Subject: Document Action: 'Transferring MIB Work from IETF Bridge MIB WG to IEEE 802.1 WG' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:59:10 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Transferring MIB Work from IETF Bridge MIB WG to IEEE 802.1 WG '
   <draft-harrington-8021-mib-transition-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-harrington-8021-mib-transition-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This document describes the plan to transition responsibility for
   bridging-related MIB modules from the IETF Bridge WG to the IEEE
   802.1 WG, which develops the bridging technology the MIB modules are
   designed to manage. 

Working Group Summary
 
   This is not an IETF Working Group document.
   However, this MIB transition plan has been discussed extensively.

   The transition plan was discussed in the Bridge WG at IETF61, and
   included a presentation "Bridge MIB Transition to IEEE 802.ppt"
   available in the proceedings.

   The intent to transition was also posted on the Bridge WG mailing
   list during notices of the Bridge WG closure, including the WG Action
   announcement of February 15, 2006.

   The transition was discussed with the 802.1 WG at the San Antonio,
   San Francisco, and Garden Grove meetings.  Presentations are
   available in http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2004/
   new-bridge-mib-transition-1104.ppt, http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/
   public/docs2005/liaison-ietf-congdon-0705.pdf, and http://
   www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2005/
   liaison-ietf-congdon-0905.pdf. 

Protocol Quality
 
   A 2-week IETF Last Call has been performed for IETF-wide review.
   IEEE 802.1 has also been informed of that IETF Last Call.

   Bert Wijnen has reviewed this document for the IESG.

   Jorge Contreras performed the legal counsel expert review.

Note to RFC Editor
 
1. In Section 5.2:

OLD

    For a detailed overview of the documents that describe the current
    Internet-Standard Management Framework, please refer to section 7 of
    RFC 3410 [RFC3410].

    Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
    the Management Information Base or MIB.  MIB objects are generally
    accessed through the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).
    Objects in the MIB are defined using the mechanisms defined in the
    Structure of Management Information (SMI).  This memo specifies a
    MIB module that is compliant to the SMIv2, which is described in
    STD 58, RFC 2578 [RFC2578], STD 58, RFC 2579 [RFC2579] and
    STD 58, RFC 2580 [RFC2580].

NEW

    "For a detailed overview of the documents that describe the current
    Internet-Standard Management Framework, please refer to section 7 of
    RFC 3410 [RFC3410].

    Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
    the Management Information Base or MIB.  MIB objects are generally
    accessed through the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP).
    Objects in the MIB are defined using the mechanisms defined in the
    Structure of Management Information (SMI).  This memo specifies a
    MIB module that is compliant to the SMIv2, which is described in
    STD 58, RFC 2578 [RFC2578], STD 58, RFC 2579 [RFC2579] and
    STD 58, RFC 2580 [RFC2580]."

2. Add to the Informative References section the following: 

   [RFC2578] McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
             Rose, M. and S. Waldbusser, "Structure of Management
             Information Version 2 (SMIv2)", STD 58, RFC 2578, April
             1999.

   [RFC2579] McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
             Rose, M. and S. Waldbusser, "Textual Conventions for
             SMIv2", STD 58, RFC 2579, April 1999.

   [RFC2580] McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J.,
             Rose, M. and S. Waldbusser, "Conformance Statements for
             SMIv2", STD 58, RFC 2580, April 1999.

   [RFC3410] Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D. and B. Stewart,
             "Introduction and Applicability Statements for Internet-
             Standard Management Framework", RFC 3410, December 2002.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce