Subject: RFC 4814 on Hash and Stuffing: Overlooked Factors in Network Device Benchmarking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:57:14 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4814

        Title:      Hash and Stuffing: Overlooked Factors 
                    in Network Device Benchmarking 
        Author:     D. Newman, T. Player
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 59272
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4814.txt

Test engineers take pains to declare all factors that affect a given
measurement, including intended load, packet length, test duration,
and traffic orientation.  However, current benchmarking practice
overlooks two factors that have a profound impact on test results.
First, existing methodologies do not require the reporting of
addresses or other test traffic contents, even though these fields
can affect test results.  Second, "stuff" bits and bytes inserted in
test traffic by some link-layer technologies add significant and
variable overhead, which in turn affects test results.  This document
describes the effects of these factors; recommends guidelines for
test traffic contents; and offers formulas for determining the
probability of bit- and byte-stuffing in test traffic.  This memo provides
information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Benchmarking Methodology
Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce