

Receiverly identify the scenarios that 
are being addressed; this lack of clarity often makes it difficult to 
agree on whether the proposed optimizations offer real value. To 
avoid this situation, the Problem Statement must clearly describe the 
scenarios that are being addressed, and the assumptions about the 
handover environment associated with that scenario.

2) A specification of an EMSK-based key hierarchy topology. The 
specification will include a requirements, one or more key derivation 
function (KDF), and parameters. This is follow-on work EAP (RFC 
3748) and EAP keying framework that was developed in the EAP WG.

3) A specification for the derivation of root keys, such as the 
handover root key (HRK), to support re-authentication and handover 
key management. The HOKEY WG can base these keys on either the MSK 
or the EMSK produced by EAP (pick one). If the consensus is to use 
the EMSK, then the HRK forms one branch in the EMSK-based key 
hierarchy. This specification will describe the properties of each 
key that is specified, and the topics must include caching, naming, 
scope, binding, storage, and key lifetime.

4) A protocol specification for media-independent, low-latency 
re-authentication. The EAP re-authentication mechanism must support 
handovers between EAP authenticators. This protocol specification is 
expected to employ a re-authentication branch in the key hierarchy.

5) A protocol specification for secure and timely distribution of 
cryptographic keys to support roaming and handover. Use of AAA 
protocols is preferred, and if used, should leverage existing work if 
possible (such as RADEXT WG work on RFC 3576bis and RADIUS 
cryptographic algorithm agility). However, if AAA protocols cannot 
meet the objectives, other protocols for reactive or proactive 
distribution or retrieval of keys by the proper entities is permitted.

6) A specification for inter-domain roaming solutions based on use of 
either trust relationships or pre-authentication methods or both.

MILESTONES
==========

Dec 06 First draft with a problem statement on EAP re-authentication and
key management

Dec 06 First draft on EMSK-based Keying Hierarchy

Feb 07 First draft on EAP Re-authentication and Handover Keying
Hierarchy

Feb 07 First draft on EAP Re-authentication Protocol

Mar 07 First draft on Protocol and Keying Hierarchy for Visited Domain
Handovers and Re-authentication

Mar 07 Submit the problem statement draft to IESG

Mar 07 Submit EMSK-based Keying Hierarchy draft to IESG

Jun 07 First draft on Handover Key Distribution Protocol

Aug 07 Submit EAP Re-authentication and Handover Keying Hierarchy draft
to IESG

Aug 07 Submit EAP Re-authentication Protocol draft to IESG

Sep 07 Submit Protocol and Keying Hierarchy for Visited Domain Handovers
and Re-authentication draft to IESG

Sep 07 First draft on EAP Pre-authentication Specification for
inter-technology and inter-domain handoffs

Mar 08 Submit EAP Pre-authentication Specification to IESG

Mar 08 Re-charter or shut down WG

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce