Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using AES-CCM and AES-GCM Authenticated Encryption in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:24:31 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Using AES-CCM and AES-GCM Authenticated Encryption in the 
   Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) '
   <draft-ietf-smime-cms-aes-ccm-and-gcm-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Sam Hartman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cms-aes-ccm-and-gcm-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document specifies the conventions for using the AES-CCM and the
AES-GCM authenticated encryption algorithms with the Cryptographic Message
Syntax (CMS) authenticated-enveloped-data content type.

Working Group Summary

This document is a product of the S/MIME working group.  The document is
straightforward, describing how to use AES in CCM and GCM modes with the
new CMS content-type: Authenticated-Enveloped Data.  The document
provides some background on the algorithms, OIDs, and where to put
the OIDs in the ASN.1.  The working group had no  issues with the content
of this specification.

Protocol Quality
 
Tim Polk reviewed this specification for the IESG.  There are no current
implementations, but working group participants have expressed interest
in implementing this specification.

Note to RFC Editor
 
This document contains a normative reference to [GCM], a standard that is
in progress at another standards development organization.  Final
publication is expected in August 2007.  Please confirm final publication
of NIST Special Publication 800-38D "Recommendation for Block Cipher
Modes of Operation: Galois/Counter Mode (GCM) and GMAC" before
publishing this RFC.  To verify the status of 800-38D and confirm the
URL, please contact<[email-masked]> before publication. 
Please CC <[email-masked]> on the message.

Please replace the current citation for [GCM] with the following text:

OLD

   [GCM]       McGrew, D. and J. Viega, "The Galois/Counter Mode of
                   Operation (GCM)", Submission to NIST, May 2005.
                   http://csrc.nist.gov/CryptoToolkit/modes/proposedmodes/

                   gcm/gcm-revised-spec.pdf.

NEW

   [GCM]      Dworkin, M., "NIST Special Publication 800-38D:
                  Recommendation for Block Cipher Modes of Operation:
                  Galois/Counter Mode (GCM) and GMAC.", U.S. National
                  Institute of Standards and Technology http://
                 
csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-38D/SP800-38D.pdf.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce