Subject: IESG Statement on disruptive posting

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 03:35:06 -0500

The IESG today makes the following statement, but will welcome
community feedback on it.

According to RFC 2418 as updated by RFC 3934, WG chairs have
the power to suspend disruptive posters on WG mailing lists for
periods of 30 days. However, this power is not documented
for the moderators or maintainers of IETF mailing lists that
are not WG mailing lists. In the absence of a BCP or
RFC 3933 procedure to cover this case, and as part of its
responsibility under RFC 2026 to organize and manage the 
Internet Standards process, the IESG has decided as follows:

The administrators of such lists are authorized to suspend disruptive
posters for periods of not more than 30 days, typically after one or
more explicit and public warnings, and consultation with an Area Director.

Administrators may also follow the moderation guidelines at
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/moderated-lists.txt

The list of IETF mailing lists that are not WG mailing lists
is maintained at https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/nwg_list.cgi
where the administrators are listed.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce