Subject: RFC 4138 on Forward RTO-Recovery (F-RTO): An Algorithm for Detecting Spurious Retransmission Timeouts with TCP and the Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:57:22 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4138

        Title:      Forward RTO-Recovery (F-RTO): An Algorithm for
                    Detecting Spurious Retransmission Timeouts with
                    TCP and the Stream Control Transmission Protocol
                    (SCTP)
        Author(s):  P. Sarolahti, M. Kojo
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       August 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 55538
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-frto-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4138.txt

Spurious retransmission timeouts cause suboptimal TCP performance
because they often result in unnecessary retransmission of the last
window of data.  This document describes the F-RTO detection algorithm
for detecting spurious TCP retransmission timeouts.  F-RTO is a TCP
sender-only algorithm that does not require any TCP options to
operate.  After retransmitting the first unacknowledged segment
triggered by a timeout, the F-RTO algorithm of the TCP sender monitors
the incoming acknowledgments to determine whether the timeout was
spurious.  It then decides whether to send new segments or retransmit
unacknowledged segments.  The algorithm effectively helps to avoid
additional unnecessary retransmissions and thereby improves TCP
performance in the case of a spurious timeout.  The F-RTO algorithm
can also be applied to the Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP).

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce