Subject: RFC 4422 on Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:51:19 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4422

        Title:      Simple Authentication and Security Layer 
                    (SASL) 
        Author:     A. Melnikov, Ed.,
                    K. Zeilenga, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       June 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      33
        Characters: 73206
        Obsoletes:  RFC2222
        See-Also:   

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sasl-rfc2222bis-15.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4422.txt

The Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) is a framework for
providing authentication and data security services in
connection-oriented protocols via replaceable mechanisms.  It provides
a structured interface between protocols and mechanisms.  The
resulting framework allows new protocols to reuse existing mechanisms
and allows old protocols to make use of new mechanisms.  The framework
also provides a protocol for securing subsequent protocol exchanges
within a data security layer.

This document describes how a SASL mechanism is structured, describes
how protocols include support for SASL, and defines the protocol for
carrying a data security layer over a connection.  In addition, this
document defines one SASL mechanism, the EXTERNAL mechanism.

This document obsoletes RFC 2222.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Simple Authentication and Security Layer
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce