Subject: Protocol Action: 'BFD For MPLS LSPs' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:20:02 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'BFD For MPLS LSPs '
   <draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and David Ward.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-07.txt

Technical Summary

   One desirable application of Bi-directional Forwarding Detection
   (BFD) is to detect a MPLS LSP data plane failure. LSP-Ping is an
   existing mechanism for detecting MPLS data plane failures and for
   verifying the MPLS LSP data plane against the control plane. BFD can
   be used for the former, but not for the latter. However the control
   plane processing required for BFD control packets is relatively
   smaller than the processing required for LSP-Ping messages. A
   combination of LSP-Ping and BFD can be used to provide faster data
   plane failure detection and/or make it possible to provide such
   detection on a greater number of LSPs. This document describes the
   applicability of BFD in relation to LSP-Ping for this application. It
   also describes procedures for using BFD in this environment.

Working Group Summary

   This working group has operated quite smoothly. 

Document Quality

   This use of BFD has been implemented and deployed by multiple 
   vendors. 

Personnel

   Dave Ward is the Document Shepherd for this document.  Ross
   Callon is the Responsible Area Director.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce