Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (dccp)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:24:40 -0400

A modified charter has been submitted for the Datagram Congestion Control
Protocol (dccp) working group in the Transport Area of the IETF.  The IESG has
not made any determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list
([email-masked]) by July 3rd.

+++

Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (dccp)
============================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Thomas Phelan <[email-masked]>
Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Director(s):
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> Lars Eggert
<[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Advisor:
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: (un)subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dccp/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Datagram Congestion Control Protocol working group is maintaining the
Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP).

DCCP is a minimal, general-purpose transport protocol that provides two main
functions: (1) the establishment, maintenance and tear-down of an unreliable
packet flow and (2) congestion control of that packet flow.

The DCCP WG is chartered to work in four areas:

* maintenance of the core DCCP protocol
* maintenance of the TFRC congestion control protocol
* promoting the use of DCCP by upper layers
* modular extensions to DCCP

In the first area, the WG focuses on maintenance issues (i.e., bug
fixes) to the current DCCP specifications. It also provides the venue for moving
the DCCP specifications along the Standards Track. To maintain stable
specifications, work in this area is tightly controlled and requires strong
justification.

The second area of work, maintains the TCP Friendly Rate Control
(TFRC) congestion control protocol. This includes identification of issues, bug
fixes, and progression of the specification along the Standards Track.

In the third area, the WG will promote and support the adoption and use of DCCP
by upper-layer applications and protocols. This includes specifications for
using existing and emerging protocols and applications with DCCP (such as RTP
over DCCP and DTLS over DCCP) as well as supporting documents that enhance DCCP
deployment and management.

In the fourth area, the WG identifies and develops modular extensions to the
DCCP specifications that increase the usefulness of DCCP. The goal of this work
is to make DCCP attractive to upper-layer protocols and applications. The WG
will consider both requirements brought to it from external groups that develop
or use upper-layer protocols and applications and may also itself identify a
limited number of prospective applications and upper-layer protocols to
investigate. 
This work will provide refinements to the existing congestion control schemes
currently provided by DCCP and may also include, for example, mobility support
for DCCP. (The acceptance of new work items on mobility requires the approval of
the IESG.) This work includes the provision of new congestion control profiles,
which are variants of existing ones, that better serve certain applications, for
example, interactive applications. The WG may consider to recharter in the
future to support the IRTF Internet Congestion Control Research Group
(ICCRG) in the development of new congestion control algorithms through the
definition of concrete specifications for these algorithms.

New work items in the latter two areas must satisfy four conditions: 
(1) WG consensus on the suitability and projected quality of the proposed work
item. (2) A core group of WG participants with sufficient energy and expertise
to advance the work item according to the proposed schedule. (3) Commitment from
the WG as a whole to provide sufficient and timely review of the proposed work
item. (4) Agreement by the AD, who, depending on the scope of the proposed work
item, may decide that an IESG review is needed first.

The DCCP WG pursues its work in close collaboration with several other IETF WGs
and IRTF RGs, including TSVWG, AVT, MMUSIC, BEHAVE, ICCRG and TMRG.

Milestones:

Jun 2006 Complete WGLC draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip as Experimental 
Dec 2006 Complete WGLC draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-faster-restart as Experimental 
Dec 2006 Complete WGLC "RTP over DCCP" as PS 
Feb 2007 Complete WGLC "DCCP CCID4: TFRC with Small Packets" as Experimental 
Feb 2007 Complete WGLC draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-media as Informational 
Jun 2007 Complete WGLC draft-ietf-dccp-user-guide as Informational 
Jun 2007 Complete WGLC "DTLS over DCCP" as PS

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce