Subject: RFC 4111 on Security Framework for Provider-Provisioned Virtual Private Networks (PPVPNs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:05:17 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4111

        Title:      Security Framework for
                    Provider-Provisioned Virtual Private Networks
                    (PPVPNs)
        Author(s):  L. Fang, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       July 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      45
        Characters: 106626
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l3vpn-security-framework-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4111.txt

This document addresses security aspects pertaining to
Provider-Provisioned Virtual Private Networks (PPVPNs).  First, it
describes the security threats in the context of
PPVPNs and defensive techniques to combat those
threats.  It considers security issues deriving both from malicious
behavior of anyone and from negligent or incorrect behavior of the
providers.  It also describes how these security attacks should be
detected and reported.  It then discusses possible user requirements
for security of a PPVPN service.  These user requirements translate
into corresponding provider requirements.  In addition, the provider
may have additional requirements to make its network infrastructure
secure to a level that can meet the PPVPN customer's expectations.
Finally, this document defines a template that may be used to describe
and analyze the security characteristics of a specific PPVPN
technology.

This document is a product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce