Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Transport Layer Security (tls)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:00:01 -0500

The charter of the Transport Layer Security (tls) working group in the 
Security Area of the IETF has been updated.  For additional information, 
please contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

Transport Layer Security (tls)
==============================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Pasi Eronen <[email-masked]>

Security Area Director(s):
Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:
Russ Housley <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-tls/mail-archive

Description of Working Group:

The TLS Working Group was established in 1996 to standardize a
'transport layer' security protocol. The working group began with SSL
version 3.0. The TLS Working Group has completed a series of
specifications that describe the Transport Layer Security protocol
versions 1.0 and 1.1, extensions to the protocol, and new
ciphersuites to be used with TLS.

The primary goal of the WG is to publish a revision of TLS, version 1.2,
that removes the protocol's dependency on the MD5 and SHA-1 digest
algorithms, which have been either wholly or partially compromised by
recent research. The TLS WG will also work on new authenticated
encryption modes for TLS, including modes based on counter mode
encryption (CTR) and combined encryption/authentication modes, and
may define major new cipher suites for TLS for this purpose. In the
preparation of TLS 1.2, the WG will attempt to avoid gratuitous
changes to TLS 1.1.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Final draft for Secure Transport Layer Protocol ('STLP')
Done TLS 1.1 specification
3/2006 First draft of TLS 1.2 specification, including
CTR mode cipher suites
3/2006 First draft of specification for cipher suites with
combined encryption/authentication modes
12/2006 Submit specification of TLS 1.2 specification to
IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
12/2006 Submit specification of cipher suites with
combined encryption/authentication modes
to IESG for publication, with at least one
of these suites to be Proposed Standard.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce