Subject: RFC 4828 on TCP Friendly Rate Control (TFRC): The Small-Packet (SP) Variant

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:32:17 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4828

        Title:      TCP Friendly Rate Control (TFRC): 
                    The Small-Packet (SP) Variant 
        Author:     S. Floyd, E. Kohler
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       April 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      46
        Characters: 116808
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4828.txt

This document proposes a mechanism for further experimentation, but
not for widespread deployment at this time in the global Internet.

TCP-Friendly Rate Control (TFRC) is a congestion control mechanism
for unicast flows operating in a best-effort Internet environment
(RFC 3448).  TFRC was intended for applications that use a fixed
packet size, and was designed to be reasonably fair when competing
for bandwidth with TCP connections using the same packet size.  This
document proposes TFRC-SP, a Small-Packet (SP) variant of TFRC, that
is designed for applications that send small packets.  The design
goal for TFRC-SP is to achieve the same bandwidth in bps (bits per
second) as a TCP flow using packets of up to 1500 bytes.  TFRC-SP
enforces a minimum interval of 10 ms between data packets to
prevent a single flow from sending small packets arbitrarily
frequently.

Flows using TFRC-SP compete reasonably fairly with large-packet TCP
and TFRC flows in environments where large-packet flows and
small-packet flows experience similar packet drop rates.  However, in
environments where small-packet flows experience lower packet drop
rates than large-packet flows (e.g., with Drop-Tail queues in units
of bytes), TFRC-SP can receive considerably more than its share of
the bandwidth.  This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the 
Internet community.

This document is a product of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol
Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet 
community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. 
Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution 
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

gestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution 
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce