Subject: Document Action: 'The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Spam' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:24:32 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Spam '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-spam-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal 
Investigation Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-spam-05.txt

Technical Summary
 
Spam, defined as the transmission of bulk unsolicited messages, has
plagued Internet email. Unfortunately, spam is not limited to email.
It can affect any system that enables user to user communications.
The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) defines a system for user to
user multimedia communications. Therefore, it is susceptible to
spam, just as email is. In this document, we analyze the problem of
spam in SIP. We first identify the ways in which the problem is the
same and the ways in which it is different from email. We then
examine the various possible solutions that have been discussed for
email and consider their applicability to SIP.
 
Working Group Summary
 
There was strong consensus behind this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson. Gonzalo Camarillo
is the PROTO sherpherd. Vijay Gurbani provided dedicated review for the
SIPPING working group. Donald Eastlake III provided a security directorate
review.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce