Subject: RFC 5039 on The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Spam

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 16:06:11 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5039

        Title:      The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
                    and Spam 
        Author:     J. Rosenberg, C. Jennings
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       January 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 73341
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipping-spam-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5039.txt

Spam, defined as the transmission of bulk unsolicited messages, has
plagued Internet email.  Unfortunately, spam is not limited to email.
It can affect any system that enables user-to-user communications.
The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) defines a system for user-to-
user multimedia communications.  Therefore, it is susceptible to
spam, just as email is.  In this document, we analyze the problem of
spam in SIP.  We first identify the ways in which the problem is the
same and the ways in which it is different from email.  We then
examine the various possible solutions that have been discussed for
email and consider their applicability to SIP.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation
Working Group of the IETF

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. 
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce