Subject: Protocol Action: 'IMAP Extension for SASL Initial Client Response' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:51:12 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IMAP Extension for SASL Initial Client Response '
   <draft-siemborski-imap-sasl-initial-response-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Chris Newman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-siemborski-imap-sasl-initial-response-06.txt

Technical Summary

This document defines an extension to IMAP which allows clients and
servers to avoid a round trip at connection establishment time by
allowing an initial client response argument to the IMAP AUTHENTICATE 
command.

Working Group Summary

This document is the product of an individual submitter.  There was
some question whether a new capability to eliminate a single round trip
was worth the effort.  The Lemonade WG's concern with the cost of round
trips strongly supports moving this forward.

Protocol Quality

There are three client implementations and four server implementations
by Lemonade WG participants.  This document was reviewed by the Lemonade
WG mailing list.  The responsible Area Director is Chris Newman.

Note to RFC Editor

Section 5:
OLD:
    The IANA is requested to add SASL-IR to the list of IMAP extensions.
NEW:
    The IANA is requested to add SASL-IR to the IMAP4 Capabilities
    Registry.

IANA Note

     This registration should take place at the following
     location: http://www.iana.org/assignments/imap4-capabilities

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce