Subject: IETF Server Migration

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:16:50 -0500

Hi All,

NeuStar Secretariat Services will be migrating the IETF to new servers in 
accordance with the schedule below.  All work will be done on the weekends to 
minimize disruptions, but there are periods when services will be down.

We will be installing new Web servers, ftp servers, smtp and mailman servers, 
and the server for the Secretariat’s Web tools.  In most cases, we will be 
migrating to faster, and more redundant hardware; in other cases, upgrading 
software to newer versions with additional features.

We believe we are prepared for this move, but, as with all migrations of this 
size and complexity, there may be some glitches.  If you experience any 
difficulties over this period, or notice anything amiss with the site, mailing 
lists, etc, then please send email to [email-masked] and copy the IAD at 
[email-masked].  In case of an emergency, please call the emergency number: 
+1 301-858-6268.

Migration Schedule with expected down times:

Saturday, Feb 11th:
   a. Web services (www.ietf.org, www.iab.org, www.iesg.org, noc.ietf.org).
     - Down Time: Web services will be seamless during the migration since 
                  the old and new system will be running parallel for the 
                  next 48 hours after the migration.
   b. FTP services (ftp.ietf.org).
     - Down Time: FTP services will be seamless during the migration since 
                  the old and new system will be running parallel for the 
                  next 48 hours after the migration.
   c. The Secretariat's Web Tools (datatracker.ietf.org - I-D Trackers, 
      I-D DB Interface, IPR Submission and List page, Liaisons Submission 
      and List page, WG chairs tools, Mailing List request tool, Non-WG 
      Mailing List Posting tool and list page, and any other pages that 
      are being handled by datatracker.ietf.org server.)
      - Down Time: 7:00 AM ET.
      - Up Time: It could be as early as 9:00 AM ET. and as late as 
                 7:00 AM ET., the next day depends on the DNS propagation  
                 latency. See note below.

Saturday, Feb 18th:
   a. Mailing List Services (www1.ietf.org)
      - Down Time: 7:00 AM ET.
      - Up Time: It could be as early as 11:00 AM ET. and as late as 
                 7:00 AM ET., the next day depends on the DNS propagation  
                 latency. See note below.
   b. Request Tracker Services (ticket.ietf.org)
      - Down Time: 7:00 AM ET.
      - Up Time: It could be as early as 11:00 AM ET. and as late as 
                 7:00 AM ET., the next day depends on the DNS propagation  
                 latency. See note below.

      Please note that the down time for the RT system affects only those 
      people who have accounts with the site.  One will stil be able to 
      send a message to the Secretariat ([email-masked], etc).  
      Messages will be hold up in the IETF mail server and released when 
      the RT system is back in service.

If it becomes necessary to change these plans, then we will send a second 
message to the list with the updated schedule. 

Thanks.

IETF Secretariat.

Note: Most of the name servers will be updated and bring the services from 
our new servers within a couple of hours after migrations.  However, this 
depends on their network environment, some names servers may be updated 
later than others.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce