Subject: Protocol Action: 'Authenticated Chunks for Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:27:16 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Authenticated Chunks for Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) '
   <draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-auth-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-auth-08.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document describes a new chunk type, several parameters and
procedures for SCTP. This new chunk type can be used to authenticate SCTP
chunks by using shared keys between the sender and receiver. The new
parameters are used to establish the shared keys. Using TLS as defined in
RFC3436 (TLS over SCTP) does not help with this requirement because it
only secures SCTP user data. Therefore an SCTP extension is created by
this document which provides a mechanism for deriving shared keys for each
association. These association shared keys are derived from endpoint pair
shared keys, which are configured and might be empty, and data which is
exchanged during the SCTP association setup. The extension presented in
this document allows an SCTP sender to sign chunks using shared keys
between the sender and receiver. The receiver can then verify that the
chunks are sent from the sender and not from a malicious attacker as long
as the attacker does not know an association shared key.
 
Working Group Summary
 
There is strong consensus in the WG to publish this document. It has been
reviewed by several people in the WG last call. Comments raised has been
addressed.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document extends the Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP),
and has had many comments, all of which have been reviewed within the
TSVWG to the WG's satisfaction.

Personel

The responsible AD is Magnus Westerlund. The WG shepherd is James Polk.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce