Subject: RFC 4762 on Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) Using Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) Signaling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:49:44 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4762

        Title:      Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) 
                    Using Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) Signaling 
        Author:     M. Lasserre, Ed.,
                    V. Kompella, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Characters: 82778
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4762.txt

This document describes a Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)
solution using pseudowires, a service previously implemented over
other tunneling technologies and known as Transparent LAN Services
(TLS).  A VPLS creates an emulated LAN segment for a given set of
users; i.e., it creates a Layer 2 broadcast domain that is fully
capable of learning and forwarding on Ethernet MAC addresses and that
is closed to a given set of users.  Multiple VPLS services can be
supported from a single Provider Edge (PE) node.

This document describes the control plane functions of signaling
pseudowire labels using Label Distribution Protocol (LDP),
extending RFC 4447.  It is agnostic to discovery protocols.  The data
plane functions of forwarding are also described, focusing in
particular on the learning of MAC addresses.  The encapsulation of
VPLS packets is described by RFC 4448.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce