Subject: Protocol Action: 'An additional mode of key distribution in MIKEY: MIKEY-RSA-R' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:17:59 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'An additional mode of key distribution in MIKEY: MIKEY-RSA-R '
   <draft-ietf-msec-mikey-rsa-r-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multicast Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Sam Hartman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-mikey-rsa-r-07.txt

Technical Summary

  The document specifies a new MIKEY mode.  The main goal of the new
  mode is to address the one-to-many use case, where the transmitter
  does not know in advance the certificates of all receivers.  None of
  the existing MIKEY modes covers this case.  In the new mode, the
  recipient initiates the exchange.  In response, a key comes from the
  transmitter of the protected data.  The entire exchange takes one
  round trip.  Replay protection is obtained via timestamps, as in other
  MIKEY modes.  The mode can also support unicast, where the usability
  is roughly the same as existing DH modes.  This new mode allows MIKEY
  the same flexibility and usability as other multicast key management
  protocols, enabling a single sender to manage keys for a dynamic large
  group of recipients.

Working Group Summary

  The document was discussed several times in MSEC WG meetings and on
  the MSEC WG mailing list.  The authors have SIP, RTP, and MSEC
  expertise.  Several people provided reviews, and at least two of them
  were comprehensive.  There were no objections to publishing this
  document as a standards-track RFC.

Protocol Quality

  The protocol is specified in sufficient detail to allow independent
  implementations.  There are no known implementations, but implementing
  MIKEY-RSA-R mode, given a MIKEY-RSA mode implementation is fairly
  straightforward.

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce