Subject: RFC 4146 on Simple New Mail Notification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:16:03 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4146

        Title:      Simple New Mail Notification
        Author(s):  R. Gellens
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       August 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 8561
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-gellens-notify-mail-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4146.txt

This memo documents a long-standing technique, supported by a large
number of mail servers, which allows users to be notified of new
mail.  In addition to server support, there are a number of clients
that support this, ranging from full email clients to specialized
clients whose only purpose is to receive new mail notifications and
alert a mail client.

In brief, the server sends the string "nm_notifyuser" CRLF to the
finger port on the IP address (either configured or last used) of the
user who has received new mail. 

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce