Subject: Document Action: 'An IPv6 Prefix for Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers (ORCHID)' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:44:49 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'An IPv6 Prefix for Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers 
   (ORCHID) '
   <draft-laganier-ipv6-khi-07.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-laganier-ipv6-khi-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
  This document introduces Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash 
  Identifiers (ORCHID) as a new, experimental class of IPv6-address- 
  like identifiers. These identifiers are intended to be used as end- 
  point identifiers at applications and APIs and not as identifiers for 
  network location at the IP layer, i.e., locators. They are designed 
  to appear as application layer entities and at the existing IPv6 
  APIs, but they should not appear in actual IPv6 headers. To make them 
  more like vanilla IPv6 addresses, they are expected to be routable at 
  an overlay level. Consequently, while they are considered as 
  non-routable addresses from the IPv6 layer point of view, all 
  existing IPv6 applications are expected to be able to use them in a 
  manner compatible with current IPv6 addresses.

  This document requests IANA to allocate a temporary prefix out of the 
  IPv6 addressing space for Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash 
  Identifiers.
 
Working Group Summary
 
  This proposal comes from Pekka Nikander and Julien Laganier from the 
  HIP WG, as well as Francis Dupont which has been proposing the use of 
  identifiers similar to ORCHIDs in MIP6. This proposal was discussed 
  both in the HIP WG, the INT area mailing list, and partly during the 
  ALIEN BOF.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  Jari Arkko has reviewed this specification for the IESG.

  This proposal is currently implemented in all maintained HIP 
  implementations projects (i.e. OpenHIP <http://openhip.org>, HIP for 
  Inter.net <http://hip4inter.net> and HIP for Linux 
  <http://hipl.hiit.fi/hipl/>.

  Geoff Huston (APNIC) has done a thorough review that resulted in the 
  change from an 8-bits prefix to a 28-bits prefix. This change has 
  permitted to gain consensus amongst both the IPv6 and Internet 
  community, and the HIP community.

  A number of people commented this proposal during the IETF
  Last Call. One of the issues raised was the conflict with
  RFC 4291 rules. Given that an attempt to use another 
  allocation type would have resulted in significant IETF
  work regarding the update of rules for such allocations,
  it was decided that it is better to just note the discrepancy
  for this experiment.

Note to RFC Editor
 
  Please change "returned to IANA in 2027" to "returned
  to IANA in 2014" (two occurrences). Similarly, please
  change "additional 28-bit functionality" to "additional
  functionality".

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce