Subject: RFC 5243 on OSPF Database Exchange Summary List Optimization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 16:31:01 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5243

        Title:      OSPF Database Exchange Summary List 
                    Optimization 
        Author:     R. Ogier
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       May 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 11029
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ogier-ospf-dbex-opt-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5243.txt

This document describes a backward-compatible optimization for the
Database Exchange process in OSPFv2 and OSPFv3.  In this optimization,
a router does not list a Link State Advertisement (LSA) in Database
Description packets sent to a neighbor, if the same or a more recent
instance of the LSA was listed in a Database Description packet
already received from the neighbor.  This optimization reduces
Database Description overhead by about 50% in large networks.  This
optimization does not affect synchronization, since it only omits
unnecessary information from Database Description packets.  This memo 
provides information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce