Subject: RFC 4724 on Graceful Restart Mechanism for BGP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:49:40 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4724

        Title:      Graceful Restart Mechanism for BGP 
        Author:     S. Sangli, E. Chen,
                    R. Fernando, J. Scudder,
                    Y. Rekhter
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 32343
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-restart-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4724.txt

This document describes a mechanism for BGP that would help minimize
the negative effects on routing caused by BGP restart.  An End-of-RIB
marker is specified and can be used to convey routing convergence
information.  A new BGP capability, termed "Graceful Restart
Capability", is defined that would allow a BGP speaker to express
its ability to preserve forwarding state during BGP restart.  Finally,
procedures are outlined for temporarily retaining routing information
across a TCP session termination/re-establishment.

The mechanisms described in this document are applicable to all
routers, both those with the ability to preserve forwarding state
during BGP restart and those without (although the latter need to
implement only a subset of the mechanisms described in this
document).  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce