Subject: RFC 5189 on Middlebox Communication (MIDCOM) Protocol Semantics

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:47:29 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5189

        Title:      Middlebox Communication (MIDCOM) Protocol Semantics 
        Author:     M. Stiemerling, J. Quittek, T. Taylor
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      70
        Characters: 161167
        Obsoletes:  RFC3989

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-midcom-rfc3989-bis-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5189.txt

This document specifies semantics for a Middlebox Communication (MIDCOM)
protocol to be used by MIDCOM agents for interacting with middleboxes 
such as firewalls and Network Address Translators (NATs).  The semantics discussion does not include any specification of a concrete syntax or a transport protocol.  However, a concrete protocol is expected to implement the specified semantics or, more likely, a superset of it.  The MIDCOM protocol semantics is derived from the MIDCOM requirements, from the 
MIDCOM framework, and from working group decisions.  This document obsoletes RFC 3989.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Middlebox Communication Working Group 
of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce