Subject: Protocol Action: 'Location Types Registry' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:22:57 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Location Types Registry '
   <draft-ietf-geopriv-location-types-registry-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-location-types-registry-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
  This document creates a registry for location type tokens.  We
   anticipate that the network, through configuration or management
   protocols, tells a mobile device what kind of location it finds
   itself in.  The device and associated software can then tailor its
   behavior to the environment.  For example, this document defines the
   terms "classroom", "place-of-worship" and "theater".  A considerate
   owner of a cell phone might program the device to switch from ringer
   to vibrate mode in such environments.  Just knowing the geographic
   location, be it as civic (street address) or geospatial coordinates
   would generally not allow the device to make a similar decision.

Working Group Summary
 
   This document represents the consensus of the GEOPRIV working 
   group.  There were significant comments during IETF Last Call on
   the internationalization and extensibility of this mechanism.  This
   version clarifies that the registration is for tokens.
    
Protocol Quality
 
  The registry specified by this document has been designed for use
   by many protocols, including the many GEOPRIV specifications and
   standards such as RPID.  This specification incorporates work from
   the Global Justice XML work.  The PROTO Shepherd for the document
   is Andy Newton; the specification was reviewed for the IESG by
   Ted Hardie.

Note to RFC Editor
 
OLD:

   Following the policies outline in RFC 2434 [2], new tokens are
   assigned after Expert Review by the IETF GEOPRIV working group or its
   designated successor.  The same procedure applies to updates of
   tokens within the registry and to deleting tokens from the registry.
   There are no restrictions regarding the update of location-type
   values in the registry.

NEW:

    Following the policies outline in RFC 2434 [2], new tokens are
   assigned after Expert Review.   The Expert Reviewer will generally
   consult the IETF GeoPRIV working group mailing list or its 
   designated successor.  Updates or deletion of tokens from the
   registration follow the same procedures.  There are not restrictions
   regarding the update of location-type values in the registry.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce