Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Framework for Consent-based Communications in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:49:26 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Framework for Consent-based Communications in the Session Initiation 
   Protocol (SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sip-consent-framework-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-consent-framework-04.txt

Technical summary. 

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) supports communications across many
media types,  including real-time audio, video, text, instant messaging, 
and presence. In its current  form, it allows session invitations, instant

messages, and other requests to be delivered from one party to another 
without requiring explicit consent of the recipient. Without such consent,
it is possible for SIP to be used for malicious purposes,  including 
amplification, and DoS (Denial of Service) attacks. This document 
identifies a framework for consent-based communications in SIP. 

Working group summary. 

There is consensus in the working group to publish this document. The
document came about due to security area concerns about the need to 
protect against denial of service attacks and amplification attacks 
when various relay and uri-list mechanisms are used in SIP. 

Document Quality 

The document has been extensively reviewed and discussed by the SIP WG
since 2004.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce