Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Common Control and Measurement Plane WG (ccamp)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:15:02 -0400

A modified charter has been submitted for the Common Control and 
Measurement Plane (ccamp) working group in the Routing Area of the
IETF. The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The modified
charter is provided below for informational purposes only. Please send
your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by October 29.

+++

Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)
============================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
* Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> 
* Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):
* Ross Callon <[email-masked]> 
* David Ward <[email-masked]> 

Routing Area Advisor:
* Ross Callon <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
* Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>  

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe ccamp
Archive: https://ops.ietf.org/lists/ccamp

Description of Working Group:

Organizational Overview

The CCAMP working group coordinates the work within the IETF defining a 

common control plane and a separate common measurement plane for
physical 

path and core tunneling technologies of Internet and telecom service
providers 

(ISPs and SPs), e.g. O-O and O-E-O optical switches, TDM Switches, 

Ethernet Switches, ATM and Frame Relay switches, IP encapsulation 

tunneling technologies, and MPLS in cooperation with the MPLS WG. In
this 

context, measurement refers to the acquisition and distribution of
attributes 

relevant to the setting up of tunnels and paths.

CCAMP WG work scope includes:

- Definition of protocol-independent metrics and parameters
(measurement attributes) for describing links and paths that are
required for routing and signaling. These will be developed in
conjunction with requests and requirements from other WGs to
ensure overall usefulness.

- Definition of protocol(s) and extensions to them required for
link and path attribute measurement. Link Management Protocol (LMP)
is included here.

- Functional specification of extensions for routing (OSPF, ISIS) and
signalling (RSVP-TE) required for path establishment. Protocol
formats and procedures that embody these extensions will be done
jointly with the WGs supervising those protocols.

- Definition of the mechanisms required to determine the route and
properties of an established path (tunnel tracing).

- Definition of MIB modules and other OAM techniques relevant to the
protocols and extensions specified within the WG.

- Work on traffic-engineering GMPLS mechanisms and protocol 

extensions to support source-controlled and explicitly-routed Ethernet 

data paths for Ethernet data planes that are already approved by an 

SDO with responsibility for the Ethernet data plane. It is expected that

the primary SDO in this case is the IEEE. Note that the specification 

or modification of Ethernet data planes is out of scope. 

CCAMP WG currently works on the following tasks:

- Define how the properties of network resources gathered by a
measurement protocol can be distributed in existing routing
protocols, such as OSPF and IS-IS. CCAMP defines the generic
description of the properties and how they are distributed in OSPF.
The specifics of distribution within IS-IS are being addressed in
the ISIS WG.

- Define signaling and routing mechanisms and extensions to allow path
and tunnel setup and maintenance across multiple domains, where a
domain may be an IGP area, an Autonomous System, or any other region
of topological visibility. To this end, work cooperatively with the
PCE and MPLS WGs.

- Define abstract link and path properties needed for link and path
protection. Specify signalling mechanisms for path protection,
diverse routing and fast path restoration. Ensure that multi-layer
path protection and restoration functions are achievable using the
defined signalling, routing, and measurement protocols, either
separately or in combination.

- Identify which requirements for signaling and routing for ASON are
not currently met by protocols defined in CCAMP; based on these,
define mechanisms to address these requirements.

- Document issues and strategies for the migration of MPLS-based
deployments to GMPLS. Based on the outcome, identify protocol
machinery that implementations may have to change to ease the
migration from MPLS to GMPLS.

In doing this work, the WG will work closely with at least the
following other WGs: MPLS, ISIS, OSPF, IDR, L1VPN and PCE. The
WG will also cooperate with the ITU-T and the IEEE 802.1.

Goals and Milestones:

Done

Post strawman WG goals and charter 

Done

Identify and document a limited set of candidate solutions for
signalling and for measurement. Among candidate control solutions to be
considered are the existing GMPLS drafts. 

Done

Build appropriate design teams 

Done

Submit WG document defining path setup portions of common control plane
protocol 

Done

Submit WG document defining common measurement plane protocol 

Done

Submit LMP MIB to IESG 

Done

Submit protection & restoration documents to IESG 

Done

Submit ASON signaling requirements doc to IESG 

Done

Submit GMPLS MIBs to IESG 

Done

Produce CCAMP WG document for generic tunnel tracing protocol 

Done

Produce CCAMP WG document for multi-area/AS signaling and routing 

Done

Submit ASON routing requirements doc to IESG 

Done

Submit revised charter and milestones to IESG for IESG consideration of
more detailed deliverables and determination of usefulness of
continuation of WG 

Done

First version WG I-D for Advertising TE Node Capabilities in ISIS and
OSPF 

Done

First version WG I-D for Automatic discovery of MPLS-TE mesh membership 

Done

Submit ASON Routing evaluation I-D for IESG review 

Done

Cross-WG review of I-D for Advertising TE Node Capabilities in ISIS and
OSPF 

Done

First version WG I-D MPLS to GMPLS migration strategies 

Done

First version WG I-D Requirements for Multi-Layer and Multi-Region
Networks 

Done

First version WG I-D for Evaluation of existing protocols for MLN/MRN 

Done

First version of WG I-D for ASON Routing solutions 

Done

Submit RSVP-TE extensions for inter-domain signaling I-D for IESG review

Done

Submit Per-domain path computation signaling I-D for IESG review 

Oct 2007

First version WG I-D for Protocol solutions for MLN/MRN 

Done

First version of WG I-D for OSPF-TE/GMPLS MIB module 

Done

Submit GMPLS signaling in support of Call Management I-D for IESG review

Done

First version WG Informational I-D for Analysis of inter-domain issues
for disjoint and protected paths 

Done

Submit I-D for Advertising TE Node Capabilities in ISIS and OSPF for
IESG review 

Done

Submit GMPLS/ASON lexicography I-D for IESG review 

Done

First version WG I-D MPLS-GMPLS interworking requirements and solutions 

Done

Submit LSP Stitching I-D for IESG review 

Oct 2007

First version WG I-D GMPLS OAM Requirements 

Done

Submit I-D for Automatic discovery of MPLS-TE mesh membership for IESG
review 

Nov 2007

First version of WG I-D for additional MIB module to cover RSVP-TE
signaling extensions 

Done

Submit GMPLS routing and signaling interoperability advice I-D for IESG
review 

Oct 2007

Submit Informational I-D for Analysis of inter-domain issues for
disjoint and protected paths for IESG review 

Done

Submit MPLS to GMPLS migration strategies I-D for IESG review 

Jan 2008

Submit ASON Routing solutions I-D for IESG review 

Oct 2007

Submit Requirements for Multi-Layer and Multi-Region Networks I-D for
IESG review 

Done

Submit MPLS-GMPLS interworking requirements and solutions I-D for IESG
review 

Oct 2007

Submit Evaluation of existing protocols for MLN/MRN for IESG review 

Dec 2007

Submit OSPF-TE/GMPLS MIB module for MIB doctor and IESG review 

Feb 2008

Submit GMPLS OAM Requirements I-D for IESG review 

Mar 2008

Submit Protocol solutions for MLN/MRN I-D for IESG review 

Apr 2008

Submit MIB module for RSVP-TE signaling extensions for MIB doctor and
IESG review 

Oct 2007

Sep 2008

Dec 2008

First version WG I-Ds for GMPLS source-controlled and explicitly-routed
Ethernet networks

Submit protocol extensions for GMPLS source-controlled and
explicitly-routed

Ethernet networks for IESG review 

Recharter or close Working Group 

Internet-Drafts:

Inter domain Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and Generalized MPLS
(GMPLS) Traffic Engineering - RSVP-TE extensions
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-inter-domain-rsvp-
te-07.txt> (55171 bytes)
Label Switched Path Stitching with Generalized Multiprotocol Label
Switching Traffic Engineering (GMPLS TE)
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-stitching-06.t
xt> (47682 bytes)
A Per-domain path computation method for establishing Inter-domain
Traffic Engineering (TE) Label Switched Paths (LSPs)
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-inter-domain-pd-pa
th-comp-05.txt> (48843 bytes)
IGP Routing Protocol Extensions for Discovery of Traffic Engineering
Node Capabilities
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-te-node-cap-05.txt
> (26263 bytes)
Requirements for GMPLS-based multi-region and multi-layer networks
(MRN/MLN)
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-mln-reqs-05.
txt> (61451 bytes)
Evaluation of existing GMPLS Protocols against Multi Layer and Multi
Region Networks (MLN/MRN)
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-mln-eval-03.
txt> (36366 bytes)
Framework for MPLS-TE to GMPLS migration
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-mpls-gmpls-interwo
rk-fmwk-04.txt> (44736 bytes)
Procedures for Dynamically Signaled Hierarchical Label Switched Paths
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-hierarchy-bis-
02.txt> (49105 bytes)
MEF Ethernet Traffic Parameters
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-ethernet-traffic-p
arameters-02.txt> (23256 bytes)
Graceful Shutdown in MPLS and Generalized MPLS Traffic Engineering
Networks
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-mpls-graceful-shut
down-04.txt> (26060 bytes)
Operating Virtual Concatenation (VCAT) and the Link Capacity Adjustment
Scheme (LCAS) with Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-vcat-lcas-03
txt> (35730 bytes)
Traffic Engineering Database Management Information Base in support of
GMPLS
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ted-mib-02.t
xt> (49569 bytes)
Requirements for the Conversion Between Permanent Connections and
Switched Connections in a Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching
(GMPLS) Network
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-pc-and-sc-reqs-01.
txt> (25420 bytes)
Interworking Requirements to Support operation of MPLS-TE over GMPLS
Networks
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-mpls-gmpls-interwo
rk-reqts-02.txt> (29760 bytes)
Analysis of Inter-domain Label Switched Path (LSP) Recovery
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-inter-domain-recov
ery-analysis-02.txt> (57455 bytes)
OSPF Traffic Engineering (OSPF-TE) Extensions in Support of Inter-AS
Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and Generalized MPLS (GMPLS)
Traffic Engineering
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-ospf-interas-te-ex
tension-01.txt> (28776 bytes)
Description of the RSVP-TE Graceful Restart Procedures
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gr-description-00.
txt> (33723 bytes)

Request For Comments:

Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Signaling Functional
Description (RFC 3471) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3471.txt> (72105
bytes) updated by RFC 4201,RFC 4328,RFC 4872
Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Signaling
Constraint-based Routed Label Distribution Protocol (CR-LDP) Extensions
(RFC 3472) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3472.txt> (49006 bytes) updated
by RFC 3468,RFC 4201
Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)Signaling Resource
ReserVation Protocol-Traffic Engineering (RSVP-TE) Extensions (RFC 3473)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3473.txt> (91808 bytes) updated by RFC
4003,RFC 4201,RFC 4420,RFC 4783,RFC 4873,RFC 4874,RFC 4974,RFC 5063
Tracing Requirements for Generic Tunnels (RFC 3609)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3609.txt> (17859 bytes) 
Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching Extensions for SONET and SDH
Control (RFC 3946) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3946.txt> (52205 bytes)
obsoleted by RFC 4606
Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching Architecture (RFC 3945)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3945.txt> (166700 bytes) 
GMPLS Signaling Procedure For Egress Control (RFC 4003)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4003.txt> (10306 bytes) updates RFC 3473
Requirements for Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) Signaling Usage and Extensions
for Automatically Switched Optical Network (ASON) (RFC 4139)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4139.txt> (36660 bytes) 
Generalize Multiprotocol Label Switching(GMPLS) User-Network Interface
(UNI): Resource ReserVation Protocol-Traffic Engineering (RSVP-TE)
Support for the Overlay Model (RFC 4208)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4208.txt> (28693 bytes) 
Synchronous Optical Network (SONET)/Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH)
Encoding for Link Management Protocol (LMP) Test Messages (RFC 4207)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4207.txt> (29390 bytes) 
Link Management Protocol (LMP) (RFC 4204)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4204.txt> (186515 bytes) 
OSPF Extensions in Support of Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching
(RFC 4203) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4203.txt> (23130 bytes) updates
RFC 3630
Routing Extensions in Support of Generalized Multi-Protocol Label
Switching (GMPLS) (RFC 4202) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4202.txt>
(57333 bytes) 
Link Management Protocol (LMP) for Dense Wavelength Division
Multiplexing (DWDM) Optical Line Systems (RFC 4209)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4209.txt> (33906 bytes) 
Requirements for Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)
Routing for the Automatically Switched Optical Network (ASON) (RFC 4258)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4258.txt> (48558 bytes) 
Framework for Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)-based
Control of Synchronous Digital Hierarchy/Synchronous Optical Networking
(SDH/SONET) Networks (RFC 4257) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4257.txt>
(86974 bytes) 
Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Signaling Extensions
for G.709 Optical Transport Networks Control (RFC 4328)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4328.txt> (52145 bytes) updates RFC 3471
Link Management Protocol (LMP) Management Information Base (MIB) (RFC
4327) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4327.txt> (150509 bytes) obsoleted by
RFC 4631
A Transport Network View of the Link Management Protocol (LMP) (RFC
4394) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4394.txt> (40811 bytes) 
A Lexicography for the Interpretation of Generalized Multiprotocol Label
Switching (GMPLS) Terminology within The Context of the ITU-T's
Automatically Switched Optical Network (ASON) Architecture (RFC 4397)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4397.txt> (40331 bytes) 
Analysis of Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)-based
Recovery Mechanisms (including Protection and Restoration) (RFC 4428)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4428.txt> (118749 bytes) 
Recovery (Protection and Restoration) Terminology for Generalized
Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) (RFC 4427)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4427.txt> (43842 bytes) 
Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Recovery Functional
Specification (RFC 4426) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4426.txt> (55820
bytes) 
Node-ID Based Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) Hello: A
Clarification Statement (RFC 4558) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4558.txt>
(14185 bytes) 
Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Extensions for
Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) and Synchronous Digital Hierarchy
(SDH) Control (RFC 4606) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4606.txt> (53492
bytes) obsoletes RFC 3946
Link Management Protocol (LMP) Management Information Base (MIB) (RFC
4631) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4631.txt> (152560 bytes) obsoletes
RFC 4327
Evaluation of Existing Routing Protocols against Automatic Switched
Optical Network (ASON) Routing Requirements (RFC 4652)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4652.txt> (47179 bytes) 
Reoptimization of Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Traffic
Engineering (TE) Loosely Routed Label Switch Path (LSP) (RFC 4736)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4736.txt> (28850 bytes) 
A Framework for Inter-Domain Multiprotocol Label Switching Traffic
Engineering (RFC 4726) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4726.txt> (53076
bytes) 
GMPLS - Communication of Alarm Information (RFC 4783)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4783.txt> (42068 bytes) updates RFC 3473
Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching (GMPLS)Label Switching Router
(LSR) Management Information Base (RFC 4803)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4803.txt> (79925 bytes) 
Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Traffic Engineering
Management Information Base (RFC 4802)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4802.txt> (118164 bytes) 
Definitions of Textual Conventions for Generalized Multiprotocol Label
Switching (GMPLS) Management (RFC 4801)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4801.txt> (16347 bytes) 
Exclude Routes - Extension to Resource ReserVation Protocol-Traffic
Engineering (RSVP-TE) (RFC 4874) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4874.txt>
(59569 bytes) updates RFC 3473,RFC 3209
RSVP-TE Extensions in support of End-to-End Generalized Multi-Protocol
Label Switching (GMPLS) Recovery (RFC 4872)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4872.txt> (111882 bytes) updates RFC 3471/
updated by RFC 4873
GMPLS Segment Recovery (RFC 4873) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4873.txt>
(56859 bytes) updates RFC 4872,RFC 3473
Crankback Signaling Extensions for MPLS and GMPLS RSVP-TE (RFC 4920)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4920.txt> (88679 bytes) 
Routing extensions for discovery of Multiprotocol (MPLS) Label Switch
Router (LSR) Traffic Engineering (TE) mesh membership (RFC 4972)
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4972.txt> (32044 bytes) 
Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) RSVP-TE Signaling Extensions in support of
Calls (RFC 4974) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4974.txt> (72000 bytes)
updates RFC 3473
Use of Addresses in Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)
Networks (RFC 4990) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4990.txt> (50908 bytes)

Extensions to GMPLS Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) Graceful
Restart (RFC 5063) <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5063.txt> (58542 bytes)
updates RFC 2961,RFC 3473

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce