Subject: Call for Comments: What Makes For a Successful Protocol?

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:11:59 -0700 (PDT)

The IAB is ready to ask the RFC-Editor to publish:

   What Makes For a Successful Protocol?
       draft-iab-protocol-success-03

as an informational RFC.Before doing so the IAB wants to solicit from
the community any last comments on this document.

This document contains a number of case studies of protocols that
were developed in and outside of the IETF and that had various
degrees of success. It defines a set of "basic success factors"
and "wild success factors" and concludes that initial success
factors are filling a real need, and being incrementally
deployable while open specifications and code are significant
factors when there are competing and comparable proposals.

Please provide your comments to the IAB by April 26, 2008. Please send
comments to the IAB ([email-masked]), or to [email-masked].

The document can be found at:           
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-protocol-success-03.txt

Abstract:
The Internet community has specified a large number of protocols to
date, and these protocols have achieved varying degrees of success.
Based on case studies, this document attempts to ascertain factors
that contribute to or hinder a protocol's success.  It is hoped that
these observations can serve as guidance for future protocol work.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce