Subject: Protocol Action: 'Encapsulation Methods for Transport of Layer 2 Frames Over MPLS Networks' to Historic

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:29:16 -0500

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'Encapsulation Methods for Transport of Layer 2 Frames Over MPLS 
   Networks '
   <draft-martini-l2circuit-encap-mpls-12.txt> as a Historic
- 'Transport of Layer 2 Frames Over MPLS '
   <draft-martini-l2circuit-trans-mpls-19.txt> as a Historic

These documents have been reviewed in the IETF but are not the products of
an IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-martini-l2circuit-encap-mpls-12.txt

Technical Summary
 
draft-martini-l2circuit-encap-mpls-12.txt

   This document describes methods for encapsulating the Protocol Data
   Units (PDUs) of layer 2 protocols such as Frame Relay, ATM, or
   Ethernet for transport across an MPLS network.

draft-martini-l2circuit-trans-mpls-19.txt

   This document describes methods for transporting the Protocol Data
   Units (PDUs) of layer 2 protocols such as Frame Relay, ATM AAL5,
   Ethernet, and providing a SONET circuit emulation service across an
   MPLS network.
 
Working Group Summary
 
These documents contain work that was the basis of much of the PWE3 WG
efforts. Many implementations exist and have been deployed, though
going forward the output of the PWE3 WG supersedes these mechansims 
as IETF Consensus. These are now being published for the record as
Historic to underscore that they document work that has been obsoleted 
by PWE3 Standards Track work.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Mark Townsley. 
  There are numerous deployed and interoperable implementations 
  based on these documents.

Note to RFC Editor
 
For draft-martini-l2circuit-trans-mpls-19.txt:

In the Abstract:

APPEND the following text at the bottom:

This document describes the so called "draft-martini" protocol which
has been since superseded by the Pseudo Wire Edge to Edge
Working Group specifications described in  rfc4447 and related documents.

In the beginning of section 2:

OLD:
This document describes the so called "draft-martini" protocol with

NEW:
This document describes the so called "draft-martini" protocol which
                                                               ^^^^^

In Section 9, REPLACE the entire section with the following text:

This document does not affect the underlying security issues of MPLS,
described in [RFC3032]. More detailed security considerations are also
described in [RFC4447] section 8. 

For draft-martini-l2circuit-encap-mpls-12.txt:

In the Abstract:

APPEND the following text at the bottom:

This document describes the so called "draft-martini" protocol which
has been since superseded by the Pseudo Wire Edge to Edge
Working Group specifications described in  rfc4447 and related documents.

In the beginning of section 2:

OLD:
This document describes the so called "draft-martini" protocol with

NEW:
This document describes the so called "draft-martini" protocol which
                                                              ^^^^^
In Section 9, APPEND the following text at the end of the section:

More detailed security considerations are also described in [RFC4447]
section 8.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce