Subject: RFC 4843 on An IPv6 Prefix for Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers (ORCHID)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:39:41 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4843

        Title:      An IPv6 Prefix for Overlay 
                    Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers (ORCHID) 
        Author:     P. Nikander, J. Laganier,
                    F. Dupont
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       April 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 32483
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-laganier-ipv6-khi-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4843.txt

This document introduces Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash
Identifiers (ORCHID) as a new, experimental class of IPv6-address-
like identifiers.  These identifiers are intended to be used as
endpoint identifiers at applications and Application Programming
Interfaces (API) and not as identifiers for network location at the
IP layer, i.e., locators.  They are designed to appear as application
layer entities and at the existing IPv6 APIs, but they should not
appear in actual IPv6 headers.  To make them more like vanilla IPv6
addresses, they are expected to be routable at an overlay level.
Consequently, while they are considered non-routable addresses from
the IPv6 layer point-of-view, all existing IPv6 applications are
expected to be able to use them in a manner compatible with current
IPv6 addresses.

This document requests IANA to allocate a temporary prefix out of the
IPv6 addressing space for Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash
Identifiers.  By default, the prefix will be returned to IANA in
2014, with continued use requiring IETF consensus.  This memo defines an 
Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet 
community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. 
Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distion.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce