Subject: Protocol Action: 'Certificate Management Messages over CMS' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 06:29:44 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'Certificate Management Messages over CMS '
   <draft-ietf-pkix-2797-bis-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Certificate Managmement Messages over CMS (CMC): Complience 
   Requirements '
   <draft-ietf-pkix-cmc-compl-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Certificate Management over CMS (CMC): Transport Protocols '
   <draft-ietf-pkix-cmc-trans-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

These documents are products of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Sam Hartman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-2797-bis-07.txt

Technical Summary

  This document series obsoletes RFC 2797, "Certificate Management
  Protocol over CMS" (CMC). The update to CMC addresses two needs within
  the Internet PKI community:

    1.  The need for an interface to public key certification
        products and services based on CMS and PKCS #10; and

    2.  The need in S/MIME for a certificate enrollment protocol
        for DSA-signed certificates with Diffie-Hellman public keys.

  The updated CMC protocol preserves full backwards compatibility with
  RFC 2797.  No features defined in RFC 2797 have been changed, only new
  features have been added.

  The compliance document updates and expands the compliance
  requirements specified in RFC 2797.  The compliance requirements
  specified in this document have expanded scope and increased detail to
  ensure interoperability of future implementations.

  The transport protocol document updates the transport mechanisms
  defined in RFC 2797.  The technical content is essentially unchanged
  from RFC 2797, but was separated from the message formats for process
  reasons.  The transport mechanisms described in this document are
  HTTP, file, mail, and TCP.

Working Group Summary

  These documents are a product of the PKIX Working Group, which has
  extensively reviewed this technical content.  All PKIX WG Last Call
  issues have been resolved.  Discussion during PKIX WG Last Call
  demonstrated working group consensus.  This document has strong
  PKIX WG support.

Protocol Quality

  These documents reflect implementation experience, and address
  important details not previously included in RFC 2797.  Based on the
  implementation experience, this specification is complete, and it is
  sufficient to achieve expected levels of interoperability.

  This document series was reviewed by Russ Housley and Tim Polk
  for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note

In Section 5 of draft-ietf-pkix-cmc-trans, please make the
following substitution:

OLD:

   The connection is closed by the client after recieving a final
   response.  If a second round of messages is needed, the client can
   either re-use the same connection or use a new one.

NEW:

The client closes a connection after receiving a response, or it
issues another request to the server using the same connection.
Reusing one connection for multiple successive requests, instead of
opening multiple connections that are only used for a single
request, is RECOMMENDED for performance and resource conservation
reasons. A server MAY close a connection after it has been idle for
some period of time; this timeout would typically be several
minutes long.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce