Subject: Protocol Action: 'The syslog Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:22:07 -0400

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'The syslog Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-23.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Transmission of syslog messages over UDP '
   <draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

These documents are products of the Security Issues in Network Event 
Logging Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Sam Hartman and Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-23.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This document describes the syslog protocol, which is used to convey
   event notification messages.  This protocol utilizes a layered
   architecture, which allows the use of any number of transport
   protocols for transmission of syslog messages.  It also provides a
   message format that allows vendor-specific extensions to be provided
   in a structured way.

   This document has been written with the anticipated original design
   goals for traditional syslog in mind.  The reason for a new layered
   specification has arisen because standardization efforts for reliable
   and secure syslog extensions suffer from the lack of a standards-
   track and transport independent RFC.  Without this document, each
   other standard needs to define its own syslog packet format and
   transport mechanism, which over time will introduce subtle
   compatibility issues.  This document tries to provide a foundation
   that syslog extensions can build on.  This layered architecture
   approach also provides a solid basis that allows code to be written
   once for each syslog feature rather than once for each transport.

   This ballot also includes the UDP transport for syslog.  This
   transport is similar to that used across the internet today.

Working Group Summary
   The working group had consensus to publish these documents as a
   proposed standard.

Protocol Quality
 
   This document has been reviewed by Sam Hartman for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor
 
   The protocol draft  obsoletes RFC 3164

In the protocol draft section 6.4:
old:    If a syslog application is processing a MSG starting with a BOM,
if
   it contains UTF-8 that is not shortest form it MUST NOT be
   interpreted as being encoded in UTF-8 for the reasons outlined in
   [UNICODE-TR36], section 3.1.  Guidance about this is given in
   Appendix A.8.

new:
   If a syslog application is processing a MSG starting with a BOM, if
   it contains UTF-8 that is not shortest form it MUST be discarded  for
the reasons outlined in
   [UNICODE-TR36], section 3.1.  Guidance about this is given in
   Appendix A.8.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce