Subject: Protocol Action: 'NAT Behavioral Requirements for Unicast UDP' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:27:37 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'NAT Behavioral Requirements for Unicast UDP '
   <draft-ietf-behave-nat-udp-08.txt> as a BCP

This document is the product of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance 
Avoidance Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-nat-udp-08.txt

Technical Summary

  This document defines basic terminology for describing different
  types of NAT behavior when handling Unicast UDP and also defines a
  set of requirements that would allow many applications, such as
  multimedia communications or on-line gaming, to work consistently.
  Developing NATs that meet this set of requirements will greatly
  increase the likelihood that these applications will function
  properly.

Working Group Summary

  There has been some disagreement with default NAT binding timers
  in general, and specific concern around handling of specific
  applications such as DNS which don't need 2 minute timeouts

Protocol Quality
 
  No new protocols are defined in this document, rather, this
  document describes how NATs should function when NATting UDP
  packets.

  The WG is confident that this document captures the behevior
  of NATs typically sold to consumers.

  The document was reviewed for the IESG by Magnus Westerlund. 
  Proto Shepherd was Dan Wing.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce