Subject: RFC 5340 on OSPF for IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:50:59 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5340

        Title:      OSPF for IPv6 
        Author:     R. Coltun, D. Ferguson,
                    J. Moy, A. Lindem
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       July 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      94
        Characters: 225664
        Obsoletes:  RFC2740

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-update-23.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5340.txt

This document describes the modifications to OSPF to support version
6 of the Internet Protocol (IPv6).  The fundamental mechanisms of
OSPF (flooding, Designated Router (DR) election, area support, Short
Path First (SPF) calculations, etc.) remain unchanged.  However, some
changes have been necessary, either due to changes in protocol
semantics between IPv4 and IPv6, or simply to handle the increased
address size of IPv6.  These modifications will necessitate
incrementing the protocol version from version 2 to version 3.  OSPF
for IPv6 is also referred to as OSPF version 3 (OSPFv3).

Changes between OSPF for IPv4, OSPF Version 2, and OSPF for IPv6 as
described herein include the following.  Addressing semantics have
been removed from OSPF packets and the basic Link State
Advertisements (LSAs).  New LSAs have been created to carry IPv6
addresses and prefixes.  OSPF now runs on a per-link basis rather
than on a per-IP-subnet basis.  Flooding scope for LSAs has been
generalized.  Authentication has been removed from the OSPF protocol
and instead relies on IPv6's Authentication Header and Encapsulating
Security Payload (ESP).

Even with larger IPv6 addresses, most packets in OSPF for IPv6 are
almost as compact as those in OSPF for IPv4.  Most fields and packet-
size limitations present in OSPF for IPv4 have been relaxed.  In
addition, option handling has been made more flexible.

All of OSPF for IPv4's optional capabilities, including demand
circuit support and Not-So-Stubby Areas (NSSAs), are also supported
in OSPF for IPv6.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce