Subject: Email with attached legal disclaimers

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:27:49 -0400

Sometimes people send IETF email with attached legal disclaimers,
usually inserted automatically by their employer's mail system.
These disclaimers make assertions about confidentiality and may contain
phrases like "If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
information is prohibited."

You are reminded that IETF contributions are automatically subject
to RFC 3978, which explicitly states in Section 3.2 that:

   Each Contributor agrees that any statement in a Contribution, whether
   generated automatically or otherwise, that states or implies that the
   Contribution is confidential or subject to any privilege, can be
   disregarded for all purposes, and will be of no force or effect.

Therefore, any such disclaimers attached to IETF email can be ignored
for IETF purposes.

However, we strongly advise all participants to take all possible
steps to prevent the addition of such disclaimers. Among other issues,
some other standards organizations will refuse to consider any liaison 
message from an IETF source that contains such a disclaimer.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce