Subject: Protocol Action: 'MIP6-bootstrapping for the Integrated Scenario' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 06:56:16 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'MIP6-bootstrapping for the Integrated Scenario '
   <draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobility for IPv6 Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
   Mobile IPv6 bootstrapping can be categorized into two primary
   scenarios, the split scenario and the integrated scenario.  In the
   split scenario, the mobile node's mobility service is authorized by a
   different service authorizer than the network access authorizer.  In
   the the integrated scenario, the mobile node's mobility service is
   authorized by the same service authorizer as the network access
   service authorizer.  This document defines a method for home agent
   information discovery for the integrated scenario

Working Group Summary
 
   The design team had some differences regarding the integrated
   scenario and use of DHCP as a means for bootstrapping. However
   these issues have subsequently been clarified. The current I-D in a
   previous version included several DHCP options which are required
   for bootstrapping. These have now been specified in a separate
   I-D (draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-03.txt). This I-D is dependent on the
   DHCP options specified in the companion MIP6 WG Doc:
   draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-03.txt
 
   The specification has also been reviewed in the DHC WG.
   The completion of this waited until the companion document
   was also revised according to the review issues from
   DHC WG.

Protocol Quality
 
   This specification has been reviewed by Jari Arkko for
   the IESG. A review from the Mobility Directorate has been
   requested. A last call in the DHC WG has been performed.

   No known implementations of this protocol exist at the current
   time. However some vendors have indicated plans to implement this
   specification. This specification is also of interest in other SDOs
   such as 3GPP2 and WiMAX forum.

Note to RFC Editor
 
  Insert the following text to the third paragraph of Section 1,
  after the paragraph's first sentence:

In the integrated scenario, the bootstrapping of the home agent
information can be achieved via DHCPv6. The motivation for using DHCPv6
is to let the network assign the home agent to the MN when the MN
performs network access authentication with the Access Service
Authorizer which is also the Mobility Service Authorizer of the MN
(integrated scenario).  The Mobility Service Authorizer assigns the home
agent information for the MN via AAA transaction with the NAS. The MN
can retrieve the assigned home agent information using DHCPv6
subsequently.

  Please replace the Security Considerations section with this:

   The transport of the assigned home agent information from the AAA
   server to the MN entails carrying this information in the form of
   AAA and DHCP payloads. 

   Integrity and privacy protection of home agent information as it 
   is delivered from home AAA server to the AAA client (NAS) in the 
   form of a AAA attribute/AVP is described in [MIP6-RADIUS] for RADIUS 
   and [MIP6-Dime] for Diameter. Similarly, [HIOPT] describes the 
   integrity and privacy of this information as it is delivered from DHCP

   relay (NAS) to DHCP server to DHCP client in the form of a
   DHCP option.

   This protocol inherits security considerations from RFCs 3775, 
   4640, and [BOOT-SPLIT].

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce