Subject: RFC 4981 on Survey of Research towards Robust Peer-to-Peer Networks: Search Methods

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 17:39:48 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4981

        Title:      Survey of Research towards Robust 
                    Peer-to-Peer Networks: Search Methods 
        Author:     J. Risson, T. Moors
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       September 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      91
        Characters: 239752
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-p2prg-survey-search-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4981.txt

The pace of research on peer-to-peer (P2P) networking in the last
five years warrants a critical survey.  P2P has the makings of a
disruptive technology -- it can aggregate enormous storage and
processing resources while minimizing entry and scaling costs.

Failures are common amongst massive numbers of distributed peers,
though the impact of individual failures may be less than in
conventional architectures.  Thus, the key to realizing P2P's potential
in applications other than casual file sharing is robustness.

P2P search methods are first couched within an overall P2P taxonomy.
P2P indexes for simple key lookup are assessed, including those based
on Plaxton trees, rings, tori, butterflies, de Bruijn graphs, and skip
graphs.  Similarly, P2P indexes for keyword lookup, information
retrieval and data management are explored.  Finally, early efforts to
optimize range, multi-attribute, join, and aggregation queries over
P2P indexes are reviewed.  Insofar as they are available in the
primary literature, robustness mechanisms and metrics are highlighted
throughout.  However, the low-level mechanisms that most affect
robustness are not well isolated in the literature.  Recommendations
are given for future research.  This memo provides information for the 
Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce