Subject: RFC 5236 on Improved Packet Reordering Metrics

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 15:23:53 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5236

        Title:      Improved Packet Reordering Metrics 
        Author:     A. Jayasumana, N. Piratla,
                    T. Banka, A. Bare,
                    R. Whitner
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       June 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 57805
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-jayasumana-reorder-density-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5236.txt

This document presents two improved metrics for packet reordering,
namely, Reorder Density (RD) and Reorder Buffer-occupancy Density
(RBD).  A threshold is used to clearly define when a packet is
considered lost, to bound computational complexity at O(N), and to
keep the memory requirement for evaluation independent of N, where N
is the length of the packet sequence.  RD is a comprehensive metric
that captures the characteristics of reordering, while RBD evaluates
the sequences from the point of view of recovery from reordering.

These metrics are simple to compute yet comprehensive in their
characterization of packet reordering.  The measures are robust and
orthogonal to packet loss and duplication.  This memo provides 
information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce