Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Method for Generating Link Scoped IPv6 Multicast Addresses' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 04:15:39 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Method for Generating Link Scoped IPv6 Multicast Addresses '
   <draft-ietf-ipv6-link-scoped-mcast-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-link-scoped-mcast-09.txt

Technical Summary

     This document specifies an extension to the multicast addressing
     architecture of the IPv6 protocol. The extension allows for the use
     of Interface Identifiers (IIDs) to allocate multicast addresses.
     When a link-local unicast address is configured at each interface
     of a node, an IID is uniquely determined.  After that, each node
     can generate their unique multicast addresses automatically without
     conflicts.  Basically, this document proposes an alternative method
     for creating link-local multicast addresses over a known method
     like unicast-prefix-based IPv6 multicast addresses. It is preferred
     to use this method for link-local scope rather than unicast-
     prefix-based IPv6 multicast addresses.  This memo update RFC3306.

Working Group Summary
 
     This document was produced by the IPv6 WG.
 
Protocol Quality

     This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce