Subject: RFC 4278 on Standards Maturity Variance Regarding the TCP MD5 Signature Option (RFC 2385) and the BGP-4 Specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:28:04 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4278

        Title:      Standards Maturity Variance Regarding the TCP MD5
                    Signature Option (RFC 2385) and the BGP-4
                    Specification
        Author(s):  S. Bellovin, A. Zinin
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       January 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 14483
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iesg-tcpmd5app-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4278.txt

The IETF Standards Process requires that all normative references for
a document be at the same or higher level of standardization.  RFC
2026 section 9.1 allows the IESG to grant a variance to the standard
practices of the IETF.  This document explains why the IESG is
considering doing so for the revised version of the BGP-4
specification, which refers normatively to RFC 2385, "Protection of
BGP Sessions via the TCP MD5 Signature Option".  RFC 2385 will remain
at the Proposed Standard level.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce