Subject: Protocol Action: 'Encapsulation Methods for Transport of PPP/HDLC Over MPLS Networks' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 19:58:36 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Encapsulation Methods for Transport of PPP/HDLC Over MPLS Networks '
   <draft-ietf-pwe3-hdlc-ppp-encap-mpls-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudo Wire Emulation Edge to Edge Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Mark Townsley and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pwe3-hdlc-ppp-encap-mpls-09.txt

* Technical Summary

This draft describes how a Point to Point Protocol (PPP), or High-
Level Data Link Control (HDLC) Protocol Data Units over an
MPLS network without terminating the PPP/HDLC protocol.

This enables service providers to offer "emulated" HDLC, or PPP
link services over existing MPLS networks. This document specifies
the encapsulation of PPP/HDLC Packet Data Units (PDUs) within
a PW.

* Working Group Summary

This work has been thoroughly analysed by the working group
and there is consensus for the design.

* Protocol Quality

There are many implementations of this protocol, and it is
in operational service.

Note to RFC Editor

OLD:

  It is also recommended that PPP devices MUST NOT negotiate PPP MRUs 
  larger than that of the AC MTU. 

NEW:

  It is also RECOMMENDED that the PPP devices be configured to not
  negotiate PPP MRUs larger that of the AC MTU.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce