Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: S/MIME Mail Security (smime)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:50:02 -0400

The charter of the S/MIME Mail Security (smime) working group in the
Security Area of the IETF has been updated. For additional information,
please contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

S/MIME Mail Security (smime)
==============================

Currect Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Sean Turner <[email-masked]> 
Blake Ramsdell <[email-masked]> 

Security Area Director(s):
Tim Polk <[email-masked]> 
Sam Hartman <[email-masked]> 

Security Area Advisor:
Tim Polk <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/

Description of Working Group:

The S/MIME WG was established in the winter of 1997 to define MIME 
encapsulation techniques of
objects whose format was based on PKCS#7 (RFC2315). These 
encapsulation techniques can be
used to provide security services for an arbitrary encapsulated content.

Initially the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) (RFC2630) was not 
algorithm independent; however,
the 1st revision separated the syntax (RFC3369) and the algorithms 
(RFC3370) to allow the two to be
updated without affecting one another. Since this split, other 
documents have been written to document
the use of CMS with other algorithms (e.g., ECDSA, AES, GOST). Also 
since the initial CMS, additional
key management techniques (e.g., password-based and an extensible 
type) and encapsulation techniques
(e.g., compression) have been added and other documents have been 
written to add additional security
services. CMS is also transport independent, and documents have been 
written to define a consistent
way to transport MIME objects.

The S/MIME specifications, one for the message specification and 
another for certificate handling, have
been updated to migrate algorithms over time.

Appropriate WG topics are as follows:

- Specifications for the use of additional cryptographic algorithms 
with CMS.
- Specifications that define additional CMS content types.
- Specifications to document algorithm migration of S/MIME.
- With the approval of the area director, specifications that define 
additional CMS security services.

The WG will perform interoperability testing to progress the CMS and 
S/MIME Specifications to Draft Standard.

Submit S/MIME Message Specification as Proposed Standard Dec 2007
Submit S/MIME Certificate Handling as Proposed Standard Dec 2007
Submit SHA-2 algorithms with CMS as Proposed Standard Dec 2007
Submit CMS as Draft 
Standard Dec 
2008
Submit necessary algorithms documents* as Draft Standard Dec 2008
Submit Enhanced Security Services as Draft Standard Dec 2008
Submit S/MIME Message Specification as Draft Standard Dec 2008
Submit S/MIME Certificate Handling as Draft Standard Dec 2008

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce