Subject: Protocol Action: 'IANA Considerations and IETF Protocol Usage for IEEE 802 Parameters' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 06:04:16 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IANA Considerations and IETF Protocol Usage for IEEE 802 Parameters '
   <draft-eastlake-ethernet-iana-considerations-08.txt> as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-ethernet-iana-considerations-08.txt

Technical Summary

   Some IETF protocols make use of Ethernet frame formats and IEEE 802.1
   parameters.  This document discusses some uses of such parameters in
   IETF protocols and specifies IANA considerations for allocation of
   code points under the IANA OUI (Organizationally Unique Identifier).

Working Group Summary

   The document is an individual submission.

Document Quality

   The document secifies IANA considerations for the allocation of IEEE 
   802 parameters, based on current practices and past experience. The 
   document was reviewed by several experts in the IETF and the IEEE 
   including Geoff Thompson, Scott Bradner, Charlie Kauffman, Alfred 
   Hoenes, Bob Hinden, Eric Gray, Ian Calder, Mark Townsley and their 
   comments were reflected in the final version of the document. 

Personnel

   Eric Nordmark is the protocol shepherd. Dan Romascanu is the
   sponsoring Area Director. 

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following change in Section 5.1

OLD: 

         however, if the Expert believes the application should be
         approved or they are uncertain and believes that the
         circumstances warrant the attention of the IESG, the Expert
         will forward the application, together with their reasons for
         approval or uncertainty, to the IESG, which must approve for
         the allocation to be granted. This can be accomplished by a
         management item in an IESG telechat. 

NEW: 

         however, if the Expert believes the application should be
         approved or they are uncertain and believes that the
         circumstances warrant the attention of the IESG, the Expert
         will inform IANA about their advice and IANA 
         will forward the application, together with the reasons for
         approval or uncertainty, to the IESG, which must approve for
         the allocation to be granted. This can be accomplished by a
         management item in an IESG telechat as done for other types of 
         requests. 

IESG Note

  (Insert IESG Note here or remove section)

IANA Note

  (Insert IANA Note here or remove section)

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce