Subject: Last Call: draft-ietf-msec-mikey-rsa-r'An to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 15:51:51 -0400

The IESG has received a request from the Multicast Security WG to consider the
following document:

- 'An additional mode of key distribution in MIKEY: MIKEY-RSA-R'
   <draft-ietf-msec-mikey-rsa-r-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The document specifies a new MIKEY mode.  The main goal of the new
mode is to address the one-to-many use case, where the transmitter
does not know in advance the certificates of all receivers.  None of
the existing MIKEY modes covers this case.  In the new mode, the
recipient initiates the exchange.  In response, a key comes from the
transmitter of the protected data.  The entire exchange takes one
round trip.  Replay protection is obtained via timestamps, as in other
MIKEY modes.  The mode can also support unicast, where the usability
is roughly the same as existing DH modes.  This new mode allows MIKEY
the same flexibility and usability as other multicast key management
protocols, enabling a single sender to manage keys for a dynamic large
group of recipients.

The document was discussed several times in MSEC WG meetings and on
the MSEC WG mailing list.  The authors have SIP, RTP, and MSEC
expertise.  Several people provided reviews, and at least two of them
were comprehensive.  There were no objections to publishing this
document as a standards-track RFC.

The protocol is specified in sufficient detail to allow independent
implementations.  There are no known implementations, but implementing
MIKEY-RSA-R mode, given a MIKEY-RSA mode implementation is fairly
straightforward.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2006-05-19.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-mikey-rsa-r-04.txt

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce