Subject: Last Call: draft-ietf-syslog-protocol (The syslog Protocol) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:03:48 -0500

The IESG has received a request from the Security Issues in Network 
Event Logging WG (syslog) to consider the following documents:

- 'Transmission of syslog messages over UDP '
   <draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'The syslog Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-19.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2007-02-14. Exceptionally, 
comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please 
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

In order to add security services to the syslog protocol, the syslog
working group has undertaken the task of formally specifying the
format of syslog messages and transports.  Their solution is neither
fully backward nor forward compatible with syslog implementations
deployed today.  RFC 3164 and Appendix A of draft-ietf-syslog-protocol
discuss the compatibility issue and the working group's decision in
this matter at length.  The IETF community is encouraged to review
this discussion as well as the chartering discussion that codified
this decision in the syslog charter.

Major changes include the addition of structured data to syslog
messages and the addition of a mandatory secure transport.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-08.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-19.txt

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=11213&rfc_flag=0

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce