Subject: RFC 4585 on Extended RTP Profile for Real-time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP)-Based Feedback (RTP/AVPF)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:02:38 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4585

        Title:      Extended RTP Profile for Real-time 
                    Transport Control Protocol (RTCP)-Based Feedback 
                    (RTP/AVPF) 
        Author:     J. Ott, S. Wenger,
                    N. Sato, C. Burmeister,
                    J. Rey
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       July 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      51
        Characters: 117762
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-feedback-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4585.txt

Real-time media streams that use RTP are, to some degree, resilient
against packet losses.  Receivers may use the base mechanisms of the
Real-time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP) to report packet reception
statistics and thus allow a sender to adapt its transmission behavior
in the mid-term.  This is the sole means for feedback and feedback-based 
error repair (besides a few codec-specific mechanisms).  This document
defines an extension to the Audio-visual Profile (AVP) that enables
receivers to provide, statistically, more immediate feedback to the
senders and thus allows for short-term adaptation and efficient
feedback-based repair mechanisms to be implemented.  This early
feedback profile (AVPF) maintains the AVP bandwidth constraints for
RTCP and preserves scalability to large groups.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce