Subject: Transitioning IETF Jabber services

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:04:03 -0500

The next IETF service to transition will be the Jabber services.
This transition will take place on Friday, 21 December 2007, at 9pm
Eastern (0200 UTC Saturday, 22 December 2007).  At that time the DNS
entry for jabber.ietf.org will change from an NSS server to an AMS
server.

Although there will not be any downtime associated with this
transition, it would be best if no one was using the IETF Jabber
server between 0130 UTC and 0230 UTC since your client will probably
become confused about the correct IP address for the server as the
DNS changes.

Currently Jabber does not have an IPv6 address. However, it will acquire
an IPv6 address before 31 January when AMS concludes the installation of
their new circuit.

After the DNS changes a new web site will become available:

   http://jabber.ietf.org

As you know, this is currently the location of the Jabber server.
In addition to being the location of the Jabber server a web site
will come into existence which will eventually have everything there
related to the use of Jabber in the IETF.  Initially it will contain some
basic information, including a pointer to where to send messages if you
have any questions or issues related to Jabber, and all log files
(including the archived files) for all Jabber sessions.

The directories of log files will be named uniformly as follows:

    http://jabber.ietf.org/logs/ROOM_NAME

The availability of the log files at this new location will not
"break" the links to the log files currently available on the main
IETF web site.  However, the log files on the main IETF web site
will no longer be updated.  New log files created after the Jabber
transition will only be available on the new web site.

After the main web site transition, scheduled for the end of
January, the Jabber log files will no longer be available at the old
links.  It will be necessary to update any bookmarks or other
dependencies you may have on the old links.  To ease this transition
the new web server will be setup with an appropriate set of mappings
to redirect clients to the new location.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce