Subject: Seeking IAB executive director

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:50:29 -0500

L.S.

The IAB is looking for a volunteer to take on the duties of an
Executive Director.  The day job and involvement in additional IETF
and community activities of the current executive director Joe Abley
have been consuming a great deal of his time, and as such, he has
indicated he will not be able to continue in this function.

We are looking for a replacement to start working with the IAB during
IETF71.

The Executive Director is a non-voting ex-officio member of the IAB
(RFC2850) who assumes, in close cooperation with the chair, the
responsibility to assist the IAB in the organization of its day-to-day
activities and workflow, and maintain the public face of the IAB.

A great deal of the work is of an administrative nature and needs to
be performed in a timely fashion. In general these tasks include:

 + Management of the preparation of the agendas

 + Collecting and tracking action items. This includes regular
   round-ups of the status of the action items, IAB documents, and
   liaison reports.

 + Assisting in running the meeting: roll call, agenda tracking, and
   minute taking.

 + Publishing minutes, actions and correspondence of the IAB on
   the IAB website.

 + Tracking and maintaining the status of IAB projects. For instance,
   this includes keeping track of timelines during nominations and
   confirmation (e.g. for ISOC BoT member selection or IETF IESG
   confirmation) , coordinating invitations for workshops, etc.

 + Maintenance of the IAB website, IAB related mailing lists, and the
   IAB jabber room.

Given these tasks an Executive Director should ideally

 + Have sufficient time available and be able to allocate that time to
   IAB tasks when needed. For example, it is preferable that the
   candidate not be chair of more than one IETF WG, or a member of the
   IESG or IAB. The Executive Director is expected to attend all IETF
   meetings and IAB Retreats (typically one per year). The IAB has
   approximately 5 hours of teleconferences per month spread over
   roughly 3 calls: these come with preparation and follow-up work
   that needs to proceed in timely fashion.  

 + Writing skills. The Executive Director keeps and edits the minutes
   of the IAB meetings and prepares them for public dissemination.

 + Sysadmin skills. The Executive Director handles the administration
   of the IAB websites, including the maintenance of tools such as
   Wikis, Jabber servers, email lists, etc.

 + IETF experience. The candidate is an ex-officio member and may
   participate in discussion. It is desirable for the candidate to
   have at least some experience with the IETF.

 + Organizational skills. The Executive Director serves as a program
   manager for IAB work items. It is desirable for the candidate to be
   able to juggle many outstanding tasks simultaneously.

Please send a mail to the IAB <[email-masked]> if you are interested in
volunteering for this role.

The IAB would like to thank Joe for his support and efforts.

Olaf Kolkman
IAB chair

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce