Subject: Protocol Action: 'IMAP Extension for Conditional STORE operation' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 16:16:09 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IMAP Extension for Conditional STORE operation '
   <draft-ietf-imapext-condstore-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Internet Message Access Protocol Extension Working Group.  The IESG approved version -05 of this document in August 2003,
but the working group revised the document to correct some issues that were
discovered after IESG approval.

The IESG contact persons are Scott Hollenbeck and Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-condstore-09.txt

Technical Summary

Often, multiple IMAP clients need to coordinate changes to a common
IMAP mailbox.  Examples include different clients for the same user,
and multiple users accessing shared mailboxes. These clients need a
mechanism to synchronize state changes for messages within the mailbox.
They must be able to guarantee that only one client can change message
state (e.g., message flags or annotations) at any time.  An example of
such an application is use of an IMAP mailbox as a message queue with
multiple dequeueing clients.

The Conditional Store facility provides a protected update mechanism 
for message state information that can detect and resolve conflicts 
between multiple writing mail clients.
  
Working Group Summary
 
This document is a product of the imapext working group.  An earlier
version of this document (draft-ietf-imapext-condstore-05) was approved
by the IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard RFC in December
2003, but the working group decided that changes needed to be made
before the document was published as an RFC.  The rationale for the
changes is described in a comment archived in the I-D Tracker.
 
Protocol Quality
 
Ned Freed and Scott Hollenbeck reviewed this specification for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce