Subject: RFC 5290 on Comments on the Usefulness of Simple Best-Effort Traffic

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:00:52 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5290

        Title:      Comments on the Usefulness of 
                    Simple Best-Effort Traffic 
        Author:     S. Floyd, M. Allman
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       July 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 48612
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5290.txt

This document presents some observations on "simple best-effort
traffic", defined loosely for the purposes of this document as
Internet traffic that is not covered by Quality of Service (QOS)
mechanisms, congestion-based pricing, cost-based fairness, admissions
control, or the like.  One observation is that simple best-effort
traffic serves a useful role in the Internet, and is worth keeping.
While differential treatment of traffic can clearly be useful, we
believe such mechanisms are useful as *adjuncts* to simple best-
effort traffic, not as *replacements* of simple best-effort
traffic.  A second observation is that for simple best-effort
traffic, some form of rough flow-rate fairness is a useful goal for
resource allocation, where "flow-rate fairness" is defined by the
goal of equal flow rates for different flows over the same path.  
This memo provides information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce