Subject: RFC 4234 on Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications: ABNF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 13:40:52 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4234

        Title:      Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications: ABNF
        Author(s):  D. Crocker, Ed., P. Overell
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 26351
        Obsoletes:  2234

        I-D Tag:    draft-crocker-abnf-rfc2234bis-00.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4234.txt

Internet technical specifications often need to define a formal
syntax.  Over the years, a modified version of Backus-Naur Form (BNF),
called Augmented BNF (ABNF), has been popular among many Internet
specifications.  The current specification documents ABNF.  It
balances compactness and simplicity, with reasonable representational
power.  The differences between standard BNF and ABNF involve naming
rules, repetition, alternatives, order-independence, and value
ranges.  This specification also supplies additional rule definitions
and encoding for a core lexical analyzer of the type common to
several Internet specifications.

This is now a Draft Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce