Subject: Change of Location of IETF 67

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 22:20:07 -0400

All;

I am writing to inform you of a change of plans regarding the location of IETF
67 this November and the ramifications of this change.

The original plan was to hold IETF 67 in Europe however, it will be now be held
on the West Coast of the United States November 5 - 10, 2006.  The dates are
unchanged.

The reasons for the change:

1.  Delay in Site Identification

As you know, we went through a significant Secretariat transition at the end of
last year, and were only in a position to begin establishing meeting sites for
2006 late last year.  The only meeting with a hotel contact and host agreement
in hand at that time was IETF 65 in Dallas.  When dealing with hotel contracts,
the best time to be selecting a site is significantly more than 12 months from
the event as there are more venues available and your negotiating position is
stronger.   Therefore we moved quickly after the transition was completed. We
were in Montreal 6 days after closure, during Christmas week, and announced
Montreal on March 29th following completion of all necessary agreements.

2.  Few Venues Available

By the end of January we had identified a potential host for the IETF 67
meeting in November. Using a vendor contracted by the potential host we
identified all the suitable venues in Europe only to discover that there were
only 2 or 3 that could meet our 2006 dates.  A couple were eliminated due to
various logistical problems.  One site with a large hotel block and meeting
space was identified and tech and meeting feasibility visits were conducted on
2/28, 3/1 & 3/2.  No other workable sites with our dates were available.

3.  Venue Didn't Work

The site had adequate meeting space, but just would not work for the IETF for a
variety of reasons including remoteness, location, food and beverage practices
and financial risk.  Good faith negotiations over several weeks could not cure
the issues and they were concluded without a contract.

What's Next

We expect to announce a location and host for the US site this month.

We are seeking hosts and identifying 2007 sites for IETF 68 next March in
Europe, and IETF's 69 & 70 in North America or Asia in July and December.

We regret if this causes any difficulties with your participation.  By the
meeting in Montreal we expect to have made considerable progress on the 2007
meeting locations.  We will keep you informed of that progress.

Best regards,
Ray Pelletier
IAD

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce