Subject: Document Action: 'OSPF Link-local Signaling' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:59:27 -0500

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'OSPF Out-of-band LSDB resynchronization '
   <draft-nguyen-ospf-oob-resync-06.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'OSPF Restart Signaling '
   <draft-nguyen-ospf-restart-06.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'OSPF Link-local Signaling '
   <draft-nguyen-ospf-lls-06.txt> as an Experimental RFC

These documents have been reviewed in the IETF but are not the products of
an IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Bill Fenner.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nguyen-ospf-lls-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
   The format of OSPF packets is not flexible enough to enable
   applications exchange arbitrary data, which may be necessary in
   certain situations.  "OSPF Link-local Signaling" (LLS) describes 
   a vendor specific, backward-compatible technique to perform
   link-local signaling, i.e., exchange arbitrary data on a link.

   "OSPF Restart Signaling" describes a mechanism using LLS that
   can be used as an alternative to that described in RFC 3623 for
   routers to signal that they've restarted.

   "OSPF Out-of-band LSDB resynchronization" describes a mechanism
   using LLS for routers to resynchronize their LSDB without causing
   topology changes, for example, when they have restarted and are
   using the above Restart signaling mechanism.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   The LLS mechanism is being published as Experimental to
   document the original protocol; meanwhile, the OSPF Working
   Group is working on a standards-track version.

   The OSPF Working Group did not think that the Restart and 
   Resynchronization items provided sufficient benefit over the
   existing work, later published as RFC 3623, to adopt them as
   work items.  They are being published simply for information.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   Bill Fenner reviewed these specifications for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce