Subject: Approval of Atom LinkRelations Attribute Value Registrations

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:20:25 -0500

The IESG has approved requests to register the following Atom LinkRelations
attribute values in the Atom LinkRelations registry. These requests were
received from individual submitters through IANA.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Scott Hollenbeck. The Atom
LinkRelations registry can be found at this location on the IANA web site:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations

Attribute Value: previous
Description: A URI that refers to the immediately preceding document in a
series of documents.
Expected display characteristics: Undefined; this relation can be used for
background processing or to provide extended functionality without
displaying its value.
Security considerations: Automated agents should take care when this
relation crosses administrative domains (e.g., the URI has a different
authority than the current document). Such agents should also take care to
detect circular references.

Attribute Value: next
Description: A URI that refers to the immediately following document in a
series of documents.
Expected display characteristics: Undefined; this relation can be used for
background processing or to provide extended functionality without
displaying its value.
Security considerations: Automated agents should take care when this
relation crosses administrative domains (e.g., the URI has a different
authority than the current document). Such agents should also take care to
detect circular references.

Attribute Value: first
Description: A URI that refers to the furthest preceding document in a
series of documents.
Expected display characteristics: Undefined; this relation can be used for
background processing or to provide extended functionality without
displaying its value.
Security considerations: Automated agents should take care when this
relation crosses administrative domains (e.g., the URI has a different
authority than the current document). Such agents should also take care to
detect circular references.

Attribute Value: last
Description: A URI that refers to the furthest following document in a
series of documents.
Expected display characteristics: Undefined; this relation can be used for
background processing or to provide extended functionality without
displaying its value.
Security considerations: Automated agents should take care when this
relation crosses administrative domains (e.g., the URI has a different
authority than the current document). Such agents should also take care to
detect circular references.

Attribute Value: current
Description: A URI that, when dereferenced, returns a feed document
containing the most recent entries in the feed.
Expected display characteristics: Undefined; this relation can be used for
background processing or to provide extended functionality without
displaying its value.
Security considerations: Automated agents should take care when this
relation crosses administrative domains (e.g., the URI has a different
authority than the current document).

Attribute Value: payment
Description: rel="payment" indicates a URI where payment is accepted. It is
meant as a general way to facilitate acts of payment, and thus this
specification makes no assumptions on the type of payment or transaction
protocol. Examples may include a WWW page where donations are accepted or
where goods and services are available for purchase.

rel="payment" is not intended to initiate an automated transaction.

A link element with a rel="payment" attribute may exist at the feed/channel
level and/or the entry/item level. For example, a rel="payment" link at the
feed/channel level may point to a "tip jar" URI, whereas an entry/item
containing a book review may include a rel="payment" link that points to the
location where the book may be purchased through an online retailer.

Display Characteristics: End-user software could support rel="payment" by
displaying a "payment button" along with the content. Alternatively, content
aggregators may display a payment hyperlink containing the text specified in
a corresponding title attribute within the <link> element, for example:

<link rel="payment" href="http://example.com/c.r.e.a.m"
title="give me the loot" />

May display either a payment button or a hyperlink containing the text,
"give me the loot."

Security Considerations: The link element is subject to tampering and
observation, as is the linked resource. For that reason, implementations
should clearly signal the level trust and privacy a linked resource
provides. If present, digital signatures provide authentication, message
integrity, and non-repudiation with proof of origin. Encryption provides
data confidentiality.

Implementations should also consider the level of confidentiality and
message integrity provided by the transport used to reach the payment
resource.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce