Subject: BCP0097 RFC 4897 on Handling Normative References to Standards-Track Documents

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:32:55 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 97        
        RFC 4897

        Title:      Handling Normative References to Standards-Track 
                    Documents 
        Author:     J. Klensin, S. Hartman
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       June 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 13023

        I-D Tag:    draft-klensin-norm-ref-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4897.txt

The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and Request for Comments
(RFC) Editor have a long-standing rule that a document at a given
maturity level cannot be published until all of the documents that it
references as normative are at that maturity level or higher.  This
rule has sometimes resulted in very long publication delays for
documents and some claims that it was a major obstruction to
advancing documents in maturity level.  The IETF agreed on a way to
bypass this rule with RFC 3967.  This document describes a simpler
procedure for downward references to Standards-Track and Best Current
Practice (BCP) documents, namely "note and move on".  The procedure
in RFC 3967 still applies for downward references to other classes of
documents.  In both cases, annotations should be added to such
References.  This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices 
for the Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce