Subject: Protocol Action: 'Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) over IEEE 802 Networks' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:05:05 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) over IEEE 802 Networks '
   <draft-schoenw-snmp-ether-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schoenw-snmp-ether-02.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document specifies how Simple Network Management Protocol
(SNMP)messages can be transmitted directly over IEEE 802 networks. The
document obsoletes RFC 1089 and supplements the standard SNMP transport
mappings defined in RFC 3417. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
The document is an individual submission, initiated as result of work
being done in IEEE 802.1 that would possibly lead to using SNMP transport
over IEEE 802 networks like Ethernet. 

Protocol Quality

The document went through IETF Last Call and through expert review from
the MIB Doctors team. It was reviewed by Vidya Narayanan on behalf of the
security directorate, by David Black on behalf of Gen-Art and by Dan
Romascanu for the IESG. 

Note to RFC Editor

 Please make the following modifications:

1. Section 3.2, second paragraph:

OLD:

   When serialized SNMP messages are sent in IEEE 802.3 frames (and in
   other IEEE 802 MAC frame types that can natively represent Ethernet
   type values), an Ethernet type field value of 33100 (hexadecimal
   814C) is used as the link layer protocol identifier.  In IEEE 802
   LANs that use LLC as the means of link layer protocol identification,
   such as IEEE 802.11 Wireless LANs, the SNAP encapsulation method
   described in subclause 10.5 "Encapsulation of Ethernet frames over
   LLC" in [IEEE802] is used.

NEW:

   When serialized SNMP messages are sent in IEEE 802.3 frames (and in
   other IEEE 802 MAC frame types that can natively represent Ethernet
   type values), the Ethernet type field value of 33100 (hexadecimal
   814C) MUST be used as the link layer protocol identifier.  In IEEE
   802 LANs that use LLC as the means of link layer protocol
   identification, such as IEEE 802.11 Wireless LANs, the SNAP
   encapsulation method described in subclause 10.5 "Encapsulation of
   Ethernet frames over LLC" in [IEEE802] MUST be used.

2. Add Informative References for RFC3414 and RFC3415

3. In Section 3:

OLD:

This is an optional transport mapping.

NEW: 

'This is an optional transport mapping. The need to carry SNMP directly
over a 802 LAN transport in order to allow for the management of simple
devices was identified in applications like the Two-Port Media Access
Control (MAC) Relay, being developed in IEEE 802.1 as project P802.1aj
[802.1aj].'

4. Add the following Informative Reference:

[802.1aj]- P802.1aj/D1.4 Draft Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area
Networks - Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks - Amendment 08: Two-Port
Media Access Control (MAC) Relay, IEEE 802.1 Working Group, June 2006,
work-in-progress

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce