Subject: RFC 5184 on Unified Layer 2 (L2) Abstractions for Layer 3 (L3)-Driven Fast Handover

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 16:30:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5184

        Title:      Unified Layer 2 (L2) Abstractions 
                    for Layer 3 (L3)-Driven Fast Handover 
        Author:     F. Teraoka, K. Gogo,
                    K. Mitsuya, R. Shibui,
                    K. Mitani
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       May 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 64137
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-mobopts-l2-abstractions-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5184.txt

This document proposes unified Layer 2 (L2) abstractions for Layer 3
(L3)-driven fast handovers.  For efficient network communication, it
is vital for a protocol layer to know or utilize other layers'
information, such as the form of L2 triggers.  However, each protocol
layer is basically designed independently.  Since each protocol layer
is also implemented independently in current operating systems, it is
very hard to exchange control information between protocol layers.
This document defines nine kinds of L2 abstractions in the form of
"primitives" to achieve fast handovers in the network layer as a means
of solving the problem.  This mechanism is called "L3-driven fast
handovers" because the network layer initiates L2 and L3 handovers by
using the primitives.  This document is a product of the IP Mobility
Optimizations (MobOpts) Research Group.  This memo defines an Experimental 
Protocol for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the IRTF Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce