Subject: RFC 5057 on Multiple Dialog Usages in the Session Initiation Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:44:56 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5057

        Title:      Multiple Dialog Usages in the 
                    Session Initiation Protocol 
        Author:     R. Sparks
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       November 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 62654
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5057.txt

Several methods in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) can create
an association between endpoints known as a dialog.  Some of these
methods can also create a different, but related, association within
an existing dialog.  These multiple associations, or dialog usages,
require carefully coordinated processing as they have independent
life-cycles, but share common dialog state.  Processing multiple
dialog usages correctly is not completely understood.  What is
understood is difficult to implement.

This memo argues that multiple dialog usages should be avoided.  It
discusses alternatives to their use and clarifies essential behavior
for elements that cannot currently avoid them.

This is an informative document and makes no normative statements of
any kind.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation
Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce