Subject: Protocol Action: 'Sampling and Filtering Techniques for IP Packet Selection' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:02:26 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Sampling and Filtering Techniques for IP Packet Selection '
   <draft-ietf-psamp-sample-tech-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Packet Sampling Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-psamp-sample-tech-11.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document describes Sampling and Filtering techniques for IP packet
selection. It provides a categorization of schemes and defines what
parameters are needed to describe the most common selection schemes.
Furthermore it shows how techniques can be combined to build more
elaborate packet Selectors. The document provides the basis for the
definition of information models for configuring selection techniques in
Measurement Processes and for reporting the technique in use to a
Collector.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This document has been a regular WG document. There is strong consensus in
the working group concerning the content of this document and the fact
that it describes an appropriate sampling and filtering techniques for IP
packet selection.
 
Protocol Quality
 
Dan Romascanu reviewed this document for the IESG, Vijay K. Gurbani did
the Gen-Art review and Mark Allman performed an expert review on behalf of
the TSV directorate. There are no known implementations yet, but two
vendors and academic research institutes announced implementations. The
document is fully supported by the WG and there has no concerns been
raised that there are better alternatives or that the document is not
useful.

Note to RFC Editor
 
Please perform the following edits: 

1) Update all psamp and ipfix references to the latest versions by the
date of the publication

2) Section 1: s/demand by measurement-based/demand of measurement-based/

3) Section 5, second paragraph: s/First of all it/First of all, it/

4) Section 13 s/[IPFIX-PROTO]B. Claise/[IPFIX-PROTO] B. Claise

5) in Section 1:

OLD
     classification for flow analysis. All these factors can lead to
     an overwhelming amount of measurement data, resulting in high
     demands on resources for measurement, storage, transport and
     post processing.
NEW
     classification for flow analysis. All these factors can lead to
     an overwhelming amount of measurement data, resulting in high
     demands on resources for measurement, storage, transfer and
     post processing.

6)  In Section 6.1
OLD
     Property match operations should be available for different
     protocol portions of the packet header:
      
           (i) the IP header (excluding options in IPv4, stacked
                headers in IPv6)
           
          (ii) transport header
NEW         
     Property match operations should be available for different
     protocol portions of the packet header:
      
           (i) the IP header (excluding options in IPv4, stacked
                headers in IPv6)
           
          (ii) transport protocol header

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce