Subject: Document Action: 'IPv4 Reassembly Errors at High Data Rates' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 10:06:11 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IPv4 Reassembly Errors at High Data Rates '
   <draft-heffner-frag-harmful-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-heffner-frag-harmful-05.txt

Technical Summary

   This document discusses issues with fragmentation in today's Internet.

   The 16-bit IP identification field is not large enough to prevent
   frequent incorrectly assembled IP fragments, and the TCP and 
   UDP checksums are insufficient to prevent the resulting corrupted
   datagrams from being delivered to higher protocol layers.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   This document is not the product of a WG, but has undergone
   review in the Transport and Internet areas, in addition to an IETF
   Last Call.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   Prototype implementations (of an earlier draft) are available for
   Linux, NetBSD and ns2
   (http://www.psc.edu/~mathis/MTU/pmtud/index.html).

   Lars Eggert has reviewed this spec for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce