Subject: Transitioning IETF DNS Services Update

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:35:00 -0500

Afilias has agreed to provide DNS services to the IETF.  What this
means is all DNS servers will be dual-homed on both IPv4 and IPv6,
and servers will be available in Asia, North America, and Europe as
follows:

  ns1.ams1.afilias-nst.info  (Amsterdam)
    199.19.48.151
    199.19.48.171
    2001:500:6:300::151
    2001:500:6:300::171

  ns1.yyz1.afilias-nst.info  (Toronto)
    199.19.49.151
    199.19.49.171
    2001:500:7:300::151
    2001:500:7:300::171

  ns1.sea1.afilias-nst.info  (Seattle)
    199.19.50.151
    199.19.50.171
    2001:500:8:300::151
    2001:500:8:300::171

  ns1.hkg1.afilias-nst.info  (Hong Kong)
    199.19.51.151
    199.19.51.171
    2001:500:9:300::151
    2001:500:9:300::171

  ns1.mia1.afilias-nst.info  (Miami)
    199.19.52.151
    199.19.52.171
    2001:500:a:300::151
    2001:500:a:300::171

Thanks you Afilias!

Everything else in the previous announcement is still valid and
included here (with some editorial changes) for completeness.

It is time to begin the process of transitioning IETF IT services
from Neustar Secretariat Services (NSS) to Association Management
Solutions (AMS).  The complete process will take place over
approximately 7 weeks, beginning Friday, 14 December 2007, and
continuing through Thursday, 31 January 2008.

The first step in the process is to move DNS services.  The actual
transition will take place on Friday, 14 December 2007, at 12pm
Eastern (1700 UTC), approximately 48 hours from now.  At that time
the NS records for the following domains:

    iab.org
    iesg.org
    ietf.org
    irtf.org

Will all be changed to the servers indicated above.

Please note that while the transition is in progress, some services
(not DNS) may lose their IPv6 connectivity temporarily.  It will
return when the transition is complete.

AMS is adding an additional OC-1 fiberoptic circuit to serve the
IETF, which will include native IPv6 services.  When that
installation completes, which is expected in January 2008, all IPv6
services will be available natively from AMS.

While we wait for AMS' dedicated circuit, services available on IPv6
now may not be available on IPv6 after they are transitioned.  This
may affect email and mailing list services, which are expected to
transition in early January 2008.  If the circuit installation is
not complete before we transition email and mailing lists then those
services may temporarily be unavailable on IPv6.  We will keep you
informed.

We understand that this is an inconvenience for part of the user
community but, unfortunately, it is unavoidable.  AMS will make
native IPv6 available as soon as they can.  Note that until a
service is transitioned (for example, the web and ftp which
transition last), it will continue to be available on IPv6 at NSS.

On the upside, all IT services will have IPv6 addresses when the
transition is complete.  Until then, those services that currently
have IPv6 addresses will lose them as they transition.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce