Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Audio/Video Transport (avt)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:50:01 -0400

The charter of the Audio/Video Transport (avt) working group in the 
Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area of the IETF has been
updated. For additional information, please contact the Area Directors 
or the working group Chairs.

+++

Audio/Video Transport (avt)
=============================
 
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Colin Perkins <[email-masked]> 
Tom Taylor <[email-masked]> 
Roni Even <[email-masked]> 

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]> 
Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> 

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman//listinfo/avt
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Audio/Video Transport Working Group was formed to specify a protocol
for real-time transmission of audio and video over unicast and multicast
UDP/IP. This is the Real-time Transport Protocol, RTP, together with its
associated profiles and payload formats. The current aims of the working
group are:

- to review and revise existing payload formats to advance those which
are useful to Draft Standard, and to declare others as
Historic. Milestones will be established as a champion for each
payload format is identified.

- to develop payload formats for new media codecs, and to document
best-current practices in payload format design. The group continues
to be precluded from work on codecs themselves because of overlap with
the other standards bodies, and because the IETF does not have the
ability to effectively review new codecs. An exception was made for
the freeware iLBC codec on a highly experimental basis, but acceptance
of new codec work is unexpected and subject to rechartering.

- to complete the forward error correction work to update RFC 2733 in
the form of the ULP payload format

- to extend RTP to work with Source-Specific Multicast sessions with
unicast feedback

- to provide a framing mechanism for RTP over TCP and TLS

- in collaboration with the MPLS and ROHC WGs, to develop a solution for
header compression of RTP across MPLS networks that avoid
decompression and compression at each MPLS node.

- to develop a new RTP profile for the combination of the SRTP profile
and the Extended RTP Profile for RTCP-based Feedback (RTP/SAVPF)

- to maintain and enhance the SRTP Profile, with review and input from
the Security Area

- to develop a new RTP profile for usage of TFRC (RFC 3448) with RTP
over UDP to allow application developers to gain experience with TCP
friendly congestion control.

- to develop a MIB for RTCP XR (RFC 3611).

- to update the RTP MIB, including aligning it with RFC 3550.

- to clarify how RTP is used for media in conferencing with centralized
nodes performing relay, translation or mixing of media.

- to develop the mechanisms needed for efficient control of media and
its encoding process in RTP based conferencing, both over multicast
and transport containing relays, translators and mixers. An example of
such a mechanism is a method to request a full intra coded frame of
video. This would be used to allow joining participants to receive
video immediately after joining instead of waiting for the next intra
coded frame. It also allows mixers to perform switching between media
sources without the need to re-encode the media.

- to develop a solution for carrying media meta data, specifically SMPTE
timestamps, to enhance the media stream. Such transport may be done in
either RTP or RTCP depending on which is most suitable. The WG may
consider if a generalized mechanism should be developed to enable
future types of meta data to be easier to include.

- to develop two new metric blocks for the RTCP XR (RFC 3611) framework
to provide information on the media quality experienced by the
receiver of RTP flows. One metrics block is for high resolution
measurements of audio and speech quality. A second one for providing
information on the quality of video. The timescale to complete this
second block and the included metrics are highly dependable on the
development of standardized subjective metrics for video quality. The
WG will consider what metrics that are available and if they should be
included or not. The metrics blocks shall not duplicate signaling
information From [email-masked] Tue Aug 22 16:01:00 2006
To: [email-masked]
From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:50:01 -0400
Cc: [email-masked], Keith Drage <[email-masked]>,
	Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Session Initiation Protocol (sip) 

The charter of the Session Initiation Protocol (sip) working group 
in the Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area of the IETF has
been updated. For additional information, please contact the Area
Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

Session Initiation Protocol (sip)
=================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Keith Drage <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>
Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) working group is chartered to
maintain and continue the development of SIP, currently specified as
proposed standard RFC 3261, and its family of extensions.

SIP is a text-based protocol, similar to HTTP and SMTP, for
initiating interactive communication sessions between users. Such
sessions include voice, video, chat, interactive games, and virtual
reality. The main tasks of the group involve bringing SIP from
proposed to draft standard and specifying and developing proposed
extensions that arise out of strong requirements. The SIP working
group will concentrate on the specification of SIP and its
extensions, and will not explore the use of SIP for specific
environments or applications. It will, however respond to general-
purpose requirements for changes to SIP provided by other working
groups, including the SIPPING working group, when those requirements
are within the scope and charter of SIP. The process and
requirements for such extensions are documented in RFC 3427, "Change
Process for the Session Initiation Protocol".

Throughout its work, the group will strive to maintain the basic
model and architecture defined by SIP. In particular:

1. Services and features are provided end-to-end whenever possible.

2. Standards-track extensions and new features must be generally
applicable, and not apanyway necessary for the establishment of the session.

The longer term goals of the working group are to advance the SRTP
Profile, the Extended RTP Profile for RTCP-based Feedback, the
Compressed RTP framework, and the RTP MIB to Draft Standard.

The group has no plans to develop new RTP profiles beyond those listed
above, but will consider rechartering to produce profile level
extensions if appropriate.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Review DCCP including prototypes and API; feedback to DCCP WG

Done Initial draft requirements for ECRTP over MPLS; discuss with
MPLS WG

Done Submit iLBC payload format for Proposed Standard

Done Submit iLBC codec specification for Experimental

Done Advance RTP specification and A/V profile to Full Standard

Done Submit RTP/SAVPF profile for Proposed Standard

Done Finished investigation of advanced FEC codes for RTP, update
plan

Done Submit extensions for RTP HC on MPLS networks for Proposed
Standard

Done Submit ULP Payload Format for Proposed Standard

Aug 2006 Submit SMTPE Timestamping of Media for Proposed Standard

Sep 2006 Submit RTCP/SSM draft for Proposed Standard

Nov 2006 Submit "use of AES-192 and AES-256 in SRTP" for Proposed
Standard

Nov 2006 Submit update of RTP MIB for Proposed or Draft Standard

Nov 2006 Submit RTCP XR MIB for Proposed Standard

Nov 2006 Submit RTP Profile for TFRC for Proposed Standard

Nov 2006 Submit RTCP XR High Resolution Audio Metrics for Proposed
Standard

Nov 2006 Submit Codec Control Messages for Proposed Standard

Mar 2007 Submit SRTP for Draft Standard

Mar 2007 Submit RTCP XR Video Metrics block for Proposed Standard

Sep 2007 Submit RTP/AVPF for Draft Standard

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

plicable only to a specific set of session
types.

3. Simplicity is key.

4. Reuse of existing Internet protocols and architectures and
integrating with other Internet applications is crucial.

The primary source of change requirements to be considered by the SIP
Working Group is the SIPPING working group, which analyzes the
requirements for application of SIP to several different tasks,
including the tasks of standards-development organizations that are
developing systems based on SIP and that may require changes or
extensions thereto. Additional requirements are produced by the
other IETF working groups that are using SIP, including the SIMPLE WG
(which is using SIP for messaging and presence) and the XCON working
group (which is using SIP for centralized conferencing).

In addition to extending SIP as required to address these externally-
derived requirements, the deliverables of the group include assuring
capable security and privacy mechanisms within SIP and increasing the
stability of the SIP specification. Specific deliverables toward
these goals include:

1. Mechanisms for secure expression of identity in requests and
responses.

2. Mechanism to securely request services delivery by non-terminal
elements ("end-to-middle").

3. Guidelines for use of existing security mechanisms such as TLS,
IPsec, and certificates.

4. Guidelines for the use of descriptive techniques such as SAML
(Security Association Markup Language) with SIP.

5. Draft standard versions of SIP and critical supporting
specifications.

Other deliverables may be agreed upon as extensions are understood to
be necessary. Prospective deliverables will be discussed with the
Area Director before inclusion on agendas, and new proposed work must
be approved via a charter update.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Server Features Negotiation submitted to IESG

Done Complete IESG requested fixes to provrel and servfeat

Done Revised proposed standard version of SIP (2543bis) submitted
to IESG

Done SIP Events specification to IESG

Done The UPDATE Method submitted for Proposed Standard

Done SIP extensions for media authorization (call-auth) submitted
as Informational

Done Preconditions extensions (manyfolks) spec to IESG

Done SIP Privacy specification to IESG

Done SIP Privacy and Security Requirements to IESG

Done The MESSAGE Method submitted for Proposed Standard

Done The Replaces Header submitted for Proposed Standard

Done Refer spec to IESG Done SIP NAT extension submitted to IESG

Done SIP over SCTP specification and applicability statement

Done Mechanism for Content Indirection in SIP submitted to IESG
for Proposed Standard

Done The SIP Referred-By Header submitted to IESG for Proposed
Standard

Done Session Timer spec, revised to IESG

Done Caller preferences specification submitted to IESG

Done Submit SIP Identity documents to IESG for Proposed Standard

Done The SIP Join Header submitted to IESG for Proposed Standard

Done Replaces header to IESG (PS)

Done Upgrade S/MIME requirement for AES in 3261 to IESG (PS)

Done Application Interaction to IESG (BCP)

Done Presence Publication to IESG (PS)

Done Resource Priority signaling mechanism to IESG (PS)

Done Guidelines for Authors of SIP extensions submitted as
Informational

Done Enhancements for Authenticated Identity Management to IESG
(BCP)

Done MIB spec to IESG Done Request History mechanism to IESG (PS)

Done Mechanism for obtaining globally routable unique URIs (GRUU)
to WGLC (PS)

Done Mechanism for REFER without implicit SUBSCRIBE to IESG (PS)

Done Connection reuse mechanism to start WGLC (PS)

Done Mechanism for Target-Dialog to IESG (PS)

Done Submit Answering/Alerting Modes to the WGLC (PS)

Done Addressing an Amplification Vulnerability in Forking Proxies
to WGLC (PS)

Done Mechanism for feature parameters with REFER To IESG (PS)

Done Mechanism for End-to-Middle Requests to IESG (PS)

Aug 2006 Submit Answering/Alerting Modes to the IESG (PS)

Aug 2006 Mechanism and guidelines for outbound connections to WGLC
(PS)

Aug 2006 Mechanism for connected identity to WGLC (PS)

Aug 2006 Diagnostic Responses for SIP Errors to WGLC (PS)

Aug 2006 Consent-Based Communications WGLC (PS)

Sep 2006 Mechanism for obtaining globally routable unique URIs (GRUU)
to IESG (PS)

Sep 2006 Mechanism and guidelines for outbound connections to IESG
(PS)

Sep 2006 Location Conveyance with SIP to WGLC (PS)

Sep 2006 Certificate Management Service for SIP to WGLC (PS)

Sep 2006 Rejecting Anonymous Requests to WGLC (PS)

Sep 2006 Session Policies to WGLC as PS

Sep 2006 Example security flows to WGLC (Informational)

Oct 2006 Consent-Based Communications to IESG (PS)

Oct 2006 Diagnostic Responses for SIP Errors to IESG (PS)

Oct 2006 Rejecting Anonymous Requests to IESG (PS)

Oct 2006 Mechanism for connected identity to IESG (PS)

Oct 2006 Addressing an Amplification Vulnerability in Forking Proxies
to IESG (PS)

Oct 2006 Extensions to SIP UA Profile Delivery Change Notification
Event Package for XCAP to WGLC (PS)

Oct 2006 Refering to Multiple Resources to IESG as PS

Nov 2006 Certificate Management Service for SIP to IESG (PS)

Nov 2006 Session Policies to IESG as PS

Dec 2006 Extensions to SIP UA Profile Delivery Change Notification
Event Package for XCAP to IESG (PS)

Dec 2006 Location Conveyance with SIP to IESG (PS)

Dec 2006 Example security flows to IESG (Informational)

Dec 2006 Roadmap for SIP to WGLC (Informational)

Mar 2007 Roadmap for SIP to IESG (Informational)

Mar 2007 Guidelines for use of SIP security to WGLC (Informational)

Apr 2007 Connection reuse mechanism to IESG (PS)

Jun 2007 Guidelines for use of SIP security to IESG (Informational)

Jun 2007 Identify requirements for test matrix to move SIP to Draft
Standard

Jun 2007 Revise charter

Sep 2007 Using SAML for SIP to WGLC (PS)

Dec 2007 Using SAML for SIP to IESG (PS)

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce