Subject: Protocol Action: 'MPLS Upstream Label Assignment and Context-Specific Label Space' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:58:18 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'MPLS Upstream Label Assignment and Context-Specific Label Space '
   <draft-ietf-mpls-upstream-label-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and David Ward.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-upstream-label-07.txt

Technical Summary

   RFC 3031 limits the MPLS architecture to downstream-assigned MPLS
   labels.  This document introduces the notion of upstream-assigned
   MPLS labels. It describes the procedures for upstream MPLS label
   assignment and introduces the concept of a "Context-Specific Label
   Space". Note that upstream label assignment is specifically useful
   for supporting multicast MPLS across multicast LANs.

Working Group Summary

   This document, along with one other (draft-ietf-mpls-multicast-
   encaps) are the forerunners on a set of multicast documents that
   are being worked on and have been widely discussed in the working 
   group and will be submitted to the IESG once these two documents
   are approved. 

Document Quality

   Upstream label assignment is not something that you implement 
   on its own, but rather something that is used by other documents
   (specifically other documents related to MPLS multicast). This 
   is the basis for other documents that will be submitted in the 
   near (?) future. 
 
Personnel

   Loa Andersson is the document shepherd, however both WG chairs 
   (Loa and George) have reviewed the document. Ross Callon is the
   responsible AD. There are no IANA actions required for this 
   document (as specified in the Null IANA section).

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce