Subject: RFC 4290 on Suggested Practices for Registration of Internationalized Domain Names (IDN)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:43:19 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4290

        Title:      Suggested Practices for Registration of
                    Internationalized Domain Names (IDN)
        Author(s):  J. Klensin
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       December 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 71115
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-klensin-reg-guidelines-08.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4290.txt

This document explores the issues in the registration of
internationalized domain names (IDNs).  The basic IDN definition
allows a very large number of possible characters in domain names, and
this richness may lead to serious user confusion about similar-looking
names.  To avoid this confusion, the IDN registration process must
impose rules that disallow some otherwise-valid name combinations.
This document suggests a set of mechanisms that registries might use
to define and implement such rules for a broad range of languages, 
including adaptation of methods developed for Chinese, Japanese, and
Korean domain names.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce