Subject: Protocol Action: 'Domain Name System Uniform Resource Identifiers' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:46:48 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Domain Name System Uniform Resource Identifiers '
   <draft-josefsson-dns-url-13.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-josefsson-dns-url-13.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document describes a URI scheme that allows an application to reference
data stored in the DNS.    It notes use cases for which this is needed.  It
also contrasts this with other possible DNS-related URI schemes, in particular
one which mapped to the DNS protocol actions used to send queries with
specific flags.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This work is the product of an individual submitter.  There was signficant
discussion of this scheme in its early review; in particular, the lack
of an ability to specify protocol flags was deemed to be a serious
deficit.  Efforts to produce a single scheme which served that purpose
as well as the purposes inherent in these use cases did not succeed.
The result was a proposal to limit this scheme's applicability
explicitly and to allow for, or even invite, the creation of a scheme
specific to the protocol processing.  

The one aspect of "protocol processing" left in this scheme is a specific
designation of authority (that is, target server), which is required both
for diagnostics and in cases of split DNS.

Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce