Subject: Protocol Action: 'Forward Error Correction (FEC) Building Block' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:49:52 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Forward Error Correction (FEC) Building Block '
   <draft-ietf-rmt-fec-bb-revised-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rmt-fec-bb-revised-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document describes how to use Forward Error Correction (FEC)
codes to efficiently provide and/or augment reliability for data
transport. This document defines a framework for the definition of
the information that needs to be communicated in order to use an FEC
code for delivering content, in addition to the encoded data itself,
and for definition of formats and codes for communication of that
information.

The procedures for specifying new FEC codes, defining the information
communication requirements associated with those codes and registering
them with the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) are also
described.

This document is a building block upon which other specification of
the RMT WG are based.

Working Group Summary

There is consensus in the WG to publish these documents.

Protocol Quality
 
A previous version of this document was reviewed by the IESG and
published as RFC 3452. The current version does not differ
significantly from RFC 3452 and it allows backward compatible
implementation of known protocols that used RFC 3452.

The content of this document is the base for a number of existing
protocol implementations, both complying to this version of the
document and to the previous version documented in RFC 3452. There
are multiple independent implementations of 2 different protocols,
known as NORM and ALC, that use the specification in this document.
Different implementations of each protocols are interoperable.

ALC is also adopted in the 3GPP standard TS26.346.

Personell

Lorenzo Vicisano is the Document Shepherd. Magnus Westerlund the
responsible AD.

Note to RFC Editor
 
Section 15.2:
OLD:

   [7]   Rivest, R., "The MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm", RFC 1321,
         April 1992.

NEW:

   [7]   Federal Information Processing Standards Publication
         (FIPS PUB) 180-1, Secure Hash Standard, 17 April 1995.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce