Subject: Nomcom 2007-8: Notes on Voting Member Time Commitment

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:34:35 -0700

Folks

Some of you have asked for clarifications on the time commitments of 
voting members.  BCP 10 has the details of the process and the role of 
the voting and non-voting members.  Here are some notes for your quick 
reference on how it might be in practice:

If all goes well with the selection process, the members begin their 
work at the Chicago IETF meeting.  The plan is for the members to attend 
the Chicago and Vancouver IETF meetings to interview and/or gather 
feedback and input from the community, including people in leadership 
positions: WG and RG chairs, the IAOC, the IAB and the IESG.  We can 
address exceptional circumstances on a case-by-case basis, but that is 
the general expectation.

The Nomcom will then spend about a month (4-5 weeks) self-organizing. 
There will be 1-2 hrs per week of conference calls and BCP 10 as the 
reading assignment.  As with anything IETF, there will be some email 
traffic too.

Subsequent to that, the candidate selection phase begins which lasts 
about 4 months.  During that phase there is a good amount of reading: 
especially candidate statements and community feedback.  There will also 
be discussions and deliberations via 2 hrs per week of conference calls 
and email.  That's under normal operating conditions.  If there are 
interim openings, there will be slightly additional work.

We (the entire nomcom) can make efforts to distribute the work evenly 
over that period of 5 months, so as to be as non-disruptive to our day 
jobs as possible.

If you have any specific questions or requests for clarifications, 
please do not hesitate to contact me.

thanks,
Lakshminath
Nomcom 2007-8 Chair

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce