Subject: 25th Anniversary!

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:20:25 -0400

It was 25 years ago this month that IP and TCP were formally standardized
by the publication of RFC 791 and RFC 793.

"Vint Cerf and Robert Kahn are widely credited with the design of TCP/IP,
and many others involved in the ARPANET project made significant
contributions," says the Internet Society. "The core of the documents was
RFC 675, published in December 1974 by Cerf together with co-authors Carl
Sunshine and Yogen Dalal. The subsequent sequence of documents leading up
to RFC 791 and 793 benefited from the participation of many people
including Dave Clark, Jon Postel, Bob Braden, Ray Tomlinson, Bill Plummer,
and Jim Mathis, as well as other unnamed contributors to the definition
and implementation of what became the Internet's core protocols." 

You can learn more about this seminal achievement at the Internet Society
web site: http://www.isoc.org/isoc/media/releases/060926pr.shtml.

Many thanks to those who have gone before, those who continue to toil in
this fruitful vineyard and those who will follow.

All the best,
Ray Pelletier
IAD

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce