Subject: RFC 4653 on Improving the Robustness of TCP to Non-Congestion Events

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:04:23 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4653

        Title:      Improving the Robustness of TCP 
                    to Non-Congestion Events 
        Author:     S. Bhandarkar, A. L. N. Reddy,
                    M. Allman, E. Blanton
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       August 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 42268
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-dcr-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4653.txt

This document specifies Non-Congestion Robustness (NCR) for TCP.  In
the absence of explicit congestion notification from the network, TCP
uses loss as an indication of congestion.  One of the ways TCP
detects loss is using the arrival of three duplicate acknowledgments.
However, this heuristic is not always correct, notably in the case
when network paths reorder segments (for whatever reason), resulting
in degraded performance.  TCP-NCR is designed to mitigate this
degraded performance by increasing the number of duplicate
acknowledgments required to trigger loss recovery, based on the
current state of the connection, in an effort to better disambiguate
true segment loss from segment reordering.  This document specifies
the changes to TCP, as well as the costs and benefits of these
modifications.  This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet 
community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. 
Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce