Subject: RFC 4217 on Securing FTP with TLS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:57:58 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4217

        Title:      Securing FTP with TLS
        Author(s):  P. Ford-Hutchinson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 61180
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-murray-auth-ftp-ssl-16.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4217.txt

This document describes a mechanism that can be used by FTP clients
and servers to implement security and authentication using the TLS
protocol defined by RFC 2246, "The TLS Protocol Version 1.0.", and the
extensions to the FTP protocol defined by RFC 2228, "FTP Security
Extensions".  It describes the subset of the extensions that are
required and the parameters to be used, discusses some of the policy
issues that clients and servers will need to take, considers some of
the implications of those policies, and discusses some expected
behaviours of implementations to allow interoperation.  This document
is intended to provide TLS support for FTP in a similar way to that
provided for SMTP in RFC 2487, "SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP
over Transport Layer Security", and HTTP in RFC 2817, "Upgrading to
TLS Within HTTP/1.1.".

This specification is in accordance with RFC 959, "File Transfer
Protocol".  It relies on RFC 2246, "The TLS Protocol Version 1.0.",
and RFC 2228, "FTP Security Extensions".

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce