Subject: Transitioning IETF DNS services

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:25:05 -0500

It is time to begin the process of transitioning IETF IT services
from Neustar Secretariat Services (NSS) to Association Management
Solutions (AMS).  The complete process will take place over
approximately 7 weeks, beginning Friday, 14 December 2007, and
continuing through Thursday, 31 January 2008.

The first step in the process is to move DNS services.  The actual
transition will take place on Friday, 14 December 2007, at 12pm
Eastern (1700 UTC), approximately 44 hours from now.  At that time
the NS records for the following domains:

    iab.org
    iesg.org
    ietf.org
    irtf.org

Will all be changed to the following:

    NS4.AMSL.COM    64.170.98.30
    NS5.AMSL.COM    64.170.98.31
    NS6.AMSL.COM    2001:5c0:9758::1:1

Please note that IPv6 DNS services will initially be provided by an
IPv6 tunnel.  AMS is adding an additional OC-1 fiberoptic circuit to
serve the IETF, which will include native IPv6 services.  When that
installation completes, which is expected in January 2008, all IPv6
services will be available natively from AMS.

While we wait for AMS' dedicated circuit, only DNS services will be
made available through this IPv6 tunnel.  This may affect email and
mailing list services, which are expected to transition in early
January 2008.  If the circuit installation is not complete before we
transition email and mailing lists then those services may
temporarily be unavailable on IPv6.  We will keep you informed.

We understand that this is an inconvenience for part of the user
community but, unfortunately, it is unavoidable.  AMS will make
native IPv6 available as soon as they can.  Note that the DNS will
continue to return IPv6 addresses when queried for those services
that have not yet transitioned (for example, the web and ftp which
transition last).

On the upside, all IT services will have IPv6 addresses when the
transition is complete.  Until then, those services that currently
have IPv6 addresses will lose them as they transition.

Finally, some of you will notice that those two IPv4 nameservers are
both on the same subnet.  This is a transitional situation.  AMS is
building a mirrored architecture in their primary facility.  When
the transition from NSS completes on 31 January 2008, they will
begin the process of moving the mirrors to their secondary facility
in Orlando, FL.  This transition is expected to be transparent to
the community and will take place over approximately 30 days.  There
will be more to say about this when that transition begins.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce