Subject: Document Action: 'Requirements for address selection mechanisms' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:25:47 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Requirements for address selection mechanisms '
   <draft-ietf-v6ops-addr-select-req-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-addr-select-req-07.txt

> Technical Summary: 

One physical network can have multiple logical networks. In that
case, an end-host has multiple IP addresses. (e.g., in the IPv4-IPv6
dual-stack environment, in a site that uses both ULA [RFC4193] and
global scope addresses or in a site connected to multiple upstream
IPv6 networks) For such a host, RFC 3484 [RFC3484] defines default
address-selection rules for the source and destination addresses.

Today, the RFC 3484 mechanism is widely implemented in major OSs.
However, we and others have found that in many sites the default
address-selection rules are not appropriate for the network
structure. PS [I-D.ietf-v6ops-addr-select-ps] lists problematic
cases that resulted from incorrect address selection.

Though RFC 3484 made the address-selection behavior of a host
configurable, typical users cannot make use of that because of the
complexity of the mechanism and lack of knowledge about their
network
topologies. Therefore, an address-selection autoconfiguration
mechanism is necessary, especially for unmanaged hosts of typical
users.

This document contains requirements for address-selection mechanisms
that enable hosts to perform appropriate address selection
automatically.

> Working Group Summary: 

The problem statement and requirements have been thoroughly discussed
and seem to have a reasonably strong consensus. The proposed solution
is not yet agreed to.

> Document Quality: 

This is not a protocol. It is a requirements statement for an
operational policy procedure. RFC 3484 is implemented in several OS's.

Personnel

Fred Baker is shepard for this document

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce