Subject: Protocol Action: 'WITHIN Search extension to the IMAP Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:14:38 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'WITHIN Search extension to the IMAP Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-lemonade-search-within-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Enhancements to Internet email to 
Support Diverse Service Environments Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Chris Newman and Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-search-within-05.txt

Technical Summary

   This document describes the WITHIN extension to IMAP SEARCH.  IMAP
   SEARCH returns messages whose internal date is within or outside a
   specified interval.  The mechanism described here, OLDER and YOUNGER,
   differs from BEFORE and SINCE in that the client specifies an
   interval, rather than a date.  WITHIN is useful for persistent
   searches where either the device does not have the capacity to
   perform the search at regular intervals or the network is of limited
   bandwidth and thus there is a desire to reduce network traffic from
   sending repeated requests and redundant responses.

Working Group Summary

There is consensus in the WG to publish this document.  The WG had some
difficulty finding text to represent the tension between use of this
extension for a single search vs. use of this extension for a persistant
search.  In the latter case there was WG consensus that the server
be permitted to allow updates to lag in order to permit polling-based
implementations on the server.

Document Quality

Virtually all members of the Lemonade WG have reviewed the document. 
Dave Cridland contributed significant text.

Note to RFC Editor
In section 1:

OLD:
  subtracting the time interval the client presents. The server then
  either returnings messages older or younger than the resultant time
  and date, depending on the search key used.
NEW:
  subtracting the time interval the client presents from the current
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  date and time of the server. The server then either returns messages
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                         ^^^^^^^
  older or younger than the resultant time and date, depending on the
  search key used.

In Section 3, first paragraph:

OLD:
   The following syntax specification uses the Augmented Backus-Naur
   Form (ABNF) notation.  Elements not defined here can be found in the
   formal syntax of ABNF [1], IMAP [2], and IMAP Extended ABNF [3]

NEW:
   The following syntax specification uses the Augmented Backus-Naur
   Form (ABNF) notation.  Elements not defined here can be found in the
   formal syntax of ABNF [3] and IMAP [2].

In section 7:

OLD:
   [3]  Melnikov, A. and C. Daboo, "Collected Extensions to IMAP4 ABNF",
        RFC 4466, April 2006.
NEW:
   [3] Crocker, Overell, "Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications:
         ABNF", RFC 4234, October 2005.

OLD:
   [4]  Melnikov, D. and C. Daboo, "Contexts for IMAP4",
        draft-cridland-imap-context-02 (work in progress), May 2006.
NEW:
   [4]  Cridland, D. and C. King, "Contexts for IMAP4",
        draft-cridland-imap-context-02 (work in progress), May 2006.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce