Subject: BCP0125 RFC 4775 on Procedures for Protocol Extensions and Variations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:23:35 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 125        
        RFC 4775

        Title:      Procedures for Protocol Extensions and 
                    Variations 
        Author:     S. Bradner, B. Carpenter,
                    Ed., T. Narten
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       December 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 32797
        Updates:    
        See-Also:   BCP0125

        I-D Tag:    draft-carpenter-protocol-extensions-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4775.txt

This document discusses procedural issues related to the
extensibility of IETF protocols, including when it is reasonable to
extend IETF protocols with little or no review, and when extensions
or variations need to be reviewed by the IETF community.  Experience
has shown that extension of protocols without early IETF review can
carry risk.  The document also recommends that major extensions to or
variations of IETF protocols only take place through normal IETF
processes or in coordination with the IETF.

This document is directed principally at other Standards Development
Organizations (SDOs) and vendors considering requirements for
extensions to IETF protocols.  It does not modify formal IETF
processes.  This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices 
for the Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce