Subject: Document Action: 'Terminology for Benchmarking Network-layer Traffic Control Mechanisms' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:39:02 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Terminology for Benchmarking Network-layer Traffic Control Mechanisms '
   <draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-13.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Kessens and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-13.txt

Technical Summary
 
 This document describes terminology for the benchmarking of                
 devices that implement traffic control based on IP precedence or           
 Diffserv code point criteria.  The terminology is to be applied            
 to measurements made on the data plane to evaluate IP traffic              
 control mechanisms.                                                        
                                                                               
 New terminology is needed because most existing measurements               
 assume the absence of congestion and only a single per-hop-                
 behavior.  This document introduces several new terms that will            
 allow measurements to be taken during periods of congestion.               
                                                                               
 Another key difference from existing terminology is the definition         
 of measurements as observed on egress as well as ingress of a              
 device/system under test.  Again, the existence of congestion              
 requires the addition of egress measurements as well as those              
 taken on ingress; without observing traffic leaving a                      
 device/system it is not possible to say whether traffic-control            
 mechanisms effectively dealt with congestion. 

 The principal measurements introduced in this document are vectors         
 for rate, delay, and jitter, all of which can be observed with or          
 without congestion of the DUT/SUT. 

Working Group Summary
 
 This document is a product of the BMWG WG.  The WG has consensus              
 to publish this document as an Informational RFC.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 This document was reviewed by David Kessens for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce