Subject: Document Action: 'Security Implications of Using the Data Encryption Standard (DES)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:50:43 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Security Implications of Using the Data Encryption Standard (DES) '
   <draft-kelly-saag-des-implications-06.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kelly-saag-des-implications-06.txt

Technical Summary

  Despite the fact that DES is susceptible to brute force attacks and
  has been deprecated, implementers continue to support it, sometimes as
  the default algorithm.  RFC 4450 concluded that the Internet community
  would benefit from a document which explicitly spells out the security
  implications of using this algorithm.  This document does just that.

Working Group Summary

  This document is not a product of a Working Group.  This document was
  announced on the SAAG mailing list, but there was no public discussion
  on that list.  However, the author received a number of private
  comments, updating the document to address them.  The document was
  reviewed at various stages by Paul Hoffman, Doug Whiting, Matt Curtin,
  Eric Rescorla, Bob Baldwin, and Yoav Nir.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce