Subject: Protocol Action: 'On the Use of Channel Bindings to Secure Channels' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:29:41 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'On the Use of Channel Bindings to Secure Channels '
   <draft-williams-on-channel-binding-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Sam Hartman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-williams-on-channel-binding-04.txt

Technical Summary
 
   The concept of channel binding allows applications to establish that
   the two end-points of a secure channel at one network layer are the
   same as at a higher layer by binding authentication at the higher
   layer to the channel at the lower layer.  This allows applications to
   delegate session protection to lower layers, which has various
   performance benefits.

   This document discusses and formalizes the concept of channel binding
   to secure channels.

Working Group Summary
 
   This document is not the product of any working group, but has been
   reviewed on the saag list.  The concept has become important to many
   working groups in the security area including   kitten and btns.
This concept is also important to groups outside the security area.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   Sam Hartman reviewed this document for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce