Subject: Protocol Action: 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line 2 (ADSL2)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:32:44 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line 2 
   (ADSL2) '
   <draft-ietf-adslmib-adsl2-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the ADSL MIB Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and David Kessens.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-adslmib-adsl2-05.txt

Technical Summary
 
 This document defines a Management Information Base (MIB) module for use with
network management protocols in the Internet community.  In particular, it
describes objects used for managing parameters of the "Asymmetric Digital
Subscriber Line" family of interface types, especially including ADSL, ADSL2,
and ADSL2+.

Working Group Summary
 
 The WG process was smooth and quick.  There were two minor controversies
raised:

1.  A desire to break out the textual conventions into a separate document. 
This was resolved by using Bert's solution to define the textual conventions
within one document using a separate MIB with the understanding that if it
becomes necessary to break them out into a separate document later, we will
still have that option.  All involved agreed to this.

2.  A desire was voiced to expand and extend the document to cover VDSL2 (a
closely related but critically different technology).  It was agreed that if
there was a desire to support VDSL2, the differences between the technologies
were such that VDSL2 would require a different document. All involved agreed to
this. 

Protocol Quality
 
 The document was reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.

 No information is available about implementations 

Note to RFC Editor

The RFC Editror is kindly asked to make the following changes:
 
1. 

OLD: 

  adsl2TCMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
      LAST-UPDATED "200604250000Z" - April 25, 2006

NEW: 

  adsl2TCMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
      LAST-UPDATED "200604250000Z" -- April 25, 2006

OLD: 

  adsl2MIB MODULE-IDENTITY
      LAST-UPDATED "200604250000Z" - April 25, 2006

NEW: 

  adsl2MIB MODULE-IDENTITY
      LAST-UPDATED "200604250000Z" -- April 25, 2006

2. in the Overview Section:

OLD: 

  The MIB module is located in the MIB tree under MIB 2 transmission,
  as discussed in the MIB-2 Integration (RFC 2863 [RFC2863]) section of
  this document.

NEW:

  The MIB module is located in the MIB tree under MIB 2 transmission,
  as discussed in the IANA Considerations section of this document.

3. 

In Section 2.9

OLD: 

  The ability to generate the SNMP notifications coldStart/WarmStart
  (per [RFC3418]), which are per agent (e.g., per Digital Subscriber
  Line Access Multiplexer, or DSLAM, in such a device), and linkUp/
  linkDown (per [RFC2863]), which are per interface (i.e., ADSL/ADSL2
  or ADSL2+ line) is required.

NEW: 

  The ability to generate the SNMP notifications coldStart/WarmStart
  (per [RFC3418]), which are per agent (e.g., per Digital Subscriber
  Line Access Multiplexer, or DSLAM, in such a device), and linkUp/
  linkDown (per [RFC2863]), which are per interface (i.e., ADSL/ADSL2
  or ADSL2+ line) is REQUIRED.

4. in Section 4 

OLD: 

  A management application intended to manage ADSL links (e.g.,
  G.992.1) with this MIB module MUST be modified to adapt itself to
  certain differences between RFC 2662 [RFC2662] and this MIB module,
  including the following aspects

NEW:

  A management application intended to manage ADSL links (e.g.,
  G.992.1) with this MIB module must be modified to adapt itself to
  certain differences between RFC 2662 [RFC2662] and this MIB module,
  including the following aspects

IANA Note

The ADSL2-LINE-MIB module requires the allocation of a single object identifierfor its MODULE-IDENTITY. The IANA should allocate this object identifier in the
transmission subtree.

The ADSL2-LINE-MIB module uses the ifType value for Asymmetric Digital
Subscriber Loop Version 2, to distinguish between ADSL lines that are managed
with the RFC2662 management model and ADSL/ADSL2 and ADSL2+ lines managed with
the model defined in this document. The value 230 has already been allocated by
IANA for this purpose.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce