Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Network File System Version 4 WG (nfsv4)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:15:01 -0400

A modified charter has been submitted for the Network File System
Version 4 (nfsv4) working group in the Transport Area of the IETF.  
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The modified charter is
provided below for informational purposes only. Please send your 
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by October 16.

+++

Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4)
======================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]> 
Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Director(s):
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> 
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Advisor:
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/index.html

Description of Working Group:

NFS Version 4 is the IETF standard for file sharing. To maintain
the utility and currency of NFS Version 4, the working group is
chartered to maintain the existing NFSv4 and related specifications,
such as RPC and XDR and progress these specifications along the
standards track. The group is also chartered to design an NFSv4.1
minor-version extension that adds a carefully-selected set of
features

The current charter items are:

(1) NFS Version 4 Maintenance

Under this charter item, the WG correct errors and ambiguities in
the protocol currently specified in RFC 3530 and advances it along
the standards track. Extensions of any other kind are out of scope
under this charter item.

(2) NFS Version 4 Minor Version

NFS Version 4 contains within it the capability for minor versioning.
Under this charter item, the WG develops a minor-version extension
to NFSv4 that includes the following feature additions:

- improve correctness around non-idempotent operations

- enable delegation reclaims

- support clustered file server deployments as defined by
Parallel NFS (pNFS)

(3) RPC and XDR protocol maintenance

The NFSv4 protocol depends on two related specifications: ONC RPC
and XDR. Similar to charter item (1), the WG corrects errors and
ambiguitFrom [email-masked] Tue Oct 09 15:16:56 2007
To: [email-masked]
From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:15:01 -0400
Cc: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>,
	Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Network File System Version 4 WG (nfsv4) 
Reply-To: [email-masked]

A modified charter has been submitted for the Network File System
Version 4 (nfsv4) working group in the Transport Area of the IETF.  
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The modified charter is
provided below for informational purposes only. Please send your 
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by October 16.

+++

Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4)
======================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]> 
Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Director(s):
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> 
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Advisor:
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/index.html

Description of Working Group:

NFS Version 4 is the IETF standard for file sharing. To maintain
the utility and currency of NFS Version 4, the working group is
chartered to maintain the existing NFSv4 and related specifications,
such as RPC and XDR and progress these specifications along the
standards track. The group is also chartered to design an NFSv4.1
minor-version extension that adds a carefully-selected set of
features

The current charter items are:

(1) NFS Version 4 Maintenance

Under this charter item, the WG correct errors and ambiguities in
the protocol currently specified in RFC 3530 and advances it along
the standards track. Extensions of any other kind are out of scope
under this charter item.

(2) NFS Version 4 Minor Version

NFS Version 4 contains within it the capability for minor versioning.
Under this charter item, the WG develops a minor-version extension
to NFSv4 that includes the following feature additions:

- improve correctness around non-idempotent operations

- enable delegation reclaims

- support clustered file server deployments as defined by
Parallel NFS (pNFS)

(3) RPC and XDR protocol maintenance

The NFSv4 protocol depends on two related specifications: ONC RPC
and XDR. Similar to charter item (1), the WG corrects errors and
ambiguities in the ONC RPC and XDR protocols currently specified
by RFCs 1831, 1833 and 2203. In conjunction with the advancement
of the NFSv4 specification along the standards track, the WG will
also advance the ONC RPC and XDR dependencies. The WG will also
update the ONC RPC specification for compatibility with IPv6.
Additionally, it will create an IANA registry for RPC program numbers
and seed it with a registry Sun has been maintaining.

Goals and Milestones [replaces all current not "DONE" milestones]:

DONE Request publication of "NFS RDMA Problem Statement"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfs-rdma-problem-statement) as Informational

DONE Request publication of "DMA Transport for ONC RPC"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma) as Proposed Standard

DONE Request publication of "NFS Direct Data Placement"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect) as Proposed Standard

Dec 2007 Request publication of "RPC: Remote Procedure Call Protocol
Specification Version 2" (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis) as
Proposed Standard

Mar 2008 Request publication of "NFSv4 Minor Version 1"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1) as Proposed Standard

Mar 2008 Request publication of "Object-based pNFS Operations"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-obj) as Proposed Standard

Mar 2008 Request publication of "pNFS Block/Volume Layout"
(draft-ietf-nfsv4-pnfs-block) as Proposed Standard

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce