Subject: RFC 4562 on MAC-Forced Forwarding: A Method for Subscriber Separation on an Ethernet Access Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:26:22 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4562

        Title:      MAC-Forced Forwarding: A Method for 
                    Subscriber Separation on an Ethernet Access 
                    Network 
        Author:     T. Melsen, S. Blake
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       June 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 30332
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-melsen-mac-forced-fwd-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4562.txt

This document describes a mechanism to ensure layer-2 separation of
Local Area Network (LAN) stations accessing an IPv4 gateway over a
bridged Ethernet segment.

The mechanism - called "MAC-Forced Forwarding" - implements an Address
Resolution Protocol (ARP) proxy function that prohibits Ethernet Media
Access Control (MAC) address resolution between hosts located within the 
same IPv4 subnet but at different customer premises, and in effect 
directs all upstream traffic to an IPv4 gateway.  The IPv4 gateway 
provides IP-layer connectivity between these same hosts.  This memo 
provides information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce