Subject: RFC 4733 on RTP Payload for DTMF Digits, Telephony Tones, and Telephony Signals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:33:28 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4733

        Title:      RTP Payload for DTMF Digits, 
                    Telephony Tones, and Telephony Signals 
        Author:     H. Schulzrinne, T. Taylor
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       December 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      49
        Characters: 115614
        Obsoletes:  RFC2833
        See-Also:   

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bis-15.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4733.txt

This memo describes how to carry dual-tone multifrequency (DTMF)
signalling, other tone signals, and telephony events in RTP packets.
It obsoletes RFC 2833.

This memo captures and expands upon the basic framework defined in
RFC 2833, but retains only the most basic event codes.  It sets up an
IANA registry to which other event code assignments may be added.
Companion documents add event codes to this registry relating to
modem, fax, text telephony, and channel-associated signalling events.
The remainder of the event codes defined in RFC 2833 are
conditionally reserved in case other documents revive their use.

This document provides a number of
clarifications to the original document.  However, it specifically
differs from RFC 2833 by removing the requirement that all compliant
implementations support the DTMF events.  Instead, compliant
implementations taking part in out-of-band negotiations of media
stream content indicate what events they support.  This memo
adds three new procedures to the RFC 2833 framework: subdivision of
long events into segments, reporting of multiple events in a single
packet, and the concept and reporting of state events.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce