Subject: RFC 4798 on Connecting IPv6 Islands over IPv4 MPLS Using IPv6 Provider Edge Routers (6PE)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:46:50 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4798

        Title:      Connecting IPv6 Islands over IPv4 
                    MPLS Using IPv6 Provider Edge Routers 
                    (6PE) 
        Author:     J. De Clercq, D. Ooms,
                    S. Prevost, F. Le Faucheur
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       February 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 31381
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ooms-v6ops-bgp-tunnel-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4798.txt

This document explains how to interconnect IPv6 islands over a
Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)-enabled IPv4 cloud.  This
approach relies on IPv6 Provider Edge routers (6PE), which are Dual
Stack in order to connect to IPv6 islands and to the MPLS core, which is 
only required to run IPv4 MPLS.  The 6PE routers exchange the IPv6
reachability information transparently over the core using the
Multiprotocol Border Gateway Protocol (MP-BGP) over IPv4.  In doing
so, the BGP Next Hop field is used to convey the IPv4 address of the 6PE
router so that dynamically established IPv4-signaled MPLS Label
Switched Paths (LSPs) can be used without explicit tunnel
configuration.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of thisself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce