Subject: This Evening's Technical plenary: RFC Editor Model

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 05:48:03 -0700 (PDT)

Colleagues,

A few words about the plenary tonight.

The technical plenary will open with the Host presentation and will
feature a note from  Eamon Ryan the Irish Minister for Communications,
Energy and Natural Resources.

During the IAB chair report there will be a pointer to work the IAB is
doing on defining a model for the RFC Editor function. See
http://www.iab.org/documents/resources/RFC-Editor-Model.html, and the
discussion on the RFC-Interest list[1]. There is to little time to go into
details, questions, and discussion tonight. Besides the discussion has an
impact beyond the IETF interests.

Therefore Russ will be asking the IETF to provide feedback on the model
during the Thursday plenary. Russ will enumerate those questions below.

Finally, and orthogonal to this issue, we may find ourselves running out
of time for open-microphone this evening. If that happens the IAB will
make itself available for questions tomorrow.

--Olaf Kolkman
  IAB chair

In my role as IETF Chair, I need to represent the IETF's view of the
proposed RFC Editor model to the IAB.  So, during the Thursday plenary
there are several questions that need to be addressed:

1. What additional information, if any, is needed to form an opinion?

2. Are there any critical roles missing from the proposed RFC Editor
model?

3. Are viable alternatives for the selection of the various roles,
especially the RFC Editor and the Independent Stream Approver roles, in
the proposed RFC Editor model missing?

-- Russ Housley
   IETF Chair

[1]
http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2008-May/000581.html
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce