Subject: Protocol Action: 'The RObust Header Compression (ROHC) Framework' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:33:42 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The RObust Header Compression (ROHC) Framework '
   <draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-framework-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Robust Header Compression Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-framework-04.txt

Technical Summary
 
   RFC 3095 defines the ROHC framework along with an initial set of
   compression profiles. When RFC 3095 was written, separating the
   framework specification from the profiles was never considered,
   but the lack of a clear and referential separation has become an 
   inconvenience when defining additional or updated profiles. To
   improve and simplify the specifications, the framework and the
   profiles parts have now been split into separate documents, where
   this document explicitly defines the ROHC framework, and thus
   replaces the framework specification of RFC 3095. The ROHC
   Framework, as defined by this document, is technically identical
   to the framework defined by RFC 3095, and there are therefore no
   compatibility concerns with these two specifications.

Working Group Summary
 
   This document has been based on the technical framework parts of
   RFC 3095, but significantly restructured and improved, based on
   the experiences previously documented in the RFC 3095 corrections
   and clarifications document. The final document has been
   thoroughly reviewed by the WG, and there is WG consensus that the
   document should now be published to form a new referential base
   for upcoming ROHC profiles.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   Magnus Westerlund reviewed the document for the IESG. The document
   was also reviewed by the committed WG document reviewers, Carl
   Knutsson and Biplab Sarkar, appointed by the ROHC WG chair.

Note to RFC Editor
 
OLD Abstract:

   The ROHC framework, along with a set of compression profiles, was
   initially defined in RFC 3095. To improve and simplify the ROHC
   specifications, this document explicitly defines the ROHC framework
   separately, and thus replaces the framework specification of RFC
   3095.

NEW Abstract:

   The ROHC framework, along with a set of compression profiles, was
   initially defined in RFC 3095. To improve and simplify the ROHC
   specifications, this document explicitly defines the ROHC framework
   and the profile for uncompressed separately. More specifically, the
   definition of the framework does not modify or update the definition
   of the framework specified by RFC3095.

OLD Intro:

   RFC 3095 [3] defines the ROHC framework along with an initial set of
   compression profiles. To improve and simplify the specification, the
   framework and the profiles parts have been split into separate
   documents. This document explicitly defines the ROHC framework, and
   thus replaces the framework specification of RFC 3095.

NEW Intro:

   RFC 3095 [3] defines the ROHC framework along with an initial set of
   compression profiles. To improve and simplify the specification, the
   framework and the profiles parts have been split into separate
   documents. This document explicitly defines the ROHC framework, but
   it does not modify or update the definition of the framework specified
   by RFC3095; both documents can be used independently of each other.
   This also implies that implementations based on either definition
   will be compatible and interoperable with each other. However it is
   the intent to let this specification replace RFC 3095 as the base
   specification for all profiles defined in the future.

Section 3.
OLD:
3. Background (Informative)

NEW: 

3. Background

Section 

OLD:
Section 8, paragraph 3:
    Profile Identifier    Usage                      Reference
    ------------------    ----------------------    ---------
    0x0000                ROHC uncompressed          RFC 3095

NEW:

Section 8, paragraph 3:
    Profile Identifier    Usage                      Reference
    ------------------    ----------------------    ---------
    0x0000                ROHC uncompressed          RFC YYYY

Where YYYY is this document.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce