Subject: Protocol Action: 'Bootstrapping TESLA' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:39:30 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Bootstrapping TESLA '
   <draft-ietf-msec-bootstrapping-tesla-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multicast Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Sam Hartman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-bootstrapping-tesla-03.txt

Technical Summary

  The TESLA source authentication protocol needs bootstrapping
  either via a key management protocol or in-band with a data
  encapsulation protocol.  The "Bootstrapping TESLA" specification
  describes how to do this via the MIKEY protocol.  The specification
  includes payloads and parameters required for TESLA initialization
  between the "source" and each receiver individually.

Working Group Summary

  The WG considered whether to include this as part of the SRTP-TESLA
  specification and decided against it (rough consensus).  The protocol
  itself is fairly straightforward.  However, it is an important
  contribution and other documents describing TESLA bootstrapping
  in the context of other protocols (e.g., GKDP) might be developed
  in the future.

Protocol Quality

  There are several MIKEY implementations and a TESLA implementation;
  however, SRTP-TESLA and MIKEY-TESLA extensions have not yet been
  implemented (to our knowledge).

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce