Subject: WG Review: Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:37:10 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Operations and Management
Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The following draft
charter was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. 
Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 
December 28th.

+++

Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)
===========================================

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

WG Chair(s): TBD

Operations and Management Area Director(s):
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>
David Kessens <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Description of Working Group:

The Diameter Maintanence and Extensions WG will focus on maintenance and
extensions to the Diameter protocol required to enable its use in applications
such as IP telephony and Local Area Network authentication, authorization and
accounting.

The IETF has recently completed work on the Diameter Base protocol.
There is on-going work on defining RADIUS extensions. The work done in the DiME
WG will ensure that work done in RADext is also available for Diameter.

The immediate goals of the DiME working group are to address the following
issues:

- Maintaining and/or progressing, along the standards track, the Diameter
procotol and Diameter Applications. Every revised document to be "maintained"
requires explicit approval before it will be accepted as a WG document.

- An informational RFC on a Diameter API.

- Diameter Application design guidelines. This document will provide guidelines
for design of new Diameter Applications. It will detail when to consider reusing
an existing application and when to develop a new application. Interaction
between vendor & SDO specific extensions and applications will be covered.

- Diameter QoS application. This document will develop a new Diameter
application for supporting QoS in AAA deployments. The NSIS WG will be consulted
on proper design of QoS attributes.

- Diameter URI. RFC 3588 defines an AAA URI which has some know problems. A
document revising the AAA URI as a specific Diameter URI will be developed.

- Diameter extentions for MIPv6. This may include support for Mobile IP
extensions, like FMIP; as well as support for MIP bootstrapping.

Additionally, AAA systems require interoperability in order to work.
Uncontrolled extensibility is not a mechanism for interoperability.
Therefore, the working group, along with the AD, will need to evaluate any
potential extensions and require verification that the proposed extension is
needed. Coordination with other IETF working groups and other SDOs will used to
ensure this.

Drafts

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-api-04.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alfano-aaa-qosprot-03.txt
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/aaa/draft-ietf-aaa-uri/draft-ietf-aaa-uri-01.txt
http://www.tschofenig.com/drafts/draft-tschofenig-mip6-aaa-ha-diameter-00.txt
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-le-aaa-diameter-mobileipv6-04.txt

Milestones

Mar 06 Submit Diameter API to IESG as an information RFC.
May 06 Submit Diameter URI to IESG as an information RFC.
Sep 06 Submit Diameter QoS Application to IESG as a Proposed Standard.
Sep 06 Submit Diameter Application Design Guidelines to IESG as an informational
RFC.
Jan 07 Submit Diameter Base to IESG as a Draft Standard

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce