Subject: Document Action: 'Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) Redirect Reference Resources' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:51:59 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) Redirect Reference 
   Resources '
   <draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol-13.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the WWW Distributed Authoring and Versioning 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Scott Hollenbeck.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol-13.tx
t

Technical Summary
 
This specification defines an extension to Web Distributed Authoring and
Versioning (WebDAV) to allow clients to author HTTP redirect reference
resources whose default response is an HTTP/1.1 3xx (Redirection) status
code. A redirect reference makes it possible to access the target resource
indirectly through any URI mapped to the redirect reference resource. This
specification does not address remapping of trees of resources or regular
expression based redirections. Other mechanisms can also be used to achieve
the same  functionality as this specification. This specification allows
operators to experiment with this mechanism and develop experience on what
is the best approaches to the problem.

Working Group Summary
 
The WebDav Working Group came to consensus on this document as a
candidate for Experimental RFC.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This specification is Experimental so that we can develop experience on the
quality of this protocol.  At least one implmentation is expected.  The
documentwas reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.  The PROTO shepherd is Cullen
Jennings.

 (Who has reviewed the spec for the IESG? Are there implementations?)

Note to RFC Editor

OLD:
 
Abstract:

  This specification defines redirect reference resources.  A redirect
   reference resource is a resource whose default response is an
   HTTP/1.1 3xx (Redirection) status code (see RFC2616, Section 10.3),
   redirecting the client to a different resource, the target resource.
   A redirect reference makes it possible to access the target resource
   indirectly, through any URI mapped to the redirect reference
   resource.  There are no integrity guarantees associated with redirect
   reference resources.

NEW:

This specification defines an extension to Web Distributed Authoring and
Versioning (WebDAV) to allow clients to author HTTP redirect reference
resources whose default response is an HTTP/1.1 3xx (Redirection) status
code. A redirect reference makes it possible to access the target resource
indirectly through any URI mapped to the redirect reference resource. This
specification does not address remapping of trees of resources or regular
expression based redirections.  There are no integrity guarantees associated 
with redirect reference resources.  Other mechanisms can also be used to
achievethe same  functionality as this specification. This specification allows
operators to experiment with this mechanism and develop experience on what
is the best approaches to the problem.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce