Subject: RFC 4459 on MTU and Fragmentation Issues with In-the-Network Tunneling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:29:11 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4459

        Title:      MTU and Fragmentation Issues with 
                    In-the-Network Tunneling 
        Author:     P. Savola
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       April 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 32051
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-savola-mtufrag-network-tunneling-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4459.txt

Tunneling techniques such as IP-in-IP when deployed in the middle of
the network, typically between routers, have certain issues regarding
how large packets can be handled: whether such packets would be
fragmented and reassembled (and how), whether Path MTU Discovery
would be used, or how this scenario could be operationally avoided.
This memo justifies why this is a common, non-trivial problem, and
goes on to describe the different solutions and their characteristics
at some length.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce