Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:42:47 -0400

A modified charter has been submitted for the Mobility for IPv4 (mip4) working
group in the Internet Area of the IETF. The IESG has not made any determination
as yet. The modified charter is provided below for informational purposes only.
Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by July 3rd.

+++

Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)
===========================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Peter McCann <[email-masked]>
Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip4/index.html

Description of Working Group:

IP mobility support for IPv4 nodes (hosts and routers) is specified in RFC3344.
RFC 3344 mobility allows a node to continue using its "permanent" home address
as it moves around the Internet. The Mobile IP protocols support transparency
above the IP layer, including maintenance of active TCP connections and UDP port
bindings.Besides the basic Mobile IPv4 (MIPv4) protocols, several other drafts
deal with concerns such as optimization, security, extensions, AAA support, and
deployment issues.

MIPv4 is currently being deployed on a wide basis (e.g., in cdma2000 networks).
The scope of the deployment is on a fairly large scale and accordingly, the MIP4
WG will focus on deployment issues and on addressing known deficiencies and
shortcomings in the protocol that have come up as a result of deployment
experience. Specifically, the working group will complete the work items to
facilitate interactions with AAA environments, interactions with enterprise
environments when
MIPv4 is used therein, and updating existing protocol specifications in
accordance with deployment needs and advancing those protocols that are on the
standards track.

Work expected to be done by the MIP4 WG as proposed by this charter is as
follows:

1. MIPv4 has been a proposed standard for several years. It has been adopted by
other standard development organizations and has been deployed commercially. One
of the next steps for the WG is to advance the protocol to draft standard
status. As part of advancing base Mobile IP specs to DS, the MIPv4 NAI RFC
(2794) will be revised to reflect implementation experience

2. Work items that are pending from the previous Mobile IP WG, which will be
completed by the MIP4 WG, are:

- completion of the MIB for the revised base Mobile IP specification (2006bis)

- regional registration draft.

3. The MIP4 WG will also complete the work on MIPv4 interactions in VPN
scenarios. This work will involve identifying the requirements and a solution
development for MIPv4 operation in the presence of IPsec VPNs.

4. Additionally, a proposal has been made for how MOBIKE could work together
with MIPv4. This proposal does not describe any new protocol, but formulates a
best current practice for deploying MOBIKE together with MIPv4. The working
group will adopt and complete this document.

5. Some issues have been raised with respect to RFC3519. These will be
identified and addressed as appropriate, through errata, revision of RFC 3519,
and/or supplemental documents as needed.

6. It has been proposed that the FMIP protocol, which has been standardised for
MIPv6 in the MIPSHOP working group, should also be published as an experimental
protocol for MIPv4. A draft for this exists. The working group will take up and
carry this work forward to publication

7. An extension to carry generic strings in the Registration Reply message has
been proposed. The purpose is to supply supplemental human-readable information
intended to the MN user. The working group will complete the specification and
applicability statement of such an extension.

8. RADIUS attributes for MIP4. A set of RADIUS attributes has been proposed for
MIPv4.

The working group will first produce a requirements specification, describing
how the work differs from the requirements in RFC 2977 and the functionality
provided by RFC 4004 (the MIPv4 Diameter App).
The reason why this first step is required is that RFC 3127 pretty clearly shows
that full 2977 functionality can't be provided by even a considerably extended
RADIUS, so we need to match the requirements to what can be done within RADIUS.

Provided the requirements work finds approval with ADs and radext, the
workgroup will complete the specification of MIPv4 RADIUS attributes, solicit
feedback from the Radius Extensions WG, adjust, and submit this for publication.

9. MIPv4 Extension for Configuration Options.

Several drafts have proposed extensions to help improve configuration of MIPv4
clients. The latest proposal is for a general configuration option extension
which could carry information such as e.g., DNS address and DHCP server address.
The working group will take on and complete one proposal for a configuration
option extension.

10. Dual-stack Support

There have been several proposals for how to enable an IPv6 connection over a
network that supports Mobile IPv4. The basic idea is to include an IPv6 address
in the Mobile IPv4 signaling messages. The working group will take on and
complete one proposal for IPv6 over Mobile IPv4.

Goals and Milestones:

Done AAA Keys for MIPv4 to IESG
Done MIPv4 VPN interaction problem statement to IESG 
Done Low latency handover to experimental 
Done Experimental MIPv4 message and extensions draft to IESG 
Done Dynamic Home Agent assignment protocol solution to IESG 
Done Revised MIPv4 Challenge/Response (3012bis) to IESG 
Done Regional registration document to IESG 
Jul 2006 MIPv4 Mobike interaction (BCP) to the IESG 
Jul 2006 MIPv4 VPN interaction (BCP) to the IESG 
Jul 2006 RADIUS Extensions for MIPv4 to the RADEXT WG for comment 
Jul 2006 Generic Strings for MIPv4 (Proposed Std.) to the IESG 
Aug 2006 Revised MIPv4 specification to IESG for Draft Std.
Aug 2006 MIPv4 Extension for Config. Options (Proposed Std.) to the IESG 
Sep 2006 FMIPv4 (Experimental) to the IESG 
Sep 2006 MIPv4 RADIUS Extensions Requirements to the IESG 
Sep 2006 RADIUS Extensions for MIPv4 (Proposed Std.) to the IESG 
Nov 2006 Revised rfc2794bis (NAI extension) (Draft Std.) to the IESG 
Dec 2006 Revised MIB for MIPv4 (Proposed Std.) to IESG 
Dec 2006 Dual-stack MIPv4 (Proposed Std.) to IESG

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce