Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions (simple)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:50:02 -0400

The SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions 
(simple) working group in the Real-time Applications and Infrastructure
Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information,
please contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions (simple)
======================================================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Hisham Khartabil <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>
Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/simple/index.html

Description of Working Group:

This working group focuses on the application of the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP, RFC 3261) to the suite of services collectively known as
instant messaging and presence (IMP). The IETF has committed to 
producing an interoperable standard for these services compliant to 
the requirements for IM outlined in RFC 2779 (including the security 
and privacy requirements there) and in the Common Profile for Instant
Messaging (CPIM) specification, developed within the IMPP working 
group. As the most common services for which SIP is used share quite a 
bit in common with IMP, the adaptation of SIP to IMP seems a natural 
choice given the widespread support for (and relative maturity of) the
SIP standard.

This group has completed the majority of its primary goals and will 
focus on the remaining tasks documented here and concluding. Any 
proposed new work will require a recharter.

The primary remaining work of this group will be to complete:

1. The MSRP proposed standard mechanism for transporting sessions of
messages initiated using the SIP, compliant to the requirments of RFC 
2779, CPIM and BCP 41.

2. The XCAP framework for representing and carrying configuration and
policy information in SIMPLE systems.

3. A mechanism for representing partial changes (patches) to XML
documents and extensions to the SIMPLE publication and notification 
mechanisms to convey these partial changes.

4. A mechanism for initiating and managing Instant Message group chat.

5. An annotated overview of the SIMPLE protocol definition documents.

Any SIP extensions proposed in the course of this development will, 
after a last call process, be transferred to the SIP WG for 
consideration as formal SIP extensions.

Any mechanisms created for managing Instant Message group chat are
intended to provide a bridge to the conferencing protocols that will 
be defined in XCON. They will be limited in scope to address only 
simple Instant Message chat with nicknames and will not attempt
to address complex conferencing concepts such as sidebars. Their 
design must anticipate operating in conjunction with the conferencing 
protocols XCON is working towards.

The working group will work within the framework for presence and IM
described in RFC 2778. The extensions it defines must also be 
compliant with the SIP processes for extensions. The group cannot 
modify baseline SIP behavior or define a new version of SIP for IM and 
presence. If the group determines that any capabilities requiring an 
extension to SIP are needed, the group will seek to define such
extensions within the SIP working group, and then use them here.

Goals and Milestones:
Done Submission of event package for presence to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard
Done Submission of watcher information drafts to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standards
Done Submission of proposed event list mechanism to the SIP working group
Done Submission of requirements for event publishing to the IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard
Done Submission of proposed mechanism for event publishing to the SIP
working group
Done Submission of SIMPLE PIDF profile to IESG for publication as Proposed
Standard
Done Submission of base XCAP draft to IESG for publication as Proposed
Standard
Done Submission of indication of instant message preparation using SIP to
IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard
Done Submission of XCAP usage for manipulation of presence document
content
Done Submission of XCAP usage for setting presence authorization to IESG
for publication as Proposed Standard
Done Submission of Filtering mechanisms to IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard
Done Submission of instant messaging session draft to IESG for publication
as a Proposed Standard
Done Submission of instant messaging session relay drafts to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standards
Done Submission of Partial Notification mechanism to IESG for publication
as a Proposed Standard
Feb 2007 Submission of an Instant Message Disposition Notification
mechanism to the IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard
Feb 2007 Submission of XCAP event package to IESG or appropriate working
group targeting publication as Proposed Standard
Feb 2007 Submission of proposed mechanisms meeting the advanced messaging
requirements to the IESG or appropriate working group
Mar 2007 Submission of a performance and scalability analysis of the
SIMPLE presence mechanisms to the IESG for publication as Informational
Jun 2007 Submission of SIMPLE protocol annotated overview draft to IESG
for publication as Informational
Aug 2007 Submission of proposed mechanisms for initiating and managing
Instant Message group chat to the IESG for publication as Proposed
Standard
Aug 2007 Conclusion of SIMPLE

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce