Subject: RFC 5197 on On the Applicability of Various Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY) Modes and Extensions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:43:22 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5197

        Title:      On the Applicability of Various 
                    Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY) Modes and 
                    Extensions 
        Author:     S. Fries, D. Ignjatic
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       June 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Characters: 76848
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-msec-mikey-applicability-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5197.txt

Multimedia Internet Keying (MIKEY) is a key management protocol that
can be used for %real-time applications.  In particular, it has been
defined focusing on the support of the Secure %Real-time Transport
Protocol (SRTP).  MIKEY itself is standardized within RFC 3830 and
defines four key distribution methods.  Moreover, it is defined to
allow extensions of the protocol.  As MIKEY becomes more and more
accepted, extensions to the base protocol arise, especially in terms
of additional key distribution methods but also in terms of payload
enhancements.

This document provides an overview about the MIKEY base document in
general as well as the existing extensions for MIKEY, which have been
defined or are in the process of definition.  It is intended as an
additional source of information for developers or architects to
provide more insight in use case scenarios and motivations as well as
advantages and disadvantages for the different key distribution
schemes.  The use cases discussed in this document are strongly
related to dedicated SIP call scenarios providing challenges for key
management in general, among them media before Session Description
Protocol (SDP) answer, forking, and shared key conferencing.  This memo 
provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Multicast Security Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce