Subject: IETF Last Call under RFC 3683 concerning Dean Anderson

From: David Kessens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:22:10 -0400

The IESG received a request from Dave Crocker to take action under RFC
3683 against Dean Anderson. Mr Crocker alleged disruption of the IETF
and DNSEXT lists and provided sample emails [4]. In addition, Dean
Anderson was recently warned by David Kessens [2], Operations &
Management Area Director, that a recent posting on the DNSOP working
group mail list was not acceptable after which he responded to the
DNSOP list by sending a brief message but with a similar accusation as
the one he was warned not to repeat.

While these messages alone might not suffice to justify action, Mr
Anderson has repeatedly posted, before and since, on these and other
IETF lists, messages that refer offensively to individuals or
organizations [1]. For a small sample of such messages, we refer to
the urls provided at the bottom of this Last Call message.

Many of them are off topic for the IETF, since the IETF can only
produce general technical recommendations for operators; it may not
criticise individual operators or tell them how to conduct their
business. We wish to make it clear that quarrels and disagreements
between software suppliers, operators and the like have no place in
the IETF and must be discussed and settled elsewhere.

Although sometimes Mr Anderson's messages address technical topics,
this is not enough to excuse the frequent offensiveness. He has been
warned to desist from offensive postings multiple times and has often
ignored such warnings [2,3].

The IESG therefore proposes to ban Dean Anderson from posting to the
main IETF list and to authorize all WG chairs to ban him from posting
to their working group lists. This message calls for comments on this
proposed action from the IETF, which should be sent to [email-masked]
(or [email-masked]) by 06 November 2005.

For the IESG,

David Kessens
Operations & Management Area Director
---

Please see below for a sample of abusive behavior on maillists:

[1] Personal attack on Bill Strahm and alleges that Rob Austein
defames av8 Internet:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37889.html

IETF management is accused of harassment and it is stated that
Stephen Sprunk is untrustworthy (end of message). In addition, the
message implies that David Kessens is the responsible Area
Director for dnsext, while this working group is part of the INT area:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37931.html

Dean uses a very unpleasant tone to make it clear to David Kessens
that he doesn't agree with him and adds another attack by twisting
Steven Bellovin's own words and smearing Steven Bellovin's
reputation:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37873.html

(Dean apperently referred to:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37557.html)

Please see below for a sample of messages that ignore requests to Dean
Anderson to stop his disruptive behavior:

[2] Example of an attack on a well known organization on the dnsop list:

Dean Anderson attacks a well known root name server operator and
talks about uncontrolled corruption in the IETF:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/msg03551.html

Message by David Kessens to Dean Anderson that warns him not to
bring up any issues he apparently has with a well known root name
server operator:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/msg03552.html

Dean's response in which he reaffirms his accusations towards the
well known root name server operator:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/msg03553.html

[3] Dean alleges that some IETF participants are liars
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg36027.html

Brian Carpenter warns not to continue allegations about liars
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg36034.html

Dean continues discussion on the list
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg36087.html

[4] Materials provided by Dave Crocker to support his request (IETF and
dnsext list):

Dean continues to discuss topic that was declared off-topic by
working group chair:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37550.html

Dave's response on part of Dean's mail:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37554.html

Two messages by other participants who continue to discuss Dean's
point:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37555.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37557.html

Personal attack on Dave Crocker (and attack on Paul Vixie) by
Dean. In addition his message does not substantiate his earlier
claims about IPR:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37560.html

Dean launches a personal attack on Steven Bellovin:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg37561.html

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce