Subject: Protocol Action: 'SMTP Service Extension for Authentication' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 20:38:01 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'SMTP Service Extension for Authentication '
   <draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis-09.txt

Technical Summary

 This document is a revision of RFC 2554, which specifies the SMTP AUTH
 command, which allows a SMTP client to initiate a SASL authentication
 exchange with a SMTP server.

 This revision of RFC 2554 updated references, cleaned up ABNF, updated
 description of response codes, deprecated one response code, added one
 new enhanced status code, clarified interaction with SMTP PIPELINING
 extension, added SHOULD requirement regarding use of SASLPrep for
 preparing authorization identities, added additional examples
 and also clarified some other issues which weren't clear in RFC 2554.

Working Group Summary

  This document is not the result of a WG.

Document Quality

  The document has been reviewed by Chris Newman, Dave Cridland,
  Frank Ellermann, John Klensin, Tony Finch, Abhijit Menon-Sen and
  Philip Guenther.  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie
  the responsible Area Director is Lisa Dusseault.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce