Subject: Re: Informational RFC to be: draft-jayasumana-reorder-density-08.txt

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:09:42 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'Reorder Density and 
Reorder Buffer-occupancy Density - Metrics for Packet Reordering 
Measurements' <draft-jayasumana-reorder-density-08.txt> as an 
Informational RFC. 

The IESG would also like the RFC-Editor to review the comments in the 
datatracker 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=9915&rfc_flag=0)
related to this document and determine whether or not they merit 
incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both the ballot 
and the comment log. 

The IESG contact person is Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jayasumana-reorder-density-08.txt

The process for such documents is described at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html.

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary
 
  This document presents two metrics for packet reordering, namely,
  Reorder Density (RD) and Reorder Buffer-Occupancy Density (RBD).
 
Working Group Summary

  These metrics are not the product of an IETF working group. 
 
Protocol Quality
 
  The metrics defined in this document are similar in scope to the
  reordering metrics standardized by the IETF in RFC 4737, which is
  a product of the IPPM working group. A second set of reordering
  metrics is unlikely to conflict with the IETF standard metrics;
  the usefulness of this second set of metrics is uncertain.

Personnel

  Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) has reviewed this document
  for the IESG. Henk Uijterwaal ([email-masked]) has performed an
  expert review.

RFC Editor Note

  The IETF standard in this space (RFC4737) is titled "Packet
  Reordering Metrics". This document picks part of its title to be
  very similar ("Metrics for Packet Reordering Measurements").
  In the interest of making it clear that this is not an IETF
  standard metric, the RFC Editor is requested to change the title
  of the document, maybe simply to: "Reorder Density and Reorder
  Buffer-occupancy Density".

IESG Note

  [RFC 3932, Section 4, Option 1, modified]

  The content of this RFC was at one time considered by the IETF,
  and therefore it may resemble a current IETF work in progress or a
  published IETF work. The IETF standard for reordering metrics is
  RFC 4737. The metrics in this document were not adopted for
  inclusion in RFC 4737.  This RFC is not a candidate for any level of
  Internet Standard.  The IETF disclaims any knowledge of the
  fitness of this RFC for any purpose and in particular notes that
  the decision to publish is not based on IETF review for such
  things as security, congestion control, or inappropriate
  interaction with deployed protocols.  The RFC Editor has chosen to
  publish this document at its discretion.  Readers of this RFC
  should exercise caution in evaluating its value for implementation
  and deployment.  See RFC 3932 for more information.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce