
requirement.

The current membership is (in alphabetical order):

   Brian Carpenter, IETF Chair, ex officio.
   Steve Crocker, appointed by the ISOC Board of Trustees for two years.
   Leslie Daigle, IAB Chair, ex officio.
   Ed Juskevicius, 1 Year NomCom Selection.
   Kurtis Lindqvist, appointed by the IESG for one year.
   Lucy Lynch, appointed by the IAB for two years.
   Lynn St Amour, ISOC President/CEO, ex officio.
   Jonne Soininen, 2 Year NomCom Selection.

In addition, Marshall Eubanks serves as the Secretary and scribe.

The IAOC conducts regular (presently weekly) teleconferences, for which minutes
are currently available at http://koi.uoregon.edu/~iaoc/. This month included a
Face to Face meeting of the entire IAOC, except for the IETF Chair, on June 8th
in Reston, Virginia.

The work conducted by the IAOC during the month of June centered on the
following areas : welcoming and beginning to work with the new IAD,
establishment of a Trust for IETF Intellectual Property Rights (IPR),
establishment of a contract for Secretariat Services, and various housekeeping
details.

In addition, in June the NomCom announced its selections for two new members
for the IAOC, which fills the IAOC as set out in BCP 101.

The New IAD :

In June, the IAOC began work with the new IAD, Ray Pelletier (whose hiring was
effective May 31st). With the assent of the IAOC, the IAD has now assumed
responsibility for routine interactions with NeuStar, and has had meetings with
the IAOC, the IETF Chair, the RFC Editor and others to gain a better
understanding of his new responsibilities.

IPR Trust :

On June 2nd, the IAOC Chair sent the IAOC's suggested revisions to the proposed
Trust document to CNRI. While a formal response has not yet been received from
CNRI, this topic was discussed during phone conversations with Robert Kahn of
CNRI by the IETF and IAOC Chairs (June 3rd) and by the IAD (June 28th).

Contract for Secretariat Services :

At present, there is no outstanding contract for the services provided by the
IETF Secretariat. The IAOC is empowered by the BCP 101 to execute such a
contract and is pursuing this matter vigorously. The IETF Secretariat is hosted
by Foretec Seminars Inc., a subsidiary of the Corporation for National Research
Initiatives (CNRI). Foretec is currently in the process of being sold to
NeuStar, Inc. Assuming that this sale is completed, the IAOC intends to contract
with NeuStar, if mutually acceptable terms can be reached, to provide these
services for a term not to exceed 2 years, with subsequent terms being
contracted under a formal Request for Proposals. 

On June 1st, the IAOC received a revised Services Agreement from NeuStar. This
was discussed at length with Mark Foster (CTO, NeuStar) and Jeff Neuman (Counsel
to NeuStar) as part of the face to Face meeting on June 8th. After discussion, a
new revision of this proposed Service Agreement was sent to NeuStar on June 23rd
by the IAD.

The IAD has initiated regular weekly phone calls with NeuStar personnel to
facilitate the progress of the proposed draft contract.

New Members :

The IAOC welcomed two new members during June, Jonne Soininen and Ed
Juskevicius, after selection by the IETF NomCom and confirmation by the IESG.
These new members complete the IAOC membership authorized by BCP 101. The IAOC
intends to revisit its decision procedures and the selection of the IAOC Chair
once the new members have had the time to become familiar with the existing
structure.

Housekeeping :

The IAOC and the IETF Secretariat have placed a link to the IAOC web page as
part of the "Related Web Pages" line of the IETF main web page.

The IAOC plans to have Office Hours during the Paris IETF and has requested a
room for this from the IETF Secretariat.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce