Subject: Document Action: 'RADIUS Accounting Client MIB for IPv6' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:14:08 -0400

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'RADIUS Accounting Server MIB for IPv6 '
   <draft-ietf-radext-rfc2621bis-04.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'RADIUS Accounting Client MIB for IPv6 '
   <draft-ietf-radext-rfc2620bis-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

These documents are products of the RADIUS EXTensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and David Kessens.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-radext-rfc2620bis-04.txt

Technical Summary
 
The two documents in this set represent a portion of the Management Information
Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
The documents cover the RADIUS Accounting protocol [RFC2866] client and server
functions.  The RADIUS Accounting MIB documents are Informational.  The scope
ofthe revisions in the current set of Internet Drafts includes adding
capabilitiesto handle IPv6 address formats, adding UNITS and REFERENCE clauses
to selected
objects, and generally updating the MIB and Internet Draft boilerplate, and the
Security Considerations.  Certain objects have been deprecated and backwards
compatibility with the existing RFCs and MIBs has been maintained, as these
MIBsare widely deployed.  The four Internet Drafts in this set will obsolete
their
respective RFCs when approved.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The Working Group initially took the approach of augmenting the existing MIBs
and updating the existing RFCs.  Early MIB Doctor review indicated that the
MIBsshould be revised and the existing RFCs obsoleted.  There is no significant
technical content in these documents, but rather a straightforward revision to
support IP version neutral address formats.  Most of the discussion on these
drafts was related to MIB design guidelines and "nits".  The only MIB Doctor
comment that was not resolved was a recommendation to root the MODULE-IDENTITY
objects in these four drafts directly under mib-2 OID, but that would break
backwards compatibility with existing OID trees in widely deployed MIBs. This
solution was agreed by the MIB Doctor. 

Protocol Quality
 
The existing two MIB modules are widely deployed.   It is expected that many
vendors will implement the revised MIBs as the systems which contain RADIUS
accounting clients and servers are enhanced to support IPv6.  Several WG
membersresponded to informal polls at IETF meetings indicating their interest
inimplementing these MIBs.  The overall protocol quality of these MIBs has been
enhanced by detailed review by MIB Doctors: Dave Harrington, C.M. Heard and Dan
Romascanu.

Note to RFC Editor
 
 Please make the following change Section 4 of
draft-ietf-radext-rfc2620bis-04.txt

OLD: 

   This document obsoletes RFC 2620 [RFC2620], RADIUS Authentication
   Client MIB, by deprecating the radiusAuthServerTable table and adding
   a new table, radiusAuthServerExtTable, containing
   radiusAuthServerInetAddressType, radiusAuthServerInetAddress, and
   radiusAuthClientServerInetPortNumber.

NEW:
 
    This document obsoletes RFC 2620 [RFC2620], RADIUS Accounting
    Client MIB, by deprecating the radiusAccServerTable table and adding
    a new table, radiusAccServerExtTable, containing
    radiusAccServerInetAddressType, radiusAccServerInetAddress, and
    radiusAccClientServerInetPortNumber.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce