Subject: Protocol Action: 'Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6' to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:50:53 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6 '
   <draft-ietf-ipv6-privacy-addrs-v2-05.txt> as a Draft Standard

This document is the product of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-privacy-addrs-v2-05.txt

Technical Summary

   Nodes use IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration to generate
   addresses using a combination of locally available information and
   information advertised by routers.  Addresses are formed by combining
   network prefixes with an interface identifier.  On interfaces that
   contain embedded IEEE Identifiers, the interface identifier is
   typically derived from it.  On other interface types, the interface
   identifier is generated through other means, for example, via random
   number generation.  This document describes an extension to IPv6
   stateless address autoconfiguration for interfaces whose interface
   identifier is derived from an IEEE identifier.  Use of the extension
   causes nodes to generate global scope addresses from interface
   identifiers that change over time, even in cases where the interface
   contains an embedded IEEE identifier.  Changing the interface
   identifier (and the global scope addresses generated from it) over
   time makes it more difficult for eavesdroppers and other information
   collectors to identify when different addresses used in different
   transactions actually correspond to the same node.

Working Group Summary

This document is a work item of the IPv6 WG.

The IPv6 working group has done extensive review of this document and
this document reflects the consensus of the group.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed by members of the [email-masked]
mailing list and by the working group chairs.

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

The implementation report is available at
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Implementations/implement_draft-ietf-ipv6-privacy-addrs
-v2.txt

Note to RFC Editor
 
  In section 3.3 "Generating Temporary Addresses" Step 1 
  line 8 replace the text "TEMP_VALID_LIFETIME - DESYNC_FACTOR" 
  with "TEMP_VALID_LIFETIME"

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce