Subject: RFC 4270 on Attacks on Cryptographic Hashes in Internet Protocols

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 18:18:14 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4270

        Title:      Attacks on Cryptographic Hashes in Internet
                    Protocols
        Author(s):  P. Hoffman, B. Schneier
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       November 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 26641
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-hoffman-hash-attacks-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4270.txt

Recent announcements of \%better-than-expected collision attacks in
popular hash algorithms have caused some people to question whether
common Internet protocols need to be changed, and if so, how.  This
document summarizes the use of hashes in many protocols, discusses
how the collision attacks affect and do not affect the protocols,
shows how to thwart known attacks on digital certificates, and
discusses future directions for protocol designers.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce