Subject: Protocol Action: 'IMAP extension for referencing the last SEARCH result' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:05:28 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IMAP extension for referencing the last SEARCH result '
   <draft-melnikov-imap-search-res-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Chris Newman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-melnikov-imap-search-res-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
   Many IMAP clients use the result of a SEARCH command as the input to
   perform another operation, for example fetching the found messages,
   deleting them or copying them to another mailbox.

   This can be achieved using standard IMAP operations described in RFC
   3501, however this would be suboptimal: the server will send the list
   of found messages to the client, after that the client will have to
   parse the list, reformat it and send it back to the server.  The
   client can't pipeline the SEARCH command with the subsequent command,
   and, as a result, the server might not be able to perform some
   optimizations.

   This document proposes an IMAP extension that allows a client to tell
   a server to use the result of a SEARCH (or UID SEARCH) command as an
   input to any subsequent command.
 
Working Group Summary
 
  This is an individual submission.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  This was reviewed for the IESG by Chris Newman.  There has been
  some discussion about the details of when the server resets the
  saved search list to the empty set.  There are already 2 server
  implementations of this document.  At least one more client
  and server vendor is interested in implementing the specification.
  Spencer Dawkins was the GEN-ART reviewer.

Note to RFC Editor

Example 9, OLD:
                    S: H283 OK SEARCH completed
                    S: H282 OK SEARCH completed
NEW:
                    S: H282 OK SEARCH completed
                    S: H283 OK SEARCH completed
                       ^^^^

Section 2.4, first paragraph, OLD:
        are required to implement [ESEARCH] and to conform to additional
NEW:
        MUST implement [ESEARCH] and conform to additional

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce