Subject: Protocol Action: 'Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 12:58:06 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs '
   <draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-09.txt> as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-09.txt

Technical Summary

  Many protocols make use of identifiers consisting of constants and
  other well-known values.  Even after a protocol has been defined and
  deployment has begun, new values may need to be assigned (e.g., for a
  new option type in DHCP, or a new encryption or authentication
  transform for IPsec).  To ensure that such quantities have consistent
  values and interpretations in different implementations, their
  assignment must be administered by a central authority.  For IETF
  protocols, that role is provided by the Internet Assigned Numbers
  Authority (IANA).

  In order for IANA to manage a given name space prudently, it needs
  guidelines describing the conditions under which new values can be
  assigned, or when modifications to existing values can be made.  If
  IANA is expected to play a role in the management of a name space, the
  IANA must be given clear and concise instructions describing that
  role.  This document discusses issues that should be considered in
  formulating a policy for assigning values to a name space and provides
  guidelines to document authors on the specific text that must be
  included in documents that place demands on IANA.

Working Group Summary

  This document is not the product of any IETF Working Group.

Protocol Quality

  This document will obsolete RFC 2434 once it is approved.  It
  incorporates lessons learned from using RFC 2434 for many years.

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor

  The final word of the first paragraph on page 8 is missing.
  Please add the missing word as follows:

  OLD:

   responsibility of the pool's chair to resolve the issue and provide
   IANA with clear

  NEW:

   responsibility of the pool's chair to resolve the issue and provide
   IANA with clear instructions.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce