Subject: Document Action: 'RFC 1264 is Obsolete' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:26:57 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RFC 1264 is Obsolete '
   <draft-fenner-obsolete-1264-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fenner-obsolete-1264-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document reclassifies RFC 1264 as historic, and specifies that the
normal 2026 rules for publishing IETF standards will apply to routing area
specifications. This for example allows individual working groups and ADs
some discretion regarding whether to require implementations prior to
publication. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
There was a significant discussion between Alex and Bill (when Alex was
AD), as well as on the routing discussion mailing list. There was a very
significant attempt to update 1264 rather than obsoleting it. After
significant discussion it became clear that the rough concensus was that
the current "normal" IETF procedures for approving documents is sufficient
and appropriate.
 
Protocol Quality
 
Ross Callon reviewed the document. I believe that the document is clear
and that the approach advocated in it (as proposed by Bill Fenner) is
the right one. 

Note to RFC Editor
 
When this document is approved, the status of RFC1264 should be changed to
"historic". 

IANA Note

This has no IANA implications.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce