Subject: RFC 4122 on A Universally Unique IDentifier (UUID) URN Namespace

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:24:46 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4122

        Title:      A Universally Unique IDentifier (UUID) URN
                    Namespace
        Author(s):  P. Leach, M. Mealling, R. Salz
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       July 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 59319
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-mealling-uuid-urn-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4122.txt

This specification defines a Uniform Resource Name namespace for
UUIDs (Universally Unique IDentifier), also known as GUIDs (Globally
Unique IDentifier).  A UUID is 128 bits long, and can guarantee
uniqueness across space and time.  UUIDs were originally
used in the Apollo Network Computing System and later in the Open
Software Foundation's (OSF) Distributed Computing Environment (DCE),
and then in Microsoft Windows platforms.

This specification is derived from the DCE specification with the
kind permission of the OSF (now known as The Open Group).  Information
from earlier versions of the DCE specification have been incorporated
into this document.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce