Subject: Protocol Action: 'Real-Time Facsimile (T.38) - audio/t38 MIME Sub-type Registration' to Historic

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:14:44 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Real-Time Facsimile (T.38) - audio/t38 MIME Sub-type Registration '
   <draft-jones-avt-audio-t38-05.txt> as a Historic

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Allison Mankin.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jones-avt-audio-t38-05.txt

This document was Last Called as Proposed Standard in the past, but
review by the Audio Video Transport Working Group and the
IESG led to concern that the format not become a precedent
for future media types.  The specification should be
published and available for registration, and the media-type should 
be registered, but only because these are required for a very specific 
application  within ITU SG 16's T.38's real-time fax support.
This application is described in the document as a "legacy".
The Historic designation does not imply that the legacy
application should not be operative with this specification and 
registration to support it, but only that there not be *future* 
designs, non-legacies, based on this precedent.

The media type was sent for review on the ietf-types list
recently, referencing RFC 3550 and RFC 4288 (the new media type
registration rules) and no issues were raised.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce