Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Framework for Application Interaction in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:28:39 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Framework for Application Interaction in the Session Initiation Protocol 
   (SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-app-interaction-framework-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation 
Working Group. 

The IESG modified the intended status of this document from BCP
to PS, as RFC 2026 Section 6.1.2 permits, due to degree to which it 
presents an interoperable protocol specification, rather than material
closer to the definition of a BCP.

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-app-interaction-framework
-05.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This document describes a framework for the interaction between users
   and Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) based applications.  By
   interacting with applications, users can guide the way in which they
   operate.  The focus of this framework is stimulus signaling, which
   allows a user agent to interact with an application without knowledge
   of the semantics of that application.  Stimulus signaling can occur
   to a user interface running locally with the client, or to a remote
   user interface, through media streams.  Stimulus signaling
   encompasses a wide range of mechanisms, ranging from clicking on
   hyperlinks, to pressing buttons, to traditional Dual Tone Multi
   Frequency (DTMF) input.  In all cases, stimulus signaling is
   supported through the use of markup languages, which play a key role
   in this framework.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 The working group was confident about this draft's overall
 framework.  It spent a long time reviewing and getting all
 the details correct.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 Allison Mankin is the Responsible Area Director.  The wg
 chair shepherd for the document is Rohan Mahy.

Notes to RFC Editor

Insert after the Abstract an un-numbered section

 Conventions Used In This Document

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in RFC2119 [1].

Insert a normative reference [1] to RFC 2119, and (sorry) move all the
other normative references down.  We need to place the message against
numeric citations more prominently.  This AD and this AD's WG Chairs
do not remember it.

OLD:
[7]   Burger, E., "A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Event Package
         for Key Press Stimulus  (KPML)", draft-ietf-sipping-kpml-07
         (work in progress), December 2004.
NEW:
[7]   Burger, E., M. Dolly, "A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Event Package
         for Key Press Stimulus  (KPML)", draft-ietf-sipping-kpml-07
         (work in progress), December 2004.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce