Subject: Document Action: 'IPv6 Node Information Queries' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:38:46 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IPv6 Node Information Queries '
   <draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-lookups-15.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-lookups-15.txt

Technical Summary

    This document describes a protocol for asking an IPv6 node to supply
    certain network information, such as its hostname or fully-qualified
    domain name.  IPv6 implementation experience has shown that direct
    queries for a hostname are useful, and a direct query mechanism for
    other information has been found useful in serverless environments
    and for debugging.

Working Group Summary

    The latest specification does differ from what is currently deployed.
    Reviews revealed that the multicast prefix used by the Node Info
    Queries does not conform to the requirements of RFC 3307.  The
    editors corrected the oversight within the specification to ensure
    proper operation over the long-term.  Those who have already
    implemented the protocol agreed with the change and plan on
    updating their code to conform to the new multicast prefix.

    Other minor changes were made to address deprecated functionality
    that no longer needs to be supported (e.g. IPv4-compatible addresses
    and site-local addresses).

Protocol Quality

    IPv6 Node Information Queries have been widely implemented in the ping6
    program in the KAME (<http://www.kame.net>), USAGI, and other IPv6
    implementations.  It is proved to be very useful when
    debugging problems or when bringing up IPv6 service where there isn't
    global routing or DNS name services available.  IPv6's large auto-
    configured addresses make debugging network problems and bringing up
    IPv6 service difficult without these mechanisms.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce