Subject: IETF Last Call under RFC 3683 concerning JFC (Jefsey) Morfin

From: "Scott Hollenbeck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:34:41 -0500

The IESG has received a request from Harald Alvestrand to approve an RFC
3683 PR-action  ("posting rights" action) for JFC (Jefsey) Morfin as a
result of a pattern of prior warning and posting rights suspensions for
off-topic postings to the LTRU working group and ietf-languages mailing
lists that have not produced a change in behavior.  This behavior has been
characterized as a "denial-of-service" attack to disrupt the
consensus-driven process as described in Section 1 of RFC 3683.  A timeline
of warnings and posting rights suspensions related to this request is
included below.

The IESG will consider this request.  If approved, the PR-action described
in Section 2 of RFC 3683 includes provisions to allow list administrators to
suspend Mr. Morfin's posting rights to the LTRU working group and
ietf-languages mailing list for at least one year.  Maintainers of other
IETF mailing lists may also remove posting rights to their mailing lists at
their discretion.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the [email-masked] or
[email-masked] mailing lists by 17 February 2006.

For the IESG,
Scott Hollenbeck
Applications Area Director
--------------------------

Private warnings sent for LTRU working group mailing list postings:
7 July 2005
16 July 2005
23 September 2005
26 October 2005

Public warnings and suspensions for LTRU working group and ietf-languages
mailing list postings:

17 March 2005 (ietf-languages warning)
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2005-March/003236.html

5 April 2005 (LTRU warning)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg00564.html

12 May 2005 (LTRU suspension)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg01737.html

26 May 2005 (LTRU warning)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg01897.html
(Used as basis for 4 July suspension.)

15 June 2005 (ietf-languages suspension)
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2005-June/003474.html

4 July 2005 (LTRU suspension)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg02532.html
(Appealed to AD, appeal upheld, new warning given.)

5 July 2005 (LTRU warning)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg02548.html

15 September 2005 (ietf-languages suspension)
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2005-September/003585.html

26 September 2005 (LTRU warning)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg03755.html

7 October 2005
PR-Action request sent to IESG
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg38183.html

15 October 2005 (LTRU warning)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg03941.html

8 November 2005 (LTRU suspension)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04032.html
(Appealed to AD, appeal denied by AD.)

20 November 2005 (ietf-languages suspension)
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2005-November/003811.html
(Appealed to AD/IESG, appeal denied by IESG, appealed to the IAB.)

13 January 2006 (ietf-languages suspension)
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2006-January/003854.html

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:02:37 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
...
> I mean really, has anyone ever had their opinion changed because of something someone said during these PR-Actions? 

This is in fact only the second last call ever on a PR-action.

I can assure you that the IESG reads the opinions expressed
carefully and does not take such decisions lightly, one way
or the other.

     Brian