Subject: RFC 4322 on Opportunistic Encryption using the Internet Key Exchange (IKE)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:44:41 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4322

        Title:      Opportunistic Encryption using the Internet Key
                    Exchange (IKE)
        Author(s):  M. Richardson, D.H. Redelmeier
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       December 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      44
        Characters: 95412
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-17.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4322.txt

This document describes opportunistic encryption (OE) as designed and
implemented by the Linux FreeS/WAN project.  OE uses the Internet Key
Exchange (IKE) and IPsec protocols.  The objective is to allow
encryption for secure communication without any pre-arrangement
specific to the pair of systems involved.  DNS is used to distribute
the public keys of each system involved.  This is resistant to
passive attacks.  The use of DNS Security (DNSSEC) secures this
system against active attackers as well.

As a result, the administrative overhead is reduced from the square
of the number of systems to a linear dependence, and it becomes
possible to make secure communication the default even when the
partner is not known in advance.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce