Subject: Document Action: 'IANA Considerations for PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:33:09 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IANA Considerations for PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) '
   <draft-arberg-pppoe-iana-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-arberg-pppoe-iana-03.txt

Technical Summary

This document provides for an IANA registry of PPPoE TAG and
Code fields.  Known existing usages are reserved, and a "first
come first served" policy is established for future codes.

Working Group Summary

The PPPEXT working group reviewed the document and there are
no known concerns with the work.  PPPoE itself is not a
standard protocol (L2TP and DHCP are standards-track
alternatives), and future extensions are thus not encouraged.
However, the new registry will help prevent possible conflicts
that may develop before the standards-based solutions are
adopted by PPPoE users.

Protocol Quality

This document does not specify any protocol.  The registry
established reflects current practice within the community.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce