Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (dccp)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:00:01 -0400

The Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (dccp) working group in the
Transport Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information, 
please contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (dccp)
============================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Thomas Phelan <[email-masked]>
Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Director(s):
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Advisor:
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: (un)subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dccp/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Datagram Congestion Control Protocol working group is maintaining the
Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP).

DCCP is a minimal, general-purpose transport protocol that provides two main
functions: (1) the establishment, maintenance and tear-down of an unreliable 
packet flow and (2) congestion control of that packet flow.

The DCCP WG is chartered to work in four areas:

* maintenance of the core DCCP protocol
* maintenance of the TFRC congestion control protocol
* promoting the use of DCCP by upper layers
* modular extensions to DCCP

In the first area, the WG focuses on maintenance issues (i.e., bug
fixes) to the current DCCP specifications. It also provides the venue for 
moving the DCCP specifications along the Standards Track. To maintain stable 
specifications, work in this area is tightly controlled and requires strong 
justification.

The second area of work, maintains the TCP Friendly Rate Control
(TFRC) congestion control protocol. This includes identification of issues, 
bug fixes, and progression of the specification along the Standards Track.

In the third area, the WG will promote and support the adoption and use of
DCCP by upper-layer applications and protocols. This includes specifications 
for using existing and emerging protocols and applications with DCCP (such as 
RTP over DCCP and DTLS over DCCP) as well as supporting documents that 
enhance DCCP deployment and management.

In the fourth area, the WG identifies and develops modular extensions to the 
DCCP specifications that increase the usefulness of DCCP. The goal of this 
work is to make DCCP attractive to upper-layer protocols and applications. 
The WG will consider both requirements brought to it from external groups 
that develop or use upper-layer protocols and applications and may also 
itself identify a limited number of prospective applications and upper-layer 
protocols to investigate. 

This work will provide refinements to the existing congestion control schemes 
currently provided by DCCP and may also include, for example, mobility 
support for DCCP. (The acceptance of new work items on mobility requires the 
approval of the IESG.) This work includes the provision of new congestion 
control profiles, which are variants of existing ones, that better serve 
certain applications, for example, interactive applications. The WG may 
consider to recharter in the future to support the IRTF Internet Congestion 
Control Research Group (ICCRG) in the development of new congestion control 
algorithms through the definition of concrete specifications for these 
algorithms.

New work items in the latter two areas must satisfy four conditions: 
(1) WG consensus on the suitability and projected quality of the proposed 
work item. (2) A core group of WG participants with sufficient energy and 
expertise to advance the work item according to the proposed schedule. (3) 
Commitment from the WG as a whole to provide sufficient and timely review of 
the proposed work item. (4) Agreement by the AD, who, depending on the scope 
of the proposed work item, may decide that an IESG review is needed first.

The DCCP WG pursues its work in close collaboration with several other IETF 
WGs and IRTF RGs, including TSVWG, AVT, MMUSIC, BEHAVE, ICCRG and TMRG.

Milestones:

Jun 2006 Complete WGLC draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip as Experimental 
Dec 2006 Complete WGLC draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-faster-restart as Experimental
Dec 2006 Complete WGLC "RTP over DCCP" as PS 
Feb 2007 Complete WGLC "DCCP CCID4: TFRC with Small Packets" as Experimental
Feb 2007 Complete WGLC draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-media as Informational 
Jun 2007 Complete WGLC draft-ietf-dccp-user-guide as Informational 
Jun 2007 Complete WGLC "DTLS over DCCP" as PS

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce