Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:19:17 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM) '
   <draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Routing Area Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and David Ward.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-10.txt

Technical Summary
 
  The use of a packet's Time to Live (TTL) (IPv4) or Hop Limit (IPv6)
  to verify whether the packet was originated by an adjacent node on a
  connected link has been used in many recent protocols.  This document
  generalizes this technique.  This document obsoletes RFC 3682.

Working Group Summary
 
  No dissent reported. This document defines an easy-to-deploy 
  (ie easy to configure) and computationally simple / efficient 
  mechanism which might be considered to be less robust than 
  cryptographic authentication techniques, and as such there is 
  inevitably some difference of opinion regarding how valuable 
  this is. On many platforms this technique is computationally 
  significantly more efficient than cryptographic authentication 
  methods, and therefore may be more effective against DOS attacks. 
 
Protocol Quality
 
  Ross Callon has reviewed this spec for the IESG. This document 
  updates an experimental RFC that is implemented and widely deployed.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce