Subject: RFC 4643 on Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) Extension for Authentication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:07:03 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4643

        Title:      Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) 
                    Extension for Authentication 
        Author:     J. Vinocur, K. Murchison
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 51411
        Updates:    RFC2980
        See-Also:   

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4643.txt

This document defines an extension to the Network News Transfer
Protocol (NNTP) that allows a client to indicate an authentication
mechanism to the server, to perform an authentication protocol
exchange, and optionally to negotiate a security layer for subsequent
protocol interactions during the remainder of an NNTP session.

This document updates and formalizes the AUTHINFO USER/PASS
authentication method specified in RFC 2980 and deprecates the
AUTHINFO SIMPLE and AUTHINFO GENERIC authentication methods.
Additionally, this document defines a profile of the Simple
Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) for NNTP.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the NNTP Extensions
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce