Subject: Document Action: 'US Secure Hash Algorithms (SHA and HMAC-SHA)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:05:00 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'US Secure Hash Algorithms (SHA and HMAC-SHA) '
   <draft-eastlake-sha2-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-sha2-02.txt

Technical Summary

  NIST has adopted a suite of secure hash algorithms as part of a
  Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 180-2: SHA-224,
  SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512.  The purpose of this document is to
  make open source code performing these hash functions conveniently
  available to the Internet community.  The sample code supports input
  strings of arbitrary bit length.  Also, the SHA-1 (from FIPS 180-1)
  sample code from RFC 3174 has also been updated to handle an input
  string of arbitrary length.

  Code to perform SHA-based HMACs is also included.

  Most of the text in the document was adapted by the authors from
  FIPS 180-2.

Working Group Summary

  This is an Individual submission.  No IETF Working Group was involved.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

Note to the RFC Editor

  To resolve the concerns with the term "open source", please make the
  following changes:

  In the Abstract:

    OLD:

      The purpose of this document is to make open source code
      performing these hash functions conveniently available to
      the Internet community.

    NEW:

      The purpose of this document is to make source code
      performing these hash functions conveniently available to
      the Internet community.

  In Section 10:

    OLD:

      This document is intended to provide convenient open source
      access by the Internet community to the United States of
      America Federal Information Processing Standard Secure Hash
      Algorithms (SHAs) [FIPS 180-2] and HMACs based thereon.

    NEW:

      This document provides the Internet community convenient
      access to source code that implements the United States of
      America Federal Information Processing Standard Secure Hash
      Algorithms (SHAs) [FIPS 180-2] and HMACs based upon these
      one-way hash functions.  See license in Section 1.1.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce