Subject: Document Action: 'RTP Payload Format for H.263 using RFC2190 to Historic status' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:40:28 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RTP Payload Format for H.263 using RFC2190 to Historic status '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rfc2190-to-historic-06.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons is Cullen Jennings. Thank you to Colin Perkins
for review. 

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rfc2190-to-historic-06.txt

Technical Summary

The RTP Payload Format defined in RFC 2190 supports only the 1996 version of
H.263. Implementations supporting the 1998 (or later) versions of H.263 must
useRFC 2429 or its successor. This draft marks RFC 2190 as historic, to reduce
the
confusion about which version of the RTP Payload Format to use in new
implementations.

Working Group Summary

RFC 2190 was deprecated by the working group in 1998, with the publication of
RFC 2429. With the impending publication of 2429bis, there is clear consensus
inthe working group to formally mark RFC 2190 as historic.

Protocol Quality

The request to mark RFC 2190 as historic has been reviewed by Colin Perkins.
There are existing (old) implementations of RFC 2190 - the aim of this draft is
to prevent new implementations of it!

Note to RFC Editor
 
We would recommend holding this publication until we have an RFC number for
rfc2429bis. Please mark RFC 2190 as historic when this is published. 

Please add the following text after the last paragraph in Section 3: 

  This recommendation will come into effect at the publication or as soon as 
  possible after the publication of rfc2429-bis [rfc2429bis].

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce