Subject: Impending publication: draft-iab-dns-choices-05

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:34:24 -0800 (PST)

The IAB is ready to ask the RFC-Editor to publish

     Design Choices When Expanding DNS
           draft-iab-dns-choices-05

as an Informational RFC.  This document provides a number of
considerations to assist application and protocol designers in
choosing a mechanism to store and retrieve data in the DNS. It treats,
among other things the pros and cons of using TXT records, and of
adding prefixes or suffixes to owner names. It argues that adding an
new Resource Record is the best solution to add new data to the DNS
and that the use of TXT Resource Records is the worst.

The IAB solicits comments by February 23, 2008. Please send
comments to the IAB ([email-masked]), or to [email-masked].

The document can be found at

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-dns-choices-03.txt

 From the Abstract:

   This note discusses how to extend the DNS with new data for a new
   application.  DNS extension discussions too often focus on reuse of
   the TXT Resource Record Type.  This document lists different
   mechanisms to extend the DNS, and concludes that the use of a new DNS
   Resource Record Type is the best solution.

Olaf Kolkman,
      For the IAB.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce