Subject: Protocol Action: 'ASCII Escaping of Unicode Characters' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:24:23 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'ASCII Escaping of Unicode Characters '
   <draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-07.txt> as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Chris Newman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
   There are a number of circumstances in which an escape mechanism is
   needed in conjunction with a protocol to encode characters that
   cannot be represented or transmitted directly.  With ASCII coding the
   traditional escape has been either the decimal or hexadecimal offset
   of the character, written in a variety of different ways.  The move
   to Unicode, where characters occupy two or more octets and may be
   coded in several different forms, has further complicated the
   question of escapes.  This document discusses some options now in use
   and discusses considerations for selecting one for use in new IETF
   protocols and protocols that are now being internationalized.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   This is the product of an individual submission.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   This has been extensively reviewed and debated on the
   [email-masked] mailing list and by active participants of
   the Unicode community.  The discussions were not able to achieve
   consensus to recommend one specific format, but rather to recommend
   two good formats and discourage use of some problematic formats.
   There was some debate over how much discussion of problematic
   formats was appropriate.  This was reviewed for the IESG by Chris
   Newman.  This document passed idnits 2.04.16.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce