Subject: Document Action: 'Local Network Protection for IPv6' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:23:39 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Local Network Protection for IPv6 '
   <draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-06.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Kessens and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
 Although there are many perceived benefits to Network Address
 Translation (NAT), its primary benefit of "amplifying" available
 address space is not needed in IPv6.  In addition to NAT's many
 serious disadvantages, there is a perception that other benefits
 exist, such as a variety of management and security attributes that
 could be useful for an Internet Protocol site.  IPv6 does not support
 NAT by design and this document shows how Network Architecture
 Protection (NAP) using IPv6 can provide the same or more benefits
 without the need for NAT.

Working Group Summary
 
 This document is a product of the v6ops working group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 David Kessens reviewed this document for the IESG. 

Note to RFC Editor:

 In section 2.6, first paragraph, please change:

 OLD:

  While the widespread use of IPv4+NAT has reduced the potential
  consumption rate, the ongoing depletion of the IPv4 address range has
  already taken the remaining pool of unallocated IPv4 addresses well
  below 25%.
  While mathematical models based on historical IPv4 prefix consumption
  periodically attempt to predict the future exhaustion date of the
  IPv4 address pool, a direct result of this continuous resource
  consumption is that the administrative overhead for acquiring
  globally unique IPv4 addresses will continue increasing in direct
  response to tightening allocation policies.

 NEW:

  While the widespread use of IPv4+NAT has reduced the potential
  consumption rate, the ongoing depletion of the IPv4 address range has
  already taken the remaining IANA pool of unallocated IPv4 addresses 
  well below 25%.
  While mathematical models based on historical IPv4 prefix consumption
  periodically attempt to predict the future exhaustion date of the
  IPv4 address pool, a possible result of this continuous resource
  consumption is that the overhead for acquiring globally unique
  IPv4 addresses will at some point increase noticeably due to
  tightening allocation policies.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce