Subject: Correction: Impending publication: draft-iab-dns-choices-05

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:57:15 -0800 (PST)

I managed to sneak in two errors:
1. a February 23 deadline, that should have been March 28
2. a link to version 03 of the document, that should have
   been 05.

For completeness:

The IAB is ready to ask the RFC-Editor to publish

    Design Choices When Expanding DNS
          draft-iab-dns-choices-05

as an Informational RFC.  This document provides a number of
considerations to assist application and protocol designers in
choosing a mechanism to store and retrieve data in the DNS. It treats,
among other things the pros and cons of using TXT records, and of
adding prefixes or suffixes to owner names. It argues that adding a
new Resource Record is the best solution to add new data to the DNS
and that the use of TXT Resource Records is the worst.

The IAB solicits comments by March 28, 2008. Please send
comments to the IAB ([email-masked]), or to [email-masked].

The document can be found at

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-dns-choices-05.txt

From the Abstract:

  This note discusses how to extend the DNS with new data for a new
  application.  DNS extension discussions too often focus on reuse of
  the TXT Resource Record Type.  This document lists different
  mechanisms to extend the DNS, and concludes that the use of a new DNS
  Resource Record Type is the best solution.

Olaf Kolkman,
     For the IAB.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce