Subject: Protocol Action: 'Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP): The Binary Encoding Option' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:36:36 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP): The Binary Encoding Option '
   <draft-legg-ldap-binary-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-legg-ldap-binary-04.txt

Technical Summary
 
Each attribute stored in a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
directory has a defined syntax.  A syntax
definition specifies how attribute values conforming to the syntax
are normally represented when transferred in LDAP operations.  This
representation is referred to as the LDAP-specific encoding to
distinguish it from other methods of encoding attribute values.  This
document defines an attribute option, the binary option, which can be
used to specify that the associated attribute values are instead
encoded according to the Basic Encoding Rules (BER) used by X.500
directories.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This document is the product of an individual submitter, not of 
a working group.  In review, there was one point of dissent.
The draft notes it updates the LDAPbis syntaxes and matching rules
specification; one reviewer felt that this document did not update 
those.  
 
Protocol Quality
 
This was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce