Subject: Protocol Action: 'MIME Type Registrations for 3GPP2 Multimedia files' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 03:00:12 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'MIME Type Registrations for 3GPP2 Multimedia files '
   <draft-garudadri-avt-3gpp2-mime-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Allison Mankin.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garudadri-avt-3gpp2-mime-02.txt

Technical Summary
 
    The third-generation partnership project 2 (3GPP2) has
    defined a standard file container format to contain audio and video
    format sequences which may be downloaded to cellular
    phones.  At the time of writing, the 3GPP2 file format (3G2)
    can contain H.263, H.264 or MPEG-4 video; and 13K Vocoder, EVRC or
    AMR Narrow-band speech, or AAC audio; and 3GPP timed text.
    This specification registers two mime types for identification
    when the files are served over HTTP, included in multipart
    documents and in other applications.  These types are 
    audio/3gpp2 and video/3gpp2.

    An optional 'codecs' parameter is provided for a hint as to the
    media type within the container.  Security risks of an extensible
    container format are discussed, exactly parallel with RFC 3839.
     
Working Group Summary
 
    The document is not a working group document, however it was
     discussed and reviewed in detail by the Audio Video Transport
     Working Group because of their expertise in media types associated
     with media file formats.  A media review was solicited on the ietf-types
     list and did not raise any comments.  There were no issues raised
     during IETF Last Call.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   There is implementation of these media types.  The 'codecs' parameter
    resulted from experience that an optimization was needed, and is
    specified in a proposed standard that was recently approved.  
   Allison Mankin is the sponsoring Area Director, Colin Perkins and
   Magnus Westerlund gave significant reviews and support for the draft.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce