Subject: RFC 4609 on Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) Multicast Routing Security Issues and Enhancements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 19:19:23 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4609

        Title:      Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse 
                    Mode (PIM-SM) Multicast Routing Security Issues 
                    and Enhancements 
        Author:     P. Savola, R. Lehtonen,
                    D. Meyer
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       October 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 49812
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mboned-mroutesec-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4609.txt

This memo describes security threats for the larger (intra-domain or
inter-domain) multicast routing infrastructures.  Only Protocol
Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) is analyzed, in its
three main operational modes: the traditional Any-Source Multicast
(ASM) model, the source-specific multicast (SSM) model, and the ASM
model enhanced by the Embedded Rendezvous Point (Embedded-RP)
group-to-RP mapping mechanism.  This memo also describes enhancements
to the protocol operations that mitigate the identified threats.  This 
memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the MBONE Deployment
Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or From [email-masked] Fri Oct 13 22:36:50 2006
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 19:19:23 -0700
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 4609 on Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM)
	Multicast Routing Security Issues and Enhancements

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4609

        Title:      Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse 
                    Mode (PIM-SM) Multicast Routing Security Issues 
                    and Enhancements 
        Author:     P. Savola, R. Lehtonen,
                    D. Meyer
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       October 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 49812
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mboned-mroutesec-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4609.txt

This memo describes security threats for the larger (intra-domain or
inter-domain) multicast routing infrastructures.  Only Protocol
Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) is analyzed, in its
three main operational modes: the traditional Any-Source Multicast
(ASM) model, the source-specific multicast (SSM) model, and the ASM
model enhanced by the Embedded Rendezvous Point (Embedded-RP)
group-to-RP mapping mechanism.  This memo also describes enhancements
to the protocol operations that mitigate the identified threats.  This 
memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the MBONE Deployment
Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce