Subject: STD 68, RFC 5234 on Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications: ABNF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:24:14 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        STD 68        
        RFC 5234

        Title:      Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications: 
                    ABNF 
        Author:     D. Crocker, Ed.,
                    P. Overell
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 26359
        Obsoletes:  RFC4234
        See Also:   STD0068

        I-D Tag:    draft-crocker-rfc4234bis-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5234.txt

Internet technical specifications often need to define a formal
syntax.  Over the years, a modified version of Backus-Naur Form
(BNF), called Augmented BNF (ABNF), has been popular among many
Internet specifications.  The current specification documents ABNF.
It balances compactness and simplicity with reasonable
representational power.  The differences between standard BNF and
ABNF involve naming rules, repetition, alternatives,
order-independence, and value ranges.  This specification also
supplies additional rule definitions and encoding for a core lexical
analyzer of the type common to several Internet specifications.  
[STANDARDS TRACK]

This is now a Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
 Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
 status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce