Subject: Protocol Action: 'SIEVE Email Filtering: Extension for Notifications' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:09:54 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'SIEVE Email Filtering: Extension for Notifications '
   <draft-ietf-sieve-notify-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lisa Dusseault and Chris Newman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-notify-12.txt

Note to RFC Editor

Add the following paragraph to the end of the Security Considerations:

"It is imperative that whatever implementations use to store the
user-defined filtering scripts protect them from unauthorized
modification, to preserve the integrity of the mail system.  An attacker
who can modify a script can cause mail to be discarded, rejected, or
forwarded to an unauthorized recipient.  In addition it's possible that
Sieve scripts might expose private information, such as mailbox names, or
email addresses of favoured (or disfavoured) correspondents. Because of
that, scripts SHOULD also be protected from unauthorized retrieval."

SIEVE notify extension WG Chairs Write-up for IESG.

draft-ietf-sieve-notify-09 - Proposed Standard

   (1.a)  Shepherd: Cyrus Daboo <mailto:[email-masked]> I have
          personally reviewed this document and believe it ready for
          submission to the IESG.

   (1.b)  It has had adequate review from WG members. Not from non-WG
          members. No concerns with the nature of those reviews.

   (1.c)  No concerns about broader review.

   (1.d)  No IPR or other concerns with this document.

   (1.e)  There is strong WG consensus behind this document.

   (1.f)  No appeals or serious discontent.

   (1.g)  ID nits were checked. Whilst some warnings appear, the draft
          in fact was correct.

   (1.h)  References are split into two sections. There is one normative
          reference to the SIEVE base spec revision draft which has
          already been submitted to the IESG. There is one informative
          reference to the SIEVE variables extension draft that is in
          the RFC Editor queue waiting on the revised base spec.

   (1.i)  IANA section verified.

   (1.j)  XML and ABNF validated.

   (1.k)  ...

Technical Summary

The SIEVE notify extension adds an action that allows users to trigger
a notification to be sent when an incoming message matches some criteria.
The "base" specification defines a framework on how this action can be
used with a URI to specify the notification method. Subsequent documents
will profile different URI schemes for use with the notify action.

The draft has a detailed description of how interactions with other
SIEVE extensions/actions are handled.

The security considerations section covers several identified security
concerns.

Working Group Summary

This document has been discussed and reviewed in the SIEVE Working Group.
There is strong consensus in the Working Group to publish this document
as a Proposed Standard.

Document Quality

Several implementers have indicated they will implement this extension.

Personal

Document Shepherd: Cyrus Daboo <mailto:[email-masked]>
AD: Lisa Dusseault <mailto:[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce