Subject: Protocol Action: 'RObust Header Compression (ROHC): A Link-Layer Assisted Profile for IP/UDP/RTP' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:40:33 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RObust Header Compression (ROHC): A Link-Layer Assisted Profile for 
   IP/UDP/RTP '
   <draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3242bis-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Robust Header Compression Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3242bis-01.txt

Technical Summary

       This document replaces RFC3242, which defines a ROHC profile for
       compression of IP/UDP/RTP packets that leverages functionality
       provided by the lower layers by completely eliminating the
       header for most packets during optimal operation.

       The original version of RFC 3242 contained a critical error that
       renders correct implementation of the full specification
       impossible as information about the payload length is missing
       from the CSP packet, as was uncovered during implementation of
       this packet type (which is only needed in certain
       circumstances).  The updated version contains the minimum change
       fix that was agreed.  The opportunity of a new version was also
       used to apply a clarification to an overly broad reference to
       RFC3095 (section 4.1.3 of RFC 3242).

Working Group Summary

       There was working group consensus that this small update was
       required and that the minimum change solution proposed was
       effective and correct.  The Working Group polled for implementation
       impact of the bis and understood that there was only benefit to
       the fix of the specification.

Protocol Quality

       Allison Mankin reviewed the document for the IESG.  Carsten
       Bormann was the WG Chair shepherd.

Note to RFC Editor
 
When RFC 2119 appears in the text add [2119] after it.  To
Section 9.1, the Normative References, add [2119], a reference
to RFC 2119.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce