Subject: RFC 4418 on UMAC: Message Authentication Code using Universal Hashing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:32:59 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4418

        Title:      UMAC: Message Authentication Code using 
                    Universal Hashing 
        Author:     T. Krovetz,  Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 51304
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-krovetz-umac-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4418.txt

This specification describes how to generate an authentication tag
using the UMAC message authentication algorithm.  UMAC is designed
to be very fast to compute in software on contemporary
uniprocessors.  Measured speeds are as low as one cycle per
byte.  UMAC relies on addition of
32-bit and 64-bit numbers and multiplication of 32-bit numbers,
operations well-supported by contemporary machines.

To generate the authentication tag on a given message, a "universal" hash
function is applied to the message and key to produce a short,
fixed-length hash value, and this hash value is then xor'ed with a
key-derived pseudorandom pad.  UMAC enjoys a rigorous security
analysis, and its only internal "cryptographic" component is a block
cipher used to generate the pseudorandom pads and internal key
material.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce