Subject: Protocol Action: 'Fibre-Channel Routing Information MIB' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:29:07 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Fibre-Channel Routing Information MIB '
   <draft-ietf-imss-fc-rtm-mib-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Internet and Management Support for Storage
 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and David Kessens.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imss-fc-rtm-mib-04.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
   In particular, it describes managed objects for information related
   to routing within a Fibre Channel fabric which is independent of the
   usage of a particular routing protocol.

Working Group Summary
 
   This document was reviewed in the IMSS WG and in Technical Committee
   T11 (the official Fibre Channel standards body).  T11 voted to
   recommend a prior version of this document to the IETF. 

Protocol Quality
 
   The protocol has been reviewed for the imss WG by Keith McCloghrie and
   for the Operations and Management Area by Bert Wijnen.

Note to RFC Editor

Please make the following changes:
 
 1) Append to Section 1 the following paragraph:

NEW:

    The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
    "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
    document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

 2) Add to Normative References the Following

  [RFC2119]   Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
               Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

 3) In Section 12:

OLD:

   It is recommended that implementors consider the security features as
   provided by the SNMPv3 framework (see [RFC3410], section 8),
   including full support for the SNMPv3 cryptographic mechanisms (for
   authentication and privacy).

   Further, deployment of SNMP versions prior to SNMPv3 is NOT
   recommended.  Instead, it is recommended to deploy SNMPv3 and to
   enable cryptographic security.

NEW: 

   It is RECOMMENDED that implementors consider the security features as
   provided by the SNMPv3 framework (see [RFC3410], section 8),
   including full support for the SNMPv3 cryptographic mechanisms (for
   authentication and privacy).

   Further, deployment of SNMP versions prior to SNMPv3 is NOT
   RECOMMENDED.  Instead, it is RECOMMENDED to deploy SNMPv3 and to
   enable cryptographic security.

  4) Section 3, create sub-section 3.1

  Replace OLD: 

    3.  Short Overview of Fibre Channel

  With NEW:

    3.  Short Overview of Fibre Channel

    3.1  Introduction

  5) Section 3, create sub-section 3.2

  Replace OLD: 

     The routing of frames within the Fabric is normally based on the
     standard routing protocol, called the Fabric Shortest Path First
     ...

  With NEW:

     3.2  Routing Protocols

     The routing of frames within the Fabric is normally based on the
     standard routing protocol, called the Fabric Shortest Path First
     ...

  6) Section 3, create sub-section 3.3

  Replace OLD: 

     The latest standard for an interconnecting Fabric containing multiple
     Fabric Switch elements is [FC-SW-4] (which replaces the previous
     ...

  With NEW:

     3.3  Virtual Fabrics

     The latest standard for an interconnecting Fabric containing multiple
     Fabric Switch elements is [FC-SW-4] (which replaces the previous
     ...

IANA Note

IANA is requested to make an MIB OID assignment for the T11-FC-ROUTE-
MIB module under mib-2

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce