Subject: Document Action: 'Selectively Reliable Multicast Protocol (SRMP)' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:14:55 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Selectively Reliable Multicast Protocol (SRMP) '
   <draft-pullen-srmp-06.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Allison Mankin.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pullen-srmp-06.txt

Technical Summary

   The Selectively Reliable Multicast Protocol (SRMP) is a congestion-
   aware transport protocol over UDP, intended to deliver a mix
   of reliable and best-effort messages in an any-to-any 
   multicast environment, where the best-
   effort traffic occurs in significantly greater volume than the 
   reliable traffic and therefore can be used to carry sequence 
   numbers of reliable messages for loss detection. SRMP is intended 
   for use in a distributed simulation application environment, where 
   only the latest value of reliable transmission for any particular 
   data identifier requires delivery.  

   Like all multicast transport protocols with reliability, the IETF
   publishes SRMP as an Experimental specification first, in order
   to assess the impact of the RFC, and determine after a year or
   two whether the congestion avoidance and control are effective,
   prior to considering standardization.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This protocol was developed by individual contributors to IETF, 
but it received some discussion and review by the Reliable Multicast
Working Group, which determined that its any-to-any multicast
basis was outside the RMT charter, but that the basic approach
was simple and did not raise objections.

The sponsoring AD reviewed comparable work from ISO JTC-1 SC-6
and believes this work is well-distinguished because of its mixed reliability
service offering.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 The protocol has been implemented and tested by several
 groups, and there is a publicly available simulation for it as well.
 A careful review against the RFC 2357 requirements was performed
 by the sponsoring Area Director, Allison Mankin.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce