Subject: BCP 134, RFC 5068 on Email Submission Operations: Access and Accountability Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:31:10 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 134        
        RFC 5068

        Title:      Email Submission Operations: Access and 
                    Accountability Requirements 
        Author:     C. Hutzler, D. Crocker,
                    P. Resnick, E. Allman,
                    T. Finch
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       November 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 24481
        Updates:    
        See-Also:   BCP0134

        I-D Tag:    draft-hutzler-spamops-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5068.txt

Email has become a popular distribution service for a variety of
socially unacceptable, mass-effect purposes.  The most obvious ones
include spam and worms.  This note recommends conventions for the
operation of email submission and transport services between
independent operators, such as enterprises and Internet Service
Providers.  Its goal is to improve lines of accountability for
controlling abusive uses of the Internet mail service.  To this end,
this document offers recommendations for constructive operational
policies between independent operators of email submission and
transmission services.

Email authentication technologies are aimed at providing assurances
and traceability between internetworked networks.  In many email
services, the weakest link in the chain of assurances is initial
submission of a message.  This document offers recommendations for
constructive operational policies for this first step of email
sending, the submission (or posting) of email into the transmission
network.  Relaying and delivery entail policies that occur subsequent
to submission and are outside the scope of this document.  This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce