Subject: Protocol Action: 'SIEVE Email Filtering: Spamtest and Virustest Extensions' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:39:31 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'SIEVE Email Filtering: Spamtest and Virustest Extensions '
   <draft-ietf-sieve-spamtestbis-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lisa Dusseault and Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-spamtestbis-05.txt

Technical Summary
 
This is a revision of RFC 3685. This document adds 3 new tests to the
SIEVE email filtering language: "spamtest", "spamtestplus" and
"virustest". Those tests permit users to use simple, portable commands
for spam and virus tests on email messages.  

This document addresses issues raised by implementors. The document
contains straightforward clarifications, updates to references and
boilerplate. In addition to that it introduces a new extension
"spamtestplus", which is basically the same as "spamtest", but allows to
test scores in percents, while the original "spamtest" test only used the
1 to 10 scale. The introduction of new scale is the result of customer
feedback: users feel more comfortable using percents. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
The SIEVE WG has reviewed the draft and discussed it at a few meetings.
Last-call (and post last-call) reviews were performed by the following
people:
- Ned Freed
- Mark E. Mallett
- Arnt Gulbrandsen
- Aaron Stone

The WG discussed the issue of obsoleting the "spamtest" extension and
decided to keep it in the document, as currently there are several
deployments of "spamtest" and no deployments of "spamtestplus".
The WG will reevaluate this decision when the time comes to move the
document to Draft.

Protocol Quality
 
Lisa Dusseault reviewed this document for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor
 
1.  Note that this draft obsoletes RFC3685.

2.  The reference to "I-D.newman-i18n-comparator" should be moved to the
"Normative" reference section.

3.  Please remove the version-by-version changes and add the summary of
changes here:

ADD:
   Appendix B. Important changes since RFC3685.

   Listed below are the major changes from the previous specification
   [RFC3685], which this one supersedes.

   1. A ":percent" argument has been added to the "spamtest" test adding
a new 0-100 numerical range for test results.

   2. A "spamtestplus" requires item has been added to indicate the
   presence of this extension in scripts.

   3. The "count" match type from [I-D.ietf-sieve-3431bis] can now be
used to determine whether a message was tested or not.

   4. Clarified that "test not done" also means "SIEVE system could not
   determine if a test was done".

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce