Subject: Protocol Action: 'Textual Conventions for Syslog Management' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 13:04:48 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Textual Conventions for Syslog Management '
   <draft-ietf-syslog-tc-mib-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Security Issues in Network Event 
Logging Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Pasi Eronen and Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-tc-mib-08.txt

Technical Summary

   This document contains a MIB module that defines textual
   conventions to represent facility and severity information 
   commonly used in syslog messages. The intent is that these 
   textual conventions will be imported and used in MIB modules 
   that would otherwise define their own representations.

Working Group Summary

   The consensus of the working group was to publish this as 
   a standards-track document.

Document Quality

   These textual conventions standardize MIB representation of
   facility and severity, concepts which are widely used in existing
   implementations of syslog.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is David Harrington. MIB Doctor review 
   was performed by Dan Romascanu. The responsible AD is Pasi Eronen.

RFC Editor Note

   Section 3, DESCRIPTION of SyslogFacility 
   OLD: 
      In particular, the labels corresponding to Facility codes 4, 10,
      13, and 14, and the code corresponding to the Facility label
      'cron' are known to vary across different operating systems.
   NEW:
      In particular, the labels corresponding to Facility codes 4, 10,
      13, and 14, and the code corresponding to the Facility label
      'cron' are known to vary across different operating systems. To
      distinguish between the labels corresponding to Facility codes 9
      and 15, a label of 'cron2' is assigned to the Facility code 15.

   Section 3, DESCRIPTION of SyslogFacility:
   OLD:
      The mapping specified here MUST be used in SNMP contexts, even
      though a particular syslog implementation would use a different
      mapping.
   NEW:
      The mapping specified here MUST be used in a MIB network
      management interface, even though a particular syslog
      implementation might use a different mapping in a different
      network management interface.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce