Subject: WG Review: Data for Reachability of Inter/tra-NetworK SIP (drinks)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 13:26:05 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Real-time Applications
and Infrastructure Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.
The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by May 22, 2008.

Data for Reachability of Inter/tra-NetworK SIP (drinks)
-------------------------------------------
Last modified: 2008-05-14

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chairs: TBD

Area Directorate: Real Time Applications (RAI)

RAI Director(s):

Jon Peterson [email-masked]
Cullen Jennings [email-masked]

Mailing Lists: [email-masked]
General information about the mailing list is at:
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint

Description of working group:

The IETF has been working on various aspects of SIP-enabled Multimedia
administrative domains among SIP Service Providers (SSP's). SSP's are
entities that provide session services utilizing SIP signaling to their
customers. In addition, the IETF has done significant work on data
exchanges among various network elements.

The ENUM and SPEERMINT working groups provide the underlying context for
much of the intended work that the DRINKS working group will undertake.

The ENUM working group is specifically chartered to develop protocols
that involve the translation of E.164 numbers to URIs. While the SPEERMINT
working group has been chartered to develop requirements and best current
practices among real-time application SSPs and to describe how such
services may best interconnect across administrative boundaries.

Specifically, DRINKS will provide details of how Session Establishment
Data (SED) is collected, what comprises SED, how SED should be used to
properly identify an optimal path to a destination SIP user agent (UA),
either internally or externally to the SSP. For the initial iteration of
this charter, the SED data is assumed to be fields that might be
provisioned for ENUM, with limited exceptions. If the working group would
like to work on data types unrelated to ENUM registries and databases, the
WG will recharter. In addition DRINKS will ensure that the SED and the SIP
session data securely exchanged between the peering functions.

Typical SED data might include:

+ Routes
- Destination SIP/SIPS/TEL URI Egress and Ingress Routes
- Relevant route names, identifiers, and services
- Attributes affecting route selection
- PSTN database information

+ Targets
- Individual, ranges, or groups of user-agent identifiers
- Target aggregation entities (e.g. service areas) and
target-to-aggregate associations

+ Treatment Profiles
- Priority
- Location

Potential SED Data types not in scope will be session rating or other
billing or pricing information between SSP's.

It is also recognized that peering relationships become more complex as
multiple peers are added to a common relationship; these complex aspects
and requirements are defined within the contexts of a peering Federation.

The DRINKS working group is chartered with a scope that is orthogonal to
SPEERMINT and ENUM. The protocol work of DRINKS will be designed to build
from the work of SPEERMINT and ENUM to identify and define the data
structures and data exchange protocol(s) among SIP based Multimedia
administrative domains.

These administrative domains may be of any practical size and could be
any type of SSP, such as recognized telephony carriers, enterprises,
end-user groups, or Federations. Data exchanges among these administrative
domains may be bi-lateral or multi-lateral in nature, and could include
bulk updates and/or more granular real-time updates.

Administrative domains may exchange data directly between each other or
might use an external registry to aggregate data from multiple
administrative domains or multiple data providers into a single view.

The working group will draw upon expert advice and on-going consultation
from the ENUM and SPEERMINT working groups, and also the XML Directorate.
The working group will consider the reuse of elements of RFC 4114.

The final work product(s) from this working group will utilize and be
based on XML documents and XML document exchanges.

GOALS AND MILESTONES

Nov 08 - WGLC for Requirements for Session Establishment Data (SED) data
exchanges (Proposed Standard).

Dec 08 - IESG Submission for Requirements for Session Establishment Data
(SED) data exchanges.

Jan 09 - WGLC for Exchanging of Session Establishment Data (SED) from
data providers to registries or between bi/multi-lateral partners
(Proposed standard).

Feb 09 IESG Submission for Exchanging of Session Establishment Data (SED)
from data providers to registries or between bi/multi-lateral partners.

Mar 09 - WGLC for Exchange of Session Establishment Data (SED) from
registries to Location Routing Function databases (Proposed Status).

Apr 09 - IESG Submission for Exchange of Session Establishment Data (SED)
from registries to Location Routing Function databases.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce