Subject: Correction: RFC 4169 Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Digest Authentication Using Authentication and Key Agreement (AKA) Version-2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:53:22 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4169

        Title:      Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Digest
                    Authentication Using Authentication and Key
                    Agreement (AKA) Version-2
        Author(s):  V. Torvinen, J. Arkko, M. Naslund
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       November 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 26429
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-torvinen-http-digest-aka-v2-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4169.txt

HTTP Digest, as specified in RFC 2617, is known to be vulnerable to
man-in-the-middle attacks if the client fails to authenticate the
server in TLS, or if the same passwords are used for authentication
in some other context without TLS.  This is a general problem that
exists not just with HTTP Digest, but also with other IETF protocols
that use tunneled authentication.  This document specifies version 2
of the HTTP Digest AKA algorithm (RFC 3310).  This algorithm can be
implemented in a way that it is resistant to the man-in-the-middle
attack.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce