Subject: WG Review: IP over IEEE 802.16 Networks (16ng)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 18:19:07 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area. The IESG has
not made any determination as yet.  The following draft charter was submitted,
and is provided for informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to
the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by May 9th.

+++

IP over IEEE 802.16 Networks (16ng)
===================================

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):
TBD

Internet Area Director(s):
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
TBD

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/mailman/listinfo/16ng
Archive: http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/pipermail/16ng

Description of Working Group:

Broadband Wireless Access Networks address the inadequacies of low
bandwidth wireless communication for user requirements such as high
quality data/voice service, wide coverage, etc. The IEEE 802.16
Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access Standards develops
standards and recommended practices to support the development and
deployment of Broadband Wireless Metropolitan Area Networks.

Recently, the WiMAX Forum, and, in particular, its NWG (Network
Working Group) is defining the IEEE 802.16 network architecture.
Similarly, different standard bodies (e.g., WiBro-Wireless Broadband
in Korea) are in the progress of defining network architecture based
on IEEE 802.16.

IEEE 802.16 is different from existing wireless access technologies
such as IEEE 802.11 or 3G because of the existence of multiple
Convergence Sublayers which makes the specification of IP over
IEEE 802.16 non-trivial.

For example: immediately subsequent to network entry, an 802.16
subscriber station has no capability whatsoever for data (as opposed
to management) connectivity. Especially, in IP CS case, the criteria
by which the Base Station (or other headend elements) set up the
802.16 MAC connections for data transport are not part of the 802.16
standard, and depend on the type of data services being offered
(e.g., the set up of link layer connections will be different
or IPv4 and IPv6 services).

Additionally - as IEEE 802.16 is a point-to-multipoint network -
an 802.16 subscriber station is not capable of multicasting (e.g.,
for neighbor discovery, ARP, IP multicasting services, etc.) or
direct communication to the other nodes within the same subnet
(prefix).

The principal objective of the 16ng working group is to specify the
operation of IPv4 and IPv6 over IEEE 802.16, taking into account the
IPv4, IPv6 and Ethernet Convergence Sublayers. The working group may
issue recommendations to IEEE 802.16 aiming at improving support
for IP.

The scope of this working group is as follows (WG Deliverables);

- Produce "16ng Problem Statement, Goal and Requirement" to identify the
16ng problem statement, goal and technical requirement of IP adoption
over IEEE 802.16 along with 16ng related terminology to be used
for the base guideline while defining solution frameworks. [Informational RFC]

- Produce "IPv6 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with IPv6 CS"
to define IPv6 operation including the transmission of IPv6 over IEEE 802.16
link, Neighbor Discovery Protocol, Stateful (DHCPv6) and Stateless Address
Configuration, Broadcast, Multicast, etc. [Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv6 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet CS"
to define IPv6 operation including the transmission of IPv6 over IEEE 802.16
link, Neighbor Discovery Protocol, Stateful (DHCPv6) and Stateless Address
Configuration, Broadcast, Multicast, etc. [Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv4 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with IPv4 CS"
to define IPv4 operation including the transmission of IPv4 over IEEE 802.16
links, ARP operation, Stateful Address Configuration (DHCPv4), Broadcast,
Multicast, etc [Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv4 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet CS"
to define IPv4 operation including the transmission of IPv4 over IEEE 802.16
links, ARP operation, Stateful Address Configuration (DHCPv4), Broadcast,
Multicast, etc [Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IP deployment over IEEE 802.16 Networks" to illustrate the IP
deployment scenarios and considerations over IEEE 802.16 networks based on
the WiMAX and WiBro. [Informational RFC]

16ng will not initially consider other work items than the ones listed
above; however, other works related to improved IP over 16ng may occur
in other relevant WGs, and 16ng will participate and help coordinate
with such efforts.

This working group will take dual stack operation into account
in its specifications, and reuse existing specifications whenever
reasonable and possible.

Goals and Milestones:

Jul 06 Submit Internet-Draft on 16ng Problem Statement, Goal and
Requirement toIESG for considerations of publication as Informational
RFC

Sep 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv6/IPv6CS transmission over IEEE 802.16
networks to IESG for consideration of publication as Proposed
Standard RFC

Oct 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv4/IPv4CS transmission over IEEE 802.16
to IESG for consideration of publication as Proposed Standard RFC

Nov 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv4/EthernetCS transmission over IEEE 802.16
networks to IESG for consideration of publications as Proposed
Standard RFC

Dec 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv6/EthernetCS transmission over IEEE 802.16
networks to IESG for consideration of publication as Proposed
Standard RFC

Feb 07 Submit Internet-Draft on IP deployment over IEEE 802.16 networks to
IESG for consideration of publication as Informational RFC

Mar 07 Working Group close or rechartering if necessary

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce