Subject: Issue with current IAB mid-term replacement

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 23:55:27 -0500

An issue has been raised about how to interpret RFC 3777
in the case of the replacement for Pekka Nikander on the IAB.

Specifically, the duration for the replacement's appointment
is ambiguous, as different interpretations are possible (have
been made) as to whether the point of interest is when
the mid-term vacancy occured (which was before IETF65) or
when the replacement is named (which will obviously be after
IETF65).  

The IAB takes no position on what the answer *should* be,
but in the interest of giving the NomCom clear and direct
guidance, we have reiterated our request to find a replacement
for the remainder of Pekka's term -- to March of 2007.  This
seems the most straightforward path given competing interpretations
of RFC 3777. 

This seems to be an instance of testing a corner case in the
process RFC.  We suggest RFC 3777 should be amended with due
speed to prevent similar confusion in the future.

Leslie.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce