Subject: Transition Cut-Over

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:25:26 -0500

The final two IETF services to transition are email (including all
mailing lists) and the main web site (including the datatracker and
tools related to it -- this does not include tools.ietf.org which is
an independent web site).  These are the two largest and most
complex moves.

The cut-over will begin on Thursday, 31 January 2008, at 20:00:00
UTC (i.e., 3pm Eastern and 12pm Pacific).  There will be up to 4
hours of down time associated with this cut-over.  We expect the
down time to be much less than that but we want to be prepared for
whatever may happen.

Some of the steps that need to take place during this down time
include at least a final RSYNC of the web site, email and mailing
list configurations, and mailing list archives.  Since the AMS setup
is not exactly the same as the NSS setup this final RSYNC will need
to be merged into the AMS setup.

When service is restored we will send an announcement out to the
community.  While the plan is for the cut-over to be transparent
(except for the down time of course), it is always possible that you
will notice some differences or problems with the web site or email.
Should this happen please do report it immediately to the usual
place:

    [email-masked]

Please provide enough information so the problem can be reproduced
and AMS will take care of it as quickly as possible. If  *urgent* please 
indicate so in the email.

There have been some changes incorporated as part of this
transition of both email and the web.  These will be detailed
separately in follow up messages.

One change I will mention now is that we still expect full IPv6
connectivity for all IETF services to be available when service is
restored after the cut-over.

Thank you.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce