Subject: RFC 4108 on Using Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) to Protect Firmware Packages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:25:05 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4108

        Title:      Using Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
                    to Protect Firmware Packages
        Author(s):  R. Housley
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       August 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      61
        Characters: 142060
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-housley-cms-fw-wrap-11.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4108.txt

This document describes the use of the Cryptographic Message Syntax
(CMS) to protect firmware packages, which provide object code for one
or more hardware module components.  CMS is specified in RFC 3852.  A
digital signature is used to protect the firmware package from
undetected modification and to provide data origin authentication.
Encryption is optionally used to protect the firmware package from
disclosure, and compression is optionally used to reduce the size of
the protected firmware package.  A firmware package loading receipt
can optionally be generated to acknowledge the successful loading of a
firmware package.  Similarly, a firmware package load error report can
optionally be generated to convey the failure to load a firmware
package.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the
Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the "Internet
Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce