Subject: Impending publication: draft-iab-link-encaps-02.txt

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:48:33 -0400

The IAB is ready to ask the RFC-Editor to publish

     Multiple Encapsulation Methods Considered Harmful
                draft-iab-link-encaps-02.txt

as an Informational RFC. While typically a link layer protocol
supports only a single Internet Protocol (IP) encapsulation 
method, this is not always the case. Recently new link types 
have been defined that support multiple encapsulation methods.  
This document describes architectural and operational issues 
arising from use of multiple ways of encapsulating IP packets 
on the same link.  Multiple encapsulation methods are not, 
themselves, new -- previous considerations of the approach
are considered, as well as a review of potential issues related 
to the current proposals.

The IAB solicits comments by September 27, 2006. Please send
comments to the IAB ([email-masked]), or to [email-masked].

The document can be found at

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-link-encaps-02.txt

 From the Abstract:

   This document describes architectural and operational issues that
   arise from link layer protocols supporting multiple Internet Protocol
   encapsulation methods.

Leslie Daigle,
      For the IAB.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce