Subject: WG Action: Cga & Send maIntenance (csi)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Internet Area.  For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

Cga & Send maIntenance (csi)
============================

Last Modified: 2008-02-07

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Marcelo Bagnulo Braun <[email-masked]>
Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Area Director(s):
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: cga-ext at ietf.org
To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cga-ext
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/cga-ext/current/index.html

Description:

The Secure Neighbor Discovery (SEND) protocol defined by RFC 3971
provides security mechanisms protecting different functions of the
Neighbor Discovery (ND) protocol defined by RFC 2461. This includes
address resolution (discovering link layer address of another node
attached to the link), router discovery (discovering routers attached
to the link), and neighbor unreachability detection (detecting that a
node attached to the link is no longer reachable). SEND protection of
address resolution and neighbor unreachability detection functions
relies on IPv6 address proof-of-ownership and message integrity
protection provided respectively via Cryptographically Generated
Addresses (CGAs) and RSA Digital Signatures.

CGAs are defined in RFC 3972, and are extended with a CGA extension
format defined in RFC 4581, and a support for multiple hash functions
defined in RFC 4982. While CGAs were originally defined for the SEND
protocol, they have proved to be a useful security tool in other
environments too, and its usage has been proposed to secure other
protocols such as the Shim6 multihoming protocol and the Mobile IPv6
protocol. While there is very little deployment of SEND to date, there are
a number of implementations, recommendations in the NIST and DOD profiles
call for use of SEND, and operating system vendors are considering adding
SEND to their next releases. As a result, it is desirable to review the
current state of the SEND and CGA specifications, maintain and complement
them where necessary. Up to date cryptographic algorithms are needed, and
the protocols need to be able to deal with certain common situations
currently not supported.

Specifically, the WG will look at the following issues:

- Develop an informational document analyzing the implications of
recent attacks on hash functions used by SeND protocol. Current SeND
specification uses the SHA-1 hash algorithm and does not provides
support for hash algorithm agility, hence the critical need for
understanding the impact of the attacks on the SeND protocol. In
addition, if as a result of the aforementioned analysis it is deemed
necessary, standard-track extensions to the SeND protocol to support
multiple hash algorithms will be defined.

- Specify a standards-track CGA and SeND extensions to support
multiple public key algorithms. As currently defined CGA and SeND can
only use RSA keys, and they lack support for other public key
algorithms (e.g. Elliptic Curve Cryptography -- ECC).

- Develop X.509 certificate management tools for SeND. SeND utilizes
X.509v3 certificates for performing router authorization. It uses the
X.509 extension for IP addresses to verify whether the router is
authorized to advertise the mentioned IP addresses. Since the IP
addresses extension does not explicitly mention what functions the
node can perform for the IP addresses it becomes impossible to know
the reason for which the certificate was allowed. In order to
facilitate issuance of certificates for specific functions, we need
toencode the functions permitted for the certificate into the
certificate itself. The WG will develop a certificate profile,
including a definition of X.509 Extended Key Usage for SeND . In
addition, the WG will recommend best practices for (1) enrollment,
(2)revocation checking, and (3) publishing of certificates. This WG will
ensure that the profile and recommended practices will cover usage by
hosts in addition to routers. The working group will coordinate this
activity with the PKIX and SIDR WGs. Prior to IESG submission of the
certificate profile, the working group will seek input from and coordinate
with other groups enabling cryptographic identification of device-related
properties (e.g., IEEE 802.1ar, IEEE 802.16, WiMAX Forum, IETF CAPWAP WG).

- Develop a standard track document defining a mechanism to perform
SeND certificate provisioning for routers. SeND protocol as defined in
RFC3971 specifies how IPv6 nodes can trust the prefixes advertised by a
router. The solution is based on the use of the IP Address
Delegation extension (RFC3779) in X.509 v3 certificates (RFC3280).
This work will provide the tools require to provision with the
certificates to the routers in an automatic manner. The working will
coordinate this activity with the PKIX WG.

- Produce a problem statement document for Neighbor Discovery Proxies
and then specify standards-track SEND Extensions to support Neighbor
Discovery Proxies: SEND protocol as currently defined in RFC 3971
lacks of support for ND Proxies defined in RFC 3775 and RFC 4389.
Extensions to the SEND protocol will be defined in order to provide
equivalent SEND security capabilities to ND Proxies.

- Develop an informational document analysing different approaches to
allow SeND and CGAs to be used in conjunction with DHCP, and making
recommendations on which are the best suited. Recharter based on the
result of the analysis.

- Update base specifications (RFC 3971 and 3972).

Goals and Milestones:

Jun 08 WG last-call on analysis of hash related threats in SeND
Aug 08 WG last-call on Proxy-SeND problem statement
Dec 08 WG last-call on multiple hash function support in SeND, if required
Dec 08 WG last-call on multiple public key algorithm support for CGA
Dec 08 WG last-call on multiple public key algorithm support for SeND
Dec 08 WG last-call on certificate profile definition for SeND
Jan 09 WG last-call on Proxy SeND
Jun 09 WG last-call on certificate provision mechanism for SeND routers
Jun 09 WG last-call on certificate management best practices for SeND
routers
Jul 09 WG last-call on CGA-DHCP interaction
Nov 09 WG last-call on updated SeND specification
Nov 09 WG last-call on updated CGA specification

Jul 08 Submit draft on analysis of hash related threats in SeND to IESG
Set 08 Submit draft on Proxy-SeND problem statement to IESG
Jan 09 Submit draft on multiple hash function support in SeND to IESG, if
required
Jan 09 Submit draft on multiple public key algorithm support for CGA to
IESG
Jan 09 Submit draft on multiple public key algorithm support for SeND to
IESG
Jan 09 Submit draft on certificate profile definition for SeND to IESG
Feb 09 Submit draft on Proxy SeND to IESG
Jul 09 Submit draft on certificate provision mechanism for SeND routers to
IESG
Jul 09 Submit draft on certificate management best practices for SeND
routers to IESG
Aug 09 Submit draft on CGA-DHCP interaction to IESG
Dec 09 Submit draft on updated SeND specification to IESG
Dec 09 Submit draft on updated CGA specification to IESG
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce