Subject: Protocol Action: 'The IMAP COMPRESS Extension' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 11:37:49 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The IMAP COMPRESS Extension '
   <draft-ietf-lemonade-compress-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Enhancements to Internet email to 
Support Diverse Service Environments Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Chris Newman and Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-compress-08.txt

Technical Summary

This document specifies an IMAP extension to compress IMAP commands and
responses and gives some advice on how to implement that to the best
possible effect.

It does not create any IANA registry or define several compression
mechanisms: The WG believes that in the long term, TLS compression
availability will make this extension obsolete. However, if that
should be wrong, the document leaves an option to define more
mechanisms and a registry later.

Working Group Summary

There is consensus in the WG to publish this document.

Document Quality

Many members of the Lemonade WG, including Dave Criland, Ned Freed,
Philip Guenther, Randy Gellens and Tony Hansen, have reviewed the
document.  Eric Rescorla (non-work group) has provided a security
review and also gave valuable feed back. The protocol has been
implemented by three servers and two clients and was shown to
interoperate.

The document has been checked manually and using idnits 1.118, and
passed both checks. The IANA Considerations section is sensible and
consistent.

The (four-line) ABNF has been manually checked.

Eric Burger shepherds this document. He has reviewed this document and
believes the -06 version is ready for publication.  The responsible AD
is Chris Newman

Note to RFC Editor

Section 2, penultimate paragraph:
OLD:
     IMAP clients MAY use either COMPRESS or TLS compression.

NEW:
     IMAP clients MAY use either COMPRESS or TLS compression,
     however, if client and server support both, it is  RECOMMENDED
     that the client chooses TLS compression.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce