Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Conference Bridge Transcoding Model' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:11:34 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Conference Bridge Transcoding 
   Model '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-transc-conf-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal 
Investigation Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-transc-conf-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document describes how to invoke transcoding services using the
conference bridge model. This way of invocation meets the
requirements for SIP regarding transcoding services invocation to
support deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired individuals.

The Framework for Transcoding with SIP describes how two SIP
UAs (User Agents) can discover imcompatibilities that prevent them
from establishing a session (e.g., lack of support for a common 
codec or for a common media type). When such incompatibilities are found,
the UAs need to invoke transcoding services to successfully 
establish the session. The transcoding framework introduces two models to
invoke transcoding services: the 3pcc (third-party call control)
model and the conference bridge model. This document specifies
the conference bridge model.

In the conference bridge model for transcoding invocation, a
transcoding server that provides a particular transcoding service
(e.g., speech-to-text) behaves as a B2BUA (Back-to-Back User Agent)
between both UAs and is identified by a URI. The UAs do not exchange
any traffic (signalling or media) directly between them
 
Working Group Summary

This document was developed in the SIPPING working group, in large 
part to address requirements raised by related work dealing with 
conferencing for the hearing-impaired. The document was initially 
presented as an individual conFrom [email-masked] Mon Aug 21 16:05:14 2006
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:11:34 -0400
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>,
	sipping chair <[email-masked]>,
	RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
 Conference Bridge Transcoding Model' to Proposed Standard 

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Conference Bridge Transcoding 
   Model '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-transc-conf-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal 
Investigation Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-transc-conf-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document describes how to invoke transcoding services using the
conference bridge model. This way of invocation meets the
requirements for SIP regarding transcoding services invocation to
support deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired individuals.

The Framework for Transcoding with SIP describes how two SIP
UAs (User Agents) can discover imcompatibilities that prevent them
from establishing a session (e.g., lack of support for a common 
codec or for a common media type). When such incompatibilities are found,
the UAs need to invoke transcoding services to successfully 
establish the session. The transcoding framework introduces two models to
invoke transcoding services: the 3pcc (third-party call control)
model and the conference bridge model. This document specifies
the conference bridge model.

In the conference bridge model for transcoding invocation, a
transcoding server that provides a particular transcoding service
(e.g., speech-to-text) behaves as a B2BUA (Back-to-Back User Agent)
between both UAs and is identified by a URI. The UAs do not exchange
any traffic (signalling or media) directly between them
 
Working Group Summary

This document was developed in the SIPPING working group, in large 
part to address requirements raised by related work dealing with 
conferencing for the hearing-impaired. The document was initially 
presented as an individual contribution, was adopted by the WG, and 
went through several iterations as a working group document before 
being formally reviewed in a working-group last call and developing a 
consensus on publication.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson. There are
believed to be several implementations of this approach either in-use or
demonstrated at interoperability events.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce