Subject: Protocol Action: 'Use of PE-PE GRE or IP in BGP/MPLS IP Virtual Private Networks' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:49:43 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Use of PE-PE GRE or IP in BGP/MPLS IP Virtual Private Networks '
   <draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Mark Townsley and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l3vpn-gre-ip-2547-05.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This document describes a variation of BGP/MPLS IP Virtual Private
   Networks (VPNs) in which the outermost MPLS label of a VPN packet
   (the tunnel label) is replaced with either IP or a Generic Routing
   Encapsulation (GRE).  This enables the VPN packets to be carried over
   non-MPLS networks.

Working Group Summary
 
 There was concensus in the WG for this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten and Mark
Townsley

IESG Note:

This document proposes an automated mechanism for establishing tunnels
between provider-edge routers in a VPN but does not provide an
automated mechanism for establishing security associations for these
tunnels. Without such a mechanism, this document is not appropriate for
publication on the Internet standards track.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce