Subject: Protocol Action: 'Session Traversal Utilities for (NAT) (STUN)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 02:18:16 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Session Traversal Utilities for (NAT) (STUN) '
   <draft-ietf-behave-rfc3489bis-18.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance 
Avoidance Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-rfc3489bis-18.txt

Technical Summary
 
  Simple Traversal of User Datagram Protocol (UDP) Through Network
  Address Translators (NATs) (STUN) is a lightweight protocol that
  allows applications to discover the presence and types of NATs and
  firewalls between them and the public Internet.  It also provides the
  ability for applications to determine the public Internet Protocol
  (IP) addresses allocated to them by the NAT.  STUN works with many
  existing NATs, and does not require any special behavior from them.
  As a result, it allows a wide variety of applications to work through
  existing NAT infrastructure.
 
Working Group Summary

  There was a strong consensus in the WG to publish this document.
 
Document Quality

  This is a revision and change of scope of the STUN protocol. Thus it
  benefits from a number of implementation experiences with RFC 3489. It
  has been well reviewed by the WG participants.
 
Personnel
 
  This document was shepherd by the responsible AD Magnus Westerlund due
  to an author being the WG chair.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce