Subject: Protocol Action: 'Graceful Restart Mechanism for BGP' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:12:50 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Graceful Restart Mechanism for BGP '
   <draft-ietf-idr-restart-13.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Bill Fenner and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-restart-13.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This document proposes a mechanism for BGP that would help minimize
   the negative effects on routing caused by BGP restart. An End-of-RIB
   marker is specified and can be used to convey routing convergence
   information.  A new BGP capability, termed "Graceful Restart
   Capability", is defined which would allow a BGP speaker to express
   its ability to preserve forwarding state during BGP restart. Finally,
   procedures are outlined for temporarily retaining routing information
   across a TCP transport reset.

   The mechanisms described in this document are applicable to all
   routers, both those with the ability to preserve forwarding state
   during BGP restart and those without (although the latter need to
   implement only a subset of the mechanisms described in this
   document).
 
Working Group Summary
 
  The WG had consensus to move this document forward.  There
  were comments during IETF Last Call, and the document was
  updated based on these comments.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  Bill Fenner reviewed this spec for the IESG.  The implementation
  report, listing 7 implementations, is available at
 
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Implementations/implement_draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-survey-01.txt

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce