Subject: RFC 4551 on IMAP Extension for Conditional STORE Operation or Quick Flag Changes Resynchronization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:41:58 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4551

        Title:      IMAP Extension for Conditional STORE 
                    Operation or Quick Flag Changes Resynchronization 
        Author:     A. Melnikov, S. Hole
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       June 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 50265
        Updates:    RFC3501
        See-Also:   

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-imapext-condstore-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4551.txt

Often, multiple IMAP (RFC 3501) clients need to coordinate changes to
a common IMAP mailbox.  Examples include different clients working on
behalf of the same user, and multiple users accessing shared mailboxes.
These clients need a mechanism to synchronize state changes for messages
within the mailbox.  They must be able to guarantee that only one client
can change message state (e.g., message flags) at any time.  An
example of such an application is use of an IMAP mailbox as a message
queue with multiple dequeueing clients.

The Conditional Store facility provides a protected update mechanism for
message state information that can detect and resolve conflicts between
multiple writing mail clients.

The Conditional Store facility also allows a client to quickly
resynchronize mailbox flag changes.

This document defines an extension to IMAP (RFC 3501).  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Internet Message Access Protocol 
Extension Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce