Subject: IESG Statement on Spam Control on IETF Mailing Lists

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:39:38 -0700 (PDT)

The following principles apply to spam control on IETF mailing lists:

* IETF mailing lists MUST provide spam control.
* Such spam control SHOULD track accepted practices used on the Internet.
* IETF mailing lists MUST provide a mechanism for legitimate technical
participants to bypass moderation, challenge-response, or other techniques
that would interfere with a prompt technical debate on the mailing list
without requiring such participants to receive list traffic.
* IETF mailing lists MUST provide a mechanism for legitimate technical
participants to determine if an attempt to post was dropped as apparent
spam.
* The Internet draft editor, RFC editor, IESG secretary, IETF chair and
IANA MUST be able to post to IETF mailing lists. The relevant identity
information for these roles will be added to any white-list mechanism used
by an IETF mailing list.
* There MUST be a mechanism to complain that a message was inappropriately
blocked.

The realization of these principles is expected to change over time.
List moderators, working group chairs and area directors are expected to
interpret these principles reasonably and within the context of IETF
policy and philosophy.

This supercedes a previous IESG statement on this topic:
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/mail-submit-policy.txt
That statement contains justification and implementation advice that may
be helpful to anyone applying these principles.

A separate IESG statement applies to moderation of IETF mailing lists:
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/moderated-lists.txt

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce