Subject: Protocol Action: 'Sieve Email Filtering: Vacation Extension' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:07:20 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Sieve Email Filtering: Vacation Extension '
   <draft-ietf-sieve-vacation-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Scott Hollenbeck and Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-vacation-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
The Sieve vacation extension implements a vacation autoresponder similar to 
the vacation command available under many versions of Unix.  Its purpose is 
to provide correspondents with notification that the user is away for an 
extended period of time and that they should not expect quick responses.

The extension defines a vacation action with parameters that allow 
customization of the response. It goes into detail about how the 
auto-response should be handled, with particular emphasis to tracking 
previous vacation messages sent to correspondents to avoid duplicates, and 
to how the response message itself should be constructed.

The draft has a description of how interactions with other SIEVE 
extensions/actions are handled.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The vacation extension was originally submitted as an individual 
contribution several years ago. It has not changed substantially since 
then, and there are now many deployed implementations of this 
specification. Working group last call was issued in September 2005 and a 
number of minor clarifications and errors were fixed based on comments.
 
Protocol Quality

Many implementations of this extension have already been developed and 
deployed.  Jeffrey Hutzelman performed a security review of the document.
Scott Hollenbeck has reviewed this specification for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce