Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for AC-3 Audio' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:39:55 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RTP Payload Format for AC-3 Audio '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-ac3-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-ac3-07.txt

Technical Summary:

This specification defines an RTP payload format for the AC-3 (Dolby 
Digital) multi-channel audio codec. The format supports aggregation
and fragmentation. The design is simple and uses proved concepts 
that are known to work well.

Working Group Summary:

There is strong consensus in the working group that this is an
appropriate solution.  

AC3 is coming out in a new specification (Revision B) in 2005, but this
revision does not affect format carried by the RTP payload;
the allowed media format which the working group reviewed in the
easily available document is identical to the format in the specification
about to appear.  Revision B is referenced in the document to ensure its
best future relevance.

Protocol Quality:

The format's simplicity and usage of proven and well known design
concepts ensures well-working functionality and implementation. The
document has been well reviewed within the WG.

The Responsible AD is Allison Mankin and the WG Chair shepherd 
is Magnus Westerlund.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce