Subject: Document Action: 'Suite B in Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:09:44 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Suite B in Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) '
   <draft-housley-smime-suite-b-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-housley-smime-suite-b-02.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document specifies the conventions for using the United States
National Security Agency's Suite B algorithms in Secure/Multipurpose
Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME).  By specifying the use of Suite B in
S/MIME and the underlying Cryptographic Message Syntax structures
(i.e, the signed-data and the enveloped-data content types), this
specification supports interopable deployment of IETF protocols to
new user communities.

Working Group Summary
 
ID publication was posted on the S/MIME working group list, but there
was no discussion in the list.  The technical content is a straightforward
application of the Suite B cryptographic Suite to the S/MIME
specifications, and was not perceived to be controversial.
 
Protocol Quality
 
Tim Polk reviewed this specification for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce