Subject: RFC 5332 on MPLS Multicast Encapsulations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:58:10 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5332

        Title:      MPLS Multicast Encapsulations 
        Author:     T. Eckert, E. Rosen, Ed.,
                    R. Aggarwal, Y. Rekhter
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       August 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 22887
        Updates:    RFC3032, RFC4023

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-multicast-encaps-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5332.txt

RFC 3032 established two data link layer codepoints for MPLS, used to
distinguish whether the data link layer frame is carrying an MPLS
unicast or an MPLS multicast packet.  However, this usage was never
deployed.  This specification updates RFC 3032 by redefining the
meaning of these two codepoints.  Both codepoints can now be used to
carry multicast packets.  The second codepoint (formerly the
"multicast codepoint") is now to be used only on multiaccess media,
and it is to mean "the top label of the following label stack is an
upstream-assigned label".

RFC 3032 does not specify the destination address to be placed in the
"MAC DA" (Medium Access Layer Destination Address) field of an
ethernet frame that carries an MPLS multicast packet.  This document
provides that specification.

This document updates RFC 3032 and RFC 4023.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce