Subject: RFC 4976 on Relay Extensions for the Message Sessions Relay Protocol (MSRP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:32:32 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4976

        Title:      Relay Extensions for the Message 
                    Sessions Relay Protocol (MSRP) 
        Author:     C. Jennings, R. Mahy,
                    A. B. Roach
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      36
        Characters: 84244
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-simple-msrp-relays-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4976.txt

Two separate models for conveying instant messages have been defined.
Page-mode messages stand alone and are not part of a Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP) session, whereas session-mode messages are set
up as part of a session using SIP.  The Message Session Relay Protocol
(MSRP) is a protocol for near real-time, peer-to-peer exchanges of
binary content without intermediaries, which is designed to be
signaled using a separate rendezvous protocol such as SIP.  This
document introduces the notion of message relay intermediaries to MSRP
and describes the extensions necessary to use them.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence 
Leveraging Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
 Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
 status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce