Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format and File Storage Format for the Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) and Adaptive Multi-Rate Wideband (AMR-WB) Audio Codecs' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:59:52 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RTP Payload Format and File Storage Format for the Adaptive Multi-Rate 
   (AMR) and Adaptive Multi-Rate Wideband (AMR-WB) Audio Codecs '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-amr-bis-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-amr-bis-06.txt

* Technical Summary

This document specifies a real-time transport protocol (RTP) payload
format to be used for Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) and Adaptive
Multi-Rate Wideband (AMR-WB) encoded speech signals. The payload
format is designed to be able to interoperate with existing AMR and
AMR-WB transport formats on non-IP networks. In addition, a file
format is specified for transport of AMR and AMR-WB speech data in
storage mode applications such as email. Two separate media type
registrations are included, one for AMR and one for AMR-WB,
specifying use of both the RTP payload format and the storage
format. This document obsoletes RFC 3267.

* Working Group Summary

This is an update to RFC 3267, to properly define offer/answer 
behavior and to clarify various other details in light of 
implementation experience. It was not controversial.

* Protocol Quality

This is an update to a very widely implemented RTP payload format, 
incorporating a series of clarifications in the light of 
implementation experience. The media type review occurred in July 
2006, with no objections. Harikishan Desineni provided working group 
last call comments.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce