Subject: Protocol Action: 'Three-Way Handshake for Intermediate System to Intermediate System (IS-IS) Point-to-Point Adjacencies' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:14:52 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Three-Way Handshake for Intermediate System to Intermediate System 
   (IS-IS) Point-to-Point Adjacencies '
   <draft-ietf-isis-rfc3373bis-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and David Ward.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-rfc3373bis-01.txt

Technical Summary

   The IS-IS routing protocol (Intermediate System to Intermediate
   System, ISO 10589) requires reliable protocols at the link layer for
   point-to-point links.  As a result, it does not use a three-way
   handshake when establishing adjacencies on point-to- point media.
   This paper defines a backward-compatible extension to the protocol
   that provides for a three-way handshake.  It is fully interoperable
   with systems that do not support the extension.

   Additionally, the extension allows the robust operation of more than
   256 point-to-point links on a single router.

Working Group Summary

   This is part of a series of seven documents that were originally
   published as informational for historic reasons, but are now 
   being updated to proposed standard status. There is broad 
   consensus in the WG for this upgrade in status. 

Document Quality

   This extension has been implemented by multiple router vendors
   and widely deployed. This specification is provided to the 
   Internet community in order to allow interoperable 
   implementations to be built by other vendors.

Personnel

   Chris Hopps and Dave Ward have been jointly shepherding this
   series of seven documents. Ross Callon is the responsible AD. 

RFC Editor Note

   Please replace the existing informational reference to RFC3567 with a
   informative reference to draft-ietf-isis-rfc3567bis. 

   The reference to [rfc3567] in section 5 (security considerations) 
   should be changed to a reference to draft-ietf-isis-rfc3567bis
   (or to whatever RFC this turns into). 

   Also, please hold publication of this document until 
   draft-ietf-isis-rfc3567bis is published, so that we can reference 
   the RFC, rather than the Internet draft. Also note that we expect
   approval of draft-ietf-isis-rfc3567bis within a few days of the 
   approval of this draft.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce