Subject: RFC 4137 on State Machines for Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Peer and Authenticator

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:29:29 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4137

        Title:      State Machines for Extensible Authentication
                    Protocol (EAP) Peer and Authenticator
        Author(s):  J. Vollbrecht, P. Eronen, N. Petroni, Y. Ohba
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       August 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      51
        Characters: 105781
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-eap-statemachine-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4137.txt

This document describes a set of state machines for Extensible
Authentication Protocol (EAP) peer, EAP stand-alone authenticator
(non-pass-through), EAP backend authenticator (for use on
Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) servers), and EAP
full authenticator (for both local and pass-through).  This set of
state machines shows how EAP can be implemented to support deployment
in either a peer/authenticator or peer/authenticator/AAA Server
environment.  The peer and stand-alone authenticator machines are
illustrative of how the EAP protocol defined in RFC 3748 may be
implemented.  The backend and full/pass-through authenticators
illustrate how EAP/AAA protocol support defined in RFC 3579 may be
implemented.  Where there are differences, RFC 3748 and RFC 3579 are
authoritative. 

The state machines are based on the EAP "Switch" model.  This model
includes events and actions for the interaction between the EAP Switch
and EAP methods.  A brief description of the EAP "Switch" model is
given in the Introduction section. 

The state machine and associated model are informative only.
Implementations may achieve the same results using different methods. 

This document is a product of the Extensible Authentication Protocol
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce