Subject: Document Action: 'Recommendations for Filtering ICMPv6 Messages in Firewalls' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:26:11 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Recommendations for Filtering ICMPv6 Messages in Firewalls '
   <draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-recs-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Kessens and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-recs-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
 In networks supporting IPv6 the Internet Control Message Protocol
 version 6 (ICMPv6) plays a fundamental role with a large number of
 functions, and a correspondingly large number of message types and
 options. A number of security risks are associated with uncontrolled
 forwarding of ICMPv6 messages. On the other hand, compared with IPv4
 and the corresponding protocol ICMP, ICMPv6 is essential to the
 functioning of IPv6 rather than a useful auxiliary. This document
 provides some recommendations for ICMPv6 firewall filter
 configuration that will allow propagation of ICMPv6 messages that are
 needed to maintain the functioning of the network but drop messages
 which are potential security risks.

Working Group Summary

 This was approved by the IPv6 Operations Working Group following an
 extended discussion.

 The document was originally proposed for BCP status, and was
 downgraded to informational based on the notion that we should get
 experience with the document before giving it that class of
 approbation. We expect to review the document about a year hence in
 view of operational experience. Apart from that, the working group
 has been supportive.
  
Protocol Quality
 
 David Kessens reviewed this document for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce