Subject: RFC 4943 on IPv6 Neighbor Discovery On-Link Assumption Considered Harmful

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:33:26 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4943

        Title:      IPv6 Neighbor Discovery On-Link Assumption 
                    Considered Harmful 
        Author:     S. Roy, A. Durand,
                    J. Paugh
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       September 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 16719
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-onlinkassumption-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4943.txt

This document describes the historical and background information
behind the removal of the "on-link assumption" from the conceptual
host sending algorithm defined in Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6
(IPv6).  According to the algorithm as originally described, when a
host's default router list is empty, the host assumes that all
destinations are on-link.  This is particularly problematic with
IPv6-capable nodes that do not have off-link IPv6 connectivity (e.g.,
no default router).  This document describes how making this
assumption causes problems and how these problems outweigh the
benefits of this part of the conceptual sending algorithm.  This memo 
provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations
Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce