Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Key Management Framework' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 15:31:29 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Key Management Framework '
   <draft-ietf-eap-keying-22.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Extensible Authentication Protocol 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eap-keying-22.txt

Technical Summary

  This document specifies the EAP key hierarchy and provides a
  framework for the transport and usage of keying material generated
  by EAP authentication algorithms, known as "methods". It also 
  provides a system-level security analysis, according to the 
  principles described in "Guidance for AAA Key Management".

Working Group Summary

  Much of the WG discussion of this document centered on aspects of
  key management, including key creation, deletion, transport and
  naming. EAP usage is growing increasingly diverse, so that there
  was discussion about whether the the examples depict the issues 
  encountered in existing EAP lower layer implementations, and whether 
  the principles articulated are universal or merely true for all
  existing implementations. There was also discussion about
  the relationship between this document and "Guidance for AAA Key
  Management" which articulates principles that AAA Key Management
  solutions must satisfy to qualify for standards track publication.

Document Quality

  There are existing implementations of this document, and further    
  implementations are likely.

Personnel

  Bernard Aboba is the document shepherd. The responsible Area Director
  is Jari Arkko. No IANA expert is needed.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce