Subject: WG Action: Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis WG (httpbis)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:15:01 -0400

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Application Area.  
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or 
the WG Chairs.

+++

Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis (httpbis)
==========================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>

Application Area Director(s):
Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/

Description of the group:

HTTP is one of the most successful and widely-used protocols on the
Internet today. However, its specification has several editorial
issues. Additionally, after years of implementation and extension,
several ambiguities have become evident, impairing interoperability
and the ability to easily implement and use HTTP.

The working group will refine RFC2616 to:
 * Incorporate errata and updates (e.g., references, IANA
 registries, ABNF)
 * Fix editorial problems which have led to misunderstandings of
 the specification
 * Clarify conformance requirements
 * Remove known ambiguities where they affect interoperability
 * Clarify existing methods of extensibility
 * Remove or deprecate those features that are not widely
 implemented and also unduly affect interoperability
 * Where necessary, add implementation advice
 * Document the security properties of HTTP and its associated
 mechanisms (e.g., Basic and Digest authentication, cookies, TLS) for
 common applications

In doing so, it should consider:
 * Implementer experience
 * Demonstrated use of HTTP
 * Impact on existing implementations and deployments

The Working Group must not introduce a new version of HTTP and 
should not add new functionality to HTTP. The WG is not tasked with 
producing new methods, headers, or extension mechanisms, but may 
introduce new protocol elements if necessary as part of revising 
existing functionality which has proven to be problematic

The Working Group's specification deliverables are:
 * A document that is suitable to supersede RFC 2616
 * A document cataloguing the security properties of HTTP

Goals and Milestones:
 Nov 2007 - First HTTP Revision Internet Draft
 Feb 2008 - First HTTP Security Properties Internet Draft
 Jun 2008 - Request Last Call for HTTP Revision
 Jul 2008 - Request Last Call for HTTP Security Properties
 Oct 2008 - Submit HTTP Revision to IESG for consideration as a Draft
 Standard
 Oct 2008 - Submit HTTP Security Properties to IESG for consideration
 as Informational

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce