Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Robust Header Compression (rohc)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:50:01 -0400

The Robust Header Compression (rohc) working group in the Transport
Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information, please
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

Robust Header Compression (rohc)
==================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Lars-Erik Jonsson <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Director(s):
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> 
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Advisor:
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> 

Technical Advisor(s):
Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]> 
Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rohc/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Robust Header Compression (ROHC) Working Group was formed to develop
new header compression protocols, designed to suit today's and future 
target link technologies. Most specifically, the ROHC protocols were to 
take into account typical needs presented by various wireless link 
technologies, and perform well for cellular links built using 
technologies such as WCDMA, EDGE, and CDMA-2000. Protocol development 
has thus focused on coping with issues such as high loss rates and long 
round trip times. 

The WG has specified a common compression protocol platform, the ROHC 
framework, along with a number of compression protocols (profiles). Most 
focus has been on compression of the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) 
headers, but profiles have also been specified for compression of UDP, 
ESP, IP-only, UDP-Lite, and TCP headers. The WG has further produced a 
ROHC link integration specification for PPP, an optimized RTP 
compression scheme for "0-byte compression", a ROHC MIB, as well as 
various informational documents related to ROHC header compression 
and/or header compression in general. 

In addition to the work on header compression, the ROHC WG has also 
developed the SigComp (Signaling Compression) protocol for end-to-end 
compression of text-based signaling protocol messages. 

The working group maintains connections with other standardization 
organizations developing cellular technology for IP, such as 3GPP and 
3GPP-2, to ensure that its output fulfills their requirements and will 
be put to good use. 

The current aims of the working group are: 

- to carry out a re-work of the ROHC framework and profiles 
specifications, hereafter referred to as the ROHCv2 project. The purpose 
of the ROHCv2 project is to generate a separate framework specification, 
not changing the framework part of the ROHC protocol, as well as a set 
of revised compression profiles. The most specific goals with the ROHCv2 
profiles are to improve tolerance to packet reordering between 
compressor and decompressor, and to reduce the overall complexity of the 
protocol. It should be noted that the v2 profiles will thus not be 
compatible with the original (ROHCv1) profiles, which means less complex 
ROHC implementations can be realized by not providing support for ROHCv1 
(over links not yet supporting ROHC, or by shifting out support for 
ROHCv1 in the long run). Profile support is agreed through the ROHC 
channel negotiation, which is part of the ROHC framework and thus not 
changed by ROHCv2. 

- to update and correct the original profile specifications through 
publication of the "Corrections and Clarifications to RFC 3095"- 
document. 

- to finalize the ROHC profile work for TCP header compression. 

- to develop and/or document proper protocol solutions to apply ROHC 
over IPsec tunnels. 

- to finalize the "SigComp implementer's guide" and "SigComp for SIP" 
documents. 

The longer term goal of the working group is to advance all its 
specifications to Draft Standard status (with an exception for the 
original profiles being revised as part of the ROHCv2 activity). 

Goals and Milestones: 
Done Problem analysis ROHC-over-channels-that-can-reorder-packets
submitted to IESG for publication as Informational. 
Done I-Ds of ROHC IP/UDP/RTP bis, framework and profiles separated. 
Sep 2006 RFC 3095 Implementer's Guide submitted to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard. 
Oct 2006 IP/TCP compression scheme submitted to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard. 
Nov 2006 ROHC framework submitted to IESG for publication as Proposed
Standard . 
Nov 2006 SigComp for SIP submitted to IESG for publication as Proposed
Standard. 
Dec 2006 Revised ROHC IP/UDP/RTP profiles submitted to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard. 
Dec 2006 SigComp Implementer's Guide submitted to IESG for publication as
Informational. 
Jan 2007 RObust Header Compression Protocol Number Registration submitted
to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard. 
Feb 2007 ROHC encapsulation profile(s) for IPHC/CRTP/eCRTP submitted to
IESG for publication as Proposed Standard. 
Mar 2007 IKE/IPsec extensions for HC-session Parameter Negotiation
submitted to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard. 
Mar 2007 Header Compression over IPsec (HCoIPsec) submitted to IESG for
publication as Informational. 
Jun 2007 Recharter of WG to develop additional profiles if needed, or
possible additional compression schemes. Consideration of concluding the
working group.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce