Subject: Protocol Action: 'iSCSI Extensions for RDMA Specification' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:30:30 -0500

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'iSCSI Extensions for RDMA Specification '
   <draft-ietf-ips-iser-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Datamover Architecture for iSCSI (DA) '
   <draft-ietf-ips-iwarp-da-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

These documents are products of the IP Storage Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-iser-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
   iSCSI Extensions for RDMA provides the RDMA data transfer capability 
   to iSCSI by layering iSCSI on top of an RDMA-Capable Protocol such 
   as the iWARP protocol suite.  An RDMA-Capable Protocol provides RDMA 
   Read and Write services, which enable data to be transferred 
   directly into SCSI I/O Buffers without intermediate data copies.  
   This document describes the extensions to the iSCSI protocol to 
   support RDMA services as provided by an RDMA-Capable Protocol such 
   as the iWARP protocol suite. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
   Interest in using iSER to support iSCSI on non-IP networks has
   been accommodated by a careful revision of terminology, including a
   WG last call on the revised terminology.  Any actual protocol
   specification work for non-IP networks (e.g., for InfiniBand) will
   be conducted outside the IETF (e.g., in the InfiniBand Trade
   Association).
 
Protocol Quality
 
   This protocol has been reviewed for the IPS WG by David L. Black,
   who has also acted as PROTO Document Shepherd. Lars Eggert
   has reviewed these documents for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note

   In Section 5.5 of draft-ietf-ips-iwarp-da-05, make the following
   replacement:

   OLD:
      For this revision of this document, a Transport Connection 
      means only a TCP connection. 

   NEW:
      For this document, all instances of Transport Connection refer
      to a TCP connection.

   In Section 13.2 of draft-ietf-ips-iser-06, remove the reference
   to [VERBS].

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce