Subject: RFC 4297 on Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) over IP Problem Statement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:56:52 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4297

        Title:      Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) over IP Problem
                    Statement
        Author(s):  A. Romanow, J. Mogul, T. Talpey, S. Bailey
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       December 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 48514
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rddp-problem-statement-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4297.txt

Overhead due to the movement of user data in the end-system
network I/O processing path at high speeds is significant,
and has limited the use of Internet protocols in interconnection
networks, and the Internet itself -- especially where high bandwidth,
low latency, and/or low overhead are required by the hosted
application. 

This document examines this overhead, and addresses an architectural,
IP-based "copy avoidance" solution for its elimination, by enabling
Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA). 

This document is a product of the Remote Direct Data Placement Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce