Subject: Protocol Action: 'Connection-Oriented Media Transport over the Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol in the Session Description Protocol (SDP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:41:25 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Connection-Oriented Media Transport over the Transport Layer Security (TLS) 
   Protocol in the Session Description Protocol (SDP) '
   <draft-ietf-mmusic-comedia-tls-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-comedia-tls-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
RFC 4145 describes how to use the Session Description Protocol (SDP)
to negotiate media transport over TCP. This draft extends and updates 
that specification, allowing TLS connections to be negotiated. It defines
a new SDP protocol identifier, 'TCP/TLS'.  It also defines the syntax
and semantics for an SDP 'fingerprint' attribute that identifies the
certificate which will be presented for the TLS session.  This
mechanism allows media transport over TLS connections to be
established securely, so long as the integrity of session
descriptions is assured.

Working Group Summary
 
This document was non-controversial and well-received by the working
group. It extends a published specification.  It is the security
technology for the now-approved basic floor control protocol
developed by the XCON working group. 

Protocol Quality
 
This document updates RFC 4145. It has been reviewed by the MMUSIC
working group, and implemented by the author.

Colin Perkins is the WG Chair shepherd.  Allison Mankin has
served as the Responsible Area Director.

Notes to the RFC Editor

Abstract

 Please add the following sentence to the end of the first 
 paragraph:
  This document extends and updates RFC 4145.

 Please delete the following, which was a temporary pointer:
  This revision of the document reflects comments made
  during IESG review.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce