Subject: Protocol Action: 'RADIUS Authentication Client MIB for IPV6' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:40:48 -0400

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'RADIUS Authentication Server MIB for IPv6 '
   <draft-ietf-radext-rfc2619bis-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'RADIUS Authentication Client MIB for IPV6 '
   <draft-ietf-radext-rfc2618bis-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

These documents are products of the RADIUS EXTensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and David Kessens.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-radext-rfc2618bis-04.txt

Technical Summary
 
The two documents in this set represent a portion of the Management Information
Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
The documents cover the RADIUS protocol [RFC2865] client and server functions.
The RADIUS MIB documents are Standards Track.  The scope of the revisions in
thecurrent set of Internet Drafts includes adding capabilities to handle IPv6
address formats, adding UNITS and REFERENCE clauses to selected objects, and
generally updating the MIB and Internet Draft boilerplate, and the Security
Considerations.  Certain objects have been deprecated and backwards
compatibility with the existing RFCs and MIBs has been maintained, as these
MIBsare widely deployed.  The two Internet Drafts in this set will obsolete
their
respective RFCs when approved.

Working Group Summary
 
The Working Group initially took the approach of augmenting the existing MIBs
and updating the existing RFCs.  Early MIB Doctor review indicated that the
MIBsshould be revised and the existing RFCs obsoleted.  There is no significant
technical content in these documents, but rather a straightforward revision to
support IP version neutral address formats.  Most of the discussion on these
drafts was related to MIB design guidelines and "nits".  The only MIB Doctor
comment that was not resolved was a recommendation to root the MODULE-IDENTITY
objects in these four drafts directly under mib-2 OID, but that would break
backwards compatibility with existing OID trees in widely deployed MIBs. This
resolution was accepted by the MIB Doctor.

Protocol Quality
 
The existing two MIB modules are widely deployed. It is expected that many
vendors will implement the revised MIBs as the systems which contain RADIUS
[accounting] clients and servers are enhanced to support IPv6.  Several WG
members responded to informal polls at IETF meetings indicating their interest
in implementing these MIBs.  The overall protocol quality of these MIBs has
beenenhanced by detailed review by MIB Doctors: Dave Harrington, C.M. Heard and
Dan
Romascanu.

Note to RFC Editor
 
 Please make the following change in the Abstract:

OLD: 

   This memo defines a set of extensions, which instrument RADIUS
   authentication client functions.  These extensions represent a
   portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for use with network
   management protocols in the Internet community.  Using these
   extensions IP-based management stations can manage RADIUS
   authentication clients.

NEW: 

   This memo defines a set of extensions, which instrument RADIUS
   authentication client functions.  These extensions represent a
   portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for use with network
   management protocols in the Internet community.  Using these
   extensions, IP-based management stations can manage RADIUS
   authentication clients.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce