Subject: RFC 4185 on National and Local Characters for DNS Top Level Domain (TLD) Names

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:15:47 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4185

        Title:      National and Local Characters for DNS Top Level
                    Domain (TLD) Names
        Author(s):  J. Klensin
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       October 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 50926
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-klensin-idn-tld-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4185.txt

In the context of work on internationalizing the Domain Name System
(DNS), there have been extensive discussions about "multilingual" or
"internationalized" top level domain names (TLDs), especially for
countries whose predominant language is not written in a Roman-based
script.  This document reviews some of the motivations for such
domains, several suggestions that have been made to provide needed
functionality, and the constraints that the DNS imposes.  It then
suggests an alternative, local translation, that may solve a superset
of the problem while avoiding protocol changes, serious deployment
delays, and other difficulties.  The suggestion utilizes a
localization technique in applications to permit any TLD to be
accessed using the vocabulary and characters of any language.  It is
not restricted to language- or country-specific "multilingual" TLDs
in the language(s) and script(s) of that country.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce