Subject: Nomcom 2006/07: Third Call for Volunteers

From: Andrew Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 11:52:29 -0400

This is the third call for volunteers to participate in the 2006/07
IETF Nominations Committee (NomCom), the committee that will select
this year's nominees for the IAB and the IESG. Details about the
Nominations Committee and its operation can be found in RFC 3777.

The NomCom is the IETF's way of choosing its leadership. Typically,
half of the positions on the IAB, half of the positions on the IESG
and one IAOC position are filled by the NomCom each year. It is
possible that the NomCom will have to fill more or fewer slots due to
the creation or elimination of positions, resignations,
transfers, etc.

IESG positions that will be reviewed by this NomCom are:

General Area (IETF Chair) -- Brian Carpenter
Applications Area -- Ted Hardie
Internet Area -- Mark Townsley
Operations and Management Area -- David Kessens
RT Apps & Infrastructure Area -- Jon Peterson (currently on one year 
term)
Routing Area -- Bill Fenner
Security Area -- Russ Housley
Transport Area -- Lars Eggert (currently on one year 
term)

IAB members whose positions will be reviewed by this NomCom are:

Bernard Aboba
Loa Andersson
Kurtis Lindqvist
Dave Meyer
Dave Thaler (currently on one year term)
Lixia Zhang

The IAOC member whose term will expire is:
Jonne Soininen

For the NomCom to work as it should, the pool from which the
volunteers are chosen should be as large as possible. The more people
who volunteer, the better chance we have of choosing a random yet
representative cross section of the IETF population. Volunteering for
the NomCom is also a great way of serving the IETF community -- so 
please volunteer!

NomCom members are barred from nomination during the year they serve,
even if they later resign. Therefore, being selected for the NomCom
provides complete immunity against selection for the IAB, IESG or IAOC
during that year.

People who volunteer should be sure they can the afford the time to
meet the responsibilities of participating on the NomCom, which will
amount to several hours per week over the next 4 to 5 months. The
task involves the following activities:

- Reading candidates' statements
- Participating in a weekly 2 hour conference call.
- Attending the IETF meetings held during the selection process.
- Conducting interviews with candidates.
- Speaking to IETF participants about the candidates, the job
requirements, or the process.

All NomCom deliberations and supporting information that relates to
specific nominees, candidates, and confirmed candidates are
confidential. The NomCom members will be exposed to confidential
information as a result of their deliberations, their interactions
with those they consult during the selection process, and from those
who provide requested supporting information. All members are
expected to handle this information in a manner consistent with its
sensitivity.

To qualify as a volunteer, a person needs to have attended 3 out of
the last 5 IETF meetings. Anyone who meets this requirement is
invited to volunteer by emailing your name, telephone number(s), and
email address to [email-masked] no later than noon in
San Jose, California on August 9, 2006. Please put
"NOMCOM VOLUNTEER" in the subject line.

Once the list of volunteers closes it will be announced and
published at:

http://www.ietf.org/nomcom/index.html

We will run the selection process against the list of volunteers and
announce the results on August 16, 2006. Ten NomCom voting members
will be chosen from the pool of volunteers according to the procedure
described by Donald Eastlake in RFC 3797, "Publicly Verifiable
Nominations Committee (NomCom) Random Selection." The source of
randomness will be based on the shares-traded number of 12 stocks
selected by the NomCom chair.

The official shares-traded numbers (denoted in 000s) will be drawn
from the August 16, 2006 Wall Street Journal which reports the sales
figures from the previous trading day - August 15, 2006. If trading in
any of the stocks is suspended, then the shares traded will be assumed
to be 0.

The NomCom voting members will start their term on August 23, 2006, 
after the IETF community has had a chance to review the random selection
process.

Please volunteer!

Thank you!

Andrew Lange
[email-masked]

STOCKS USED IN THE NOMCOM SELECTION PROCESS:

American Greetings (AM)
Canon ADR (CAJ)
Clorox (CLX)
Ingram Micro (IM)
Monsanto (MON)
NY Times (NYT)
Office Depot (ODP)
Steinway (LVB)
Electronic Arts (ERTS)
Gilead Sciences (GILD)
Papa Johns (PZZA)
Ryanair ADR (RYAAY)

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce