Subject: Re: Historic to be: draft-malis-sonet-ces-mpls-09.txt

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 13:25:07 -0500

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'SONET/SDH Circuit 
Emulation Service over MPLS (CEM) Encapsulation' 
<draft-malis-sonet-ces-mpls-09.txt> as a Historic. 

The IESG would also like the RFC-Editor to review the comments in the 
datatracker 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=5608&rfc_flag=0)
related to this document and determine whether or not they merit 
incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both the ballot 
and the comment log. 

The IESG contact person is Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-malis-sonet-ces-mpls-09.txt

The process for such documents is described at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html.

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary
 
 This document describes a historical method for encapsulating 
  SONET/SDH Path signals for transport across packet-switched networks 
  (PSNs).  The PSNs explicitly supported by this document include MPLS 
  and IP. Note that [RFC4842] describes the standards-track protocol  
  for this functionality, and new implementations must use [RFC4842] 
  rather than this document except when interoperability with older  
  implementations is desired.  

Working Group Summary
 
This documents contains work that was the basis of part of the
PWE3 WG's efforts, resulting in the publication of RFC4842 as
a standards track document. The document was specifically held 
from publication in any form until which time the PWE3 WG had finished
its work in this area.

Deployed implementations of this earlier work exist, though it is well 
understood the output of the PWE3 WG represents IETF Consensus and 
supersedes these mechansims. This document is now being published 
for the record as Historic to underscore that it documents work that has 
been obsoleted by PWE3 Standards Track work.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Mark Townsley. It has been
reported that there
are deployed implementations of this, though there is commitment to move
to standards
track work in due course.

IESG Note:

  2. The IESG thinks that this work is related to IETF work done in WG
     PWE3, but this does not prevent publishing. 

Change 1:

old:
           v
94         The transmission system for circuit-oriented TDM signals is the
 
95         Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) [T1.105],
[GR-253]/Synchronous
96         Digital Hierarchy (SDH) [G.707]. To support TDM traffic (which

                                                              v
97         includes voice, data, and private leased line services) PSNs
must 

new:
            vvvvvv
94         The native transmission system for circuit-oriented TDM signals
is the 
95         Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) [T1.105],
[GR-253]/Synchronous
96         Digital Hierarchy (SDH) [G.707]. To support TDM traffic (which

                                                               v
97         includes voice, data, and private leased line services), PSNs
must 

Change 2:

old:
                         vvvvvvvvvvvvv                           
901        positive pointer justification events between structured CEM
end-

new:
                         vvvvvvvvvv                          
901        positive pointer adjustment events between structured CEM end-

Change 3:

Section 11.1, normative references:

Please re-order the references in Section 11.1 by ascending collation
order of
the reference tags.

Change 4:

old:
1289       |---------------Header bits 0-25 -------------------| ECC-6
code| 
1290       0                   1                   2                   3 
1291       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
2 
1292      
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 

new:

lines 1290 and 1291 are moved one space to the right, and the "2" has
been
removed from the end of line 1291.

1289       |---------------Header bits 0-25 -------------------| ECC-6
code| 
1290        0                   1                   2                   3
1291        0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1
1292      
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 

Change 5:

old:
                                v                           vvvvvvvvvvv
616        As discussed in section 6.2, a CEM de-packetizer MAY or MAY NOT
 
617        support re-ordering of mis-ordered packets.   

new:
                                v                           vvvvvvvvvvv
616        As discussed in section 5.2, a CEM de-packetizer MAY 
617        support re-ordering of mis-ordered packets.   

Change 6:

Begin line 13 with "Obsoleted by: RFC4842".

Change 7:

Please add a table of contents if that is easily do-able.

Change 8:

The Gen-ART reviewer noted that are a couple of long lines (72+ chars)
and a few
long pages (58+ lines).

<End of instructions>

Instructions to the RFC Editor for draft-malis-sonet-ces-mpls-09.txt

These instructions are the result of IETF last call comments and the
Gen-ART
review of draft-malis-sonet-ces-mpls-09.txt.

The line numbers are from the attached draft-malis-sonet-ces-mpls-09.txt
file, which I obtained from the IETF drafts repository and used TextPad to
add the line numbers.

Change 1:

old:

94	   The transmission system for circuit-oriented TDM signals is the  
95	   Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) [T1.105], [GR-253]/Synchronous 
96	   Digital Hierarchy (SDH) [G.707]. To support TDM traffic (which  
97	   includes voice, data, and private leased line services) PSNs must  

new:

94	   The native transmission system for circuit-oriented TDM signals is
the  
95	   Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) [T1.105], [GR-253]/Synchronous 
96	   Digital Hierarchy (SDH) [G.707]. To support TDM traffic (which  
97	   includes voice, data, and private leased line services), PSNs must 

Change 2:

old:

901	   positive pointer justification events between structured CEM end-

new:

901	   positive pointer adjustment events between structured CEM end- 

Change 3:

Section 11.1, normative references:

Please re-order the references in Section 11.1 by ascending collation
order of
the reference tags.

Change 4:

old:
1289	   |---------------Header bits 0-25 -------------------| ECC-6 code|
 
1290	   0                   1                   2                   3  
1291	   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2
 
1292	   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

new:

lines 1290 and 1291 are moved one space to the right, and the "2" has
been 
removed from the end of line 1291.

1289	   |---------------Header bits 0-25 -------------------| ECC-6 code|
  
1290	    0                   1                   2                   3  
1291	    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
1292	   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Change 5:

old:
616	   As discussed in section 6.2, a CEM de-packetizer MAY or MAY NOT  
617	   support re-ordering of mis-ordered packets.    

new:
616	   As discussed in section 5.2, a CEM de-packetizer MAY  
617	   support re-ordering of mis-ordered packets.    

Change 6:

Begin line 13 with "Obsoleted by: RFC4842".

Change 7:

Please add a table of contents if that is easily do-able.

Change 8:

The Gen-ART reviewer noted that are a couple of long lines (72+ chars)
and a few
long pages (58+ lines).

<End of instructions>

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce