Subject: Protocol Action: 'Clarification of the 3rd Party Disclosure procedure in RFC 3979' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:30:45 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Clarification of the 3rd Party Disclosure procedure in RFC 3979 '
   <draft-narten-ipr-3979-3rd-party-fix-00.txt> as a BCP

This document is the product of the Intellectual Property Rights Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact person is Brian Carpenter.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-narten-ipr-3979-3rd-party-fix-00.txt

Technical Summary

  This document clarifies and updates a single sentence in RFC 3979.
  Specifically, when 3rd party IPR disclosures are made, the intention
  is that the IETF Executive Director notify the IPR holder that a 3rd
  party disclosure has been filed, and to ask the IPR holder whether
  they have any disclosure that needs to be made, per applicable
  RFC3979 rules.

Working Group Summary

  The working group process provided an interesting discussion of past
  history of the handling of IPR disclosures, but there was no real
  controversy.

Document Quality

  The document has been reviewed by Harald Alvestrand.

Personnel

  The document shepherd is Harald Alvestrand.
  The responsible AD is Brian Carpenter.

Note to RFC Editor
 
  This document becomes part of BCP 79. Please
  insert an Updates: 3979 header.

  Please replace "3rd" by "third" throughout.

  Please update the end of section 2:
OLD:
   This document updates RFC3979 by changing the word "discloser" to
   "IPR holder" in the above text.

NEW:
   This document updates RFC3979 by changing the word "discloser" to
   "holder" in the above text.

  Please remove the null Acknowledgements section.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce