Subject: RFC 4884 on Extended ICMP to Support Multi-Part Messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:58:12 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4884

        Title:      Extended ICMP to Support Multi-Part 
                    Messages 
        Author:     R. Bonica, D. Gan,
                    D. Tappan, C. Pignataro
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       April 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 42169
        Updates:    RFC0792, RFC4443
        See-Also:   

        I-D Tag:    draft-bonica-internet-icmp-16.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4884.txt

This document redefines selected ICMP messages to support multi-part
operation.  A multi-part ICMP message carries all of the information
that ICMP messages carried previously, as well as additional
information that applications may require.

Multi-part messages are supported by an ICMP extension structure.
The extension structure is situated at the end of the ICMP message.
It includes an extension header followed by one or more extension
objects.  Each extension object contains an object header and object
payload.  All object headers share a common format.

This document further redefines the above mentioned ICMP messages by
specifying a length attribute.  All of the currently defined ICMP
messages to which an extension structure can be appended include an
"original datagram" field.  The "original datagram" field contains
the initial octets of the datagram that elicited the ICMP error
message.  Although the original datagram field is of variable length,
the ICMP message does not include a field that specifies its length.
Therefore, in order to facilitate message parsing, this document
allocates eight previously reserved bits to reflect the length of the
"original datagram" field.

The proposed modifications change the requirements for ICMP
compliance.  The impact of these changes on compliant implementations
is discussed, and new requirements for future implementations are
presented.

This memo updates RFC 792 and RFC 4443.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce