Subject: Last Call on the use of RFC 1951 as a normative reference

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:41:07 -0500

Under the term of RFC 3967, the IESG may approve a normative
reference to a document at a lower level, after an appropriate
Last Call. RFC 1951 is referenced by two documents recently
put to Last Call: draft-ietf-lemonade-compress and
draft-ietf-crisp-iris-lwz . As is common with algorithm documents,
RFC 1951 is Informational, where both drafts are targeted
for the standards track. RFC 1951 has already been similarly
used by other documents, including RFC 2616 (HTTP), RFC
3724 (CMS Compressed mode), and RFC 4253 (Secure Shell
Transport Layer), but the IESG has no record of the downref
being called out in those last calls.

The IESG intends to make a decision on whether to permit
these downrefs at the next IESG telechat, and it would appreciate
input by Feb 8, 2007. Further input on whether RFC 1951
should be considered among those documents for which
Last Call references are no longer required (as noted in Section
3 of RFC 3967) would also be welcome. Comments should
be sent to [email-masked]. Exceptionally, comments may be sent
to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce