Subject: WG Review: Secure Inter-Domain Routing (sidr)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 15:09:05 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Routing Area.  The IESG has
not made any determination as yet.  The following draft charter was submitted,
and is provided for informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to
the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by February 15th.

+++

Secure Inter-Domain Routing (sidr)
===================================

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):
TBD

Routing Area Director(s):
Bill Fenner <fenner at research.att.com>
Alex Zinin <zinin at psg.com>

Routing Area Advisor:
TBD

Other Advisors:
Security: TBD
Routing: TBD

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: sidr at ietf.org
To Subscribe: sidr-request at ietf.org
In Body: (un)subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/index.html

Description of Working Group:

One of the areas of vulnerability for large scale Internet
environments lies in the area of inter-domain routing. The basic
security questions that can be posed regarding routing information
are whether the originating Autonomous System is authorized to
advertise an address prefix by the holder of that prefix, whether
the originating AS is accurately identified by the originating
Autonomous System Number in the advertisement, and the validity of
both the address prefix and the Autonomous System Number. A related
question concerns the level of trust than can be ascribed to
attributes of a route object in terms of their authenticity,
including consideration of the AS Path attribute.

The Routing Protocol Security Group (RPSEC) has been chartered to
document the security requirements for routing systems, and, in
particular, to produce a document on BGP security requirements.

The scope of work in the SIDR working group is to formulate an 
extensible architecture for an interdomain routing security 
framework. This framework must be capable of supporting incremental 
additions of functional components. As and when interdomain routing
security requirements are completed within the RPSEC Working Group,
these requirements will be defined within the SIDR framework as
functional components of a secure interdomain routing system.

The scope of work will include describing the use of certification
objects for supporting the distribution of authorization and
authentication information. Both hierarchic and distributed non-
hierarchic trust systems are intended to be supported within this
framework. The intended support of both forms of trust models is to
allow for the use of this framework for routing security in diverse
routing environments that have different underlying trust
characteristics.

The scope of work is limited to inter-domain router-to-router
protocols only, for both unicast and multicast systems.

The SIDR working group is charged with the following tasks:

- Document an extensible interdomain routing security architecture

- Document the use of certification objects within this secure
routing architecture

- Document specific routing functionality modules within this
architecture that are designed to address specific secure routing
requirements as they are determined by the RPSEC Working Group

Goals and Milestones:

Aug-06 Submit initial draft on inter-domain routing security
architecture

Sep-06 Submit initial draft on certificate objects to be used
within this architecture

Sep-06 Submit initial draft on securing origination of routing
information

Jan-07 Submit routing security architecture for publication as an
Informational RFC

Mar-07 Submit description of use certificate objects by this 
architecture as an Informational RFC

Apr-07 Submit secure origination mechanism as a Proposed Standard

May-07 Evaluate progress, recharter with new goals or shutdown.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce