Subject: Transition Email Configuration Changes

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:31:53 -0500

There have been some changes in the email configuration that may be
noticeable to you after the cut-over.

1. We have updated the SPAM filtering of all email.  This change
   should reduce the overall amount of SPAM received by the IETF.
   It is also an opportunity to remind the community of the
   IETF policy regarding SPAM filtering found here:

   http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/mail-submit-policy.txt

   The point in that policy to be highlighted here is that if a
   message directed to a mailing list with a public archive is
   determined to be SPAM, it is reasonable and acceptable to discard
   the message.  The originator of the message is responsible for
   checking the public archive to determine if the message was
   distributed or not.  This is particularly true if you are not a
   subscriber of the mailing list in question.

   For mailing lists with private archives the messages are not
   discarded, e.g., for the iesg and iab mailing lists.  The current
   procedure of maintaining a master whitelist of all valid email
   addresses will be continued.  Thus, the first time you send a
   message to the IESG or IAB you will receive a challenge request
   to which you must respond in order for your message to be
   delivered.  Note that the existing master whitelist has been
   carried forward so if you have already responded to a challenge
   you are all set.

2. All IAB, IESG, and IRTF email addresses and mailing lists have
   been moved to their respective domains: iab.org, iesg.org,
   irtf.org.

   For example, the IAB email address will be [email-masked] and the
   IESG email address will be [email-masked] after the cut-over.  In
   all cases there will be aliases in the ietf.org domain to forward
   everything appropriately but you may need to update your email
   filters.

   This change is in support of an architectural principle that
   separates services.  The IAB currently has its own web site and
   this is a logical extension of that.  The IESG does not have its
   own web site, it is currently part of the main IETF web site, but
   after the transition we will be working towards moving them to
   their own web site.

3. We may need to back fill mailing list archives after the
   cut-over.

   Although we will have all mailing list archives we may not get
   them in place before we restore services.  The primary goal is
   for the down time to be as short as possible.  If we have time we
   will make sure all archives are properly merged but if necessary
   we will delay this task until after the cut-over.  We will let
   the community know if this is the case in the post-cut-over
   announcement.

4. Mailing list archives will now be found at:

     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/WGACRONYM

   The change here is that the use of the domain name
   "www1.ietf.org" has been deprecated.  Of course a CNAME record
   will remain in the DNS indefinitely but you should review any
   bookmarks you may have to see if they need to be updated.

If you notice any other issues or experience any other problems,
please do report it immediately to [email-masked].  Be sure to
include enough information to ensure the problem can be reproduced.

Thanks.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrator

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce