Subject: RFC 4247 on Requirements for Header Compression over MPLS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:51:01 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4247

        Title:      Requirements for Header Compression over MPLS
        Author(s):  J. Ash, B. Goode, J. Hand, R. Zhang
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       November 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 25127
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4247.txt

Voice over IP (VoIP) typically uses the encapsulation
voice/RTP/UDP/IP.  When MPLS labels are added, this becomes
voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels.  For an MPLS VPN, the packet header is
typically 48 bytes, while the voice payload is often no more than 30
bytes, for example.  Header compression can significantly reduce the
overhead through various compression mechanisms, such as enhanced
compressed RTP (ECRTP) and robust header compression (ROHC).  We
consider using MPLS to route compressed packets over an MPLS Label
Switched Path (LSP) without compression/decompression cycles at
each router.  This approach can increase the bandwidth efficiency as
well as processing scalability of the maximum number of simultaneous
flows that use header compression at each router.  In this document,
we give a problem statement, goals and requirements, and an example 
scenario.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce