Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Registry for SMTP Enhanced Mail System Status Codes' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:14:48 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Registry for SMTP Enhanced Mail System Status Codes '
   <draft-hansen-4468upd-mailesc-registry-05.txt> as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Chris Newman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hansen-4468upd-mailesc-registry-05.txt

Technical Summary

   The specification for enhanced mail system enhanced status codes, RFC
   3463, establishes a new code model and lists a collection of status
   codes.  While it anticipated that more codes would be added over
   time, it did not provide an explicit mechanism for registering and
   tracking those codes.  This document specifies an IANA registry for
   mail system enhanced status codes, and initializes that registry with
   the codes so far established in published standards-track documents,
   as well as other codes that have become established in the industry.

Working Group Summary

   This document has been reviewed on the ietf-smtp mailing list.
   There have been several comments on details, which have largely
   been incorporated, and substantial revisions from the first draft
   to this one. No objection to the effort has been made; the
   authors have been commended for undertaking the effort.

Document Quality

   The document has been reviewed by the mailing list and the document
   shepherd. The specific codes described here document existing
   practice, except for the newly defined codes that are concerned
   with resolving conflicts between multiple usages of codepoints
   in present usage.  This was reviewed for the IESG by Chris
   Newman.

Note to RFC Editor

In Section 2.2, delete the following:

    The procedures from [RFC4020] may be followed to pre-allocate an
    Enhanced Status Code before final publication of an internet draft.

In section 2.3, please replace "responsible party" with "change
controller".

In Section 5.1, delete the following:

   [RFC4020]  Kompella, K. and A. Zinin, "Early IANA Allocation of
              Standards Track Code Points", BCP 100, RFC 4020,
              February 2005.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce