Subject: RFC 5014 on IPv6 Socket API for Source Address Selection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:54:03 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5014

        Title:      IPv6 Socket API for Source 
                    Address Selection 
        Author:     E. Nordmark, S. Chakrabarti,
                    J. Laganier
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       September 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 53601
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-chakrabarti-ipv6-addrselect-api-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5014.txt

The IPv6 default address selection document (RFC 3484) describes the
rules for selecting source and destination IPv6 addresses, and
indicates that applications should be able to reverse the sense of
some of the address selection rules through some unspecified API.
However, no such socket API exists in the basic (RFC 3493) or
advanced (RFC 3542) IPv6 socket API documents.  This document fills
that gap partially by specifying new socket-level options for source
address selection and flags for the getaddrinfo() API to specify
address selection based on the source address preference in
accordance with the socket-level options that modify the default
source address selection algorithm.  The socket API described in this
document will be particularly useful for IPv6 applications that want
to choose between temporary and public addresses, and for Mobile IPv6
aware applications that want to use the care-of address for
communication.  It also specifies socket options and flags for
selecting Cryptographically Generated Address (CGA) or non-CGA source
addresses.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce