Subject: Protocol Action: 'The AES-XCBC-PRF-128 Algorithm for the Internet Key Exchange Protocol (IKE)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:53:22 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The AES-XCBC-PRF-128 Algorithm for the Internet Key Exchange Protocol (IKE) '
   <draft-hoffman-rfc3664bis-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-rfc3664bis-05.txt

Technical Summary

  This document will replace RFC 3664 (once it is approved).  RFC 3664
  defines a particular pseudo-random function based on a key and a
  message; however, RFC 3664 inadvertently only allowed fixed-size keys
  of 128 bits.  This document allows keys of all sizes.

Working Group Summary

  This document was discussed in the IPsec WG before it was shut down,
  and it was further discussed and on the IPsec mailing list after the
  IPsec WG was shut down.  Suggestions lead to significant improvements
  in the parts of the function.

Protocol Quality

  The document was brought to the attention of the CFRG, which raised no
  concerns.

  Two different implementers who already had RFC 3664 implementations
  read the specification and were able to implement the changes
  successfully and interoperably.

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce