Subject: RFC 5112 on The Presence-Specific Static Dictionary for Signaling Compression (Sigcomp)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:55:09 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5112

        Title:      The Presence-Specific Static Dictionary for 
                    Signaling Compression (Sigcomp) 
        Author:     M. Garcia-Martin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 67257
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-garcia-simple-presence-dictionary-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5112.txt

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is a text-based protocol for
initiating and managing communication sessions.  The protocol is
extended by the SIP-events notification framework to provide
subscriptions and notifications of SIP events.  One example of such
event notification mechanism is presence, which is expressed in XML
documents called presence documents.  SIP can be compressed by using
Signaling Compression (SigComp), which is enhanced by using the SIP/
Session Description Protocol (SDP) dictionary to achieve better
compression rates.  However, the SIP/SDP dictionary is not able to
increase the compression factor of (typically lengthy) presence
documents.  This memo defines the presence-specific static dictionary
that SigComp can use in order to compress presence documents to
achieve higher efficiency.  The dictionary is compression-algorithm
independent.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
 Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
 status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce