Subject: Document Action: 'A Roadmap for TCP Specification Documents' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:28:59 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Roadmap for TCP Specification Documents '
   <draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-roadmap-06.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Allison Mankin.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-roadmap-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document contains a "roadmap" to the RFCs relating to the Internet's TCP. 
This roadmap provides a brief summary of the documents defining TCP and various
TCP extensions that have accumulated in the RFC series.  This serves as a guide
and quick reference for both TCP implementers and other parties who desire
information contained in the TCP-related RFCs.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The advancement of this document is supported by the TCPM WG.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This protocol was reviewed for the IESG by Mark Allman and Jon Peterson

Note to RFC Editor

OLD:  (from section 3.1)

  Since TCP traditionally (in the absence of ECN) uses losses to
  infer congestion, there is a rather intimate coupling between
  congestion control and loss recovery mechanisms.

NEW:

  TCP traditionally treats lost packets as indicating
  congestion-related loss, and cannot distinguish between
  congestion-related loss and loss due to transmission errors.  Even
  when ECN is in use, there is a rather intimate coupling between
  congestion control and loss recovery mechanisms.

===

OLD:  (from section 3.3)

  A draft that is currently in the RFC Editor's queue for
  publication [tcpmd5app] deprecates TCP MD5 for use outside BGP.

NEW:

  RFC 4278 deprecates the use of TCP MD5 outside BGP [RFC4278].

Please change [tcpmd5app] to reference RFC 4278.

===

OLD: (from section 6.4)

   RFC 2452 S: "IP Version 6 Management Information Base for the
   Transmission Control Protocol" (December 1998)

      This document [RFC2452] augments RFC 2012 by adding an IPv6-
      specific connection table.  The rest of 2012 holds for any IP
      version.
NEW:
   RFC 2452 S: "IP Version 6 Management Information Base for the
   Transmission Control Protocol" (December 1998)

      This document [RFC2452] augments RFC 2012 by adding an IPv6-
      specific connection table.  The rest of 2012 holds for any IP
      version.  RFC 2012 is now obsoleted by RFC 4022.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce