Subject: RFC 5166 on Metrics for the Evaluation of Congestion Control Mechanisms

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:33:41 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5166

        Title:      Metrics for the Evaluation of 
                    Congestion Control Mechanisms 
        Author:     S. Floyd, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 53609
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-tmrg-metrics-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5166.txt

This document discusses the metrics to be considered in an
evaluation of new or modified congestion control mechanisms for the
Internet.  These include metrics for the evaluation of new transport
protocols, of proposed modifications to TCP, of application-level
congestion control, and of Active Queue Management (AQM) mechanisms
in the router.  This document is the first in a series of documents
aimed at improving the models that we use in the evaluation of
transport protocols.

This document is a product of the Transport Modeling Research Group
(TMRG), and has received detailed feedback from many members of the
Research Group (RG).  As the document tries to make clear, there is
not necessarily a consensus within the research community (or the
IETF community, the vendor community, the operations community, or
any other community) about the metrics that congestion control
mechanisms should be designed to optimize, in terms of trade-offs
between throughput and delay, fairness between competing flows, and
the like.  However, we believe that there is a clear consensus that
congestion control mechanisms should be evaluated in terms of
trade-offs between a range of metrics, rather than in terms of
optimizing for a single metric.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the IRTF Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce