Subject: Nomcom 2007-8: Randomness Sources for review

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:04:47 -0700

Folks,

As per the announced timeline 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/show_nomcom_message.cgi?id=1231), 
which is 3777-compliant, the method of random selection was to be 
announced on July 6, 2007.  I am presenting it earlier for your review.

In the past few cycles, nomcom chairs have used Wall Street's trading 
volumes as the sources of randomness to RFC 3797 random selection process.

However, I don't currently subscribe to the Wall Street Journal  :)  and 
besides RFC 3797 suggests that stock prices and/or volumes are a poor 
source of unambiguous data anyway, so I chose the following randomness 
sources; please review them and let me know if there are objections. 
The following dates assume that I can actually publish the list of 
volunteers on July 6th 2007 (as of today that has a high likelihood).

1. EuroMillions  Fri July 13, 2007 Results:

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/results/results.do

All 7 numbers (5 numbers from 1 - 50 and 2 Lucky Stars from 1 - 9)
Results available online around 10 PM UK time.

e.g., Fri  Jun, 22 07 results 11 16 17 22 34 05 06
We input 11 16 17 22 34 5 6

2. US National debt ("Debt Held by the Public"), published by the 
Treasury department as of July 12, 2007 (Published on July 13, 2007)

"The system is updated daily with the previous day's data.  The update 
typically takes place around 3:00 pm EDT."

That according to

"
-Will
Web Development Branch
Bureau of the Public Debt"

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np

Last 8 digits, ignore the commas and periods from the "Debt Held by the 
Public"

e.g., Fri June 22, 2007  4,950,586,161,721.14
We select  16172114

3. US National debt ("Intragovernmental Holdings"), published by the 
Treasury department as of July 12, 2007 (Published on July 13, 2007)

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np

Last 8 digits, ignore the commas and periods from the "Intragovernmental 
Holdings"

e.g., Fri June 22, 2007    3,852,643,882,285.79
We select  88228579

4. Lottery again, Megamillions

http://www.megamillions.com/winningpicks/last_25.asp

All 6 numbers (including the Mega Ball) from the drawing on July 13,
2007 (at 11:00 pm US Eastern time).

e.g., Fri June 22, 2007 result 11, 14, 21, 24, 31, 23
We input 11 14 21 24 31 23

All the inputs are to RFC 3797 selection algorithm.  There is source 
code in that RFC and an example.

regards,
Lakshminath
Nomcom 2007-8 Chair

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce