Subject: RFC 5227 on IPv4 Address Conflict Detection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:17:44 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5227

        Title:      IPv4 Address Conflict Detection 
        Author:     S. Cheshire
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       July 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 53548
        Updates:    RFC0826

        I-D Tag:    draft-cheshire-ipv4-acd-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5227.txt

When two hosts on the same link attempt to use the same IPv4 address
at the same time (except in rare special cases where this has been
arranged by prior coordination), problems ensue for one or both hosts.
This document describes (i) a simple precaution that a host can take
in advance to help prevent this misconfiguration from happening, and
(ii) if this misconfiguration does occur, a simple mechanism by which
a host can passively detect, after the fact, that it has happened, so
that the host or administrator may respond to rectify the problem.  
[STANDARDS TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce