Subject: Document Action: 'A Framework for Supporting Emergency Telecommunications Services (ETS) Within a Single Administrative Domain' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:27:59 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Framework for Supporting Emergency Telecommunications Services (ETS) 
   Within a Single Administrative Domain '
   <draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-frame-08.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Internet Emergency Preparedness 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-frame-08.txt

Technical Summary

This document presents a framework discussing the role of various
protocols andmechanisms that could be considered candidates for supporting
Emergency Telecommunication Services (ETS) within a single administrative
domain.  Comments about their potential usage as well as their current
deployment are provided to the reader.  Specific solutions are not
presented.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The IEPREP WG supported the advancement of this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson.

Note to RFC Editor

Section 3.1
 
OLD:
  A more ambitious way of supporting the mobile user is through the use
  of the Mobile IP (MIP) protocol.  In this case and at the IP level,
  foreign networks introduce the concept of triangle routing and the
  potential for multiple access points and service context within a
  subnetwork.  In addition, policy plays a critical role in dictating
  the measure of available services to the mobile user.

  The beaconing capability of MIP allows it to offer a measure of
  application transparent mobility as a mobile host (MH) moves from one
  subnetwork to another.

  However, this feature may not be available in
  most domains.  In addition, its management requirements may
  discourage its widespread deployment and use.  Hence, users should
  probably not rely on its existence, but rather may want to expect a
  more simpler approach based on DHCP as described above.  The subject
  of mobile IP is discussed below in Section 4.
NEW:
  A more ambitious way of supporting the mobile user is through 
  the use of the Mobile IP (MIP) protocol. MIP offers a measure of
  application transparent mobility as a mobile host moves
  from one subnetwork to another while keeping the same stable
  IP address registered at a global anchor point. However, this
  feature may not always be available or in use. In any case,
  where it is in use, at least some of the packets destined to
  and from the mobile host go through the home network.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce