Subject: RFC 5258 on Internet Message Access Protocol version 4 - LIST Command Extensions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 15:16:51 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5258

        Title:      Internet Message Access Protocol version 
                    4 - LIST Command Extensions 
        Author:     B. Leiba, A. Melnikov
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       June 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Characters: 65074
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-imapext-list-extensions-18.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5258.txt

IMAP4 has two commands for listing mailboxes: LIST and LSUB.  As we
have added extensions, such as Mailbox Referrals, that have required
specialized lists we have had to expand the number of list commands,
since each extension must add its function to both LIST and LSUB, and
these commands are not, as they are defined, extensible.  If we've
needed the extensions to work together, we've had to add a set of
commands to mix the different options, the set increasing in size
with each new extension.  This document describes an extension to the
base LIST command that will allow these additions to be done with
mutually compatible options to the LIST command, avoiding the
exponential increase in specialized list commands.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Internet Message Access Protocol Extension Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce