Subject: RFC 5220 on Problem Statement for Default Address Selection in Multi-Prefix Environments: Operational Issues of RFC 3484 Default Rules

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:06:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5220

        Title:      Problem Statement for Default Address 
                    Selection in Multi-Prefix Environments: Operational
                    Issues 
                    of RFC 3484 Default Rules 
        Author:     A. Matsumoto, T. Fujisaki,
                    R. Hiromi, K. Kanayama
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       July 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 33661
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-addr-select-ps-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5220.txt

A single physical link can have multiple prefixes assigned to it.  In
that environment, end hosts might have multiple IP addresses and be
required to use them selectively.  RFC 3484 defines default source
and destination address selection rules and is implemented in a
variety of OSs.  But, it has been too difficult to use operationally
for several reasons.  In some environments where multiple prefixes are
assigned on a single physical link, the host using the default
address selection rules will experience some trouble in
communication.  This document describes the possible problems that
end hosts could encounter in an environment with multiple prefixes.  This 
memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce