Subject: RFC 4721 on Mobile IPv4 Challenge/Response Extensions (Revised)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:17:40 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4721

        Title:      Mobile IPv4 Challenge/Response Extensions (Revised) 
        Author:     C. Perkins, P. Calhoun,
                    J. Bharatia
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 60386

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3012bis-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4721.txt

Mobile IP, as originally specified, defines an authentication
extension (the Mobile-Foreign Authentication extension) by which a
mobile node can authenticate itself to a foreign agent.
Unfortunately, that extension does not provide the foreign agent any
direct guarantee that the protocol is protected from replays and
does not allow for the use of existing techniques (such as Challenge
Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP)) for
authenticating portable computer devices.

In this specification, we define extensions for the Mobile IP Agent
Advertisements and the Registration Request that allow a foreign
agent to use a challenge/response mechanism to authenticate the
mobile node.

Furthermore, this document updates RFC 3344 by including a new
authentication extension called the Mobile-Authentication,
Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) Authentication
extension.  This new extension is provided so that a mobile node can
supply credentials for authorization, using commonly available AAA
infrastructure elements.  This authorization-enabling extension MAY
co-exist in the same Registration Request with authentication
extensions defined for Mobile IP Registration by RFC 3344.  This
document obsoletes RFC 3012.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Mobility for IPv4
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce