Subject: Protocol Action: 'Dialstring parameter for the Session Initiation Protocol Uniform Resource Identifier' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:18:42 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Dialstring parameter for the Session Initiation Protocol Uniform 
   Resource Identifier '
   <draft-rosen-iptel-dialstring-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosen-iptel-dialstring-05.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document provides a way of incorporating a dial string into the SIP
or SIPS URI scheme. A dial string is a cousin of a telephone number, but
rather than taking the form of a fully-qualified E.164 or
national-specific telephone number, it is a description of a literal set
of dialed digits that would be delivered over a POTS line. As such, it may
include pauses, omit prefixes like area codes, and its applicability is
necessarily restricted to a particular context (an enterprise, a LATA,
etc). Support for dialstrings was formerly a feature of the tel: URI
scheme specification (back in RFC2806); since that functionality did not
make it into the revision (RFC3966), it is provided here specifically for
the SIP and SIPS case.
 
Working Group Summary
 
Although this is an individual submission, it was discussed in the IPTEL
WG and did not encounter any resistance.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce