Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization (mipshop)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 18:30:01 -0400

The Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization 
(mipshop) working group in the Internet Area of the IETF has been 
rechartered. For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or 
the working group Chairs.

+++

Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization (mipshop)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]>
Stefano Faccin <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mipshop/index.html

Description of Working Group:

Mobile IPv6 enables IPv6 mobile nodes to continue using a given "home
address" in spite of changes in its point of attachment to the
network. These changes may cause packet loss, and also represent
overhead traffic on the network. The previous MIPSHOP charter directed
the group to continue work (started by the Mobile IP Working group) on
two technologies to address these issues. Hierarchical Mobile IPv6
(HMIPv6, RFC 4140) reduces the amount and latency of signaling between
a MN, its Home Agent and one or more correspondent nodes. Fast
Handovers for Mobile IPv6 (FMIPv6, RFC 4068) reduces packet loss by
providing fast IP connectivity as soon as the mobile node establishes
a new point of attachment at a new link.

As part of its previous set of work items, MIPSHOP published these two
protocols as experimental RFCs. An information document on how FMIPv6
can operate over IEEE 802.11 was also published as an informational
RFC. Further implementation work by the community has increased the
understanding of how FMIPv6 behaves or should behave on other link
layers, and in general. Similarly, further implementation and
experimentation with HMIPv6 has resulted in better understanding of
the protocol. Accordingly, MIPSHOP will continue work on HMIPv6 and
FMIPv6 in order to prepare their publication as proposed standards.

Additionally, the IEEE 802.21 Media Independent Handoff (MIH) working
group aims at providing services to assist with handoffs between
heterogeneous link-layer technologies, and across IP subnet
boundaries. The information exchanges defined by IEEE 802.21 are
classified as MI (Media Independent) Event Service (MIES), MI Command
Service (MICS), and MI Information Service (MIIS). The MIIS provides
topological and location-related information of service networks. The
MIES provides timely communications of wireless environment
information via the delivery of events originating across the
link-layer or farther away. The MICS is an analogous service for
commands which can change the state of the wireless link or of a
host's point of attachment, potentially triggering further event
generation. MIH services can be delivered through link-layer specific
solutions and/or through a "layer 3 or above" protocol. MIPSHOP will
define the delivery of information for MIH services for this latter
case. Notice that this allows the network information to reside
anywhere (not necessarily across the link-layer hop), and enables MIH
services even in the absence of the corresponding link-layer
support. An L2 or L3 based mechanism to identify a valid information
server is also required; in particular for L3, we expect that any of
the several current L3 discovery mechanisms will be used. A liaison
with IEEE 802.21 has been established, and access to the IEEE 802.21
drafts is granted to mipshop members. Interested members need to send
a request to the WG chairs in order to obtain a copy of the current
IEEE 802.21 draft.

There have been several proposals to improve upon the Return
Routability procedure defined in MIPv6 (RFC 3775), both in terms of
the security of the mechanism as well as with respect to its
performance. In particular, discussions within the MOBOPTS Research
Group of the IRTF have centered on reducing the round trip times
required to complete the procedure, and on increasing the length of
time before the procedure needs to be run again. Some proposals are
mature enough that they will be taken over by MIPSHOP for
standardization.

The WG will be very proactive in seeking AD-coordinated security
reviews of the drafts developed in the WG.

Scope of MIPSHOP:

The working group will:

1. Revise the specification of HMIPv6 (RFC 4140) protocol to
advance it to Proposed Standard. This implies:

* Work on MN-MAP security
* Streamline and refine the current HMIPv6 specification.
* Document: draft-ietf-mipshop-hmipv6-rev-XX.txt

2. Revise the specification of FMIPv6 protocol (RFC 4068) to
advance it to Proposed Standard.

* Work on MN-AR (access router) security using both the AAA
infrastructure, and keys derived from SeND

o Documents:
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa-XX.txt,
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send-XX.txt

* Streamline and refine the current FMIPv6 specification
(draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rev-XX.txt)

3. Work on the application of FMIPv6 on two examples link-layers
for advancement as Informational RFCs:

* IEEE 802.16e (and WiMax), and
* 3G CDMA 2K networks

* Documents: draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e-XX.txt,
draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-XX.txt

4. Produce a document on improving MIPv6 Return Routability via
both Cryptographically Generated Addresses and Credit-based
Authorization for advancement as Proposed Standard

* Documents: draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba-XX.txt

5. Work on areas of mutual interest to IEEE 802.21 and MIPSHOP:

* Produce the required protocol enhancements or
specifications for IP-based support of Media-Independent
Information, Command and Event Services.

* Documents: draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-info-elements-XX.txt
(information elements),
draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support-XX.txt (transport of 802.21
services over IP, including security aspects)

Tackling further work, although possible, requires re-chartering.

Goals and Milestones:

JUN 06 Begin security review on
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send-XX.txt
and draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba-XX.txt

JUN 06 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send-XX.txt

JUN 06 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba-XX.txt

JUN 06 Begin security review on
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa-XX.txt

SEP 06 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send-XX.txt to IESG
for publication as Proposed Standard

SEP 06 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e-XX.txt

OCT 06 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba-XX.txt to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard

OCT 06 Begin security review on HMIPv6 Security draft

OCT 06 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa-XX.txt

NOV 06 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rev-XX.txt

NOV 06 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-info-elements-XX.txt

DEC 06 Working Group Last Call on HMIPv6 Security draft

DEC 06 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-XX.txt

JAN 07 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rev-XX.txt to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard

FEB 07 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e-XX.txt to IESG for
publication as Informational RFC

FEB 07 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-hmipv6-rev-XX.txt

MAR 07 Begin security review of
draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support-XX.txt

MAR 07 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-aaa-XX.txt to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard

MAR 07 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-XX.txt to IESG for publication
as Informational RFC

APR 07 Submit draft on HMIPv6 security to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard

APR 07 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-hmipv6-rev-XX.txt to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard

MAY 07 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-info-elements-XX.txt to IESG
for publication as Proposed Standard

JUL 07 Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support-XX.txt

NOV 07 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support-XX.txt to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce