Subject: RFC 4659 on BGP-MPLS IP Virtual Private Network (VPN) Extension for IPv6 VPN

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:49:08 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4659

        Title:      BGP-MPLS IP Virtual Private Network 
                    (VPN) Extension for IPv6 VPN 
        Author:     J. De Clercq, D. Ooms,
                    M. Carugi, F. Le Faucheur
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 42090
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgp-ipv6-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4659.txt

This document describes a method by which a Service Provider may use
its packet-switched backbone to provide Virtual Private Network (VPN)
services for its IPv6 customers.  This method reuses, and extends
where necessary, the "BGP/MPLS IP VPN" method for support
of IPv6.  In BGP/MPLS IP VPN, "Multiprotocol BGP" is used for
distributing IPv4 VPN routes over the service provider backbone, and
MPLS is used to forward IPv4 VPN packets over the backbone.  This
document defines an IPv6 VPN address family and describes the
corresponding IPv6 VPN route distribution in "Multiprotocol BGP".

This document defines support of the IPv6 VPN service over both an
IPv4 and an IPv6 backbone, and for using various tunneling techniques
over the core, including MPLS, IP-in-IP, Generic Routing Encapsulation
(GRE) and IPsec protected tunnels.  The inter-working between an IPv4
site and an IPv6 site is outside the scope of this document.  [STANDARDS 
TRACK].

This document is a product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce