Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 13:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A modified charter has been submitted for the Multiprotocol Label 
Switching working group in the in the Routing Area of the IETF.  The 
IESG has not made any determination as yet.  The modified charter is 
provided below for informational purposes only.  Please send your 
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, July 8, 
2008.

This is an update to the MPLS charter in order to cover the MPLS-TP
work.

Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls)
---------------------------------------------------
Last Modified: 2008-06-13

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):

    George Swallow <[email-masked]> 
    Loa Andersson <[email-masked]> 

Routing Area Director(s):

    Ross Callon <[email-masked]> 
    David Ward <[email-masked]> 

Routing Area Advisor:

    Ross Callon <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:

    General Discussion: [email-masked]
    To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
    Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mpls/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

The MPLS working group is responsible for standardizing a base
technology for using label switching and for the implementation of
label-switched paths over various packet based link-level
technologies, such as Packet-over-Sonet, Frame Relay, ATM, and
LAN technologies (e.g. all forms of Ethernet, Token Ring, etc.).
This includes procedures and protocols for the distribution of
labels between routers and encapsulation.

The working group is also responsible for specifying the necessary
management objects (e.g. as part of MIB modules) and OAM techniques for
the functionality specified in the base MPLS technology.

The first generation of the MPLS standards are largely complete,
and the current WG work items are:

 - Define requirements, mechanisms and protocol extensions for
point-to-multipoint (P2MP) MPLS

 - Define requirements, mechanisms and protocol extensions for
traffic engineered point-to-multipoint (P2MP) MPLS, including
soft preemption

 - Define requirements and mechanisms for MPLS OAM

 - Define an overall OAM framework for MPLS applications

 - MPLS-specific aspects of traffic engineering for multi-areas/multi-AS
in cooperation with the CCAMP WG

 - Determine (with CCAMP) what procedures are appropriate for evaluating
proposals to extend the MPLS and GMPLS protocols, and document these

 - Document current implementation practices for MPLS load sharing

 - Include extensions to the MPLS WG protocols and RFCs necessary to
create an MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS TP). The work on the MPLS TP will
be coordinated between the working groups (eg, MPLS, CCAMP, PWE3, and
L2PVN) that are chartered to do MPLS TP work.

The Working Group chairs tracking of the working group documents can be
viewed at http://www.tla-group.com/~mpls/mpls-wg-docs.htm

Goals and Milestones:

Done  Submit documents from original MPLS effort to IESG 

Done  Framework for IP multicast over label-switched paths ready for
advancement. 

Done  LDP fault tolerance specification ready for advancement to
Proposed Standard. 

Done  Submit Definitions of Managed Objects for MultoiProtocol Label
Switching, Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) to the IESG for publication
as Proposed Standards 

Done  Specification for MPLS-specific recovery ready for advancement. 

Done  Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Forward Equivalency
Class-To-Next Hop Label Forwarding Entry Management Information Base to
the IESG for publication as Proposed Standards 

Done  Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Switching Router
(LSR), Management Information Base to the IESG for publication as
Proposed Standards 

Done  Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Management Overview to
the IESG for publication as Proposed Standards 

Done  Submit Definitions of Textual Conventions for Multiprotocol Label
Switching (MPLS) Management to the IESG for publication as Proposed
Standards 

Done  Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Traffic Engineering
Management Information Base to the IESG for publication as Proposed
Standards 

Done  Submit the Traffic Engineering Link MIB to the IESG for as a
Proposed Standard 

Done  Submit a specification on Encapsulations to carry MPLS over IP and
GRE to the IESG for as a Proposed Standard 

Done  Submit specification on LSP Ping to the IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard 

Done  Submit a document defining the scope, requirements, and issues to
resolve for setup of P2MP TE LSPs (MPLS and GMPLS) 

Done  Submit an OAM Framework Document to the IESG for publication as an
Informational RFC 

Done  Submit a BCP on MPLS load sharing to the IESG 

Done  Submit specification on LSR Self Test to the IESG for publication
as a Proposed Standard 

Done  Submit document(s) specifying protocol extensions, enhancements
and mechanisms for setup of P2MP TE LSPs 

Done  Submit point to multipoint TE MIB to IESG as proposed standard

Jun 2009  Submit requirements for point-to-multipoint extensions to LDP 

Jan 2009  Submit LDP extensions for P2MP LSPs 

Dec 2008  Submit a specification on Soft Pre-emption of LSP Tunnels to
the IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard 

Mar 2009  Submit MPLS security framework for publication as an
informational RFC 

Nov 2008  Submit EXP field clarification document to IESG as proposed
standard
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce