Subject: Protocol Action: 'Network Mobility (NEMO) Extensions for Mobile IPv4' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:37:33 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Network Mobility (NEMO) Extensions for Mobile IPv4 '
   <draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobility for IPv4 Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-11.txt

Technical Summary

  This document defines some new extensions to Mobile IPv4 that
  allow the Mobile Node to communicate with the Home Agent about
  additional network prefixes that it may serve in the capacity
  of a Mobile Router.  A Mobile Router can be used to provide
  connectivity and mobility to an entire mobile network without
  any modification to other nodes in the mobile network.

  While it is technically possible to create a Mobile Router through
  static configuration, this extension allows the network prefixes
  to be signaled in Registration Request and Reply messages, so that
  the MN and HA can be explicit about which networks are requested
  and granted to the Mobile Router.

Working Group Summary

  The working group made some recent changes to indicate that this
  is just an extension to the Mobile IPv4 protocol, rather than a
  new mobility management protocol.  The document went through last
  call without any major disagreements coming up.

Document Quality

  Perhaps the draft would benefit by some review from the Routing
  Area, due to its mention of running dynamic routing protocols
  over the tunnel between MN and HA.  Hopefully this can happen 
  as part of IETF last call.
 
Personnel

   Document Shepherd is Pete McCann. Jari Arkko has reviewed
   this specification for the IESG and is the responsible AD
   for the document.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce