Subject: Re: Informational RFC to be: draft-irtf-tmrg-metrics-11.txt

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:09:02 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'Metrics for the 
Evaluation of Congestion Control Mechanisms' 
<draft-irtf-tmrg-metrics-11.txt> as an Informational RFC. 

The IESG would also like the RFC-Editor to review the comments in the 
datatracker 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=13610&rfc_flag=0) 
related to this document and determine whether or not they merit 
incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both the ballot 
and the comment log. 

The IESG contact person is Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-tmrg-metrics-11.txt

The process for such documents is described at http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html.

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary
 
   This document discusses the metrics to be considered in an
   evaluation of new or modified congestion control mechanisms for the
   Internet.  These include metrics for the evaluation of new transport
   protocols, of proposed modifications to TCP, of application-level
   congestion control, and of Active Queue Management (AQM)
   mechanisms in the router.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   This document is a product of the Transport Modeling Research Group
   (TMRG), and has received detailed feedback from many members of the
   Research Group (RG).  As the document tries to make clear, there is
   not necessarily a consensus within the research community (or the
   IETF community, the vendor community, the operations community, or
   any other community) about the metrics that congestion control
   mechanisms should be designed to optimize, in terms of tradeoffs
   between throughput and delay, fairness between competing flows, and
   the like.  However, we believe that there is a clear consensus that
   congestion control mechanisms should be evaluated in terms of
   tradeoffs between a range of metrics, rather than in terms of
   optimizing for a single metric.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) has reviewed this document
   for the IESG. It is planned that these metrics play a role in the
   evaluation of new congestion control schemes in the IRTF's ICCRG
   research group and related IETF working groups, such as TCPM.

RFC Editor Note

  Section 2.2.1., paragraph 2:
  >     bandwith-delay product changes are expected to become

    s/bandwith-delay/bandwidth-delay/

IESG Note

   Based on the Working Group Summary, the IESG believes that the
   second variant suggested in Appendix A of draft-irtf-rfcs-0
   is appropriate for this document:

   "This document in not an IETF Internet Standard.  It represents
   the individual opinion(s) of one or more members of the TMRG
   Research Group of the Internet Research Task Force. It may be
   considered for standardization by the IETF or adoption as a
   IRTF Research Group consensus document in the future."

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce