Subject: Protocol Action: 'Experimental Values In IPv4, IPv6, ICMPv4, ICMPv6, UDP and TCP Headers' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:18:53 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Experimental Values In IPv4, IPv6, ICMPv4, ICMPv6, UDP and TCP Headers '
   <draft-fenner-iana-exp-2780-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fenner-iana-exp-2780-05.txt

Technical Summary
 
   When experimenting with or extending protocols, it is often necessary
   to use some sort of protocol number or constant in order to actually
   test or experiment with the new function, even when testing in a
   closed environment.  This document reserves some ranges of numbers
   for experimentation purposes in specific protocols where the need to
   support experimentation has been identified, and describes the
   numbers that have already been reserved by other documents.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   This document is an individual submission.  It has been reviewed by
   the INT area mailing list and updated based on discussion on that
   list.
 
Protocol Quality

   This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman
   and Jari Arkko.

Note to RFC Editor
 
   Add the following paragraph at the beginning of the Security
   Considerations section:

     Production networks do not necessarily support the use 
     of experimental code points in IP headers. The network 
     scope of support for experimental values should be 
     carefully evaluated before deploying any experiment 
     across extended network domains, such as the public 
     Internet. The potential to disrupt the stable operation
     of the network hosting the experiment through the use 
     of unsupported experimental code points is a serious 
     consideration when planning an experiment using such
     code points.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce