Subject: Protocol Action: 'PWE3 Frame Check Sequence Retention' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 11:52:52 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'PWE3 Frame Check Sequence Retention '
   <draft-ietf-pwe3-fcs-retention-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudo Wire Emulation Edge to Edge Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Mark Townsley and Margaret Wasserman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pwe3-fcs-retention-04.txt

Technical Summary

The PWE3 encapsulation specifications for Ethernet, Frame Relay, 
and HDLC pseudowires Ethernet, Frame Relay, and HDLC pseudowires
require that the original Frame Check Sequence (FCS) be removed 
at pseudowire ingress and regenerated at pseudowire egress. 

This document defines an optinal mechanism for preserving frame
FCS and transporting it over the pseudowire.

Working Group Summary

The PWE3 WG have thoroughly reviewed this design. There are mixed
opinions in the PWE3 WG on how beneficial this option is.

Protocol Quality

This is a simple modification to a well known encapsulation
and the associated signalling protocol. The document was 
reviewed by Mark Townsley.

Note to RFC Editor
 
Please expand the following terms when used first in section 5. Please provide astatement that this section uses the following terms defined in [RFC3931] 

Incoming-Call-Request (ICRQ)
Incoming-Call-Reply (ICRP)
Incoming-Call-Connected (ICCN)
Attribute Value Pair (AVP)
L2TP Control Connection Endpoint (LCCE)

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce