Subject: RFC 4542 on Implementing an Emergency Telecommunications Service (ETS) for Real-Time Services in the Internet Protocol Suite

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:08:11 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4542

        Title:      Implementing an Emergency Telecommunications Service 
                    (ETS) for Real-Time Services in the 
                    Internet Protocol Suite 
        Author:     F. Baker, J. Polk
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       May 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      42
        Characters: 99770
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4542.txt

RFCs 3689 and 3690 detail requirements for an Emergency
Telecommunications Service (ETS), of which an Internet Emergency
Preparedness Service (IEPS) would be a part.  Some of these types of
services require call preemption; others require call queuing or
other mechanisms.  IEPS requires a Call Admission Control (CAC)
procedure and a Per Hop Behavior (PHB) for the data that meet the needs of
this architecture.  Such a CAC procedure and PHB is
appropriate to any service that might use H.323 or SIP to set up
real-time sessions.  The key requirement is to guarantee an elevated
probability of call completion to an authorized user in time of crisis.

This document primarily discusses supporting ETS in the context of
the US Government and NATO, because it focuses on the Multi-Level
Precedence and Preemption (MLPP) and Government Emergency Telecommunication Service (GETS) standards.  The architectures described 
here are applicable beyond these organizations.  This memo provides 
information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group
Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce