Subject: Protocol Action: 'IKE and IKEv2 Authentication Using ECDSA' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:30:57 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IKE and IKEv2 Authentication Using ECDSA '
   <draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-auth-ecdsa-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-auth-ecdsa-06.txt

Technical Summary

  This document describes how the Elliptic Curve Digital Signature
  Algorithm (ECDSA) may be used as the authentication method within the
  Internet Key Exchange (IKE) and Internet Key Exchange version 2
  (IKEv2) protocols.  ECDSA may provide benefits including computational
  efficiency, small signature sizes, and minimal bandwidth compared to
  other available digital signature methods.  This document adds ECDSA
  capability to IKE without introducing any changes to existing IKE
  operation.

Working Group Summary

  This document is an individual submission.  It was discussed in the
  IPsec Working Group, but that working group was closed before reaching
  consensus on this document.  Thus, it is not affiliated with any IETF
  Working Group.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

Note to IANA

  The registry is http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipsec-registry [IANA-IKE],
  and the section within the registry is "IPSEC Authentication Methods".
  The three new additions are:

     Method                                        Value
     ------                                        -----
     ECDSA with SHA-256 on the P-256 curve           9
     ECDSA with SHA-384 on the P-384 curve          10
     ECDSA with SHA-521 on the P-512 curve          11

  The registry is http://www.iana.org/assignments/ikev2-parameters 
  [IANA-IKEv2], and the section within the registry is "IKEv2
  Authentication Method".  The three new additions are:

     Method                                        Value
     ------                                        -----
     ECDSA with SHA-256 on the P-256 curve           9
     ECDSA with SHA-384 on the P-384 curve          10
     ECDSA with SHA-521 on the P-512 curve          11

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce