Subject: Re: Informational RFC to be: draft-irtf-p2prg-survey-search-01.txt

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:14:37 -0400

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'Survey of Research 
towards Robust Peer-to-Peer Networks: Search Methods' 
<draft-irtf-p2prg-survey-search-01.txt> as an Informational RFC. 

The IESG would also like the RFC-Editor to review the comments in the 
datatracker 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=14535&rfc_flag=0)
related to this document and determine whether or not they merit 
incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both the ballot 
and the comment log. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-p2prg-survey-search-01.txt

The process for such documents is described at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html.

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary
 
  The pace of research on peer-to-peer (P2P) networking in the last 
  five years warrants a critical survey. P2P has the makings of a 
  disruptive technology - it can aggregate enormous storage and 
  processing resources while minimizing entry and scaling costs. 

  Failures are common amongst massive numbers of distributed peers, 
  though the impact of individual failures may be less than in 
  conventional architectures. Thus the key to realizing P2P's potential 
  in applications other than casual file sharing is robustness. 

  P2P search methods are first couched within an overall P2P taxonomy. 
  P2P indexes for simple key lookup are assessed, including those based 
  on Plaxton trees, rings, tori, butterflies, de Bruijn graphs and skip 
  graphs. Similarly, P2P indexes for keyword lookup, information 
  retrieval and data management are explored. Finally, early efforts to 
  optimize range, multi-attribute, join and aggregation queries over 
  P2P indexes are reviewed. Insofar as they are available in the 
  primary literature, robustness mechanisms and metrics are highlighted
  throughout. However, the low-level mechanisms that most affect  
  robustness are not well isolated in the literature. Recommendations
  are given for future research. 
 
Working Group Summary

  This is not the product of any IETF Working Group.  It is the
  product of the IRTF P2P Research Group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  It was reviewed for the RFC Editor by Ali Ghodsi and Sam Joseph.

IESG Note

  This RFC is not a candidate for any level of Internet Standard.
  The IETF disclaims any knowledge of the fitness of this RFC for
  any purpose and notes that the decision to publish is not based on
  IETF review apart from IESG review for conflict with IETF work.
  The RFC Editor has chosen to publish this document at its
  discretion.  See RFC 3932 for more information.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce