Subject: WG Review: Recharter of SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions (simple)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:39:46 -0500

A modified charter has been submitted for the SIP for Instant Messaging 
and Presence Leveraging Extensions (simple)working group in the Real-
time Applications and Infrastructure Area of the IETF. The IESG has not
made any determination as yet. The modified charter is provided below
for informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by February 19th.

+++

SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions (simple)
======================================================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> 
Hisham Khartabil <[email-masked]> 

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]> 
Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> 

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]> 

Technical Advisor(s):
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/simple/index.html

Description of Working Group:

This working group focuses on the application of the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP, RFC 3261) to the suite of services collectively known as
instant
messaging and presence (IMP). The IETF has committed to producing an
interoperable standard for these services compliant to the requirements
for IM
outlined in RFC 2779 (including the security and privacy requirements
there)
and in the Common Presence and Instant Messaging (CPIM) specification,
developed within the IMPP working group. As the most common services for
which
SIP is used share quite a bit in common with IMP, the adaptation of SIP to
IMP
seems a natural choice given the widespread support for (and relative
maturity
of) the SIP standard.

This group has completed the majority of its primary goals and will focus
on the remaining tasks documented here and concluding. Any proposed new
work should be socialized with the chairs and AD early to determine if
this WG is an appropriate venue.

The primary remaining work of this group will be to complete:

1. The MSRP proposed standard mechanism for transporting sessions of
messages
initiated using the SIP, compliant to the requirments of RFC 2779, CPIM
and BCP 41.

2. The XCAP framework for representing and carrying configuration and
policy
information in SIMPLE systems.

3. A mechanism for representing partial changes (patches) to XML
documents
and extensions to the SIMPLE publication and notification mechanisms to
convey these partial changes.

4. A mechanism for initiating and managing Instant Message group chat.

5. An annotated overview of the SIMPLE protocol definition documents.

Any SIP extensions proposed in the course of this development will, after
a
last call process, be transferred to the SIP WG for consideration as
formal SIP
extensions.

Any mechanisms created for managing Instant Message group chat are
intended to provide
a bridge to the conferencing protocols that will be defined in XCON. They
will be limited
in scope to address only simple Instant Message chat with nicknames and
will not attempt
to address complex conferencing concepts such as sidebars. Their design
must 
anticipate operating in conjunction with the conferencing protocols XCON
is working towards.

The working group will work within the framework for presence and IM
described
in RFC 2778. The extensions it defines must also be compliant with the SIP
processes for extensions. The group cannot modify baseline SIP behavior or
define a new version of SIP for IM and presence. If the group determines
that
any capabilities requiring an extension to SIP are needed, the group will
seek
to define such extensions within the SIP working group, and then use them
here.

Goals and Milestones:
Done Submission of event package for presence to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard
Done Submission of watcher information drafts to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standards
Done Submission of proposed event list mechanism to the SIP working group
Done Submission of requirements for event publishing to the IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard
Done Submission of proposed mechanism for event publishing to the SIP
working group
Done Submission of SIMPLE PIDF profile to IESG for publication as Proposed
Standard
Done Submission of base XCAP draft to IESG for publication as Proposed
Standard
Done Submission of indication of instant message preparation using SIP to
IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard
Done Submission of XCAP usage for manipulation of presence document
content
Done Submission of XCAP usage for setting presence authorization to IESG
for publication as Proposed Standard
Done Submission of Filtering mechanisms to IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard
Done Submission of instant messaging session draft to IESG for publication
as a Proposed Standard
Done Submission of instant messaging session relay drafts to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standards
Done Submission of Partial Notification mechanism to IESG for publication
as a Proposed Standard
Feb 2007 Submission of an Instant Message Disposition Notification
mechanism to the IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard
Feb 2007 Submission of XCAP event package to IESG or appropriate working
group targeting publication as Proposed Standard
Feb 2007 Submission of proposed mechanisms meeting the advanced messaging
requirements to the IESG or appropriate working group
Mar 2007 Submission of a performance and scalability analysis of the
SIMPLE presence mechanisms to the IESG for publication as Informational
Jun 2007 Submission of SIMPLE protocol annotated overview draft to IESG
for publication as Informational
Aug 2007 Submission of proposed mechanisms for initiating and managing
Instant Message group chat to the IESG for publication as Proposed
Standard
Aug 2007 Conclusion of SIMPLE

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce