Subject: RFC 4367 on What\'s in a Name: False Assumptions about DNS Names

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 17:26:47 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4367

        Title:      What\'s in a Name: False 
                    Assumptions about DNS Names 
        Author:     J. Rosenberg,  Ed., 
                    IAB
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 41724
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-dns-assumptions-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4367.txt

The Domain Name System (DNS) provides an essential service on the
Internet, mapping structured names to a variety of data, usually IP
addresses.  These names appear in email addresses, Uniform Resource
Identifiers (URIs), and other application-layer identifiers that are
often rendered to human users.  Because of this, there has been a
strong demand to acquire names that have significance to people,
through equivalence to registered trademarks, company names, types of
services, and so on.  There is a danger in this trend; the humans and
automata that consume and use such names will associate specific
semantics with some names and thereby make assumptions about the
services that are, or should be, provided by the hosts associated
with the names.  Those assumptions can often be false, resulting in a
variety of failure conditions.  This document discusses this problem
in more detail and makes recommendations on how it can be avoided.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

--9c32b38539af897c9e70a9c31c497ce3

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4367

        Title:      What\'s in a Name: False 
                    Assumptions about DNS Names 
        Author:     J. Rosenberg,  Ed., 
                    IAB
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 41724
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-dns-assumptions-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4367.txt

The Domain Name System (DNS) provides an essential service on the
Internet, mapping structured names to a variety of data, usually IP
addresses.  These names appear in email addresses, Uniform Resource
Identifiers (URIs), and other application-layer identifiers that are
often rendered to human users.  Because of this, there has been a
strong demand to acquire names that have significance to people,
through equivalence to registered trademarks, company names, types of
services, and so on.  There is a danger in this trend; the humans and
automata that consume and use such names will associate specific
semantics with some names and thereby make assumptions about the
services that are, or should be, provided by the hosts associated
with the names.  Those assumptions can often be false, resulting in a
variety of failure conditions.  This document discusses this problem
in more detail and makes recommendations on how it can be avoided.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce