Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Dynamic Host Configuration WG (dhc)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:15:01 -0400

The Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc) working group in the Internet Area
of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information, please
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)
================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> 
Stig Venaas <[email-masked]> 

Internet Area Director(s):
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> 
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]> 

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The dhc working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP for automated
allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP
protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently a "Draft Standard" and
is documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132. DHCPv6 is currently a
"Proposed Standard" and is documented in RFC 3315. Subsequent RFCs
document additional options and other enhancements to the
specifications.

The DHC WG is responsible for reviewing DHCP options or other
extensions (for both IPv4 and IPv6). The DHC WG is expected to review
all proposed extensions to DHCP to ensure that they are consistent
with the DHCP specification and other option formats, that they do not
duplicate existing mechanisms, etc. Generally speaking, the DHC WG
will not be responsible for evaluating the semantic content of
proposed options. Similarly, the ownership of specifications typically
belongs the relevant working group that needs more functionality from
DHCP, not the DHC WG. The DHC WG coordinates reviews of the proposed
options together with those working groups. It is required that those
working groups have consensus to take on the work and that the work is
within their charter. Exceptionally, with AD agreement, this same
process can also be used for Individual Submissions originating
outside WGs.

However, the DHC WG can in some cases develop its own options that
relate to either maintenance of existing specifications or
improvements in the operation of the DHCP infrastructure itself.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

* Develop extensions to the DHCP infrastructure as required to meet
new applications and deployments of DHCP. The topics currently
in development are:

- Subnet allocation mechanisms
- Virtual subnet identification option
- Option for passing DNS domain information in DHCPv6
- DHCP relay agent assignment notification in DHCPv6
- Option for DHCPv6 server reply sequence numbers
- Rebinding capability for DHCPv6 Reconfigure messages
- Behavior of layer 2 relay agents

The adoption of new items requires explicit agreement from
the AD or rechartering.

* Write analyses of the DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications,
including RFC 2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and other RFCs defining
additional options, which identifies ambiguities, contradictory
specifications and other obstacles to development of interoperable
implementations. Recommend a process for resolving identified
problems and incorporating the resolutions into the DHCP
specification.

Secondly, advance DHCPv4 (RFC 2131 and RFC 2132) and DHCPv6 (RFC
3315) in IETF Standards Track.

Thirdly, specify guidelines for creating new DHCP options, and
report on the status of DHCPv4 option reclassification.

* Assess the requirements for a dual-stack host to use DHCP to obtain
configuration settings for both IPv4 and IPv6. Hosts that include
implementations of both IPv4 and IPv6 ("dual-stack hosts") may use
DHCP to obtain configuration settings (including assigned addresses)
for both IPv4 and IPv6. The DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications (RFC
2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and subsequent RFCs) do not explicitly
explain how a dual-stack host uses DHCP to obtain configuration
settings for both IP stacks. The DHC WG will evaluate solutions for
configuration of dual-stack hosts through DHCP and select a solution
that will be developed and published by the WG.

* Hold a discussion whether on-link prefix information and default
router information is needed in DHCP in addition to router
advertisements. Actual solutions are out of scope for the WG,
however.

Milestones:

Done WG last call for "Subnet Allocation Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04>
Done WG last call on "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
<draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option>
Oct 07 Submit "Subnet Allocation Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04> to IESG
for Proposed Standard
Nov 07 WG last call on "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines>
Nov 07 Submit "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
<draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option> and <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-vpn-id>
to IESG for Proposed Standard
Dec 07 WG last call for "Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain>
Jan 08 Submit "Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain> to IESG
for Proposed Standard
Jan 08 Submit "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines> to IESG for Best Current
Practice
Jan 08 Develop plan for advancing DHCPv4 and DHCPv6; plan to include
completion of DHCPv4 specification review report,
"Implementation Issues with RFC 2131"
<draft-ietf-dhc-implementation-02> for Informational
Feb 08 WG last call for "Status of Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-status-3942-00>
Feb 08 WG last call for "Dual-stack clients and merging of data from
DHCPv4 and DHCPv6" <draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-merge-01.txt>;
waiting for more experience with IPv6 deployment
Feb 08 WG last call for "Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure
Messages" <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00>
Mar 08 Submit "Status of Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options"
<draft-ietf-dhc-status-3942-00> to IESG for Informational
Apr 08 2nd WG last call for "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification
Option" <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and
"DHCPv6 Server Reply Sequence Number Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00>
May 08 Submit "Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure Messages"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00> to IESG for
Proposed Standard
Jun 08 WG last call on "Layer 2 Relay Agent Behaviour"
<draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00>
Jul 08 Submit "Layer 2 Relay Agent Behaviour" to IESG
<draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00> for Informational
Jul 08 Submit "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and "DHCPv6 Server
Reply Sequence Number Option"
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00> to IESG for
Proposed Standard
Jul 08 Recharter, if needed

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce