Subject: Update: IETF Trust Consensus Call

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:04:41 -0500

[Forwarding, on behalf of Lucy.  -- LLD]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Update: IETF Trust Consensus Call
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:25:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Lucy E. Lynch <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Greetings -

In response to concerns raised about the licensing provisions
described in section 9.5 of the IETF Trust the Settlors have agreed to
modify the language as follows:

"9.5 Licenses.

The Trust (acting through the Trustees) shall have the right to grant
licenses for the use of the Trust Assets on such terms, subject to
Section 7.1, as the Trustees deem appropriate; provided, however, that
the Trust shall not grant any license that would be deemed a transfer
of ownership or abandonment of any Trust Assets under applicable law.
Specifically, any license granted by the Trust for the use of the
Trust Assets consisting of IPR other than rights in IETF
standards-related documents (such as RFCs, Internet Drafts and the
like) that have been acquired by the Trust through non-exclusive
licenses granted by their contributors pursuant to the IETF
community-approved procedures currently set forth in RFC 3978, and any
community-approved updates and revisions thereto, shall include
provisions stating that (a) the licensee agrees to grant and assign to
the Trust all right, title, and interest it may have or claim in any
derivative works of licensee that are based on or incorporate the IPR,
and (b) the licensee's use of the IPR and any goodwill associated
therewith shall inure to the benefit of the Trust."

Including the reference to RFC 3978 and future community updates with
regard to standards related documents should make clear our intentions
and provides the cleanest way to ensure that the communities concerned
our addressed directly by the founding document.

The IAOC thanks the Settlors for moving quickly to adopt this
language.

Please send questions or comments to: [email-masked] or [email-masked]

Lucy E. Lynch 				Academic User Services
Computing Center			University of Oregon
llynch  @darkwing.uoregon.edu		(541) 346-1774

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce