Subject: RFC 5095 on Deprecation of Type 0 Routing Headers in IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:06:01 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5095

        Title:      Deprecation of Type 0 Routing 
                    Headers in IPv6 
        Author:     J. Abley, P. Savola,
                    G. Neville-Neil
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       December 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 13423
        Updates:    RFC2460, RFC4294
        See-Also:   

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-rh0-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5095.txt

The functionality provided by IPv6's Type 0 Routing Header can be
exploited in order to achieve traffic amplification over a remote
path for the purposes of generating denial-of-service traffic.  This
document updates the IPv6 specification to deprecate the use of IPv6
Type 0 Routing Headers, in light of this security concern.  
[STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the IP Version 6 Working Group
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
 Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
 status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce