Subject: BCP 26, RFC 5226 on Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 16:36:17 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 26        
        RFC 5226

        Title:      Guidelines for Writing an IANA 
                    Considerations Section in RFCs 
        Author:     T. Narten, H. Alvestrand
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       May 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 66160
        Obsoletes:  RFC2434
        See Also:   BCP0026

        I-D Tag:    draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5226.txt

Many protocols make use of identifiers consisting of constants and
other well-known values.  Even after a protocol has been defined and
deployment has begun, new values may need to be assigned (e.g., for a
new option type in DHCP, or a new encryption or authentication transform for IPsec).  To ensure that such quantities have consistent values and interpretations across all implementations, their assignment must be administered by a central authority.  For IETF protocols, that role is provided by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).

In order for IANA to manage a given namespace prudently, it needs
guidelines describing the conditions under which new values can be
assigned or when modifications to existing values can be made.  If
IANA is expected to play a role in the management of a namespace,
IANA must be given clear and concise instructions describing that
role.  This document discusses issues that should be considered in
formulating a policy for assigning values to a namespace and
provides guidelines for authors on the specific text that
must be included in documents that place demands on IANA.

This document obsoletes RFC 2434.  This document specifies an Internet Best 
Current Practices for the Internet Community, and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce