Subject: UPDATED: WG Action: RECHARTER: Extended Incident Handling (inch)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:10:17 -0500

The charter of the Extended Incident Handling (inch) working group in the
Security Area of the IETF has been updated. For additional information, please
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

Extended Incident Handling (inch)
==================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Roman Danyliw <[email-masked]>

Security Area Director(s):
Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:
Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe inch 
Archive: http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/inch.html

Description of Working Group:
Background
==========

Computer security incidents occur across administrative domains often
spanning different organizations and national borders. Therefore, the
exchange of incident information and statistics among involved parties 
and associated Computer Security Incident Response Teams (CSIRTs) is 
crucial for both reactionary analysis of current intruder activity and 
proactive identification of trends that can lead to incident 
prevention.

Scope
=====

The purpose of the Incident Handling (INCH) working group is to define 
a data format for exchanging security incident information used by a 
CSIRT. A CSIRT is defined broadly as an entity (either a team or 
individual) with a security role or responsibility for a given 
constituency (e.g., organization, network).

The use case for the INCH WG output is to standardize the information 
model and messaging format currently used in communication between a 
CSIRT and the:

* constituency (e.g., users, customers) from which it receives reports 
of misuse;

* other parties involved in an incident (e.g., technical contact at an
attacking site, other CSIRTs); and

* analysis centers performing trending across broad data-sets.

These INCH developed formats will replace the now largely human-
intensive communication processes common in incident handling. The 
working group will address the issues related to representing and 
transporting:

* the source(s) and target(s) of system misuse, as well as the 
analysis of their behavior;

* the evidence to support this analysis;

* status of an incident investigation and analysis process; and

* meta-information relevant to sharing sensitive information across
administrative domains (e.g., internationalization, authorization, 
privacy).

Constraints
===========

The WG will not attempt to define

- - an incident taxonomy;
- - an archive format for incident information;
- - a format for workflow process internal to a CSIRT; or
- - a format for computer security related information for which there 
is already a working standard.

Output of Working Group
=======================

1. A set of high-level requirements for a data format to represent
information commonly exchanged by CSIRTs.

2. A specification of an extensible, incident data description language
that describes a format that satisfies these requirements (Output #1).

3. A set of sample incident reports and their associate representation 
in the incident data language.

4. A message format specification and associated transport binding to 
carry the encoded description of an incident (Output #2).

5. Guidelines for implementing the data format (Output #2) and 
associated communications (Output #4)

Goals and Milestones:
Done    Initial I-D of the incident data language specification  
Done    Initial I-D for the requirements specification  
Done    Initial I-D of the implementation guidelines document  
Done    Initial I-D of the traceback extension specification  
Done    Submit initial draft of phishing extension specification I-D  
Nov 2005    Initial I-D of a transport binding specification  
Dec 2005    Submit messaging format specification I-D to the IESG as Proposed  
Dec 2005    Submit incident data language specification I-D to the IESG as
Proposed  

Dec 2005    Submit requirements I-D to the IESG as Informational  

Dec 2005    Submit transport binding specification I-D to the IESG as Proposed

Dec 2005    Submit phishing extension specification I-D to the IESG as Proposed

Feb 2006    Submit implementation guidelines I-D to the IESG as Informational  

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce