Subject: RFC 5281 on Extensible Authentication Protocol Tunneled Transport Layer Security Authenticated Protocol Version 0 (EAP-TTLSv0)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:54:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5281

        Title:      Extensible Authentication Protocol Tunneled Transport 
                    Layer Security Authenticated Protocol Version 0 
                    (EAP-TTLSv0) 
        Author:     P. Funk, S. Blake-Wilson
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       August 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      51
        Characters: 117059
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-funk-eap-ttls-v0-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5281.txt

EAP-TTLS is an EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) method that
encapsulates a TLS (Transport Layer Security) session, consisting of
a handshake phase and a data phase.  During the handshake phase, the
server is authenticated to the client (or client and server are
mutually authenticated) using standard TLS procedures, and keying
material is generated in order to create a cryptographically secure
tunnel for information exchange in the subsequent data phase.  During
the data phase, the client is authenticated to the server (or client
and server are mutually authenticated) using an arbitrary
authentication mechanism encapsulated within the secure tunnel.  The
encapsulated authentication mechanism may itself be EAP, or it may
be another authentication protocol such as PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, or
MS-CHAP-V2.  Thus, EAP-TTLS allows legacy password-based authentication
protocols to be used against existing authentication databases,
while protecting the security of these legacy protocols against
eavesdropping, man-in-the-middle, and other attacks.  The data phase
may also be used for additional, arbitrary data exchange.  This memo 
provides information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce