Subject: RFC 5182 on IMAP Extension for Referencing the Last SEARCH Result

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:34:04 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5182

        Title:      IMAP Extension for Referencing the 
                    Last SEARCH Result 
        Author:     A. Melnikov
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 24520
        Updates:    RFC3501

        I-D Tag:    draft-melnikov-imap-search-res-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5182.txt

Many IMAP clients use the result of a SEARCH command as the input to
perform another operation, for example, fetching the found messages,
deleting them, or copying them to another mailbox.

This can be achieved using standard IMAP operations described in RFC
3501; however, this would be suboptimal.  The server will send the list
of found messages to the client; after that, the client will have to
parse the list, reformat it, and send it back to the server.  The
client can't pipeline the SEARCH command with the subsequent command,
and, as a result, the server might not be able to perform some
optimizations.

This document proposes an IMAP extension that allows a client to tell
a server to use the result of a SEARCH (or Unique Identifier (UID)
SEARCH) command as an input to any subsequent command.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce