Subject: RFC 4701 on A DNS Resource Record (RR) for Encoding Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Information (DHCID RR)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:10:17 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4701

        Title:      A DNS Resource Record (RR) 
                    for Encoding Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol 
                    (DHCP) Information (DHCID RR) 
        Author:     M. Stapp, T. Lemon,
                    A. Gustafsson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 24570
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsext-dhcid-rr-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4701.txt

It is possible for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) clients
to attempt to update the same DNS Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN)
or to update a DNS FQDN that has been added to the DNS for another
purpose as they obtain DHCP leases.  Whether the DHCP server or the
clients themselves perform the DNS updates, conflicts can arise.  To
resolve such conflicts, RFC 4703 proposes storing client identifiers
in the DNS to unambiguously associate domain names with the DHCP
clients to which they refer.  This memo defines a distinct Resource
Record (RR) type for this purpose for use by DHCP clients and servers:
the "DHCID" RR.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce