Subject: BCP 137, RFC 5137 on ASCII Escaping of Unicode Characters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:13:06 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 137        
        RFC 5137

        Title:      ASCII Escaping of Unicode Characters 
        Author:     J. Klensin
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       February 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 27742
        See Also:   BCP0137

        I-D Tag:    draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5137.txt

There are a number of circumstances in which an escape mechanism is
needed in conjunction with a protocol to encode characters that
cannot be represented or transmitted directly.  With ASCII coding,
the traditional escape has been either the decimal or hexadecimal
numeric value of the character, written in a variety of different
ways.  The move to Unicode, where characters occupy two or more
octets and may be coded in several different forms, has further
complicated the question of escapes.  This document discusses some
options now in use and discusses considerations for selecting one for
use in new IETF protocols, and protocols that are now being
internationalized.  This document specifies an Internet Best Current 
Practices for the Internet Community, and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce