Subject: 69th IETF - PGP Key Signing

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:03:43 -0400

Once again, we will be holding a PGP Key signing party at the 69th IETF
meeting in Chicago. We have been scheduled to meet at 1620 on the evening
of Wednesday, July 25 in Salon 2.  Note that we have a very tight
time-slot between the last afternoon and the plenary, so please be on
time.

The procedure we will use is the following:

o People who wish to participate may do so in one of two ways. You may
  bring slips of paper with your name, e-mail address, key-id, and key
  fingerprint. (One way of generating this if using gpg is "gpg
  --list-keys --fingerprint my_username@hostname") You should bring
  enough for everyone who may attend; given recent attendance patterns,
  around 50 should be more than enough. (You can generally fit 10-12
  strips containing your key fingerprint on a single sheet of paper, and
  then cut out strips to hand out.)

o Alternatively, you may email an ASCII extract of their PGP public key
  to <[email-masked]> by noon on Wednesday, July 25. Please include
  a subject line of "IETF PGP KEY", and please DO NOT MIME-ENCRYPT your
  e-mail; send it to me as plain text.

  The method of generating the ASCII extract under Unix is:

        pgp -kxa my_email_address mykey.asc (pgp 2.6.2)
        pgpk -xa my_email_address > mykey.asc (pgp 5.x)
        gpg --export -a my_email_address > mykey.asc (gpg)

  If you're using Windows or Macintosh, hopefully it will be Intuitively
  Obvious (tm) using the GUI interface how to generate an ASCII armored
  key that begins "-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----".

o By 1500 on Wednesday, you will be able to fetch complete key ring
  from any of the following locations with all of the keys that were
  submitted:

        /afs/grand.central.org/project/ietf-pgp/ietf69/ietf69.pgp
        http://grand.central.org/dl/ietf-pgp/ietf69/ietf69.pgp
        ftp://grand.central.org/pub/ietf-pgp/ietf69/ietf69.pgp

o At 1620, come prepared with the PGP Key fingerprint of your PGP
  public key; we will have handouts with all of the key fingerprints of
  the keys that people have mailed in.

o In turn, readers at the front of the room will recite people's keys;
  as your key fingerprint is read, stand up, and at the end of reading
  of your PGP key fingerprint, acknowledge that the fingerprint as read
  was correct.

o Later that evening, or perhaps when you get home, you can sign the
  keys corresponding to the fingerprints which you were able to verify
  on the handout; note that it is advisable that you only sign keys of
  people when you have personal knowledge that the person who stood up
  during the reading of his/her fingerprint really is the person which
  he/she claimed to be.

o Send the signed keys to the owners, and, optionally, to the PGP key
  servers. Some poeple opt to NOT send the signed keys to the
  keyservers, but rather choose to send them only to the e-mail address
  on the key's userid, encrypted for that particular key. This tends to
  ensures the validity of the e-mail address.

Note that you don't have to have a laptop with you; if you don't have any
locally trusted computing resources during the key signing party, you can
make notes on the handout, and on the strips of papers, and then take
these and sign the keys later.

Acknowledgement: The bulk of the text of this message was taken from the
messages usually sent by Ted Ts'o to announce IETF key signing parties.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce