Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

The Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls) working group in the Routing Area
of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Last Modified: 2008-07-21

Chairs:

Chair(s):
    George Swallow <[email-masked]>
    Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):
    Ross Callon <[email-masked]> 
    David Ward <[email-masked]> 

Routing Area Advisor:
    Ross Callon <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
    General Discussion: [email-masked]
    To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
    Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mpls/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

The MPLS working group is responsible for standardizing a base
technology for using label switching and for the implementation of
label-switched paths over various packet based link-level
technologies, such as Packet-over-Sonet, Frame Relay, ATM, and
LAN technologies (e.g. all forms of Ethernet, Token Ring, etc.).
This includes procedures and protocols for the distribution of
labels between routers and encapsulation.

The working group is also responsible for specifying the necessary
management objects (e.g. as part of MIB modules) and OAM techniques for
the functionality specified in the base MPLS technology.

The first generation of the MPLS standards are largely complete,
and the current WG work items are:

 - Define requirements, mechanisms and protocol extensions for
point-to-multipoint (P2MP) MPLS

 - Define requirements, mechanisms and protocol extensions for
traffic engineered point-to-multipoint (P2MP) MPLS, including
soft preemption

 - Define requirements and mechanisms for MPLS OAM

 - Define an overall OAM framework for MPLS applications

 - MPLS-specific aspects of traffic engineering for multi-areas/multi-AS
in cooperation with the CCAMP WG

 - Determine (with CCAMP) what procedures are appropriate for evaluating
proposals to extend the MPLS and GMPLS protocols, and document these

 - Document current implementation practices for MPLS load sharing

 - Include extensions to the MPLS WG protocols and RFCs necessary to
create an MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS TP). The work on the MPLS TP will
be coordinated between the working groups (eg, MPLS, CCAMP, PWE3, and
L2PVN) that are chartered to do MPLS TP work.

The Working Group chairs tracking of the working group documents can be
viewed at http://www.tla-group.com/~mpls/mpls-wg-docs.htm

Goals and Milestones:

Done	  	Submit documents from original MPLS effort to IESG
Done	  	Framework for IP multicast over label-switched paths ready for 
		advancement.
Done	  	LDP fault tolerance specification ready for advancement to 
		Proposed Standard.
Done	  	Submit Definitions of Managed Objects for MultoiProtocol Label 
		Switching, Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) to the IESG for 
		publication as Proposed Standards
Done	  	Specification for MPLS-specific recovery ready for advancement.
Done	  	Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Forward Equivalency 
		Class-To-Next Hop Label Forwarding Entry Management Information 
		Base to the IESG for publication as Proposed Standards
Done	  	Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Switching Router
 
		(LSR), Management Information Base to the IESG for publication as 
		Proposed Standards
Done	  	Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Management Overview to
 
		the IESG for publication as Proposed Standards
Done	  	Submit Definitions of Textual Conventions for Multiprotocol Label

		Switching (MPLS) Management to the IESG for publication as 
		Proposed Standards
Done	  	Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Traffic Engineering 
		Management Information Base to the IESG for publication as 
		Proposed Standards
Done	  	Submit the Traffic Engineering Link MIB to the IESG for as a 
		Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submit a specification on Encapsulations to carry MPLS over IP and
 
		GRE to the IESG for as a Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submit specification on LSP Ping to the IESG for publication as a

		Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submit a document defining the scope, requirements, and issues to

		resolve for setup of P2MP TE LSPs (MPLS and GMPLS)
Done	  	Submit an OAM Framework Document to the IESG for publication as an
 
		Informational RFC
Done	  	Submit a BCP on MPLS load sharing to the IESG
Done	  	Submit specification on LSR Self Test to the IESG for publication

		as a Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submit document(s) specifying protocol extensions, enhancements 
		and mechanisms for setup of P2MP TE LSPs
Done	  	Submit point to multipoint TE MIB to IESG as proposed standard
Nov 2008	  	Submit EXP field clarification document to IESG as proposed 
			standard
Dec 2008	  	Submit a specification on Soft Pre-emption of LSP Tunnels to 
			the IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard
Jan 2009	  	Submit LDP extensions for P2MP LSPs
Mar 2009	  	Submit MPLS security framework for publication as an 
			informational RFC
Jun 2009	  	Submit requirements for point-to-multipoint extensions to 
			LDP
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce