Subject: Protocol Action: 'Sieve Email Filtering: Environment Extension' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:59:57 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Sieve Email Filtering: Environment Extension '
   <draft-freed-sieve-environment-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Chris Newman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-sieve-environment-05.txt

Technical Summary

   This document describes the "environment" extension to the Sieve
   email filtering language.  The "environment" extension gives a
   Sieve script access to information about the Sieve interpreter
   itself, where it is running, and about any transport connection
   currently involved in transferring the message.

Working Group Summary

   This is an individual submission, but the document was extensively
   reviewed on the Sieve WG mailing list.  There was strong support
   in favor of this document from implementors. There were some
   discussions about list of initial attributes specified in the
   document, but most of them were centered around naming.

IETF Last Call Summary

   There was fairly extensive discussion during IETF last call
   which resulted in several improvements to the document.  It was
   noted during last call that the extension has two different kinds
   of environment information: static information about the evaluation
   engine and dynamic information about remote IP/host.  The community
   felt it was not a problem to have one syntax cover both kinds of
   environment data.

Document Quality

   At least 5 people have reviewed the current or earlier versions
   of the document. Posted comments were addressed in the latest
   revision.  There is 1 existing implementation and at least 3
   more are planned.

Personnel

   Alexey Melnikov is the document shepherd.  Chris Newman is the 
   responsible area director.

Note to RFC Editor

Abstract
OLD:
    The "environment" extension gives Sieve access to information
    about the environment where the Sieve interpreter is running.
NEW:
    The "environment" extension gives a Sieve script access to
    information about the Sieve interpreter itself, where it is
    running, and about any transport connection currently involved
    in transferring the message.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce