Subject: RFC 4271 on A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:38:23 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4271

        Title:      A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4)
        Author(s):  Y. Rekhter, Ed., T. Li, Ed., S. Hares, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      104
        Characters: 222702
        Obsoletes:  1771

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-26.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4271.txt

This document discusses the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), which is an
inter-Autonomous System routing protocol.

The primary function of a BGP speaking system is to exchange network
reachability information with other BGP systems.  This network
reachability information includes information on the list of
Autonomous Systems (ASes) that reachability information traverses.
This information is sufficient for constructing a graph of AS
connectivity for this reachability from which routing loops may be
pruned, and, at the AS level, some policy decisions may be enforced.

BGP-4 provides a set of mechanisms for supporting Classless
Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR).  These mechanisms
include support for advertising a set of destinations as an IP prefix,
and eliminating the concept of network "class" within BGP.  BGP-4 also
introduces mechanisms that allow aggregation of routes, including
aggregation of AS paths.

This document obsoletes RFC 1771.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group
of the IETF.

This is now a Draft Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce