Subject: Protocol Action: 'Information Model for IP Flow Information Export' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:18:55 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Information Model for IP Flow Information Export '
   <draft-ietf-ipfix-info-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Flow Information Export Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-info-15.txt

Technical Summary
 
The document defines an information model for the IP Flow Information
eXport (IPFIX) protocol.  It is used by the IPFIX protocol for encoding
measured traffic information and information related to the traffic
observation point, the traffic metering process and the exporting process.

  Although developed for the IPFIX protocol, the model is defined in an
open way that easily allows using it in other protocols, interfaces, and
applications.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This document is a regular WG document.  There is strong consensus in the
working group that this information model is appropriate.
 
Protocol Quality
 
The document was thoroughly reviewed by the IPFIX WG.  The OPS AD
performed the Area review and as part of this draft's AD reviews, Scott
Hollenbeck (who was Apps Area Director in March 06) reviewed the draft's
XML schema. His comments have been addressed in this version of the draft.

Furthermore, the IPFIX WG has run two interoperability events, with five
independent implementations tested and working, demonstrating that the
IPFIX documents are of a high technical standard.

Some discussion of this draft continues on the WG mailing list, but no
new information elements will be added before it becomes an RFC, so we
believe that any further changes can be properly addressed as RFC
Editor corrections.

Note to RFC Editor
 
RFC Editor, 

Please make the following changes:

OLD:

3.1.15.  dateTimeSeconds

   The type "dateTimeSeconds" represents a time value in units of
   seconds normalized to the GMT time zone.

3.1.16.  dateTimeMilliseconds

   The type "dateTimeMilliseconds" represents a time value in units of
   milliseconds normalized to the GMT time zone.

3.1.17.  dateTimeMicroseconds

   The type "dateTimeMicroseconds" represents a time value in units of
   microseconds normalized to the GMT time zone.

3.1.18.  dateTimeNanoseconds

   The type "dateTimeNanoseconds" represents a time value in units of
   nanoseconds normalized to the GMT time zone.

NEW:

3.1.15.  dateTimeSeconds

   The type "dateTimeSeconds" represents a time value in units of
   seconds based on coordinated universal time (UTC).  The choice of an
   epoch, such as, for example, 00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970, is left to
   corresponding encoding specifications for this type, such as, for
   example, the IPFIX protocol specification.  Leap seconds are
   excluded.  Note, that transformation of values might be required
   between different encodings if different epoch values are used.

3.1.16.  dateTimeMilliseconds

   The type "dateTimeMilliseconds" represents a time value in units of
   milliseconds based on coordinated universal time (UTC).  The choice of
   an epoch, such as, for example, 00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970, is left
   to corresponding encoding specifications for this type, such as, for
   example, the IPFIX protocol specification.  Leap seconds are
   excluded.  Note, that transformation of values might be required
   between different encodings if different epoch values are used.

3.1.17.  dateTimeMicroseconds

   The type "dateTimeMicroseconds" represents a time value in units of
   microseconds based on coordinated universal time (UTC).  The choice of
   an epoch, such as, for example, 00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970, is left
   to corresponding encoding specifications for this type, such as, for
   example, the IPFIX protocol specification.  Leap seconds are
   excluded.  Note, that transformation of values might be required
   between different encodings if different epoch values are used.

3.1.18.  dateTimeNanoseconds

   The type "dateTimeNamoseconds" represents a time value in units of
   nanoseconds based on coordinated universal time (UTC).  The choice of
   an epoch, such as, for example, 00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970, is left
   to corresponding encoding specifications for this type, such as, for
   example, the IPFIX protocol specification.  Leap seconds are
   excluded.  Note, that transformation of values might be required
   between different encodings if different epoch values are used.

in Appendix B, paragraph 2:

OLD:
  Elements in extensions of the IPFIX information model.  Thi schema
NEW:
  Elements in extensions of the IPFIX information model.  This schema

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce