Subject: Protocol Action: 'Enhancements to RTP Payload Formats for EVRC Family Codecs' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:15:23 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Enhancements to RTP Payload Formats for EVRC Family Codecs '
   <draft-ietf-avt-compact-bundled-evrc-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-compact-bundled-evrc-11.txt

* Technical Summary

This document updates the EVRC RTP payload formats defined in RFC
3558 with several enhancements and extensions. In particular, it
defines support for the header-free and interleaved/bundled packet
formats for the EVRC-B codec, a new compact bundled format for the
EVRC and EVRC-B codecs, as well as discontinuous transmission (DTX)
support for EVRC and EVRC-B encoded speech transported via RTP. 
VoIP applications operating over low bandwidth dial-up and wireless
networks require such enhancements for efficient use of the
bandwidth.

* Working Group Summary

A straight-forward RTP Payload Format, to address a new version of 
the codec. Only unusual feature is the tight specification of the DTX 
parameters, rather than relying on end-point discretion (as is the 
norm).

* Protocol Quality

This drafts was reviewed on the ietf-types list in May 2006; there 
were no objections. Adam Li provided working group last call comments 
on DTX operation. Colin Perkins did the PROTO write-up. David Black did
Gen ART Review.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce