Subject: Nomcom 2007-8: Second Call for Volunteers (Deadline: July 5, 2007 at 12:00 Noon ET, 16:00 UTC/GMT)

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:11:51 -0700

Folks,

This is the Second Call for Volunteers.

If you have attended 3 out of the past 5 IETF meetings, you are eligible
to serve on Nomcom 2007-2008.  Please volunteer and you may become one
of the voting members of the committee that selects about half of the
members to the IESG and IAB and one IAOC member.  RFC 3777 describes the
process and the responsibilities in detail.  Below is the list of people
from the IESG, IAB and IAOC whose terms end during the March 2008 IETF
meeting.

IAOC:

Ed Juskevicius

IAB:

Leslie Daigle
Elwyn Davies
Kevin Fall
Olaf Kolkman
David Oran
Eric Rescorla

IESG:

Lisa Dusseault -- Applications Area Director
Jari Arkko -- Internet Area Director
Dan Romascanu -- Operations and Management Area Director
Cullen Jennings -- Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director
Ross Callon --- Routing Area Director
Sam Hartman -- Security Area Director
Magnus Westerlund -- Transport Area Director

Before volunteering, please think about whether you want to be
considered for one of those positions instead.  If you are already
convinced, please send an email before 12:00 noon ET (16:00 UTC/GMT) on
July 5, 2007 (otherwise, please read on)

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Nomcom 2007-8 Volunteer
Body:

<Your Full Name>   // As you enter in the IETF Registration Form,
                           // First/Given name followed by Last/Family Name
<Current Primary Affiliation> // typically what goes in the Company field
                                          //  in the IETF Registration Form
[<all email addresses used to Register for the past 5 IETF meetings>]
<Preferred email address>  //
<Telephone number>         // For confirmation if selected

Please expect an email response from me within 1-2 days stating
whether you are qualified or not.  If you don't receive anything, please
re-send your email with the tag (duplicate) in the subject line.

Not convinced yet?  Please consider that nomcom members play an
important role in shaping the leadership of the IETF.  If you are a
people person, you will enjoy meeting many of the active contributors to
the IETF.  If you prefer instead to read a lot of email, well, we have
that too.  Being a nomcom member is also an important responsibility: it
requires adherence to confidentiality rules and some time commitment
from the members.  The term begins just prior to the Chicago meeting and
we expect most of the work to be completed by January 2008.  During this
period, the nomcom members

-- collect requirements from the community and interviews candidates
     during the Chicago and Vancouver IETF meetings
-- review candidates' statements and weighs community feedback
-- participate in candidate selection deliberations (weekly conferences
calls)

Nomcom members are selected following a publicly verifiable random
selection method specified in RFC 3797.

For the nomcom to work as it should, the pool from which the volunteers
are chosen should be as large as possible. The more people who
volunteer, the better chance we have of choosing a random yet
representative cross section of the IETF population.

Ensuring the leadership of the IETF is fair and balanced and comprised
of those who can lead the IETF in the right direction is an important
responsibility that rests on the IETF participants at large.  Volunteering
for the nomcom is a good way of contributing in that direction.  So
please volunteer!

thanks,
Lakshminath

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce