Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet Application Protocol Collation Registry' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:37:41 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Internet Application Protocol Collation Registry '
   <draft-newman-i18n-comparator-14.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-i18n-comparator-14.txt

Technical Summary
 
Many Internet application protocols include string-based lookup,
searching, or sorting operations.  However the problem space for
searching and sorting international strings is large, not fully
explored, and is outside the area of expertise for the Internet
Engineering Task Force (IETF).  Rather than attempt to solve such a
large problem, this specification creates an abstraction framework so
that application protocols can precisely identify a comparison
function and the repertoire of comparison functions can be extended
in the future.  This document is a normative reference for several
standards-track specifications.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This document is the work of individual submitters, but encouraged 
by multiple working groups.  It was reviewed by members of the IMAPEXT 
and SIEVE working groups and members of the [email-masked] 
mailing list.  Last call comments were received and addressed.

Protocol Quality
 
Scott Hollenbeck and Lisa Dusseault reviewed this specification for the
IESG.

Note to RFC Editor

Section 3.1: please fix an ABNF rule and add a paragraph after it:

OLD: 
     collation-scope = Language-tag / "vnd-" reg-name
NEW:
     collation-scope = Language-tag / "vnd-" reg-name

    Note: the ABNF production
    "Language-tag" is imported from Language Tags [5]
    and "reg-name" from URI: Generic Syntax [9].

Section 3.1: please remove the unused ABNF rule for vendor-tag.

OLD:
     vendor-tag      =  "vnd-" hostname

Section 5.2, OLD:
   In this way,	
   collations can be used with protocols that are defined such that |x	
   is a substring of y" returns true-false.

NEW: 
   In this way,	
   collations can be used with protocols that are defined such that "x	
   is a substring of y" returns true-false.

Section 6: Please add one sentence at the beginning.

NEW: "This section is informative."

Section 6, OLD:
   In IMAP, the default collation is i;ascii-casemap, because its	
   operations are understood to match's IMAP's built-in operations.

NEW:
   In IMAP, the default collation is i;ascii-casemap, because its	
   operations are understood to match IMAP's built-in operations.

Section 9, OLD: 
   Compatibility with	
   widely deployed code was judged more important than Some of the	
   perhaps surprising aspects of these collations are necessary to	
   maintain compatibility with widely deployed code.

NEW: 
   Compatibility with	
   widely deployed code was judged more important than fixing the
collations.  Some of the	
   perhaps surprising aspects of these collations are necessary to	
   maintain compatibility with widely deployed code.

Normative References, please add:

NEW:
   [9]   Duerst, M. and M. Suignard, “Internationalized Resource
Identifiers (IRIs)”, RFC 3987, January 2005.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce