Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:45:07 -0400

A modified charter has been submitted for the Mobility for IPv4 (mip4) 
working group in the Internet Area of the IETF. The IESG has not made any
determination as yet. The modified charter is provided below for informational
purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list 
([email-masked]) by October 26th.

+++

Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)
------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Pete McCann <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>

Mailing list: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked] ;
In Body or Subject: subscribe

Archive: https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/mip4/current/

DESCRIPTION:

IP mobility support for IPv4 nodes (hosts and routers) is specified in
RFC3344. RFC 3344 mobility allows a node to continue using its
"permanent" home address as it moves around the internet. The Mobile IP
protocols support transparency above the IP layer, including maintenance
of active TCP connections and UDP port bindings. Besides the basic
Mobile IPv4 (MIPv4) protocols, several other drafts deal with concerns
such as optimization, security, extensions, AAA support, and deployment
issues.

Mobile IPv4 is currently being deployed on a wide basis (e.g., in
cdma2000 networks). The scope of the deployment is on a fairly large
scale and accordingly, the MIP4 WG will focus on deployment issues and
on addressing known deficiencies and shortcomings in the protocol that
have come up as a result of deployment experience. Specifically, the
working group will complete the work items to facilitate interactions
with AAA environments, interactions with enterprise environments when
Mobile IPv4 is used therein, and updating existing protocol
specifications in accordance with deployment needs and advancing those
protocols that are on the standards track.

Work expected to be done by the MIP4 WG as proposed by this charter is
as follows:

1. MIPv4 has been a proposed standard for several years. It has been
adopted by other standard development organizations and has been
deployed commercially. One of the next steps for the WG is to advance
the protocol to draft standard status. As part of advancing base
Mobile IP specs to DS, the Mobile IPv4 NAI RFC (2794) will be revised
to reflect implementation experience.

2. Work items that are pending from the previous Mobile IP WG, which
will be completed by the MIP4 WG, are:

- completion of the MIB for the revised base Mobile IP
specification (2006bis)

- regional registration draft.

3. The MIP4 WG will also complete the work on Mobile IPv4 interactions
in VPN scenarios. This work will involve identifying the requirements
and a solution development for Mobile IPv4 operation in the presence
of IPsec VPNs.

4. Additionally, a proposal has been made for how MOBIKE could work
together with MIPv4. This proposal does not describe any new protocol,
but formulates a best current practice for deploying MOBIKE together
with MIPv4. The working group will adopt and complete this document.

5. Some issues have been raised with respect to RFC3519. These will be
identified and addressed as appropriate, through errata, revision
of RFC 3519, and/or supplemental documents as needed.

6. It has been proposed that the FMIP protocol, which has been
standardised for MIPv6 in the MIPSHOP working group, should also be
published as an experimental protocol for MIPv4. A draft for this
exists. The working group will take up and carry this work forward
to publication

7. An extension to carry generic strings in the Registration Reply
message has been proposed. The purpose is to supply supplemental
human-readable information intended to the MN user. The working
group will complete the specification and applicability statement of
such an extension.

8. RADIUS attributes for Mobile IP v4. A set of RADIUS attributes has
been proposed for MIPv4. The working group will complete the
specification of what is needed by MIPv4 in this respect, solicit
feedback from the Radius Extensions WG, adjust, and submit this for
publication. The set of attributes should as much as feasible match
what is specified in the Diameter Mobile IPv4 Application document.

9. MIPv4 Extension for Configuration Options. Several drafts have
proposed extensions to help improve configuration of MIPv4 clients.
The latest proposal is for a general configuration option extension,
which could carry information such as e.g., DNS address and DHCP
server address. The working group will take on and complete one
proposal for a configuration option extension.

Goals and Milestones:

====== =============================================================
When What
====== =============================================================
Done AAA Keys for MIPv4 to IESG
Done MIPv4 VPN interaction problem statement to IESG
Done Low latency handover to experimental
Done Experimental MIPv4 message and extensions draft to IESG
Done Dynamic Home Agent assignment protocol solution to IESG
Done? Regional registration document to IESG
Aug 05 Revised MIPv4 Challenge/Response (3012bis) to IESG
Dec 05 Revised MIB for MIPv4 to IESG
Sep 05 Revised MIPv4 specification to IESG for Draft Standard
Dec 05 Revised rfc2794bis (NAI extension specification) to the IESG
Jan 06 MIPv4 Mobike interaction BCP to the IESG
Feb 06 Generic Strings for MIPv4 to the IESG
Mar 06 RADIUS Extensions for MIPv4 to the RADEXT WG for comment
Mar 06 FMIPv4 to the IESG
Jun 06 RADIUS Extensions for MIPv4 to the IESG
Aug 06 MIPv4 Extension for Configuration Options to the IESG 

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce