Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Mobility for IPv6 (mip6)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:50:01 -0400

A modified charter has been submitted for the Mobility for IPv6 (mip6)
working group in the Internet Area of the IETF. The IESG has not made 
any determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below for 
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG 
mailing list ([email-masked]) by September 26th.

+++

Mobility for IPv6 (mip6)
==========================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Gopal Dommety <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip6/index.html

Description of Working Group:

Mobile IPv6 (MIP6) specifies routing support which permits an IPv6
host to continue using its home address as it moves around the
Internet, enabling continuity of sessions. Mobile IPv6 supports
transparency above the IP layer, including maintenance of active
transport level sessions. The base specifications for Mobile IPv6
consist of:

o RFC 3775
o RFC 3776

The primary goal of the MIP6 working group will be to enhance base
IPv6 mobility by continuing work on developments that are required for
wide-scale deployments. Additionally the working group will ensure
that any issues identified by implementation and interoperability
experience are addressed, and that the base specifications are
maintained. The group will also produce informational documentation,
such as design rationale documents or description of specific issues
within the protocol.

Deployment considerations call for work to reduce per-mobile node
configuration and enrollment effort, solutions to enable dual-stack
operation, mechanisms to support high-availabity home agents, and ways
to employ Mobile IPv6 in the presence of firewalls.

Work items related to base specification maintenance include:

- Create and maintain an issue list that is generated on the basis of
implementation and interoperability experience. Address specific
issues with specific updates or revisions of the base
specification. This work relates only to corrections and
clarifications. The working group shall not revisit design
decisions or change the protocol.

- Update RFC 3776 to specify the usage of IKEv2 for the establishment
of the IPsec SA between the MN and HA. This work also provides a
way for a mobile node to change its home address or employ multiple
home addresses as needed.

- Update the IANA considerations of RFC 3775 to allow extensions for
experimental purposes as well passing of optional vendor-specific
information.

Work items related to large scale deployment include:

- Bootstrapping Mobile IPv6: A bootstrapping mechanism is intended to
be used when the device is turned on the very first time and
activates Mobile IPv6, or periodically such as when powering
on. The WG should investigate and define the scope before solving
the problem.

Work on the problem statement and the solutions needed for various
deployment scenarios. Work with other WGs such as DHC for defining
the options needed for bootstrapping.

- Capture the AAA requirements needed for bootstrapping and
deployment, and work with the Radext and DiME WGs on the solutions.

- A Solution for MIP6 session continuity for dual stack hosts which
attach to IPv4 access networks. Additionally provide a mechanism
for carrying IPv4 packets via the Home agent for MIP6 capable
dual-stack hosts. This work will be done in collaboration with the
NEMO WG.

- A protocol based solution for enhancing the reliability of home
agents and a method to force a host to switch home agents.

- A mechanism to force an MN to switch the HA that is currently
serving it. This is required in deployments where the HA may need
to be taken offline for maintenance.

- Work on solutions to deal with firewalls and the problems that
firewalls cause as identified in RFC 4487.

Work items related to informational documentation include:

- Produce a problem statement relating to location privacy and the
use of Mobile IPv6. Work with the IRTF MOBOPTS RG on developing the
solution.

- Produce a design rationale that documents the historical
thinking behind the introduction of an alternative security
mechanism, the Authentication Protocol (RFC 4285).

It should be noted that some of the features that are directly related
to Mobile IPv6 are being worked on in the MONAMI6, MIPSHOP, and NEMO
working groups. The specific extensions from these groups are out of
scope for the MIP6 working group. In particular, all optimizations are
out of scope. However, MIP6 may assist these groups when they use
features listed above and have requirements on them.

Milestones:

Sep 2006 Submit I-D 'Motivation for Authentication I-D' to IESG
for publication as Informational.

Sep 2006 Submit I-D 'Bootstrapping solution for Integrated Scenario'
to IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard.

Oct 2006 Submit I-D 'Mobility management for Dual stack mobile nodes:
A Problem Statement' to IESG for publication as Informational.

Oct 2006 Submit I-D 'Goals for AAA HA Interface' to IESG for
publication as Informational.

Oct 2006 Submit I-D 'Address Location Privacy and Mobile IPv6 Problem
Statement' to IESG for publication as Informational.

Nov 2006 Submit I-D 'Bootstrapping solution for split Scenario' to IESG
for publication as a Proposed Standard.

Nov 2006 Submit I-D 'DHCP Options for Home Information Discovery in
MIPv6' for publication as a proposed standard.

Dec 2006 Submit I-D 'Home agent reliability' to IESG for publication
as a Proposed Standard.

Dec 2006 Submit I-D 'Mobile IPv6 Dual-Stack Operation' to IESG for
publication as a Proposed Standard.

Dec 2006 Submit I-D 'Mobility Header Home Agent Switch Message' to
IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard.

Jan 2007 Submit I-D 'Mobile IPv6 Experimental Allocations' to IESG for
publication as a Proposed Standard.

Feb 2007 Submit the I-D 'RADIUS Mobile IPv6 Support' to IESG for
publication as a proposed standard.

Apr 2007 Submit I-D 'Mobile IPv6 Operation with Firewalls' to IESG
for publication as Informational.

May 2007 Submit I-D(s) related to specific updates and corrections
of RFC 3775 to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce