Subject: RFC 5109 on RTP Payload Format for Generic Forward Error Correction

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:02:18 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5109

        Title:      RTP Payload Format for Generic 
                    Forward Error Correction 
        Author:     A. Li, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       December 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      44
        Characters: 100538
        Obsoletes:  RFC2733, RFC3009
        See-Also:   

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avt-ulp-23.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5109.txt

This document specifies a payload format for generic Forward Error
Correction (FEC) for media data encapsulated in RTP.  It is based on
the exclusive-or (parity) operation.  The payload format described in
this document allows end systems to apply protection using various
protection lengths and levels, in addition to using various protection
group sizes to adapt to different media and channel characteristics.
It enables complete recovery of the protected packets or partial
recovery of the critical parts of the payload depending on the packet
loss situation.  This scheme is completely compatible with
non-FEC-capable hosts, so the receivers in a multicast group that do
not implement FEC can still work by simply ignoring the protection
data.  This specification obsoletes RFC 2733 and RFC 3009.  The FEC
specified in this document is not backward compatible with RFC 2733
and RFC 3009.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
 Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
 status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce