Subject: RFC 5058 on Explicit Multicast (Xcast) Concepts and Options

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:49:09 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5058

        Title:      Explicit Multicast (Xcast) Concepts and 
                    Options 
        Author:     R. Boivie, N. Feldman,
                    Y. Imai, W. Livens,
                    D. Ooms
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       November 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Characters: 80072
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ooms-xcast-basic-spec-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5058.txt

While traditional IP multicast schemes (RFC 1112) are scalable for very
large multicast groups, they have scalability issues with a very
large number of distinct multicast groups.  This document describes
Xcast (Explicit Multi-unicast), a new multicast scheme with
complementary scaling properties: Xcast supports a very large number
of small multicast sessions.  Xcast achieves this by explicitly
encoding the list of destinations in the data packets, instead of
using a multicast group address.

This document discusses Xcast concepts and options in several areas;
it does not provide a complete technical specification.  This memo defines 
an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet 
community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Discussion
and suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo 
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce