Subject: RFC 4330 on Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) Version 4 for IPv4, IPv6 and OSI

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:48:24 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4330

        Title:      Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) 
                    Version 4 for IPv4, IPv6, and 
                    OSI 
        Author:     D. Mills
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       January 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 67930
        Obsoletes:  RFC2030, RFC1769

        I-D Tag:    draft-mills-sntp-v4-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4330.txt

This memorandum describes the Simple Network Time Protocol
Version 4 (SNTPv4), which is a subset of the Network Time Protocol (NTP) used
to synchronize computer clocks in the Internet.  SNTPv4 can be used when
the ultimate performance of a full NTP implementation based on
RFC 1305 is neither needed nor justified.  When operating with current
and previous NTP and SNTP versions, SNTPv4 requires no changes to the
specifications or known implementations, but rather clarifies certain
design features that allow operation in a simple, stateless
remote-procedure call (RPC) mode with accuracy and reliability
expectations similar to the UDP/TIME protocol described in RFC 868.

This memorandum obsoletes RFC 1769, which describes SNTP Version
3 (SNTPv3), and RFC 2030, which describes SNTPv4.  Its purpose is to
correct certain inconsistencies in the previous documents and to
clarify header formats and protocol operations for NTPv3 (IPv4) and
SNTPv4 (IPv4, IPv6, and OSI), which are also used for SNTP.  A further
purpose is to provide guidance for home and business client
implementations for routers and other consumer devices to protect
the server population from abuse.  A working knowledge of the NTPv3
specification, RFC 1305, is not required for an
implementation of SNTP.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4330

        Title:      Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) 
                    Version 4 for IPv4, IPv6, and 
                    OSI 
        Author:     D. Mills
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       January 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 67930
        Obsoletes:  RFC2030, RFC1769

        I-D Tag:    draft-mills-sntp-v4-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4330.txt

This memorandum describes the Simple Network Time Protocol
Version 4 (SNTPv4), which is a subset of the Network Time Protocol (NTP) used
to synchronize computer clocks in the Internet.  SNTPv4 can be used when
the ultimate performance of a full NTP implementation based on
RFC 1305 is neither needed nor justified.  When operating with current
and previous NTP and SNTP versions, SNTPv4 requires no changes to the
specifications or known implementations, but rather clarifies certain
design features that allow operation in a simple, stateless
remote-procedure call (RPC) mode with accuracy and reliability
expectations similar to the UDP/TIME protocol described in RFC 868.

This memorandum obsoletes RFC 1769, which describes SNTP Version
3 (SNTPv3), and RFC 2030, which describes SNTPv4.  Its purpose is to
correct certain inconsistencies in the previous documents and to
clarify header formats and protocol operations for NTPv3 (IPv4) and
SNTPv4 (IPv4, IPv6, and OSI), which are also used for SNTP.  A further
purpose is to provide guidance for home and business client
implementations for routers and other consumer devices to protect
the server population from abuse.  A working knowledge of the NTPv3
specification, RFC 1305, is not required for an
implementation of SNTP.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce