Subject: RFC 5257 on Internet Message Access Protocol - ANNOTATE Extension

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:11:11 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5257

        Title:      Internet Message Access Protocol - 
                    ANNOTATE Extension 
        Author:     C. Daboo, R. Gellens
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       June 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Characters: 58786
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-imapext-annotate-16.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5257.txt

The ANNOTATE extension to the Internet Message Access Protocol
permits clients and servers to maintain "meta data" for messages, or
individual message parts, stored in a mailbox on the server.  For
example, this can be used to attach comments and other useful
information to a message.  It is also possible to attach annotations
to specific parts of a message, so that, for example, they could be
marked as seen, or important, or a comment added.

Note that this document was the product of a WG that had good
consensus on how to approach the problem.  Nevertheless, the WG felt
it did not have enough information on implementation and deployment
hurdles to meet all of the requirements of a Proposed Standard.  The
IETF solicits implementations and implementation reports in order to
make further progress.

Implementers should be aware that this specification may change in an
incompatible manner when going to Proposed Standard status.
However, any incompatible changes will result in a new capability
name being used to prevent problems with any deployments of the
experimental extension.  This memo defines an Experimental Protocol 
for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Internet Message Access Protocol Extension Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce