Subject: Document Action: 'Softwire Problem Statement' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:58:50 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Softwire Problem Statement '
   <draft-ietf-softwire-problem-statement-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Softwires Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Mark Townsley and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-softwire-problem-statement-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
   The Softwires Working Group is specifying the standardization of
   discovery, control and encapsulation methods for connecting IPv4
   networks across IPv6-only networks and IPv6 networks across IPv4-only
   networks in a way that will encourage multiple, inter-operable vendor
   implementations.  At the highest level, the Softwires Working Group
   is tasked to identify, and extend where necessary, standard protocols
   to support a selected set of "IPv4/IPv6" and "IPv6/IPv4" transition
   problems.  This document describes the specific problems ("Hubs and
   Spokes" and "Mesh") that will be solved as part of a solution phase
   following the completion of this document, within a relatively tight
   "time-to-market" as requested by operators at IETF 63.  Some
   individual requirements (and non-requirements) are also identified in
   this document at times in order to better describe the specific scope
   for a given problem definition.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   One of the primary missions of the softwires WG is to define the 
   problem spaces for which it is going to provide solutions for (one
   solution per problem space). The WG held its first Interim meeting 
   in Sept 2005, and after much discussion narrowed the space down to
   problems associated with two general topologies, as defined in 
   this document. Consensus was solid that these were the problems that
   the WG was going to address in its next phase, and this document has
   been the basis for that work (which has already advanced considerably).

Protocol Quality
 
   There is no protocol defined here as this is a problem statement 
   document. The document has been reviewed for the IESG by Mark
   Townsley, and softwire WG chairs Alain Durand and David Ward.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce