Subject: Document Action: 'Service Requirements for Layer 2 Provider Provisioned Virtual Private Networks' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:16:30 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Service Requirements for Layer 2 Provider Provisioned Virtual Private 
   Networks '
   <draft-ietf-l2vpn-requirements-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Mark Townsley and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-requirements-07.txt

Technical Summary

This document provides requirements for Layer 2 Provider Provisioned 
Virtual Private Networks (L2VPNs).  It first provides taxonomy and 
terminology and states generic and general service requirements.  It 
covers point-to-point VPNs referred to as Virtual Private Wire 
Service (VPWS), as well as multipoint-to-multipoint VPNs also known 
as Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS).  Detailed requirements are 
expressed from a customer as well as a service provider perspective. 

Working Group Summary

There was little controversy in creation of L2VPN requirements.

Protocol Quality

Thomas Narten, when acting as co-chair of the Internet Area, has
reviewed the I-D and provided valuable input to improve the quality
of the document. The document was also reviewed by Mark Townsley.

A significant number of vendors have implemented, and a large
number of SP's have deployed, L2VPN protocols based on
requirements contained within this document.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce