Subject: Protocol Action: 'Bi-directional Protocol Independent Multicast (BIDIR-PIM)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 18:02:03 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Bi-directional Protocol Independent Multicast (BIDIR-PIM) '
   <draft-ietf-pim-bidir-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Protocol Independent Multicast 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Bill Fenner and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-bidir-09.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This document discusses Bi-directional PIM, a variant of PIM
   Sparse-Mode that builds bi-directional shared trees connecting  
   multicast sources and receivers. Bi-directional trees are
   built using a fail-safe Designated Forwarder (DF) election
   mechanism operating on each link of a multicast topology.
   With the assistance of the DF, multicast data is natively
   forwarded from sources to the Rendezvous-Point and hence along
   the shared tree to receivers without requiring source-specific
   state.  The DF election takes place at RP discovery time and
   provides the route to the RP thus eliminating the requirement
   for data-driven protocol events.
 
Working Group Summary
 
  The WG had consensus to advance this document.  Work was completed
  in 2004-2005, but this document waited for the PIM-SM spec, which is
  now published as RFC 4601.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  Bill Fenner reviewed the spec for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce