Subject: Protocol Action: ' Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Direct Data Placement (DDP) Adaptation' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:17:01 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Direct Data Placement 
   (DDP) Adaptation '
   <draft-ietf-rddp-sctp-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Remote Direct Data Placement Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rddp-sctp-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
  This document describes a method to adapt Direct Data Placement (DDP)
  and Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) to Stream Control Transmission
  Protocol (SCTP) RFC2960 using a generic description found in
  the RDMA and DDP specifications.  This adaption provides a method
  for two peers to know that each side is performing DDP or RDMA thus
  enabling hardware acceleration if available.

  Some implementations may include this adaptation layer within their
  SCTP implementations to obtain maximum performance but the behavior
  of SCTP will be unaffected.  In order to accomplish this we specify
  the use of the new adaptation layer indication as defined in the
  SCTP ADDIP specification.
 
Working Group Summary
 
  In contrast to the lengthy discussion of how to adapt rddp to TCP,
  there has been very little controversy over or dissent from this
  draft's approach for adapting rddp to SCTP.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  The protocol has been reviewed for the rddp WG by David L. Black.
  Randy Stewart, an SCTP expert, is a co-author of this draft.

  David Black ([email-masked]) has acted as PROTO Document Shepherd.

  Eric Gray ([email-masked]) has reviewed this document for
Gen-ART.

  Lars Eggert ([email-masked] has reviewed this document for the
IESG.

RFC Editor Note

OLD:
   The DDP Segment
   Chunk serves the same purpose as the [I-D.ietf-rddp-mpa] Upper Layer

NEW:
   The DDP Segment
   Chunk serves the same purpose as the MPA [I-D.ietf-rddp-mpa] Upper
   Layer
                                        ^^^

Add the following paragraph to the end of Section 13 Security
Considerations:

   Additional requirements apply to security for RDDP over SCTP,
   due to the use of SCTP as the transport protocol.  An implementation
   of IPsec for RDDP over SCTP:
     a) MUST support IPsec functionality for SCTP equivalent to the IPsec
          functionality for TCP that is required by RFC 3723,
     b) SHOULD support the same level of IPsec functionality for SCTP
          and TCP unless there is no support for TCP, and
     c) MUST support at least the level of protocol and port selector
          functionality for SCTP that is supported for TCP.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce