Subject: Protocol Action: 'Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3 Medium Attachment Units (MAUs)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:46:38 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3 Medium Attachment Units
   (MAUs) '
   <draft-ietf-hubmib-rfc3636bis-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and David Kessens.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hubmib-rfc3636bis-05.txt

Technical Summary
 
This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for
use with network management protocols in the Internet community. In
particular, it defines objects for managing IEEE 802.3 Medium Attachment
Units (MAUs).

The previous version of this memo, RFC 3636 [RFC3636], defined a single
MIB module.  This memo splits the original MIB module into two, putting
frequently updated object identities and textual conventions into a
separate, IANA-maintained MIB module, in order to decrease the need of
updating the basic MAU MIB module.

The first version of the IANA-maintained MIB module also extends the list
of managed objects to support Ethernet in the First Mile (EFM) and
10GBASE-CX4 interfaces.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The document went through several editing cycles in the WG, WGLC and
received a number of comments for improvement. The WG is not large in
numbers nowadays. However, the number and nature of the contribution and
comments show strong consensus and constructive collaboration behind this
document.

Protocol Quality
 
The document went through several editing cycles in the WG and received a
number of comments for improvement. Mike Heard from the MIB Doctors team
performed a early review and during WGLC it was announced for early review
on the MIB Doctors list. Comments were also received from participants who
are active in ITU-T Q10/4 and IEEE 802.3 Working Group.

Changes were made to the MIB modules that mildly violate the SMIv2 rules
for updating/modifying MIB modules, as documented in RFC2578. However,
both the WG as well as the MIB doctors consider this violation acceptable
in the given circumstances. This fact is also documented in the 3rd
paragraph of section 3.1.

Note to RFC Editor
 
1. in Security Considerations Section -- the following editorial change to
2nd paragraph:

  s/There is a number of/There are a number of/

2. Title change for Section 3.4:

  OLD:
     3.4.  Management of IEEE 802.3 Managed Objects
  NEW:
     3.4.  Mapping of IEEE 802.3 Managed Objects

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce