Subject: Document Action: 'IPv6 Neighbor Discovery On-Link Assumption Considered Harmful' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:16:17 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IPv6 Neighbor Discovery On-Link Assumption Considered Harmful '
   <draft-ietf-v6ops-onlinkassumption-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Kessens and Bert Wijnen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-onlinkassumption-04.txt

Technical Summary
 
 This document describes the historical and background information
 behind the removal of the "on-link assumption" from the conceptual
 host sending algorithm defined in Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6
 (IPv6).  According to the algorithm as originally described, when a
 host's default router list is empty, the host assumes that all
 destinations are on-link.  This is particularly problematic with
 IPv6-capable nodes that do not have off-link IPv6 connectivity (e.g.,
 no default router).  This document describes how making this
 assumption causes problems, and describes how these problems outweigh
 the benefits of this part of the conceptual sending algorithm.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 This document is a product of the v6ops working group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 David Kessens reviewed this document for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce