Subject: Document Action: 'Administration of the IANA Special Purpose Address Block' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:19:42 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Administration of the IANA Special Purpose Address Block '
   <draft-huston-ipv6-iana-specials-01.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huston-ipv6-iana-specials-01.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document represents a direction to IANA concerning the management of
the IANA Special Purpose IPv6 address assignment registry.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The document is an individual submission. It was produced by the IAB IPv6
ad hoc committee in an attempt to get through a piece of IPv6 allocation
policies where a IETF standardization activity (Teredo) required an IPv6
address allocation, but the RIR allocation policies for IPv6 did not
encompass such an action, and IANA did not have a clear and unambiguous
authority to perform a direct allocation that was not via the RIRs.

This document was produced as a part of the set of IAB considerations
that was intended to provide a documented path to allow IANA to perform
this allocation as a direct allocation and to provide a documented means
of satisfying any future similar requests, so that each time a standards
action requires a 'special use" IPv6 address it does not become another
exception action.

Protocol Quality
 
The document went through IETF Last Call and was reviewed by Dan Romascanu
on behalf of the IESG and Juergen Schoenwaelder on behalf of the security
directorate. The closely interested parties, the IAB, IANA and the RIRs,
were consulted in order to ensure that what is being proposed in this
draft is the appropriate course of action from the perspective of all
parties. The result is a carefully worded document that allows the
IETF to produce standard specification that includes  'special use'
address allocations, and empower IANA to undertake corresponding
allocations from the IP address pool under the authority of IETF standards
actions without upsetting the existing arrangements that exist between
IANA, ICANN and the RIRs for conventional address allocation functions
(and policies) that are outside the direct purview of the IETF.

Note to RFC Editor
 
1. Please make the following change in the title of the document: 

OLD:

 Administration of the IANA Special Purpose Address Block

NEW: 

 Administration of the IANA Special Purpose IPv6 Address Block

2. Please adjust the boilerplate text to conform with the current IETF
default text.

3. Please make the following changes in Section 3:

OLD:

Further assignments of address space to IANA for subsequent designation
of address prefixes for the purposes listed here shall be undertaken only
in response to direction to IANA provided by the IETF in a IESG-reviewed
RFC document.

NEW: 

Following the policies outlined in [RFC2434], further assignments of
address space to IANA for subsequent designation of address prefixes for
the purposes listed here shall be undertaken through an IETF Consensus
action.

OLD:
    The IANA may undertake IPv6 address designations in support of
    special purposes as requested in "IANA Considerations" sections in
    IESG-reviewed RFCs, where a unicast address is requested with an
    intended use of the designated address block for the purpose of
    testing or experimental usage activities initiated by IETF, or for
    specialised use of the address block within an anycast use context
    associated with an Internet Standards track protocol.
NEW:
    The IANA may undertake IPv6 address designations in support of
    special purposes as requested in "IANA Considerations" sections in
    IESG-reviewed RFCs, where an address is requested with an
    intended use of the designated address block for the purpose of
    testing or experimental usage activities initiated by IETF, or for
    specialised use of the address block in a context (e.g., anycast)
    associated with an Internet Standards track protocol.

OLD:
    5.  The nature of the purpose of the designated address (unicast
        experiment or protocol service anycast).
    6.  If the purpose is an experimental unicast application, as
        distinct from an anycast service address, then the registry will
        also identify the entity and related contact details to whom the
        address designation has been made.
NEW:
    5.  The nature of the purpose of the designated address
        (e.g., unicast experiment or protocol service anycast).
    6.  For experimental unicast applications and otherwise as
        appropriate, the registry will
        also identify the entity and related contact details to whom the
        address designation has been made.

4. Please add the following Informative Reference:

[RFC2434]  Narten, T., and H. ALvestrand, "Guidelines for Writing an IANA
Considerations Section in RFCs," RFC2434, October 1998.

5. Please add at the numbered enumeration in Section 3 the following:

"8. The date in the IANA registry is the date of the IANA action. i.e.
the day IANA records the allocation."

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce