Subject: RFC 5171 on Cisco Systems UniDirectional Link Detection (UDLD) Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:47:19 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5171

        Title:      Cisco Systems UniDirectional Link Detection 
                    (UDLD) Protocol 
        Author:     M. Foschiano
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       April 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 28149
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-foschiano-udld-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5171.txt

This document describes a Cisco Systems protocol that can be used to
detect and disable unidirectional Ethernet fiber or copper links
caused, for instance, by mis-wiring of fiber strands, interface
malfunctions, media converters' faults, etc.  It operates at Layer 2
in conjunction with IEEE 802.3's existing Layer 1 fault detection
mechanisms.

This document explains the protocol objectives and applications,
illustrates the specific premises the protocol was based upon, and
describes the protocol architecture and related deployment issues to
serve as a possible base for future standardization.  This memo provides 
information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce