Subject: WG Review: Provisioning of Symmetric Keys (keyprov)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:50:01 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Security Area.  
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The following draft 
charter was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only.  
Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 
January 22nd.

+++

Provisioning of Symmetric Keys (keyprov)
=========================================

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):
TBD

Security Area Director(s):
Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:
Russ Housley <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://www.safehaus.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-keyprov
Archive: http://www.safehaus.org/pipermail/ietf-keyprov/

Background
----------

Current developments in deployment of Shared Symmetric Key (SSK) 
tokens have highlighted the need for a standard protocol for 
provisioning symmetric keys.

The need for provisioning protocols in PKI architectures has been 
recognized for some time. Although the existence and architecture of 
these protocols provides a feasibility proof for the KEYPROV work 
assumptions built into these protocols mean that it is not possible 
to apply them to symmetric key architectures without substantial
modification.

In particular the ability to provision symmetric keys and associated 
attributes dynamically to already issued devices such as cell phones 
and USB drives is highly desirable. The working group will develop 
the necessary protocols and data formats required to support 
provisioning and management of symmetric key authentication tokens, 
both proprietary and standards based.

Input Documents
---------------

The following Internet drafts have been proposed by their authors as 
input documents:

* Dynamic Symmetric Key Provisioning Protocol (M. Pei, S. Machani)
* Portable Symmetric Key Container (A. Vassilev, J. Martinsson, M. 
Pei, P. Hoyer, S. Machani)
* Extensions to CT-KIP to support one- and two-pass key 
initialization (M. Nystroem, S. Machani)

Scope and Deliverables
----------------------

The scope of the working group shall be to define protocols and data 
formats necessary for provisioning of symmetric cryptographic keys 
and associated attributes.

The group shall consider use cases related to use of Shared Symmetric 
Key Tokens. Other use cases may be considered for the purpose of 
avoiding unnecessary restrictions in the design and ensure the 
potential for future extensibility.

The working group will produce the following deliverables:

* Portable Symmetric Key Container
* Dynamic Symmetric Key Provisioning Protocol

Milestones
----------

June 2007 WG Last Call Portable Symmetric Key Container
June 2007 WG Last Call Dynamic Symmetric Key Provisioning Protocol
August 2007 IETF Last Call Portable Symmetric Key Container
August 2007 IETF Last Call Dynamic Symmetric Key Provisioning Protocol
Jan 2008 Complete implementation and interoperability tests
June 2008 WG documents to DRAFT Standard Status

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce