Subject: Protocol Action: 'OSPF as the Provider/Customer Edge Protocol for BGP/MPLS IP VPNs' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 19:16:29 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'OSPF as the Provider/Customer Edge Protocol for BGP/MPLS IP VPNs '
   <draft-ietf-l3vpn-ospf-2547-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Mark Townsley and Margaret Wasserman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l3vpn-ospf-2547-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
Many Service Providers offer Virtual Private Network ("VPN") services
to their customers, using a technique in which customer edge routers
("CE routers") are routing peers of provider edge routers ("PE
routers").  The Border Gateway Protocol ("BGP") is used to distribute
the customer's routes across the provider's IP backbone network, and
Multiprotocol Label Switching ("MPLS") is used to tunnel customer
packets across the provider's backbone.  This is known as a "BGP/MPLS
IP VPN", as described in RFC 2547bis.  The base specification for
BGP/MPLS IP VPNs presumes that the routing protocol on the interface
between a PE router and a CE router is BGP.  This document extends
that specification by allowing the routing protocol on the PE/CE
interface to be the Open Shortest Path First ("OSPF") protocol.
 
Working Group Summary
 
There was support for this document in the Working Group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten. The
OSPF WG has also reviewed the OSPF extensions.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce