Subject: Mailing List Filters

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 08:03:13 -0700

Several weeks ago, we removed some spam filtering rules from the IETF email
lists because there were concerns that, in a few very specific
circumstances, the rules were preventing legitimate mail from getting
through. Unfortunately, the removal of those spam rules has resulted in a
huge increase in spam sent to the lists, which has in turn greatly increased
the burden for all list moderators.

Because of this, we are planning to reinstitute two of those spam rules on
Monday of next week. For the vast majority of you, this will not even be
noticeable. However, if after Monday of next week you begin to experience
difficulty when you try to send mail to the IETF -- either to the
Secretariat or to a mailing list -- we have created a form that will enable
you to report your problem (the form bypasses the spam filters). Once we
know that you are experiencing difficulty, we can create an exception that
will enable you to send email again.

The form is accessible under the "IETF Secretariat" link from the home page,
at the bottom of the Secretariat contact page under "To Report Problems." A
direct link is here: http://www.ietf.org/contactform.html.

If you are curious to know what spam rules we are reinstating on Monday,
they are:

Rule A. This rule insists that, when a machine makes a HELO greeting, and
claims to be a certain machine, the name it claims exists in its appropriate
zone file, as either an "A" or an "MX" record.

Rule B. This rule does a reverse lookup on the client's IP address, and
makes sure that we can identify it as being IN-REV'ed by someone.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
Alexa

-----------
Alexa Morris / Executive Director / IETF
48377 Fremont Blvd., Suite 117, Fremont, CA  94538
Phone: +1.510.492.4089 / Fax: +1.510.492.4001
Email: [email-masked]

Managed by Association Management Solutions (AMS)
Forum Management, Meeting and Event Planning
www.amsl.com <http://www.amsl.com/>

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce