Subject: WG Review: Recharter of MIPv6 Signaling and Handoff Optimization (mipshop)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:27:26 -0500

A modified charter has been submitted for the MIPv6 Signaling and Handoff
Optimization (mipshop) working group in the Internet Area of the IETF.  
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The modified charter is provided
below for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by March 1st.

+++

MIPv6 Signaling and Handoff Optimization (mipshop)
--------------------------------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]>
Stefano Faccin <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mipshop/index.html

Description of Working Group:

Mobile IPv6 enables IPv6 mobile nodes to continue using a given "home address"
in spite of changes in its point of attachment to the network.
These changes may cause packet loss, and also represent overhead traffic on the
network. The previous MIPSHOP charter directed the group to continue work
(started by the Mobile IP Working group) on two technologies to address these
issues. Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 (HMIPv6, RFC 4140) reduces the amount and
latency of signaling between a MN, its Home Agent and one or more correspondent
nodes. Fast Handovers for Mobile IPv6 (FMIPv6, RFC 4068) reduces packet loss by
providing fast IP connectivity as soon as the mobile node establishes a new
point of attachment at a new link. 

As part of its previous set of work items, MIPSHOP published these two
protocols as experimental RFCs. An information document on how FMIPv6 can
operate over IEEE 802.11 was also published as an informational RFC.
Further implementation work by the community has increased the understanding of
how FMIPv6 behaves or should behave on other link layers, and in general.
Similarly, further implementation and experimentation with HMIPv6 has resulted
in better understanding of the protocol. Accordingly, MIPSHOP will continue work
on HMIPv6 and FMIPv6 in order to prepare their publication as proposed
standards.

Additionally, the IEEE 802.21 Media Independent Handoff (MIH) working group
aims at providing services to assist with handoffs between heterogeneous
link-layer technologies, and across IP subnet boundaries.
The information exchanges defined by IEEE 802.21 are classified as MI (Media
Independent) Event Service (MIES), MI Command Service (MICS), and MI Information
Service (MIIS). The MIIS provides topological and location-related information
of service networks. The MIES provides timely communications of wireless
environment information via the delivery of events originating across the
link-layer or farther away.
The MICS is an analogous service for commands which can change the state of the
wireless link or of a host's point of attachment, potentially triggering further
event generation. MIH services can be delivered through link-layer specific
solutions and/or through a "layer 3 or above" protocol. MIPSHOP will define the
delivery of information for MIH services for this latter case. Notice that this
allows the network information to reside anywhere (not necessarily across the
link-layer hop), and enables MIH services even in the absence of the
corresponding link-layer support. An L2 or L3 based mechanism to identify a
valid information server is also required; in particular for L3, we expect that
any of the several current L3 discovery mechanisms will be used. A liaison with
IEEE 802.21 has been established, and access to the IEEE
802.21 drafts is granted to mipshop members. Interested members need to send a
request to the WG chairs in order to obtain a copy of the current IEEE 802.11
draft.

There have been several proposals to improve upon the Return Routability
procedure defined in MIPv6 (RFC 3775), both in terms of the security of the
mechanism as well as with respect to its performance. In particular, discussions
within the MOBOPTS Research Group of the IRTF have centered on reducing the
round trip times required to complete the procedure, and on increasing the
length of time before the procedure needs to be run again. Some proposals are
mature enough that they will be taken over by MIPSHOP for standardization.

The WG will be very proactive in seeking AD-coordinated security reviews of the
drafts developed in the WG.

Scope of MIPSHOP:

The working group will:

(1) Revise the specification of HMIPv6 (RFC 4140) protocol to advance it to
Proposed Standard. This implies: 
- Work on MN-MAP security
- Streamline and refine the current HMIPv6 specification. 
- Document: draft-ietf-mipshop-hmipv6-rev-XX.txt 

(2) Revise the specification of FMIPv6 protocol (RFC 4068) to advance it to
Proposed Standard. 
- Work on MN-AR (access router) security using both the AAA infrastructure, and
- Keys derived from SeND
- Documents: draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa-XX.txt,
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send-XX.txt 

- Streamline and refine the current FMIPv6 specification
(draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rev-XX.txt) 

(3) Work on the application of FMIPv6 on two examples link-layers for
advancement as Informational RFCs: 
- IEEE 802.16e (and WiMax), and
- 3G CDMA 2K networks
- Documents: draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e-XX.txt,
draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-XX.txt 

(4) Produce a document on improving MIPv6 Return Routability via both
Cryptographically Generated Addresses and Credit-based Authorization for
advancement as Proposed Standard
- Documents: draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba-XX.txt 

(5) Work on areas of mutual interest to IEEE 802.21 and MIPSHOP: 
- Produce the required protocol enhancements or specifications for IP-based
support of Media-Independent Information, Command and Event Services. 
- Documents: draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-info-elements-XX.txt (transport of 802.21
information elements over IP), draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support-XX.txt (transport
of 802.21 services over IP, including security aspects) 

Tackling further work, although possible, requires re-chartering.

Goals and Milestones:

FEB 06 Begin security review on
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send-XX.txt and
draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba-XX.txt

APR 06 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send-XX.txt

APR 06 Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba-XX.txt

APR 06 Begin security review on
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa-XX.txt 

JUN 06 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send-XX.txt to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard

JUN 06 Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e-XX.txt 

JUN 06 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba-XX.txt to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard

JUL 06 Begin security review on HMIPv6 Security draft

AUG 06 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa-XX.txt 

AUG 06 Working Group Last Call draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rev-XX.txt

AUG 06 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-info-elements-XX.txt

SEP 06 Working Group Last Call on HMIPv6 Security draft

SEP 06 Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-XX.txt 

SEP 06 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rev-XX.txt to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard

OCT 06 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e-XX.txt to IESG for publication as
Informational RFC

OCT 06 Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-hmipv6-rev-XX.txt

NOV 06 Begin security review of draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support-XX.txt 

NOV 06 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-aaa-XX.txt to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard

NOV 06 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-XX.txt to IESG for publication as
Informational RFC

DEC 06 Submit draft on HMIPv6 security to IESG for publication as Proposed
Standard

DEC 06 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-hmipv6-rev-XX.txt to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard

JAN 06 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-info-elements-XX.txt to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard

MAR 07 Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support-XX.txt

JUL 07 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support-XX.txt to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard 

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce