Subject: Last Call guidance to the community

From: IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:09:13 -0500

Under RFC 2026, the IESG issues Last Calls to the IETF community
for all draft Standards Track and BCP documents, and for selected
draft Informational and Experimental documents.

In normal cases, since this is the final stage of open community
review, the IESG prefers that comments on Last Calls be sent
to the [email-masked] list. Authors, WG Chairs and the responsible
Area Director are presumed to see all such messages, but they may be
copied if the person sending a comment so desires.

It is appropriate to send purely editorial or typographical comments
only to the authors, WG Chairs, and responsible Area Director.

If substantive discussion of a technical comment is needed, it is
often appropriate to move that discussion to the WG list, once the
comment has been made on the IETF list. (For non-WG drafts, it should
normally stay on the IETF list.)

In exceptional cases, a comment may be sent only to [email-masked].
However, the IESG will normally need to discuss these comments with
the authors, the WG Chairs, and possibly with the WG as a whole.
Once a comment is sent to the IESG, it becomes a contribution to the
IETF standards process, even if anonymity is requested.

>From a practical point of view, Last Call comments should preserve
the beginning of the original subject header, up to at least the end
of the draft name. For example, a comment on:

Last Call: draft-ietf-pigeon-post-02.txt (Avian Mail Transfer Protocol)
to Proposed Standard

could carry a subject such as

Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-pigeon-post-02.txt - what about avian flu risk?

This is to ensure that Last Call comments can be automatically sorted.

Sometimes, a set of related drafts are the subject of a single last call.
Please ensure that it is clear which draft is subject of a comment.

There are some organized review teams in the IETF (e.g. Gen-ART and
the Security Directorate). Reviews from such teams should be made
available to the community if they are intended as Last Call comments.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce