Subject: Document Action: 'MTU and Fragmentation Issues with In-the-Network Tunneling' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:04:11 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'MTU and Fragmentation Issues with In-the-Network Tunneling '
   <draft-savola-mtufrag-network-tunneling-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-savola-mtufrag-network-tunneling-05.txt

Technical Summary
 
   Tunneling techniques such as IP-in-IP when deployed in the middle of
   the network, typically between routers, have certain issues regarding
   how large packets can be handled: whether such packets would be
   fragmented and reassembled (and how), whether Path MTU Discovery
   would be used, or how this scenario could be operationally avoided.
   This memo justifies why this is a common, non-trivial problem, and
   goes on to describe the different solutions and their characteristics
   at some length.

Working Group Summary
 
   This is an individual submission. It was not discussed in any working
   group, but was discussed on the int-area mailing list. One negative 
   comment was that, while the document isn't necessarily bad, it doesn't
   contain enough new and useful information to elevate it to RFC status. 
   There was some associated philisophical discussion about what 
   should/should not become an RFC.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   This is an overview of current practice. Call for review was made to
   the int-area list. This document was reviewed by Mark Townsley.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce