Subject: Protocol Action: 'DHCPv4 Relay Agent Flags Suboption' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:10:26 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'DHCPv4 Relay Agent Flags Suboption '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-relay-agent-flags-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-relay-agent-flags-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
  The document specifies a relay agent suboption that a relay agent
  must include in the relay agent information option. The suboption
  contains flags that an agent can use to provide the server
  information about a client that would otherwise not be available
  to the server. This document also specifies one flag for this
  option to tell the server whether the client messages was sent as
  unicast or broadcast. This flag is useful when server override as
  specified in draft-ietf-dhc-server-override-04 is used.

Working Group Summary

  An issue with server override and server not being able to know
  whether the client message was unicast or broadcast (to
  distinguish between renew and rebind) was brought up in response
  to IETF last call of draft-ietf-dhc-server-override-03 in February
  2006. After discussions in the wg in February and March it was
  concluded that some relay agent sub-option was needed for this.
  This draft was adopted as a wg item after verifying consensus
  on the wg mailing list in June 2006. WGLC was done in September
  2006. Several people supported this document and none were
  against. There were some editorial comments. This new revision
  has been changed to accomodate those comments.

Protocol Quality

  The protocol specified in this document specifies a new DHCPv4
  relay agent suboption. The specification of this protocol is
  pretty simple, and should be trivial to implement.

  Jari Arkko has reviewed this specification for the
  IESG. Thomas Narten has reviewed this specification
  for the IP Directorate.

Note to RFC Editor

   Please expand the acronym DHCP on its first use in the title and in
   the abstract.

   In the last line of the first paragraph of the Introduction,
   the period should go after the references:

   OLD:
   DHCP Server.  [RFC2131] [RFC2132] [RFC3046]
   NEW:
   DHCP Server  [RFC2131] [RFC2132] [RFC3046].

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce