Subject: RFC 5275 on CMS Symmetric Key Management and Distribution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:43:32 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5275

        Title:      CMS Symmetric Key Management and 
                    Distribution 
        Author:     S. Turner
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       June 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      89
        Characters: 207920
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-smime-symkeydist-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5275.txt

This document describes a mechanism to manage (i.e., set up,
distribute, and rekey) keys used with symmetric cryptographic
algorithms.  Also defined herein is a mechanism to organize users
into groups to support distribution of encrypted content using
symmetric cryptographic algorithms.  The mechanism uses the
Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) protocol and Certificate
Management over CMS (CMC) protocol to manage the
symmetric keys.  Any member of the group can then later use this
distributed shared key to decrypt other CMS encrypted objects with
the symmetric key.  This mechanism has been developed to support
Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Mail List Agents 
(MLAs).  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce