Subject: Update on RFC Editor and 2006

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 18:17:41 -0400

With apologies for the tardiness of this update -- there
has been plenty of work going on in line with the previously
posted timeline/plan, but I wanted to get enough pieces
aligned to be able to make an update that will be informative
and useful to those not immediately involved in these
pieces.

The updated timeline is copied below.  As a summary, the
process we believe we're following is:

1/ getting appropriate documentation of the RFC Editor functions
   in order for the IASA to be able to carry out a reasonable RFP
   for that activity this summer.  The different pieces involve
   different communities, so the discussions are distributed.
   These include:

    . discussion and documentation of IETF process 

    . discussion of IETF publication requirements (TechSpec --
      document is now in IETF last call; draft-mankin-pub-req)

    . discussion of independent submissions (public discussion
      venue not established yet, but planned;
      draft-klensin-rfc-independent is in circulation)

2/ having the IASA go through an RFI/RFP process.  It's going to
   start while some of the above pieces are in draft form -- see
   timeline below.

Draft timeline/division of labour
=================================

Responsible parties in "[]", where "IASA" is IAD or IAOC as
appropriate.

DONE Mar 14 2006  [IAB]
    Draft RFC Editor charter out for public comment.

DONE Mar 20 2006 [TechSpec/IETF]
    TechSpec meeting

DONE Mar 20 2006 [IAB/IETF]
    Discuss RFC Editor charter

DONE May 8 2006 [TechSpec]
    Target reasonable consensus document

DONE May 8 2006 [IETF]
    Start of 4 week last call of TechSpec document

May 23 2006 [IAB]
    IAB RFC Editor I-D published (draft-iab-rfc-editor)

May 25 2006 [IAB]
    Open public mailing list for discussion of
    Independent Submissions stream  (not yet activated;
    [email-masked] has been requested).

May 26 2006[IASA]
    Request for Vendor Expressions of Interest

Jun 5 2006 [IAB]
    Public (beyond-IETF) announcement of RFC Independent
    Submission meeting plans (@ Montreal IETF)

Jun 6 2006
    Close of last call of TechSpec document

Jun 20 2006[IAB]
    IAB call for input ("last call") on Independent Submissions
    draft for informational RFC, as an IAB document

Jun 21 2006[IASA]
    Vendor Expressions of Interest Due

Jul 10 [IAB] (Week of IETF -- date not fixed)
    Public discussion at IETF of Independent Submissions
    stream proposal. (Jabber/audio for those not attending)

Jul 20[IAB]
     Close of IAB call for Independent Submissions document

Jul 30 2006 [IASA]
    RFP(s) Issued

Aug 15[IAB]
     Revised Independent Submissions document approved by IAB.

Sep 1 2006 [IASA]
    Bids Due

Sep 2006 [IASA]
    Contract Negotiation

Sep 25 2006 [IAB]
    IAB review

Oct 1 2006[IASA]
    Contract(s) Awarded

Oct – Dec [IASA]
    Transition Period

Jan 1 2007
    Contract term begins

Leslie,
For the IAB.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce