Subject: Request for comments: EDU team charter

From: Brian Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 04:04:15 -0400

Below is the proposed new charter for the IETF's EDU team, which is
appointed and chartered by me as General AD.

Comments are welcome through October 2, preferably on the
[email-masked] list (subscription details below).

   Brian Carpenter

OVERVIEW:

The Education (EDU) Team manages the internal educational activities
of the IETF with the goal of improving the effectiveness of IETF
operations.  We strive to improve the effectiveness of IETF leaders
and participants by offering training sessions and educational
materials that clarify their roles and responsibilities and prepare
them to be more effective in their roles.

CURRENT Activities (As of August 2006):

The EDU Team is responsible for the tutorials typically held on the 
Sundays before IETF meetings.  Several tutorials are currently 
offered on a rotating schedule as determined by the EDU Team:

- Newcomers Training
 
   This tutorial attempts to give new and continuing participants an
   introduction to the processes and practices of the IETF and its
   meetings.  In recent years the Newcomers training has also been
   given in local languagez in some locations.

- WG Leadership Training

   This session offers an introduction to IETF WG roles and processes
   for current or aspiring WG chairs, document editors and technical
   leaders.

- RFC Editors Training

  This class covers the basics required to produced a well formed RFC.
  Althoug hosted by the EDU Team, this class is typically taught by a
  member of the RFC Editor staff.

- Technical Topics

  These topical sessions of one to two hours are intended to help
  participants in a wide range of working groups to acquire
  the technical knowledge and skills to do their IETF jobs more
  effectively. The EDU Team recruits experts to teach on timely
  technical topics, and both the topics and presenters will change
  over time.  Some examples of technical topics that have been
  presented include: XML2RFC Tutorial, DNS for Protocol Designers,
  Introduction to Security and Writing Security Considerations, How to
  Write an SNMP MIB.

The EDU Team also hosts topical sessions for current WG and BOF Chairs
that cover topics of particular concern to WG Chairs.  Some recent
topics have included: IESG DISCUSS criteria, IPR considerations,
Managing a WG Meeting, Leading the Consensus Process.

The EDU Team's responsibility includes scheduling and logistical
planning for all EDU sessions.  The EDU team is repsonsible for
coordinating with the IETF Secretariat to schedule training sessions,
for determining which topics will be presented at topical sessions,
for selecting the presentors, for managing the development and review
of training materials, and for maintaining an archive of our training
materials on the EDU Team web site.

The team will welcome feedback from the entire IETF community
on the content and accuracy of its training materials.

FUTURE PLANS (Fall 2006 - February 2007):

Over the next 18 months, we will enhance and extend our current
training activities for participants, document editors and WG chairs,
based on community feedback and the judgment of the EDU Team. We will
also continue to look for new ways to make instructional material
available to the IETF, such as web-based training materials.

We are starting a new educational initiative intended to help
participants to bring new work items into the IETF, either into
existing WGs or via BoFs and the formation of new WGs.  This effort
will include the development of informational documentation as well as
the development of a new IETF process tutorial:

  - Bringing New Work into the IETF

    This session will provide information to IETF participants and
    leaders on how to bring new work into the IETF, including how to
    bring a document into an existing WG, how to organize a BoF, and
    how to form a new IETF WG. Although this information is intended
    to encourage participants to bring interesting new work into the
    IETF, the class will also cover the IPR and control implications
    of pursuing work within the IETF.

- The EDU Team may also investigate and implement other new training
  initiatives intended to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of
  the IETF.  The following ideas are under discussion, although not
  all of them will turn into new training sessions:

  o How to structure protocol documents to make them easier to read,
    understand, and implement.

  o How to make the best use of the new and enhanced tools being
    offered by the tools group and others.

  o Additional technial sessions that explore topics that IETF
    document authors and reviewers should consider when developing
    protocols within the IETF. 

  Although not all of these ideas may become EDU Team sessions,
  information on the investigation of these topics will be reported to
  the community via the edu-discuss mailing list and at open EDU Team
  meetings.

STRUCTURE:

The EDU Team consists of team leader(s) and several members. The team
leader(s) are appointed by, and report to, the General Area Director.
The members of the team are chosen from the IETF community as a whole
by the team leader(s), with the approval of the General Area Director. 

In order to allow for community visibility and input into IETF
educational activities, the archives of the EDU Team mailing list are
publicly available, and a public discussion list is available for open
discussion of our activities.  The EDU Team maintains a web site that
contains the minutes of all EDU Team meetings as well as other
information about ongoing work. The team also holds periodic open EDU
Team meetings (approximately once per year at IETF meetings) to report
on plans and progress and to receive community input and feedback.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Team Leaders: 
Avri Doria (avri at acm.org)
Margaret Wasserman (mrw at lilacglade.org)

General Area Director: 
Brian Carpenter (brc at zurich.ibm.com)

Mailing Lists:

Education Team: [email-masked] 
Archive: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

General Discussion: [email-masked] 
Subscribe/Archive: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-discuss

Education Team Web Site: 
http://edu.ietf.org/ 

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce