Subject: IAOC Chair request for Consensus Call

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:31:50 -0500

Forwarded on behalf of Lucy Lynch.  

Leslie.

-------- Original Message --------

Call for Consensus:

The IAOC has negotiated in good faith with CNRI and ISOC on the terms for
the formation of an IETF Trust. We have come to mutual agreement and
believe that the document published to the IAOC web site and announced to
the community mailing lists on October 26, 2005 will enable the IASA to
best fulfill its duties in managing the IPR and associated items needed to
allow the IETF to carry out its work. The IETF Trust will allow the IASA
to engage in contracts that require the use of IETF assets and to license
those assets as needed.

see: http://koi.uoregon.edu/~iaoc/

As IAOC Chair, I would like to issue a Consensus Call asking for community
affirmation of the IETF Trust document. I would appreciate an up or down
response and I am requesting a closing date of November 25th for the
Consensus Call.

Additional Information:

We (IAOC) have reached substantial agreement with both CNRI and ISOC on
the founding document for an IETF Trust. The IETF Trust is a private legal
construct (in this case established under the laws of Virginia, USA)
allowing assets (in this case, intellectual property rights and other
property) to be held and administered for the benefit of the IETF and
hence the Internet standards process.

The IETF Trust, a model License Agreement and an FAQ are available on the
IAOC website. The FAQ is a living document and will be updated as
additional questions come in.

Upon signing, procedures which will bind the Trustees to the same
conditions for Review and Appeal as those applied to the IAOC in BCP 101
(sec. 3.5) will be enacted.

Structure of the IETF Trust

Both CNRI and ISOC will put any currently held IETF related IPR into the
IETF Trust at initial signing.

The IASA will license IPR as needed to various service contractors in the
future. Any IPR created by those contractors as part of the terms of such
a contract (software, data, etc.) will then be assigned back to the IETF
Trust.

It is not the intention of the Settlors to modify the IETF
community-approved policies and procedures regarding intellectual property
rights in IETF standards documents and other contributions to the
standards process.

The IETF Trust may accept additional donations if the Trustees determine
that it is in the interests of the IETF and in line with BCP 101

Send your questions or comments:

[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], or [email-masked]

and see: http://koi.uoregon.edu/~iaoc/

Thanks -

Lucy E. Lynch 				Academic User Services
Computing Center			University of Oregon
llynch  @darkwing.uoregon.edu		(541) 346-1774

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce