Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA) tel Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) Parameter Registry' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:51:39 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA) tel Uniform Resource 
   Identifier (URI) Parameter Registry '
   <draft-ietf-iptel-tel-reg-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Telephony Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iptel-tel-reg-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document is a procedural specification that defines a new IANA
registry for parameters to the tel URI (RFC 3966). RFC 3966 allowed
extensions to the tel URI through new URI parameters, or new values to
previously defined parameters. However, it created no registry for
such parameters. Several extensions have since been defined for the
tel URI, including trunk groups (draft-ietf-iptel-trunk-group), number
portability (RFC 4694) and ENUM dip indicator (RFC 4759). Additional
drafts have appeared proposing further extensions. To ensure that
there are no overlap of values, and to provide a simple place for
developers to find the meaning of these new parameters, this document
defines an IANA registry and populates it with values from the
existing specifications that pre-date the creation of the registry. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
The draft is a charter item of the IP Telephony (iptel) working group,
and is targeted for Proposed Standard. It updates the tel URI
specification (RFC 3966) as well as several tel URI extensions. It was
adopted as a working group item in December 2005 and discussed on the
mailing list since its creation. 
 
Protocol Quality

This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson. Jonathan
Rosenberg is the document shepherd. Gen-ART review was provided by Brian
Carpenter. 

The specification has received discussion by all of the authors of the
specifications whose parameters are registered. It has also received
review by an expert in IANA registry procedures.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce